Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mila kunis posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/dec/02/hugh-grant-i-want-to-do-my-bit-to-prevent-a-national-catastrophe

:confused:

Am I being thick, but what precisely is 'tactical' about campaigning for a lib dem in a constituency where they placed third last election?

The "tactic" is to split the vote and ensure the tory candidate gets voted in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wouldn't say I work hard at art, my linework is incredibly sloppy, but it's good to know that it's left an impression on someone. I don't make a lot of political comics at the moment because I can't predict when inspiration will strike and sometimes I just have nothing.

For some reason inspiration has struck on one of the Fallout 3 LPs so I draw a lot there now.

Feels relevant to share this David Lynch video on creativity.

And we are all our own worst critics, especially artists. For what it's worth, I enjoy it when you post stuff, it makes me laugh, you experiment with perspective and form, and have a nice readable flow.

If you want to work on your line work, try practising with some examples of Ligne claire, which are entirely about, well, clarity of lines :v: Although it tends to lose sense of movement, and feels kinda static, (again your particular strenth is flow and dynanism - but it's worth to experiment with the different style, feel its strengths and weaknesses).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Skills wallets?

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1192812081483005953

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hmmmm Labour is proposing abolishing tuition fees, making education free for everyone... I wonder what the most centrist, meltiest, actually useless way of gaining student voters would be...

I know!

quote:

A Liberal Democrat government will provide every adult with £10,000 to spend on education and training throughout your lives. This “Skills Wallet” is meant to give every person the opportunity to retrain and upskill for jobs that we can’t even imagine yet.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm sure it's already been pointed out, but the composition of this clearly suggests that Jo; wants you to choose more of the same

zhar
May 3, 2019

Wachter posted:

I'm sure it's already been pointed out, but the composition of this clearly suggests that Jo; wants you to choose more of the same

Isn't that the whole lib dem pitch?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pochoclo posted:

Hmmmm Labour is proposing abolishing tuition fees, making education free for everyone... I wonder what the most centrist, meltiest, actually useless way of gaining student voters would be...

I know!
Not even sure its an attempt to get students is it? From what little I have read about it, it feels more targetted at people who are already in work - subsidising the training and career development of middle class urban professionals in late 20s-30s, who are anxious about Corbyn but not ready to go full Tory yet

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Seems I'm taking over our CLP's social media engine. Been reading documents all day about the systems we use and all that, and now have a huge headache (also, well nervous; I get to budget it and all that). Plus, hustings tomorrow night. I like being busy, even if in a losing cause, as Chelmsford hasn't changed hands in 69 years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tigey posted:

Not even sure its an attempt to get students is it? From what little I have read about it, it feels more targetted at people who are already in work - subsidising the training and career development of middle class urban professionals in late 20s-30s, who are anxious about Corbyn but not ready to go full Tory yet

It would cover an entire third of the tuition fees that Jo and her mates decided students should be paying. If that doesn't bring them on board I don't know what will.

Trickjaw posted:

Seems I'm taking over our CLP's social media engine. Been reading documents all day about the systems we use and all that, and now have a huge headache (also, well nervous; I get to budget it and all that). Plus, hustings tomorrow night. I like being busy, even if in a losing cause, as Chelmsford hasn't changed hands in 69 years.

Good luck, really. Swaying even one constituency of South Essex would be pretty incredible. I know it's possible though.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 3, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Trickjaw posted:

Possibly teaching grandma to suck eggs but:

Be careful because there are strict rules over photos, buildings, businesses that can appear.

Apparently labour (nationally) pay out £000s each year in fines when peoples' images or businesses have been used without permission. The national party have made it clear this time that they will NOT be paying any fines, these will be payable by the CLP and photographer directly.

To be safe (and I know this can be galling) but only use photos of actual members. Members of the public have to sign a release - verbal permission is NOT ENOUGH.

You also shouldn't use public buildings eg hospitals, libraries and if you are doing a street scene, it's ok if it's general but don't stand outside a specific shop or business in a way which suggests endorsement by that business of labour.

Obviously you will see thousands of posted images including fro local parties which appear to violate these conditions and maybe no one does anything about it, but you might be the unlucky one.

We have a press officer who vets all our postings in the labour party name plus we share anything issued directly by labour or welsh labour.

If you are intending to do paid adverts you will need to get involved with the dreaded Promote system. It's taken our person day after day to get through all the various promote requirements and then the business facebook requirements. (I did it in 2017 and it seems more onerous this year). And then arbitrarily facebook decides she's not authorized and she has to go through it all over again. And if you are paying for adverts you need to be absolutely scrupulous about the paid coverage - putting a central point and a radius around it is absolutely NOT sufficient. I have spent hours on google earth with the official constituency KLM file mapping postcodes to make sure we don't go over into neighbouring constituencies.

Sorry if you know all that anyway (but hey, someone else might be reading who doesn't).

CC instead of BCC chat:

One of our local members did that tonight in error - fortunately with a subset of members who are doing the canvassing. Let's hope none of the 20 people included get funny about it!

PS If you want to poo poo post about Johnson and share dodgy memes, it's ok to do it under your own name! Try not to do it with your official CLP hat on!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 3, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wachter posted:

MORE SKILLS
OF THE
SAME WALLETS

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Clearly Jo is saying that if you have squirrel-killing skills she'll put money in your wallets.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone else watch Dispatches: Growing Up Poor? When Danielle found out she failed all but one of her GCSEs and started sobbing "But I tried so hard" I cried so hard I had to pause it. She spent her final GCSE year living in a bedsit with her mum after her parents' divorce, living off food banks and battling suicidal thoughts.

She deserved better, and I don't just mean grades.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVwdKfLOa5o

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lady Demelza posted:

Did anyone else watch Dispatches: Growing Up Poor? When Danielle found out she failed all but one of her GCSEs and started sobbing "But I tried so hard" I cried so hard I had to pause it. She spent her final GCSE year living in a bedsit with her mum after her parents' divorce, living off food banks and battling suicidal thoughts.

I've recorded it to watch tomorrow as we were busy tonight. I'm expecting it to be harrowing and heartbreaking, every clip C4 have released on Twitter has done me in.

e: bah quote is not edit

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

I didn't watch it, but I can imagine.
So many kids do not have a settled life to do homework, study, use a computer. Let alone being cold and malnourished doesn't exactly help intellectual activity.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"If that's not an accurate representation of 2019, I don’t know what is."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope every day is a Bounty

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Possibly teaching grandma to suck eggs but:

Be careful because there are strict rules over photos, buildings, businesses that can appear.

Apparently labour (nationally) pay out £000s each year in fines when peoples' images or businesses have been used without permission. The national party have made it clear this time that they will NOT be paying any fines, these will be payable by the CLP and photographer directly.

To be safe (and I know this can be galling) but only use photos of actual members. Members of the public have to sign a release - verbal permission is NOT ENOUGH.

You also shouldn't use public buildings eg hospitals, libraries and if you are doing a street scene, it's ok if it's general but don't stand outside a specific shop or business in a way which suggests endorsement by that business of labour.

Obviously you will see thousands of posted images including fro local parties which appear to violate these conditions and maybe no one does anything about it, but you might be the unlucky one.

We have a press officer who vets all our postings in the labour party name plus we share anything issued directly by labour or welsh labour.

If you are intending to do paid adverts you will need to get involved with the dreaded Promote system. It's taken our person day after day to get through all the various promote requirements and then the business facebook requirements. (I did it in 2017 and it seems more onerous this year). And then arbitrarily facebook decides she's not authorized and she has to go through it all over again. And if you are paying for adverts you need to be absolutely scrupulous about the paid coverage - putting a central point and a radius around it is absolutely NOT sufficient. I have spent hours on google earth with the official constituency KLM file mapping postcodes to make sure we don't go over into neighbouring constituencies.

Sorry if you know all that anyway (but hey, someone else might be reading who doesn't).

CC instead of BCC chat:

One of our local members did that tonight in error - fortunately with a subset of members who are doing the canvassing. Let's hope none of the 20 people included get funny about it!

PS If you want to poo poo post about Johnson and share dodgy memes, it's ok to do it under your own name! Try not to do it with your official CLP hat on!

All wise words. Yeah, Promote is what has been boring me to tears today. It's all going to be paid ads, so we will see. I'll probably bother you about this in future, if I may. Our CLP is... less than dynamic.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

https://twitter.com/SassoStan/status/1201645531413397504?s=20

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tigey posted:

It was observed a couple of times on the podcast that the real outcome here (Whether deliberate goal or just lib dem dipshittery) would be funnelling money into way-over-the-odds "training" junkets and other bollocks like that where you end up with a useless scrap of paper and someone's made out like a bandit.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend watching it to anybody in this thread. I certainly didn't.

We already know things are poo poo, and the majority of us are already trying to make things better. Being shown exactly how poo poo things are yet again isn't going to make my hatred of the Tories burn any brighter or make me work any harder for a Labour government. It's just going to depress me.

Being constantly exposed to this sort of bad news is objectively bad for your mental health. The stories of these people desperately need to be told, but we're (largely) not the audience that needs to see it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend watching it to anybody in this thread. I certainly didn't.

We already know things are poo poo, and the majority of us are already trying to make things better. Being shown exactly how poo poo things are yet again isn't going to make my hatred of the Tories burn any brighter or make me work any harder for a Labour government. It's just going to depress me.

Being constantly exposed to this sort of bad news is objectively bad for your mental health. The stories of these people desperately need to be told, but we're (largely) not the audience that needs to see it.

Yeah, I will be watching it, but we're not really the audience. It's something wavering voters need to see though and all Tories need it piped into them 24/7 Clockwork Orange style.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Lady Demelza posted:

This was honestly the worst part for me also, but a part of that is probably that I had a similar experience with my A-levels, where I was going through some really poo poo family circumstances and basically failed everything as a result. Thankfully I was able to turn my life around and within a decade I'd graduated from Leeds Uni with good marks and a lot of pride in what I'd done, so I wish it could somehow be shown to her that the grades she received aren't the end of it all. I still remember the crushing despair of thinking I'd thrown everything away when I saw those results 10 years ago, it's so hosed up that people her age are led to believe that there's no coming back from a poor results day. I really hope she gets the chance to bounce back and be supported - Dispatches really shows how horrendously the Tories have failed her in so many ways.

Edit: the worst part was probably her saying that she had tried really hard to try and pass. You loving know that the most ghoulish people in the country would say that clearly she must not have tried that hard, she failed everything! but the effort spent would have been in so many other ways. Managing depression, expectations, suicidal thoughts, anxiety over her parents' issues, growing up in impoverishment, etc. Honestly, gently caress every piece of poo poo who could watch this and still vote Tory. You must be an actual loving sociopath.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 3, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/GoCastroGoGoGo/status/1201618779089907715

https://twitter.com/marie_kate2/status/1201612087790882820

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 3, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Absolutely shocking interview by Jo Swinson.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I was gathering some info on Tory majorities and why LAB -7 can indicate a hung parliament, and found that the key seat where Labour will get a majority if they flip everything up to it is Uxbridge and South Ruislip. It's serendipitous to say the least.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think Jeremy Corbyn as a personal person is more liked generally by MPs than Abbot or McDonnell.
Remember though it was at the last minute (literally!) that he got the last nomination needed to go on the ballot!

Thinking back on the 2015 leadership election made me look up what people were saying at the time and, lol https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/labour-leadership-election-who-should-i-vote-for

quote:

Many in the Labour Party aren't ready to accept that they need a Blairite candidate to win power

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, gently caress me with a Toblerone.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192187159324844032

John Redwood's seat has shifted from ultra-safe to CON/LD marginal.

E: and the LD candidate is ex-Tory Philip Lee.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

^^^ are we sure this isn't some bullshit trying to take votes from Labour?

https://twitter.com/A_illustration/status/1201585427465068551

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

Well, gently caress me with a Toblerone.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192187159324844032

John Redwood's seat has shifted from ultra-safe to CON/LD marginal.

E: and the LD candidate is ex-Tory Philip Lee.

Oh dear me, someones got their columns all fecked. I can't see a swing like that.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 3, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The only thing I can ever think about when someone mentions John Redwood is when he was Welsh Secretary under Major and went to the Welsh Tory Conference and acted like a dumbass when they were singing the Welsh anthem because he didn't know the words and clearly had never even heard the tune before.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/GaryGibbonBlog/status/1201616036409180160
'When you go back to the Tony Blair days, you know, you had a great leader and you knew what he stood for - rightly or wrongly - and you trusted him, to a certain extent. Whereas with Corbyn, nobody knows!'

'For the people that run this country, they're extemely wealthy, they're billionaires. And for Brexit to happen, it'll be a disaster for the very, very wealthy people. Not for the likes of us. So I think that's why it's taken three years and we're no nearer.'

'Boris Johnson is such a character. He's a buffoon to some extent, but he's a lovable buffoon. And straight-talking! You'll get an honest answer out of him - it might not be what you like, but he'll answer it. And everything he's saying, he has a rapport with me.'

all these people claim to have voted Labour in 2017 :shepface:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Wrap it up, Corbyn's a ruskie and the Tories wanting to sell off the NHS is a russian lie

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1201566025067708417

This poo poo's being boosted by goon hero Brown Moses of all people

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dontcha know that everything is a Russian plot nowadays, except Tories taking bribes from Russian oligarchs, of course.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

mila kunis posted:

Wrap it up, Corbyn's a ruskie and the Tories wanting to sell off the NHS is a russian lie

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1201566025067708417

This poo poo's being boosted by goon hero Brown Moses of all people
LOL
https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1201576318711803904
If only Deborah was, say, the Foreign Affairs Editor with Sky News, she might be able to ask someone about this, instead of Just Tweeting Questions.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Weren't we being told there was nothing to see in the trade documents because they'd been published publicly months ago? How can they simultaneously publicly available documents and also Russian election interference?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

oh have we covered the split in Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath between a) the subset of independence supporters who feel like on balance one should probably not campaign for a SNP candidate that has been expelled from the party for antisemitism allegations and b) a bunch of lovely other folks including our dear friend Wings who decide everyone should vote for the dickhead regardless because they refuse to ever think about voting for a Green and he's a total transphobe so they liked him anyway

so looking good for labour over there

Did you see the wings thread theorizing that the complaints about the candidate must have been submitted by an SNP person, and it was probably Alyn Smith's boyfriend, because they're ultra woke misogynistic trans rights thugs because reasons?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So I made the mistake of reading this Medium article I found linked in a Twitter thread and am I right in thinking there's a massive bait-and-switch going on at the point where they define "Zionist" as "someone who believes Israel has a right to exist"? I thought Zionist meant someone who supported a one-state solution, i.e. annexation/elimination of Palestine by Israel? Ugh, I have a headache

I found the historical stuff up to that point pretty interesting as I'm not well versed in Jewish history but would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable could vet its accuracy.

E: reading the Wikipedia article on Zionism and wow it's way more complicated than my 4am brain can handle. I can see why it's a massive can of worms to make blanket statements about Zionism/Zionists at any rate, due to conflicting possible interpretations

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Tesseraction posted:

MORE SKILLS
OF THE
SAME WALLETS

Skills for kills, Swindon, skills for kills