Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

galagazombie posted:

Onix really is a masterful case of teaching through gameplay. Look how his design is so tied to his role in Gen 1. His stats are actually bad because he's the first boss, his typing is specifically made to teach kids to not just select Tackle. His moveset with Bide is meant to teach you that sometimes you should use you're buffs/debuffs and status moves instead of always selecting a damage move, and his design of being a giant intimidating rock serpent shows you the game is going to move on to crazy stuff beyond just little lizards and pigeons. Honestly he should get a massive buff out of respect for his role as Pokemon's first boss. Especially now since he no longer has to serve that role.

Also he looks cooler than Steelix so he should be good on that basis alone. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Scyther and Scizor have the same stat total. Do it gamefreak. Buff Onix up to Steelix's BST

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Dexit's not a big deal for me, but some of their decisions are a little baffling. Example: we got fifty Water/Ground types (all with similar abilities), but no room for Heracross apparently.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Gonna be home in about 30 minutes. I got a bunch of breedject Farfetched with it's hidden ability. Most in luxury balls, others in ultra. Anyone want or need one?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I just had to send my left joycon in for repairs because it wasn't charging-- does the casual controls setting let you move the camera in the wild area at all?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Will the official Nintendo tournaments still have Dynamax? It’s going to be hilarious to see those unfold.

I thought Smogon and VGC were always two entirely separate things.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bell_ posted:

I thought Smogon and VGC were always two entirely separate things.

They are, so unless even Nintendo realizes how poorly balanced dynamaxing is it's gonna be allowed at VGC, so get ready for the World Championships to be a clusterfuck.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I really wish Galarian Corsola was Rock/Ghost instead of just Ghost. We don’t have a Rock/Ghost yet and even dead coral is still a mineral.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I just had to send my left joycon in for repairs because it wasn't charging-- does the casual controls setting let you move the camera in the wild area at all?

I'd say go get a wired controller you can plug into the USB port. I use those half the time anyway. Like a gamecube controller.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Nessa posted:

I really wish Galarian Corsola was Rock/Ghost instead of just Ghost. We don’t have a Rock/Ghost yet and even dead coral is still a mineral.

I feel like there's been so many chances for a ghost/rock type.

Sableye could've had the type (dark/ghost is cooler though),
Cofagrigus could've been it,
Stakataka could've had it (and kept the paired-theme with Blacephelon),
Stojourner could've been it
Cursola could've gotten it if not kept it from G-corsola.
Runerigus certainly looks like it and has more moves for it

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

TaurusOxford posted:

They are, so unless even Nintendo realizes how poorly balanced dynamaxing is it's gonna be allowed at VGC, so get ready for the World Championships to be a clusterfuck.

Dynamax seems more balanced in Doubles from what I gather, at least, and VGC is doubles all the way.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does anyone have the guide for Pokemon by badge/level availability? I swear there was a chart outlining where/when you could get stuff. I know Serebii has all the Wild Area groups listed but it's formatted really inconveniently and not helpful for what I want to know.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ultima66 posted:

On another note, the suspect test thread for Dynamax is now up: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-ss-ou-suspect-process-round-1-boom-boom-pow.3657265/

This honestly seems like it's set up to be the biggest landslide vote in Smogon history. EVERY member of the OU council thinks it should be banned. Have fun with Dynamax while it lasts, I guess.
Who gives a poo poo about these people and their weird council of elders approach to their own tournament. All they’re going to do is make themselves even more useless as a source of information for builds/battling for the average player who wants the equivalent of a Hearthstone “netdeck” to play other scrubs online. There’s also a 50-50 chance at least that they end up with a meta game that is boring as gently caress with heavy turtling and defense due to the combination of dexit and their own decisions.

Every competitive game has had a revision that feels “unfair” to pros. Capcom fighting games have done it a lot. People hold up Dota 2 as some masterclass of game balancing, but there have been patches like that one Troll Warlord patch that made pros stream other games in protest. It happens.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Who gives a poo poo about these people and their weird council of elders approach to their own tournament. All they’re going to do is make themselves even more useless as a source of information for builds/battling for the average player who wants the equivalent of a Hearthstone “netdeck” to play other scrubs online. There’s also a 50-50 chance at least that they end up with a meta game that is boring as gently caress with heavy turtling and defense due to the combination of dexit and their own decisions.

Every competitive game has had a revision that feels “unfair” to pros. Capcom fighting games have done it a lot. People hold up Dota 2 as some masterclass of game balancing, but there have been patches like that one Troll Warlord patch that made pros stream other games in protest. It happens.

Some goonsay nerd posted:

In addition to the buffs given, any Pokemon can Dynamax and it does not require an item to utilize. Dynamaxing Pokemon have absurd buffs, and the player has absolute luxury to use them whenever they so please. This allows for an abundance of randomness and a lack of skillful gameplay.

This absolutely reads like someone whining that their method of doing something, where all the steps are known to every player, might be changed. And that person is very salty about it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
smogon have taken a game series that has insane competitive potential and a dev team that literally throws poo poo at the wall and sees what sticks and turned it more than a decade of real and fun formats. gently caress outta here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can understand banning Dynamaxing, but this is... huh??

quote:

Dynamaxing Pokemon have absurd buffs, and the player has absolute luxury to use them whenever they so please. This allows for an abundance of randomness and a lack of skillful gameplay.

Like, they do have "absurd buffs", but both players have access to those buffs so it's not like one side is vastly different from the other? You also can't use them whenever you please, you have a three turn limit on Dynamaxing and you can only use it once per battle so you have to be strategic for when you use it. There's absolutely zero randomness involved?? :confused:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ungulateman posted:

smogon have taken a game series that has insane competitive potential and a dev team that literally throws poo poo at the wall and sees what sticks and turned it more than a decade of real and fun formats. gently caress outta here

Well, this sure doesn't sound like anyone who likes competition. This sounds like it was written by a grognard who will toss a controller if they lost in SSBU and scream about purity or something.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
What is this generation's preferred catching monster? I only bothered to catch about 15 mons during the campaign because I'm lazy I couldn't be bothered I'm bad at catching.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Some of the arguments are poorly written like that one but the core among the better written ones is that it overemphasizes the skill of guessing when the opponent is going to dynamax, at the expense of other, more fun gameplay. The player who is good at guessing dynamax timing but worse at other aspects of the game will beat the player who is better at everything else. Or so they claim, I don't play on showdown

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Left Ventricle posted:

What is this generation's preferred catching monster? I only bothered to catch about 15 mons during the campaign because I'm lazy I couldn't be bothered I'm bad at catching.

Gallade is still good for non-raids, Eternatus for raids.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Macaluso posted:

I can understand banning Dynamaxing, but this is... huh??

Like, they do have "absurd buffs", but both players have access to those buffs so it's not like one side is vastly different from the other? You also can't use them whenever you please, you have a three turn limit on Dynamaxing and you can only use it once per battle so you have to be strategic for when you use it. There's absolutely zero randomness involved?? :confused:

pretty sure that person doesn't know how to distinguish 'randomness' from 'unpredictability'.

in gen 6, mega evolution was generally insanely busted, but it takes up an item slot and the pokemon that are able to mega evolve are predefined, so you can plan around it. dynamax doesn't require the item slot and literally any pokemon on your team can use it.

cheetah7071 posted:

Some of the arguments are poorly written like that one but the core among the better written ones is that it overemphasizes the skill of guessing when the opponent is going to dynamax, at the expense of other, more fun gameplay. The player who is good at guessing dynamax timing but worse at other aspects of the game will beat the player who is better at everything else. Or so they claim, I don't play on showdown

yeah this is definitely the relevant factor here. it's a mechanic that is fundamentally overcentralising, and it doesn't even have the opportunity costs that mega evolutions or z-moves had.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 3, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CainFortea posted:

This absolutely reads like someone whining that their method of doing something, where all the steps are known to every player, might be changed. And that person is very salty about it.

The smogon people read like angry Twitter #BBNDers who haven’t realized it yet. They’re trying to wring a balanced playstyle out of a game that may not actually have one. You can kind of tell when someone laments the absence of Chansey or some other departed mon that could control some part of the balance.

They’re trying to preserve the balance they had from past gens instead of just accepting that this is a mich more wild, anything goes sort of game, and Dexit is certainly part of that since they’re working with a more limited set of monsters and moves. My favorite part of the debate is when someone says, “hey these Gigantamax mons are mostly pretty okay, since they’re identified from the get go and don’t have this drama of anything and everything being buffed.” And then someone says, “but that’s arbitrary” and apparently one of the political leaders of the forum agrees with them. As if these decisions aren’t arbitrary to start.

It’s basically a more intellectual form of #BBND hate-posting.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I finally beat the story. My thoughts:

* I liked it.

Also Pokemon Memories owns (Spoilers).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Aren't Gigantamax Pokemon banned from online play anyway, so making them legal would just make a metagame with them even less accurate to the ingame one?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I feel like there's been so many chances for a ghost/rock type.

Sableye could've had the type (dark/ghost is cooler though),
Cofagrigus could've been it,
Stakataka could've had it (and kept the paired-theme with Blacephelon),
Stojourner could've been it
Cursola could've gotten it if not kept it from G-corsola.
Runerigus certainly looks like it and has more moves for it

Yeah, Runerigus would have been a good choice for that too. Wasted opportunity.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Left Ventricle posted:

Gallade, equip with false swipe and thunder wave.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Even without dynamaxing, stall, and by extension any bit of defensive play is at its absolute weakest this gen since a ton of walls got taken out, and a lot more heavy hitting Pokemon got introduced.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ungulateman posted:

Aren't Gigantamax Pokemon banned from online play anyway, so making them legal would just make a metagame with them even less accurate to the ingame one?

They’re banned from the online tournament Nintendo is running and from VGC, probably because they’re intended to be timed events, rare captures, and some are paywalled like the Let’s Go twosome.

The argument is bankrupt because fundamentally these people are making their own rules that are different from Nintendo’s anyway, so it must be asked if the point to make rules that are Nintendo compliant or to be better than those. They already allow at least one mon from a timed promotion that hasn’t been seen in twenty years, so obviously they have different priorities than Nintendo does.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

The smogon people read like angry Twitter #BBNDers who haven’t realized it yet. They’re trying to wring a balanced playstyle out of a game that may not actually have one. You can kind of tell when someone laments the absence of Chansey or some other departed mon that could control some part of the balance.

They’re trying to preserve the balance they had from past gens instead of just accepting that this is a mich more wild, anything goes sort of game, and Dexit is certainly part of that since they’re working with a more limited set of monsters and moves. My favorite part of the debate is when someone says, “hey these Gigantamax mons are mostly pretty okay, since they’re identified from the get go and don’t have this drama of anything and everything being buffed.” And then someone says, “but that’s arbitrary” and apparently one of the political leaders of the forum agrees with them. As if these decisions aren’t arbitrary to start.

It’s basically a more intellectual form of #BBND hate-posting.

Completely different issues, Smogon has been wrangling out something more or less balanced with focus on non-VGC formats and most importantly 6vs6 for years now.
If it needs to remove the gimmick of the generation because the gimmick itself is busted and for each gimmick abuser that gets banned another one pops up, then so be it.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

They’re banned from the online tournament Nintendo is running and from VGC, probably because they’re intended to be timed events, rare captures, and some are paywalled like the Let’s Go twosome.

The argument is bankrupt because fundamentally these people are making their own rules that are different from Nintendo’s anyway, so it must be asked if the point to make rules that are Nintendo compliant or to be better than those. They already allow at least one mon from a timed promotion that hasn’t been seen in twenty years, so obviously they have different priorities than Nintendo does.

Wait, what promotion is that?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Wait, what promotion is that?

Wish Chansey/Blissey, I guess. All the way from Gen 3.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

qnqnx posted:

Completely different issues, Smogon has been wrangling out something more or less balanced with focus on non-VGC formats and most importantly 6vs6 for years now.
If it needs to remove the gimmick of the generation because the gimmick itself is busted and for each gimmick abuser that gets banned another one pops up, then so be it.

They can do what they want with their own ladder system. But if your guides and theorycrafying is going to assume the gimmick of the generation doesn’t exist, it’s not useful to most players.

If I come across as salty, it’s because I’m new to the game and not aware of any other place to look for build crafting and information for how to make the most of my favorites. Even Google searches for “(monstername) build” is going to turn up their forum. They’re cutting a hell of a lot out of the game to fit their own pleasure.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
They still make writeups for the official online formats. Even the 3v3 singles one where some sets actually recommend OHKO moves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Here's the hot tip Craptacular so you can stop cry posting. Most of the sets for sweepers are gonna be the same if you DMax or not. The only thing that you might change is drop a coverage move to put on something that raises a stat the pokemon likes instead of going for pure coverage, but probably not.

Also Dynamaxing sucks rear end, it's got all the same power as Mega Evolutions but you come out of it with massive boosts you get for just attacking so basically the already good sweepers/clean up pokemon are just better than anything else cause of course you're gonna DMax them because putting buffs on an already strong pokemon is just better (Ignoring the whole, doubling HP and upping defenses meaning things that could have killed you before can't). Megas at least usually had some gimmick to them and took up your item slot. Dmaxing is just....playing around the already OP/Top tier pokes and making them even stronger.

It blows rear end and that we lost the gimmick that at least made some old lovely pokemon way more viable (RIP Mega Pinsir, Altariar, Lopunny, and Beedrill) for it is just salt in the wound.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Making a tournament format to your liking is fine. You don't want to deal with another layer of complexity, then so be it. People can play their games in whatever manner sparks joy for them.

But trying to say it's somehow "random" or unfair or whatever is laughable.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Here's the hot tip Craptacular so you can stop cry posting. Most of the sets for sweepers are gonna be the same if you DMax or not. The only thing that you might change is drop a coverage move to put on something that raises a stat the pokemon likes instead of going for pure coverage, but probably not.

Also Dynamaxing sucks rear end, it's got all the same power as Mega Evolutions but you come out of it with massive boosts you get for just attacking so basically the already good sweepers/clean up pokemon are just better than anything else cause of course you're gonna DMax them because putting buffs on an already strong pokemon is just better (Ignoring the whole, doubling HP and upping defenses meaning things that could have killed you before can't). Megas at least usually had some gimmick to them and took up your item slot. Dmaxing is just....playing around the already OP/Top tier pokes and making them even stronger.

It blows rear end and that we lost the gimmick that at least made some old lovely pokemon way more viable (RIP Mega Pinsir, Altariar, Lopunny, and Beedrill) for it is just salt in the wound.

Basically this. Dynamaxing is an awful mechanic that has too much weight attached to it. Even in doubles where it's more balanced it's still overwhelming and the game would be more interesting without it.

As for megas the pokemon that needed the viability boost should just get new perma evos so we don't have to deal with gimmick creep.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

To be fair, they compensated by deleting said old lovely Pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eimi posted:

Basically this. Dynamaxing is an awful mechanic that has too much weight attached to it. Even in doubles where it's more balanced it's still overwhelming and the game would be more interesting without it.

As for megas the pokemon that needed the viability boost should just get new perma evos so we don't have to deal with gimmick creep.

No cause imagining loving Mega Metagross with an item is just....a nightmare.

Got Banded Mega Pinsir just pressing Feint all day. A nightmare world.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Where do people tend to follow their formats anyway? I enjoy their tiers since I suck at builds, but if I'm playing a linked battle over Nintendo's system, what's to stop me from using dynamax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No cause imagining loving Mega Metagross with an item is just....a nightmare.

Got Banded Mega Pinsir just pressing Feint all day. A nightmare world.

Well it should be balanced to be a normal mon and not a mega obviously, if it just had mega stats yeah that'd be terrible.