Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I am so, so glad to see that piece of poo poo have to go on record saying he did a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

EBB posted:

I am so, so glad to see that piece of poo poo have to go on record saying he did a crime.

he'll say he was fully exonerated after the pardon hits

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is like me pointing out the hypocrisies out loud. I do it so somebody says it out loud, so their truth doesn't become reality. I'm aware it is shouting into the void.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

EBB posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1201585030893645826?s=19

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I called Duncan Hunter’s office and wrote him three different times asking for him to support repealing the widow tax when McNally posted about his ordeal. All I ever got from him was a generic form letter that addressed none of my concerns and they started spamming my email with a bunch of pro trump poo poo.

What I am saying is gently caress that guy.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Jumping in on the 1491 talk to echo that it’s a must-read, and also it had a section in there derailing that bullshit “untamed wilderness” myth we were taught growing up. Large sections of the country were already cleared for Native American cities, but as someone else mentioned, the conquistadors’ diseases were like the world’s largest neutron bomb hitting the Americas.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Apparently there's a paper out there arguing that about half the effect that led to the little ice age following the medieval warm period can be attributed to the collapse of native American civilizations due to disease (particularly in the Amazon) and the following reforestation.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

trump is deified

the clans tell tales of him

few know the truth

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Doc Hawkins posted:

trump is deified

the clans tell tales of him

few know the truth
Lmao I haven't played that game in like 15 years at least but I still remember that intro almost line for line

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

No, not at all. The Monte Verde site in Chile has hearths, wooden posts, and human footprints. Best estimates using carbon isotope place the date at about 15ka, so actually just a bit older than the oldest material markers in North America.

The multiple pathways thing absolutely had been regarded as tinfoil in the past, but that was a product of how eurocentric and dogmatic the academic communities studying these questions were, even in the face of mounting evidence from colleagues in the far south of the Americas. Good reading on that topic in particular can be found in Red Earth, White Lies by Vine Deloria, Jr.

I'd qualify that, as Deloria has some extremely hoary ideas about Natives not having migrated here "because their mythology says they didn't."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mustang posted:

Lmao I haven't played that game in like 15 years at least but I still remember that intro almost line for line

Can you believe she went on from that series to write all of Uncharted, the most vanilla and boring of AAA games

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Eej posted:

Can you believe she went on from that series to write all of Uncharted, the most vanilla and boring of AAA games

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'd qualify that, as Deloria has some extremely hoary ideas about Natives not having migrated here "because their mythology says they didn't."

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm reading it as a geology student, and he claims to be a young earth creationist of a sort, so there are plenty of points in the book where it's like, "oooh kay". Still, he makes a lot of solid points about academia relying more on doctrine than evidence at intersections between science and indigenous culture or history. I've actually read a few things he wrote and always find them pretty powerful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The easiest explanation for the earlier dates of first known habitation in places like Monte Verde vs. North America is that they were established by a maritime population who followed the coastline, and most of their habitation sites along the West Coast got drowned by rising sea levels.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The easiest explanation for the earlier dates of first known habitation in places like Monte Verde vs. North America is that they were established by a maritime population who followed the coastline, and most of their habitation sites along the West Coast got drowned by rising sea levels.

Blasphemy. Global warming/cooling is not real.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This thing is going to clusterfuck hilariously and was a monumental self-own by the Barr DOJ.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1201657886860075014

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

This thing is going to clusterfuck hilariously and was a monumental self-own by the Barr DOJ.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1201657886860075014

I don't get it? If executive privilege protects doing these borderline(?) criminal acts, how could investigations in 2016 not be justified? Unless these acts weren't criminal and therefore executive privilege isn't a protection?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't get it? If executive privilege protects doing these borderline(?) criminal acts, how could investigations in 2016 not be justified? Unless these acts weren't criminal and therefore executive privilege isn't a protection?

It's not a logic thing. There must always be a new conspiracy theory. If the FBI guy says Mifsud wasn't a plant, well then obviously they didn't listen to Georgie Papadop that Mifsud is Western intelligence. Or, how could the FBI guy know what the CIA was doing? Why didn't he talk to the CIA? Or wait, gently caress that, the CIA was in the tank for shillary, they can't be trusted.

It's QAnon. There's never an ending, just a deeper conspiracy. Otherwise, Barr can't stick close to Donnie.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Suicide Watch posted:

Way too much thought. Strong Daddy Trump doesn't like *thing*. Therefore *thing* is bad-wrong and must be stopped. Anyone not working towards those goals is being purged from the top down.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets...ingawful.com%2F

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I'm curious as to why he's reporting on that now? The NYT article is from July. Unless he's just highlighting how many times Trump has intervened in the case?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Those medals are probably being upgraded to DSMs or Navy Crosses.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/GoingMedieval/status/1201468185754640384

I would like to think whatever grant they got to study this was just an excuse to tour Europe and then come back with the obvious and known answer

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Who could've guessed that Jeffery Beauregard Sessions would be the best AG of the Trump administration?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Who could've guessed that Jeffery Beauregard Sessions would be the best AG of the Trump administration?

Please.

It's Jefferson Beauregard Sessions the Third.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

A Bad Poster posted:

Please.

It's Jefferson Beauregard Sessions the Third.

My apologies. We'll just call him "poo poo stain" for short.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Who'd have guessed he be one of the only ones in the administration to have something resembling a conscience?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

This is perfectly reasonable, and probably correct, anyway. The biggest hurdle in understanding it is definitely a tandem between the sea level rise that followed the last glacial maxima and the perishability of their material culture. The sea level rise could also provide lots of opportunity for artifacts to be sedimented in place and aged by stratigraphy, much moreso had it occurred on a tectonically passive margin. Unfortunately, stuff like cedar bark skirts or yucca fiber sandles and what have you don't take much abuse, especially under those kind of geochemical regimes. Monte Verde was sedimented over by muddy stuff in anoxic conditions. Stuff left soaked in water, on a sandy beach or washed to sea isn't going to make it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
There's also the part where earthquakes break everything.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
that's what I meant about the tectonic margin

all that south america poo poo is riding sidesaddle on a subducting plate turning everything into arc volcanoes all around it

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

This is probably correct. I grew up in SE Alaska and when UA archeology applied ancient sea level maps to their searches they found a village site pretty much immediately. I think it was Prince of Wales with 12-13ka hearth sites right at spot where a salmon river used meet the ocean. There's just never money for underwater archeology besides modern shipwrecks. Or ancient American archeology. Or for much of any archeology in a rainforest because "what would be left anyway?"

There's also a 12ka fish trap in the Juneau City Museum that is basically a carbon copy of designs from a couple hundred years ago. Found in anoxic mud in Montana Creek and excavated by UAS. Really cool stuff, I'm n'thing 1491 and the sequel 1493 as they are both fantastic books.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's that book that says the chinese discovered america before columbus and used otters to fish for food

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know there's zero evidence for it, but I like the idea that the Malians made it to South America almost 100 years before Columbus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Bakr_II

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's that book that says the chinese discovered america before columbus and used otters to fish for food

That's 1421: The Year China Discovered the World aka the bad 14XX book.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy gently caress Samoa

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/117917961/samoan-government-to-close-down-private-sector-in-bid-vaccinate-masses

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I was actually putting together notes last night on this to incorporate into my micro lecture this afternoon. The USA had the biggest measles outbreak in ~40 years last year and then we get stuff like this. There's no new strain of measles, it hasn't gotten any tougher or more resistant to anything or easier to spread. This is 100% entirely due to people voluntarily choosing not to vaccinate. There is no other explanation than human stupidity.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

This is horrifying, and will be completely ignored by anti vaxxers. And no one will care because 24 hour news cycle goldfish brains.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean given how crushingly poor a lot of the Pacific Islands are, I think there's a bit more to it than people just saying no, knowingly.

But I get your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Anti-vaxxers probably: "Dead kids don't get autism, so I don't see what the problem is!"