Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Smoke that weed! When I was younger my parents were outta town for a week and my buddy stole a pound of ditch weed from someone he knew. We just invited the neighborhood over to smoke crazy amounts of weed the whole week. Rolling quarter oz blunts and poo poo. Dude never said poo poo, smoke that weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

klapman posted:

it's not like I'm gonna smoke an ounce and a half in 2 days

I know weed is kind of a motivation killer but I believe in you

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’ve been doing dispensary edibles on the reg so now my tolerance is super high, meaning I’m not :qq:

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Claes Oldenburger posted:

A weedthread in gbs :O

i know, right?!?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

skooma512 posted:

I’ve been doing dispensary edibles on the reg so now my tolerance is super high, meaning I’m not :qq:

Dude. Cheaper to make your own. Ardent Nova Decarboxylator. Drop a $15g of shatter in it (in a silicone cup) and it makes 500-700mg of decarbed, ready to mix product. Dump that poo poo in some butter on low on the range and let in bind to the fat for like, 30-60min.

Way cheaper than buying a 500mg candy bar, that's for drat sure.

After buying the Decarboxylator, I mean.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
is there anything the Ardent Nova Decarboxylator can do that a toaster oven and some tin foil can't?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Control the temperature accurately.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Control the temperature accurately.

sous vide weed.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick rolled up a roach joint. Because he's been smoking nothing but top shelf, the roach joint is too resinous and sticky to burn or draw from. It's basically a hash joint.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Quit your bitching and stick a toothpick into it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mozi posted:

is there anything the Ardent Nova Decarboxylator can do that a toaster oven and some tin foil can't?

It hides a lot of the smell so that its only a single room that smells and not the entire apartment complex. You can put it in a cupboard drawer and it will hide the smell completely. The thing is way overpriced but it toasts your weed *perfectly* and you don't have to ground it up beforehand. You can also infuse oils and butter in the thing too.

Get it on a 4/20 sale. I got mine for $150 Canadian and I still feel it was slightly overpriced, but it does exactly as it is advertised.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Entorwellian posted:

It hides a lot of the smell so that its only a single room that smells and not the entire apartment complex. You can put it in a cupboard drawer and it will hide the smell completely. The thing is way overpriced but it toasts your weed *perfectly* and you don't have to ground it up beforehand. You can also infuse oils and butter in the thing too.

Get it on a 4/20 sale. I got mine for $150 Canadian and I still feel it was slightly overpriced, but it does exactly as it is advertised.

decarb in the oven in a mason jar

e: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/decarboxylation-101-mason-jar

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
With 10-25°F sway in temperature, yeah. The Decarboxylators' big thing is that it's a tiny precision oven.

It's just something to make the process easier. Like a Magic Butter Machine. You can reach the same end goal a bunch of ways, that decarb machine is just one way.

eddiewalker posted:

sous vide weed.

Does that even get hot enough to fully decarb weed? I've always understood decarbing as needing higher temperatures than boiling water.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

sous vide weed.

Sous weed

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

With 10-25°F sway in temperature, yeah. The Decarboxylators' big thing is that it's a tiny precision oven.

It's just something to make the process easier. Like a Magic Butter Machine. You can reach the same end goal a bunch of ways, that decarb machine is just one way.

Does that even get hot enough to fully decarb weed? I've always understood decarbing as needing higher temperatures than boiling water.

boiling will definitely decarb weed, it might just take a little longer

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If you "decarb" your weed, don't you loose the good weed flavor?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Quit your bitching and stick a toothpick into it.

Pretty much what Mr. Dick ended up doing.

Nothing in our collective experience has prepared us for legal weed. Imagine throwing away roaches, imagine weed that's unsmokable because it's too good, imagine someone offering you free weed and you saying "no". That's just the tip of the iceberg. It'll probably be worth it, but this poo poo is going to destroy society. It'll be like waking up to a world you don't understand surrounded by people speaking a foreign language, that you also don't understand, at night.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Honestly, I'm sitting on a horde of reclaimed resin from my dab rig. That's how I decarb, by smoking concentrates and collecting the poo poo I didn't inhale off the bong walls with alcohol.

Eventually I'll make edibles again, I'm just lazy lately. Well, not lazy so much as at the grow 6-7 days a week.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Dick posted:

if you want to keep the "good" weed flavor just cook it straight into oil

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait can I actually stick weed in a vacuum seal and sous vide it at 200 for an hour to decarb it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Walrus posted:

wait can I actually stick weed in a vacuum seal and sous vide it at 200 for an hour to decarb it

:catstare:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

here's an uncited chart

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Putting a closed mason jar in the oven is asking for trouble. Plus the one time I used the tinfoil/oven technique the smell was really bad and the upstairs people complained.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Entorwellian posted:

Putting a closed mason jar in the oven is asking for trouble. Plus the one time I used the tinfoil/oven technique the smell was really bad and the upstairs people complained.

at such a low temp and not touching any metal like that it's fine

e: i decarbed a pound of trim once on a sheet pan in the oven and it smelled a bit

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Probably get it done in like 5 minutes in a pressure canner

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://hightimes.com/edibles/cooking/instant-pot-your-instant-pot-no-mess-no-smell-method-making-quick-cannabutter/

i googled "decarb in instant pot" for a joke and got this hightimes recipe where step 1 is to decarb in a jar

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Walrus posted:

I've got one of those foodsaver things this is a great idea! I wonder is it possible to do it with the butter/oil already added into the bag?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

poverty goat posted:

at such a low temp and not touching any metal like that it's fine

e: i decarbed a pound of trim once on a sheet pan in the oven and it smelled a bit

The smell was a big problem when I did the oven with mine and I found the Nova did a better job regardless and I could just set it and forget it. I didn't want a repeat of it happening but if you live in a detached house then the jar technique is probably fine.
I don't regret the purchase at all and I've used it probably about 50 times or so with both concentrates and weed. Still I think it shouldn't be more than $120 at most.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I thought temperatures at boiling would cook off the thc, hence why they tell you to barely have the bubbles be moving when you're making cannaoil or cannabutter. How does decarbing it not remove most of the thc?

Educate me weed friends

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Science that poo poo up.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Zipperelli. posted:

I thought temperatures at boiling would cook off the thc, hence why they tell you to barely have the bubbles be moving when you're making cannaoil or cannabutter. How does decarbing it not remove most of the thc?

Educate me weed friends

THC doesn't reach boiling point until 311 F or so. Most of the THC is in THC-A form which, when heated between 140 and 250 F, knocks the little acid molecule out and turns into THC. There is a lot of debate about what the best temperature is and how long to bake/cook it for, though.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 3, 2019

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Sick with the flu and im staring at a vape loaded with Skywalker og, afraid of the consequences if it only adds to my nausea.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dude. Cheaper to make your own. Ardent Nova Decarboxylator.
After buying the Decarboxylator, I mean.
I just looked and that thing is two hundred damned dollars! That's gonna take a long time to break even, especially considering you can just as easily make edibles with flower and cheesecloth.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

The thing is vastly overpriced and I can't recommend the retail amount.I got it 50% off last years' 4/20 sale and still felt it was pretty expensive for a one-trick-pony. I'd only recommend it if you're an asthmatic, like me, and can't smoke or vape your bud on the reg.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Mr. Dick posted:

Pretty much what Mr. Dick ended up doing.

Nothing in our collective experience has prepared us for legal weed. Imagine throwing away roaches, imagine weed that's unsmokable because it's too good, imagine someone offering you free weed and you saying "no". That's just the tip of the iceberg. It'll probably be worth it, but this poo poo is going to destroy society. It'll be like waking up to a world you don't understand surrounded by people speaking a foreign language, that you also don't understand, at night.

It’s amazing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah like good for you if you're getting your money's worth with it but that seems like too much money for a very precise toaster oven

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

It'd be nice if some friendly goon with a 3d printer, an arduino and some engineering skill started making knock-off versions in SA mart, tbh. There's probably a demand but I agree the price is ridiculous.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
finally weed talk I can contribute to.

My upstairs neighbor though I was running a drug den with all the weed I smoke. we had a big sitdown with him my landlord and the property manager where they both told him to calm the gently caress down narc.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Most of the edibles I've made in my life I made by boiling weed and butter or coconut oil with water for a couple of hours, sieving out the solids and then allowing the oil to separate and harden in the fridge for easy collection. I also usually boil and strain the weed again to reclaim as much fat as possible. This effectively decarbs and water cures the weed in one step, and also makes it possible to cook a ton of weed or trim into a small amount of oil. It's also foolproof because it can't possibly burn anything or cook off any thc unless you let all the water boil off, and makes much better tasting brownies than just weed slowcooked straight into oil with all it's grassy hay flavor

App13
Dec 31, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

finally weed talk I can contribute to.

My upstairs neighbor though I was running a drug den with all the weed I smoke. we had a big sitdown with him my landlord and the property manager where they both told him to calm the gently caress down narc.

Wow that landlord and property manager sound incredibly chill. Legal state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Use a canning jar like a mason jar to decarb. Put the lid on finger tight so it’ll burp and not explode. This won’t smell up your complex and you won’t have to buy an expensive decarb oven when you have a perfectly good regular oven.