Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sagebrush posted:

I am morbidly curious about how many times, as an instructor, you have had someone throw up in the plane. What's the worst story?

I used to teach acro and do rides, so lots. But nothing too exciting, most made it all into the bag, a few got some outta the bag, I cleaned it up, that's it.

But one other guy in the company was doing a ride for a family member, and the poor guy got brain locked and never asked to stop or tried to reach for the bag, and just out of nowhere suddenly projectile vomited (I used to think that was just an exaggerative expression, but no, sometimes it happens just like that, like in a slapstick comedy) straight ahead onto the canopy of the Extra 300, in beautiful 1080p or whatever resolution that generation of Gopros shot in.

Overall actually we had very few people puke, since first we don't like cleaning puke, second we actually wanted people to walk away with a good experience. So we'd be constantly checking up on people, switching to toned down maneuvers, or stopped acro for a while or even the rest of the ride. Even though we'd joke in front of their whole group of bros (that came because it's part of his bachelor party or what have you) that we'd make them puke on purpose. (And if we wanted to, we could easily get 75%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Maybe I’m greedy, but I want to feel like I’m not just wasting my time. I want to instruct long-term so I don’t give a gently caress about hours much, and I had another career that paid far better, so gently caress knows I’m not in it for the money.

I love watching and contributing to the moment where everything clicks, and I love flying with someone who kills it every flight too, I just can’t stand the folks who clearly love the idea of being a pilot more than actually being a pilot. Like, I shouldn’t have to be on you to do more solo practice, you should want to do that yourself because it’s loving awesome.

I had student, one of my guys that I built up from pre-solo, and now he wants to do a CPL just because, and he rents regularly just to go flying. That’s the student I want. Flying is the greatest and I’d not put up with any of this nonsense if I didn’t love flying for its own sake.

Get those hours and money and save the instructing good students as a hobby for when you’re flying big jets.

Source: me the guy that instructs as a hobby, it’s the fuckin’ best

I can’t tell you how enjoyable instructing is when you can be extremely picky about your students because your livelihood doesn’t depend on it

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I’m a check airman at my current job and this year my goal was: only advanced (commercial/instrument) students and stage checks.

It’s good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a patagonian cavy posted:

I’m a check airman at my current job and this year my goal was: only advanced (commercial/instrument) students and stage checks.

It’s good.

Instrument students are also some of my favorites.

Honestly anything other than primary training and initial CFI are typically a pretty great time.

The students that are actively wanting to enhance and grow their aviation skill set versus the “oh wow flying planes sounds neat” students.

Initial CFI is just a pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The worst part about air sick students is when they forget to mute ICS :cry:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bob A Feet posted:

christ, that's some horror movie poo poo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I'm over 3 weeks :cry: got cancelled on yesterday. Doing a dual XC tomorrow night though. I'm good on night hours, but it fits my schedule and my instructor is down so gently caress it.

Weather struck again. One day I'll fly again, probably in like May.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Any SF Bay Area folk here? Just finished my PPL and itching to get my IR. Couple questions:

- What's a good IR trainer? Been flying 172s and maybe considering switching to DA40s for the fun factor.

- Any suggestions on great CFIIs at KSQL or KPAO? Been doing my training at KHWD but my commute is kinda painful.

- Anyone looking for a safety pilot or in the same boat to get their IR?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
tfw your airliner pilot is using the same cheap Sporty’s bag that you do

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

You haven’t met many airline pilots have you?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Seems like there's a bunch of Cal PPL goons in here now. Is it time for a goon meet fly-in?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

unpurposed posted:

Any SF Bay Area folk here? Just finished my PPL and itching to get my IR. Couple questions:

- What's a good IR trainer? Been flying 172s and maybe considering switching to DA40s for the fun factor.

- Any suggestions on great CFIIs at KSQL or KPAO? Been doing my training at KHWD but my commute is kinda painful.

- Anyone looking for a safety pilot or in the same boat to get their IR?

I'm training at KSQL and sent you a PM.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Seems like there's a bunch of Cal PPL goons in here now. Is it time for a goon meet fly-in?

I'm looking at doing my check ride in february-ish so wait until after then but I'm interested!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 3, 2019

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bob A Feet posted:

I lost it twice during Private (big whiff of exhaust during slow flight on an already long day, one time too many through Unusual Attitudes on a hot day). Each time, I pulled the mic as far away from my face when I knew it was a matter of time.

unpurposed posted:

Diamond protips:
-DA-40s are a good time until you're flying when it's 85 degrees outside and chug an entire bottle of water upon landing because the cabin's boiling. Pack a hat and a drink if you go on a warm day.
-The seat does not move in that airplane, the seatback is angled, and the pedals only move so far. If you're under about 5'8" or so, you might need a Confidence CushionTM.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I’m 6’2” and DA40s rule until they break which is all the goddamn time

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

I lost it twice during Private (big whiff of exhaust during slow flight on an already long day, one time too many through Unusual Attitudes on a hot day). Each time, I pulled the mic as far away from my face when I knew it was a matter of time.

Diamond protips:
-DA-40s are a good time until you're flying when it's 85 degrees outside and chug an entire bottle of water upon landing because the cabin's boiling. Pack a hat and a drink if you go on a warm day.
-The seat does not move in that airplane, the seatback is angled, and the pedals only move so far. If you're under about 5'8" or so, you might need a Confidence CushionTM.

Good tips! I've flown a DA40 once with an instructor and can definitely relate to the heat. Not pleasant. But there's something about it that makes me feel like I'm flying a ship from Star Wars so :shrug: haha

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I taught in 20/40s for awhile and they were really fun to fly. Getting the katana to start in winter? Not so much.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
How to piss off your entire pilot group and freak out the traveling public, all with one email.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...0as5lk#comments

Even before this stunt, John Hornibrook had zero credibility with the pilots at Horizon (he was came over from Alaska, kept his seniority there, and has never flown a single leg at Horizon), so throwing the entire pilot group under the bus with a melodramatic email hasn't exactly made him more popular.

Most of the "safety concerns" are complete BS (the stick shakers and overspeeds shouldn't happen, but aren't the end of the world, and there's no possible way the crew could have caught the W&B error with the system Horizon uses), and the fact that no one thought they were serious enough to actually inform the pilots about doesn't really help the "Horizon pilots are a bunch of hooligans" argument either.

Since that story quickly got picked up by the AP and made national news, the logical response is to issue a statement saying "Our pilots are safe, the email was misconstrued, etc...", but instead, Horizon sent a mass employee email doubling down on the leaked email, and somehow blaming the leak of said email on the pilots, none of whom ever saw the stupid thing.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah I saw that, I thought Hornibrook retired, had no idea he was involved over at Horizon. A couple of stick shakers and flap overspeeds while not great aren’t that rare for a regional, although I’d be curious which fleet. Devil is in the details as well. The 175 has a particular scenario where it’s easy to get what’s mostly a nuisance shaker rather than a true low speed event.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah I saw that, I thought Hornibrook retired, had no idea he was involved over at Horizon. A couple of stick shakers and flap overspeeds while not great aren’t that rare for a regional, although I’d be curious which fleet. Devil is in the details as well. The 175 has a particular scenario where it’s easy to get what’s mostly a nuisance shaker rather than a true low speed event.

Alaska didn't want him, so he went to the unloved stepchild. Our chief pilot is in the exact same boat (never flown here, still has Alaska seniority), and 2/3 of our base chief pilots are FO's who have been here under 18 months, so there's a complete lack of actual leadership on the pilot side right now.

My understanding is that the overspeeds were on the Q400, since it's got this stupid quirk where Vmo suddenly drops 10kts descending through 8,500ft (someone from the FAA's certification division has said they don't know how the hell that ever got certified), and there have also been some flap overspeeds on both fleets, but they're usually under 10kts.

I'm not sure where the stick shakers are happening, but my guess is that it's also the Q (and they're likely very short lived), since it'll bleed off speed very quickly in level flight if you're not paying attention, and some of the new procedures intended to reduce flap overspeeds result in very little margin above the stick shaker if there's icing and/or turbulence present.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I'm reading the article correctly, the overspeeds he's talking about are actually cases where the flight crew exceeded different, lower air speed limits defined by Horizon policy, not the manufacturer ratings. So a situation like Vfe on the placard is 180kt, but Horizon says you have to be at 170kt to extend the flaps, and some flight crew put the flaps out at 174kt, so they violated corporate policy but are in no way flying unsafely or risking damage to the aircraft.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
If you ain't clackin' you're slackin'

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

If I'm reading the article correctly, the overspeeds he's talking about are actually cases where the flight crew exceeded different, lower air speed limits defined by Horizon policy, not the manufacturer ratings. So a situation like Vfe on the placard is 180kt, but Horizon says you have to be at 170kt to extend the flaps, and some flight crew put the flaps out at 174kt, so they violated corporate policy but are in no way flying unsafely or risking damage to the aircraft.

Horizon does indeed have different Vfe speeds, but he was referring to the manufacturer speeds, and a totally unrelated communication from the company indicated that maintenance found no defects, and they only have to inspect the airplane if the Bombardier limits are exceeded.

The situation isn't helped by the fact that Horizon emails all the pilots (they finally stopped sending mandatory memos) every time someone exceeds a limitation, so after several emails where Vfe was exceeded by one or two knots, "alarm fatigue" sets in, and people are going to stop taking those communications quite as seriously.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So I missed my school’s graduation ceremony with an rear end-kicking flu, but I have found out that my one (1) successful flight test recommend for the year was selected as the most proficient PPL candidate of the year, so I feel a bit better about my lack of concrete progress toward my class 3 instructor rating.

I’m not horrible, a trophy says so! :unsmith:

And, yes, I am aware it’s mainly the student’s accomplishment, but I’d like to think I helped. I certainly wouldn’t be the pilot I am today without the instructors I’ve had along the way.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PT6A posted:

The longer I instruct the more I love and appreciate my good students and the more I just can’t even with my bad students.

One of them I think literally forgot how to use the rudder today. And he’s gone solo several times. What do I do with this poo poo?

I regularly fly with 10,000 hour ex military pilots (in a king air) who can't for the life of them figure out how to stay coordinated on final.

"Good crosswind on that one."

*Deuce looks at completely dead windsock* Yep.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I flew a plane that automatically did all turn coordination for me. It was fantastic.

I’m paying for that now as I fly a single engine turboprop trainer everyday.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I spent a couple thousand hours instructing, so saying "right rudder, right rudder" was pretty much automatic for me.

When I upgraded to captain on a 9,000hp turboprop with a two axis autopilot, engines that turn the same direction, and a useless yaw damper, I got to learn to say that from the left seat, and got to add "left rudder, left rudder" to my repertoire as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know we’ve got a NOAA P-3 driver on these dead gay forums, but I can’t remember their username. We’re you out drilling holes in the sky between Lakeland and Fort Myers earlier?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Survived high mins! 106 TPIC now :toot:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Had my first official day of instructing for ATP at my KSAC home base. :woop: Had an intro flight and a student pilot for closed pattern. It was neat and kinda hilarious at the same time lol

I already hate scheduling.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I know we talked about a Goon itt having flown with the captain on the Gemini DC-10 JustPlanes ridealong DVD. I got the Air Atlanta MASKargo video for like $10 on Black Friday and both of the captains so far seem like solid dudes, which is always something I appreciate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69F4xnNjLik

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Cool thread. Aircraft dispatcher here. I apologize in advance for sending please call crew scheduling when you get on the ground acars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Burden posted:

Cool thread. Aircraft dispatcher here. I apologize in advance for sending please call crew scheduling when you get on the ground acars.

Stop putting “TCAS” in the remarks field. I know. I don’t care.

Thanks in advance.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
ATC/Airliner question. We had some of our local TRACON controllers out to my squadron to talk about our local area operations (military training stuff in FL). We were talking about some pilot deviations that were issued automatically to some of our guys in VFR: the controllers said that sometimes deviations are issued at a later date based on a tape review if there was a loss of separation or specifically if an passenger carrying airline was issued a TCAS RA. I meant to ask them about that.... is that a thing? How is that reported?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

ATC/Airliner question. We had some of our local TRACON controllers out to my squadron to talk about our local area operations (military training stuff in FL). We were talking about some pilot deviations that were issued automatically to some of our guys in VFR: the controllers said that sometimes deviations are issued at a later date based on a tape review if there was a loss of separation or specifically if an passenger carrying airline was issued a TCAS RA. I meant to ask them about that.... is that a thing? How is that reported?

I'm a center controller, not a TRACON controller, but here's my take:

RAs are automated, and if the aircraft is equipped with TCAS, the crew is required to comply with RAs before any other control instruction. Controllers are trained to not issue control instructions during an RA. The airliner flight crew will tell us that they're responding to the RA (and generally in what direction) and we're supposed to report the RA to the sup/CIC, who reports it up the chain for investigation. I've never heard of deviations being issued to pilots that didn't 100% deserve it, though. (Intentionally or unintentionally completely ignoring control instructions, basically.)

Most of the time, the front desk reviews it, makes sure we called the traffic and were providing separation of some sort, and then squishes it. This is 100% dependent on the management drone that is sitting at the desk, though. Some are really cool, and will only issue a deviation if there was an actual safety issue. Some are bureaucratic fuckheads that will issue a deviation for literally any reason, even if it is clear that the deviation was accidental or 100% not the pilots fault. (I've heard of deviations issued for altitude because the airplane was getting their teeth kicked in by turbulence and took a 300ft bounce. That manger is a loving rear end in a top hat.) It's a judgement call.

A32x TCAS systems are particularly sensitive, and I actually tend to use a full 1000ft separation with them to minimize the chance of an RA. Sometimes you'll have a 172 VFR at 5000ft, descend an A320 to 6000ft, and they'll get an RA because the Cessna's mode C momentarily read 5100ft, and thus increased the vertical closure rate above the threshold for an RA. Most other airplanes are fine with a target at 5500ft, and I'll do that regularly for other types, as long as I'm talking to the VFR.

Can you talk about what happened, specifically?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
From what I know, the aircraft was assigned 6500 by a local stereo/ VFR FF clearance. Our local routing takes us near a Victor airway on the way to a MOA. Due to clouds, the aircraft was weaving to stay out of clouds. Eventually, it climbed up to ~7000’ to avoid a cloud. It immediately got called out by the TRACON controller and was given a number. He called and talked to the supervisor who understood and didn’t take the issue further. However, 6 months later, our command received notification about a deviation.

During the visit, one of the TRACON supervisors mentioned it could’ve been due to airway traffic at 8000’. He wasn’t sure and didn’t remember the specific incident, but mentioned that they took note of when airlines obey TCAS RAs. He also mentioned that the controller probably gave him a “maintain VFR at or below 6500’” altitude clearance.

It left a sour taste for a lot of us. This guy thought he talked it out with the controller only to find out later on that he was issued a deviation. We have a good relationship with the local TRACON facility (Pensacola) so it caught him off guard. I may not have retold the details exactly but that’s the jist of it. I know many others that have gotten a sneaky deviation like that, months later, without being given any notice.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Controllers/Management at the facility level, unfortunately, can not ensure that any specific incident won't be later pursued by audits from higher up. Analysts at the regional level and higher get automatically notified by the radar software when there's a loss of separation, and if you were given a number it was probably entered into a reporting system for simple tracking purposes, which was later reviewed by someone else higher up even though there was no loss. It could have been caught on a random audit also.

This is why the phone number must be accompanied by the "possible pilot deviation" disclaimer (the Brasher warning), even if they just want to talk. If that language wasn't used, the facility should correct that practice, since it clearly places the pilot at a disadvantage when deciding whether to submit a statement or voluntarily report.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There was a fatal crash on Vancouver Island last night, apparently the pilot was a former examiner out here that did flight tests for a handful of my coworkers so it’s hitting everyone pretty hard :(

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

The Ferret King posted:

Controllers/Management at the facility level, unfortunately, can not ensure that any specific incident won't be later pursued by audits from higher up. Analysts at the regional level and higher get automatically notified by the radar software when there's a loss of separation, and if you were given a number it was probably entered into a reporting system for simple tracking purposes, which was later reviewed by someone else higher up even though there was no loss. It could have been caught on a random audit also.

This should be of note to lazy airline plots who don't want to file an ASAP because "they didn't care" or "it's not a big deal" or whatever.

I used to try to do the polite thing and coordinate with the other guy to make sure we both filed so nothing can come back to surprise one of us naked, but after enough times pulling teeth, I started to just tell him that I'm filing and let him live his own life thereafter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

This should be of note to lazy airline plots who don't want to file an ASAP because "they didn't care" or "it's not a big deal" or whatever.

I used to try to do the polite thing and coordinate with the other guy to make sure we both filed so nothing can come back to surprise one of us naked, but after enough times pulling teeth, I started to just tell him that I'm filing and let him live his own life thereafter.

I ATSAP every goddamned thing, and TangoFox still has like three times as many as I do. He’s a machine.

When I first started training, my legal address was still at my parents house, and baby’s first ATSAP got duly accepted, and NASA sent their letter, and my mom happened to open the mailbox, and I got THE MOST PANICKED PHONE CALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Haha. I probably only averaged one ASAP a month at Compass, and that was even doing OE. And a lot of those were just "this is hazardous" or "ATC says Compass is always messing this up, so there's clearly a problem" type deals or a "throw a gate agent/ramp crew under the bus" ASAP. More than most pilots did, but kind of a given when you're on the ASAP ERC.

Anyway, I got LAX 737 FO, so it's time to get some compression socks for sitting in that cramped thing for 8 hours a day.