Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

The idea that a work of fiction is harmed by the protagonist being cool or awesome is weird, although they definitely need dramatic flaws and such.

Of course the real solution, as GRRM has learned, is not to write.

What GRRM realized is that you just need to kill off all those cool or awesome people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He’s a genius, kill off all the good characters so nobody cares if you finish the dumb books.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Invalid Validation posted:

He’s a genius, kill off all the good characters so nobody cares if you finish the dumb books.

Wyman Manderly is still alive. Somehow.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wyman Manderly is still alive. Somehow.

The Bloated One already killed off the Yellow Whale, he has to leave at least one self-insert in the story.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mad Hamish posted:

The Bloated One already killed off the Yellow Whale, he has to leave at least one self-insert in the story.

Aside from Tyrion, you have the fabled Cock Merchant.

I would like to take this moment to point out again and unironically than Tyrion is clearly a Targ: Tufts of silver white hair, One black eye ( deep purple ). He's obsessed with dragons, and the dragons don't gently caress his poo poo up when the see him. Aerys was clearly into Johanna, joked about loving her, "took liberties" during her bedding ceremony, etc.

I think Tyrions name is really clever ( maybe unintentionally so, but I think GRRM is good at this type of thing ) The most common use of Tyrian has to do with Tyrian Purple ( Royal Purple ). And the CIty of Tyre originally meant "Rock". So again you have this Lannister/Targaryan split.

I like the idea that he is a Chimera in the genetic sense : with both Tywins and Aegons genes. Also worth noting that the mythical Chimera was a mix of animals, including Lion and Dragon.

With Tyrion, Dany and John in the endgame you'd have 3 Targars, each unique and following different paths.

Seeing as Tyrion is the True self insert, it just all feels so right.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

is this series dead yet

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Deader than D&Ds careers

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kcroy posted:

I would like to take this moment to point out again and unironically than Tyrion is clearly a Targ: Tufts of silver white hair, One black eye ( deep purple ). He's obsessed with dragons, and the dragons don't gently caress his poo poo up when the see him. Aerys was clearly into Johanna, joked about loving her, "took liberties" during her bedding ceremony, etc.

I think Tyrions name is really clever ( maybe unintentionally so, but I think GRRM is good at this type of thing ) The most common use of Tyrian has to do with Tyrian Purple ( Royal Purple ). And the CIty of Tyre originally meant "Rock". So again you have this Lannister/Targaryan split.

I like the idea that he is a Chimera in the genetic sense : with both Tywins and Aegons genes. Also worth noting that the mythical Chimera was a mix of animals, including Lion and Dragon.

With Tyrion, Dany and John in the endgame you'd have 3 Targars, each unique and following different paths.

yeh but johanna moved back to and barely ever left casterly rock after that wedding. if any of the lannisters are aerys' it's cersei and jaime, as the eldest.

then the real kick in the rear end is tyrion being tywin's only legit heir

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 15, 2019

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

esperterra posted:

yeh but johanna barely moved back to and barely ever left casterly rock after that wedding. if any of the lannisters are aerys' it's cersei and jaime, as the eldest.

then the real kick in the rear end is tyrion being tywin's only legit heir

The constant saying that a kinslayer is cursed in the eyes of gods and men, and then one of main characters kills his father (although already dying due to poison). There has to be more to that, and the Tywin-Tyrion relationship.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

OperaMouse posted:

The constant saying that a kinslayer is cursed in the eyes of gods and men, and then one of main characters kills his father (although already dying due to poison). There has to be more to that, and the Tywin-Tyrion relationship.

Why? Just because a bunch of characters say a thing doesn't mean it actually exists in the story reality. A lot of posters in this thread are really good at misidentifying throw away lines as foreshadowing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kcroy posted:

While I think it's very possible Tyrion is part-Targ, saying it's definitely so is a bit of a stretch. It could also be a red herring, or just a bit of foreshadowing that just shows he becomes an adviser to Dany.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's multiple potential dramatic ironies at play:

Jaime and Cersei both desperately want to be Targs, but they are "only" Lannisters; meanwhile Tyrion just wants to be accepted as a Lannister so it would be fitting that he would actually be the Targ.

But then as has been pointed out repeatedly, it would also be ironic if Tyrion was the only Lannister child that was actually Tywin's son (plus with the added bonus of all of Cersei's "illegitimate" children having actual Targ blood on the throne)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Deader than D&Ds careers

They totally are going to get dropped from that Netflix contract the moment Netflix has "money problems" watch. That interview they gave is too damning.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Netflix won't drop them unless they say something racist or something. They're in too deep now and all their major shows are ending in the next year or so.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

chaosapiant posted:

While I think it's very possible Tyrion is part-Targ, saying it's definitely so is a bit of a stretch. It could also be a red herring, or just a bit of foreshadowing that just shows he becomes an adviser to Dany.

Yeah, I know. And especially with books where the author is himself the unreliable narrator.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Is the next book out yet? I want to know who becomes the new lord commander of the nights watch now that John is dead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm reading world of ice and fire because I got it for like 5 bucks at a used book store. This poo poo reads like a fan wikia. Is this poo poo actually from grrms notes or is it mostly made up by the mini fuckers and then given the fucker absolute's lazy sign off after? There's just so much useless info that there'd be no reason to write just as background to the series.

Also love that the maester who is writing it in universe is only a little suspicious of details like the Starks supposedly having been around for 10000 years. Some scholarly order.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

was anyone even pulling for jon/dany to work out

in the shipping fandom that is not even a popular pairing

i dont know how casual audiences felt about it though

other than "wait, they're related??"

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

in the shipping fandom that is not even a popular pairing

lol

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

A Typical Goon posted:

Why? Just because a bunch of characters say a thing doesn't mean it actually exists in the story reality. A lot of posters in this thread are really good at misidentifying throw away lines as foreshadowing

A lotta bad things happen to Tyrion after the kinslaying, kinda how bad things happen to the Freys after the bout of guestright breaking or the other kings after leech mania

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Calaveron posted:

A lotta bad things happen to Tyrion after the kinslaying, kinda how bad things happen to the Freys after the bout of guestright breaking or the other kings after leech mania

a lotta bad things happen to tyrion before the kinslaying, and to everyone else also

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, people who kinslay seem to have the worst of luck in the books. In the show, not so much.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

esperterra posted:

Yeah, people who kinslay seem to have the worst of luck in the books. In the show, not so much.

I think the moment I truly gave up on the show was Ramsay killing his father without any consequences whatsoever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

esperterra posted:

Plus Theon kills the miller's kids, implied to be his own in the books, and we all know that the rest of his life is sunshine and rainbows

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vichan posted:

I think the moment I truly gave up on the show was Ramsay killing his father without any consequences whatsoever.

Well, a dog ate his face.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Honestly, the best approach would be that all the taboos are just societal expectations and there's no divine retribution against anything at all. Making the gods actually curse the kinslayer is lazy writing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kylaer posted:

Honestly, lazy writing.

:hmmyes:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Plus Theon kills the miller's kids, implied to be his own in the books, and we all know that the rest of his life is sunshine and rainbows

In the show everyone just sort of forget that he killed two kids.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Alhazred posted:

In the show everyone just sort of forget that he killed two kids.

In the show, everyone just sort of forgot:
Theon was a child slayer
Distance from King's Landing to the North
Dorne
Dany's Arc
Varys Arc
The Iron Fleet
What bells mean
The value of human life
That the Dothraki were around
That the Dothraki were dead
That the Dothraki were somehow still alive
That there's somehow a big enough square in the center of a town that was destroyed by dragonfire that acted like tomahawk missiles to somehow do a Nazi rally type assembly
The point of the unsullied
How defensive fighting from a castle works
That weird symbol the white walkers used
The point of Bran

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

banned from Starbucks posted:

Well, a dog ate his face.

Well, yeah. But that didn't come about as a consequence of him killing his father.

The only satisfying end would be him getting betrayed by his bannermen after they've had enough of his antics, preferably the breaking point would be when he keeps shooting arrows at his own men and the enemy's indiscriminately.

You know, because the North loving remembers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait they imply those kids are theon's??? Where? Totally missed that poo poo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

For me the Ramsay stuff was where the show most obviously went off the rails once they ran out of book material, completely negating a bunch of prior characterization/storytelling and moving into very obvious "point A to point B" non-writing that came to characterize the post-book seasons.

In the books the situation at Winterfell is a clusterfuck of shifting allegiances and backstabbing exacerbated by Ramsay being a lunatic. While the big ticket plot points that happen seem likely to play out if you're just reading from a list (Ramsay kills his father and half brother, Ramsay defeats Stannis, Ramsay lucks into obtaining Rickon), the way they play out is almost certain to be significantly different, especially in terms of how luck and opportunism play a part in those things actually coming to pass.

In the show, Ramsay is just a wunderkind who accomplished everything because he has an impossibly large and loyal army and his best pal Twenty Goodman at his side, and only loses when the plot clock strikes midnight. In the book he will probably only defeat Stannis when someone backstabs Stannis at the last moment, he will probably only keep the loyalty of his men after he kills his father when he luckily gets Rickon as a hostage (or something else, at the very least that poo poo will be addressed), and will lose to Jon when he is goaded into meeting in an open field instead of staying safely behind Winterfell's walls.

You obviously see this same kind of "grocery list" plotting all over last season where Dany's army is worn down and diminished until she turns evil and suddenly there's a sea of invincible Dothraki standing there, her dragons are helpless against ballistas until they're not, etc etc etc

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calaveron posted:

Plus Theon kills the miller's kids, implied to be his own in the books

wait wut now?

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Theon says he banged the miller's wife, but I don't remember if there was anything more than that to lead one to believe that the kids were his. Though just including that detail makes me lean towards the notion that they were.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Asking again, how much of the woiaf content actually comes from grrm vs the wiki minifuckers?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Theon says he banged the miller's wife, but I don't remember if there was anything more than that to lead one to believe that the kids were his. Though just including that detail makes me lean towards the notion that they were.
Pretty funny if true lol

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Theon thinks about how he was banging the woman around the same time the kids were born. That’s the extent of the connection.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's all i need. It'd be pretty hilarious if theon murdered his own kids cuz he had stockholm syndrome

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
There's a bit shortly after Theon gets Reek'd where he's lamenting killing the miller's kids and how the miller was so old and what a good time he had boning the miller's wife which to me was an obvious signal that they were his and he didn't know it
This was a little bit after the concept of kinslaying was introduced if I recall correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Ague Proof posted:

he's writing for the Wheel of Time show

apologies to Wheel of Time fans

Imagine feeling bad for WoT fans, one of the few groups that even denizens of The Bad Thread can rightfully look down on.