Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Keyser_Soze posted:

Model: RE781S3A11
Serial: D1142CPP4611
Ok based on the original part diagrams the valve assembly for that model is A227704280, and the photos of it I can find match your part, though the serial numbers don't match up (that's not uncommon). You can possibly buy it direct from Rocket here: https://shop.rocket-espresso.com/collections/parts/products/tap-without-a-rocket-stamp ...if they actually have any left in stock and ship to the US. If not I'd go down the list of official US Rocket retailers here: https://rocket-espresso.com/where-to-buy.html and ask if they have one in stock or are willing to order one for you (if Rocket actually has stock left). Sorry I don't have one to send you myself, it's been a few years since I saw one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Thanks for you help. That definitely looks like it so I'll try ordering it right from Rocket, not sure why I didn't find it
there instead of using espressotec. :newlol:

EDIT: poo poo I should just order 4 of these valves now while still available :italy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6mQoPsLYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_cX5DUoHM

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 24, 2019

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RichterIX posted:

My local roaster switched to bags with a Ziploc and the standard one-way valve. Is this better than, say, the rubber-seal lidded mason jar I usually use for beans? It's not a big deal, I just thought I'd ask since it's kind of easier to just store it in the bag.

Unless you’re storing it for a year, the O2 permeability difference between plastic and glass is not going to matter. The bigger problem is all the O2 that gets into there when you open it to make your coffee. Which unless you’re weighing out measured doses the moment you open it while under CO2 is not really going to make a difference. It’ll get stale at about the same rate because you keep opening whatever you store it in.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Anyone tried a melodrip? Seems pricey but potentially effective.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Do you have a disability? (Including being too non-functional shortly after waking up) then it could be great for you!

If not it's selling you a single tasker for $45 that doesn't do any better than just putting the tiny little bit of effort in to figure out how to pour water. It really isn't that finicky.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should turn it into a $10 thing that you attach to drip coffee makers to make them more like a proper pour-over.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://aeropress.com/aeropress-go/

There's a new more portable Aeropress that has an included cup that can fit everything inside. I never travel with coffee gear but I want one because I like coffee stuff.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

https://aeropress.com/aeropress-go/

There's a new more portable Aeropress that has an included cup that can fit everything inside. I never travel with coffee gear but I want one because I like coffee stuff.

I don't have one, but I did see the James Hoffman review of it. It's less than impressive

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I just saw his video. You kind of lose the magic of the Aeropress when you can't fit that Porlex grinder in it. It was the perfect travel kit.

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty
Bought some locally roasted beans, and someone told me it'd be all right to use the local grocery store's grinder for their whole beans. Is this gonna produce an all right cup, or do Really need to find a manual grinder? Electric is out of my budget (even refurb). Gonna be brewing with a French press or cold brew at first, maybe a Clever Coffee later.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The downside is that you can't tweak the grind as you go; you're stuck with a whole bag at one grind level and you gotta hope you can make that work with your equipment. Where are you buying whole beans that you can get them ground on-site? Regardless of what "someone" said, the grocery store might have a problem with you bringing beans in from outside and putting them in their grinder, for a variety of reasons.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

shrimpwhiskers posted:

Bought some locally roasted beans, and someone told me it'd be all right to use the local grocery store's grinder for their whole beans. Is this gonna produce an all right cup, or do Really need to find a manual grinder? Electric is out of my budget (even refurb). Gonna be brewing with a French press or cold brew at first, maybe a Clever Coffee later.
Two main problems with this:
1. This is a non-issue if their grinder is cleaned regularly, but chances are its burrs are coated in stale oils and grounds that are going to taint the flavour of your coffee.
2. Ground coffee rapidly becomes stale after a short time, you really don't want to grind your coffee more than 15 min or so before brewing.

That being said you can drink your coffee however you like, and if it tastes fine to you, then it's fine; it's not gonna make you sick or anything. Especially for cold brew, it basically all tastes the same anyway. If you're looking for a hand grinder I'm not sure what the recommended economy option is now, I usually suggest the Hario Skerton still.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mine is still going strong since someone recommended it in this very thread.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Handheld burr grinders are awesome and you can get one for roughly the cost of 2 bags of locally roasted beans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Hario Skerton is really unpleasant to use in my experience. I rather save up more and get the entry Baratza and just suffer through pre ground. You'll eventually move up to an electric burr of some sort and then the manual grinder will never be used again unless you take it camping.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

As with all coffee equipment, hand grinders are not the right solution for everyone. Personally they fail my cost/benefit analysis where my time is factored into the cost side (using and cleaning). The one week that I was stuck with one at home, my electric drill was hooked up to it by the second morning. A refurbished Encore is only $60 more than a Skerton.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The really good hand grinders cost more than the entry-level electric grinders, but they are wayyy more pleasant to use than, say, a Skerton a put out a much better product. I got to try a Lido 3 and I loved it, but I still ultimately went with a Capresso Infinity just because it was significantly cheaper.

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty

bizwank posted:

The downside is that you can't tweak the grind as you go; you're stuck with a whole bag at one grind level and you gotta hope you can make that work with your equipment. Where are you buying whole beans that you can get them ground on-site? Regardless of what "someone" said, the grocery store might have a problem with you bringing beans in from outside and putting them in their grinder, for a variety of reasons.

Hmmm, yeah that may not be best since I may switch up being method. I work at a grocery store and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't care. The person also recommended a local Sprout's to me.

Tippecanoe posted:

Two main problems with this:
1. This is a non-issue if their grinder is cleaned regularly, but chances are its burrs are coated in stale oils and grounds that are going to taint the flavour of your coffee.
2. Ground coffee rapidly becomes stale after a short time, you really don't want to grind your coffee more than 15 min or so before brewing.

That being said you can drink your coffee however you like, and if it tastes fine to you, then it's fine; it's not gonna make you sick or anything. Especially for cold brew, it basically all tastes the same anyway. If you're looking for a hand grinder I'm not sure what the recommended economy option is now, I usually suggest the Hario Skerton still.

Thats the main problem I think - I've never even seen anyone use our coffee grinder, let alone clean it on a regular basis.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

shrimpwhiskers posted:

Hmmm, yeah that may not be best since I may switch up being method. I work at a grocery store and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't care. The person also recommended a local Sprout's to me.

Thats the main problem I think - I've never even seen anyone use our coffee grinder, let alone clean it on a regular basis.

Sooo you're staying no one would notice if it was missing? :black101:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I worked at a Peet's Coffee for 3 months before. Nobody cleaned the coffee grinder. We also ground all the coffee a day in advance to save time during service.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I just saw his video. You kind of lose the magic of the Aeropress when you can't fit that Porlex grinder in it. It was the perfect travel kit.

Yeah, I have an Aergrind exactly for that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If there's any good deals this weekend for a good electric grinder, y'all will post it here right?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

silvergoose posted:

If there's any good deals this weekend for a good electric grinder, y'all will post it here right?

https://www.baratza.com/product-category/refurb/

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hi thread

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and the hankering for a new espresso setup, and I'm looking for recommendations for upgrade paths.

Current rig is a Mazzer Mini Electronic B, circa 2012 and an Izzo MyWay Vivi PID III espresso machine (HX).

Hard requirements are steam arm on the left, single group, and ideally not more than 10cm wider than the Vivi.

I have a dedicated 13A 230V circuit for the thing. I'm in Europe. Plumbed water/drain is regrettably not an option.

Budget is very flexible, as long as it's value for money.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Hario Skerton is really unpleasant to use in my experience.

Agreed. It binds up at the most annoying of times, sending beans flying. And by the end of just a normal aeropress-sized grind my hand was cramping up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bolind posted:

I have a dedicated 13A 230V circuit for the thing. I'm in Europe. Plumbed water/drain is regrettably not an option.

Budget is very flexible, as long as it's value for money.

This is a bad answer.

Plumbed in water is an option if you want to spend money on a flow jet.

If your budget is flexible go get a used Monolith grinder. It’s the best grinder amongst espresso nerds online and built like a tank. Resells for what you pay. Great value.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bolind posted:

Agreed. It binds up at the most annoying of times, sending beans flying. And by the end of just a normal aeropress-sized grind my hand was cramping up.

Wait how do beans go anywhere with the lid on

I'm not begrudging people their opinions (which I do not share, I love my skerton pro) but this just seems odd.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought it when it didn't come with a lid. The pro looks like it has a bunch of improvements but my normal one is trash.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Huh.

Yeah I think the recommendation from this thread is the pro, and that's what I have and like.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
:coffee:

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I asked this on Reddit, but didn't really find an answer.

Is there a wiki or good place to quickly find how to roast beans by region? I know some of it is subjective, but sometimes I can't seem to find to find much on specific green beans that I bought online.

I know a lot of it is personal opinion. Though, you only learn that by trial and error - which is great and all, but I figure if you had data like 75% of people preferred this particular bean roasted dark or whatever, at least you would have an idea that is how the majority of people used that bean. Kind of like film scores on imdb or how I can read a steam game sale page and find that people didn't like feature x in their game.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

the_lion posted:

I asked this on Reddit, but didn't really find an answer.

Is there a wiki or good place to quickly find how to roast beans by region? I know some of it is subjective, but sometimes I can't seem to find to find much on specific green beans that I bought online.

I know a lot of it is personal opinion. Though, you only learn that by trial and error - which is great and all, but I figure if you had data like 75% of people preferred this particular bean roasted dark or whatever, at least you would have an idea that is how the majority of people used that bean. Kind of like film scores on imdb or how I can read a steam game sale page and find that people didn't like feature x in their game.

No such thing. IME aim for a medium or light roast and just drink whatever you end up with,

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This is sort of related, but: My crappy, $15 Target blade grinder (I know) broke over the weekend. I need a replacement, but I'd also like to upgrade to something better - but that puts me in a weird position. I think the Baratza Maestro looks good, and ~$75 sounds fine, but they're not available refurb right now, and I need a grinder.

Is there another step up (from that blade grinder) that isn't (checks baratza refurb) $175? Should I just buy another cheapo blade grinder until I can get a Maestro?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’d just stick to what you have that works and spend as little as possible unless you can find a used Lido or some other manual grinder. I don’t have a ton of experience though and I don’t think there’s a right answer?

You doing brewed coffee mostly? Are you happy with what you’re doing currently or why upgrade?

Also check craigslist in your area if someone is selling one. The Baratzas are pretty bulletproof and easy to fix if they do have a problem imo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, just brewed coffee in a crappy (Bodum; meaning to upgrade at some point but haven't gotten around to) machine. It has been working fine, but I definitely like coffee enough that i'd be willing to spend more if it will improve the quality.

I'll check CL and otherwise find a cyber monday deal - thanks!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, just brewed coffee in a crappy (Bodum; meaning to upgrade at some point but haven't gotten around to) machine. It has been working fine, but I definitely like coffee enough that i'd be willing to spend more if it will improve the quality.

I'll check CL and otherwise find a cyber monday deal - thanks!

Baratza Encores are a solid bang for the buck, refurb or otherwise. Have you checked *Bay?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a cuisinart burr grinder that does an ok job that stays loaded with decaf just in case it's needed.
They are pretty cheap new I picked this one up at a thrift store it looked like it had gotten too close to a stove at one point the grinds hopper was slightly warped.
The Baratza I use for every day stuff I got off of CL for free.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Krakkles posted:

This is sort of related, but: My crappy, $15 Target blade grinder (I know) broke over the weekend. I need a replacement, but I'd also like to upgrade to something better - but that puts me in a weird position. I think the Baratza Maestro looks good, and ~$75 sounds fine, but they're not available refurb right now, and I need a grinder.

Is there another step up (from that blade grinder) that isn't (checks baratza refurb) $175? Should I just buy another cheapo blade grinder until I can get a Maestro?

The encore is a pretty decent one especially if you can get it refurbished. I'm not sure about now but Baratza used to sell upgrade kits for when you want a better burr. If you ever wanted to do that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The Capresso Infinity can be had for $80 at Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I roasted my own coffee again for the first time in like 10 years using a stainless steel stovetop popcorn popper and portable induction cooktop outside (so everything doesn't smell like roasting coffee for a week). After completely burning the first attempt, I got pretty decent results (not 100% even but not bad) on the second attempt despite the air temperature being around freezing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

While we are recommending grinders: For home espresso is the Liddo-E my best option without going up an order magnitude in price?