Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

It's badly translated Xi'an you a’k.ēt’aongchui!

No need to get all potty mouthed you ti'ēn-shan-fuĪ-lā.

Mind you, imagine the space Ambassador's reception https://youtu.be/hMlP_Moo0bE?t=11 when the space Chinese show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Hav posted:

Scrap value on desk, chairs and PCs that don't get half-inched on the way out.

At least one over-priced coffee maker.

We only have Roberts' word, the changes in directorship's from companies house and the sudden appearance of said set of boards to go on. The post-mortem for this whole thing is going to be fascinating.

I'm currently following a class on swiss company laws in the context of start ups. Every 10 minutes the teacher says something CInotG and the Calders pop in my mind.

Today's class was about what kind of investment, for who, from whom and how. My brain was making squeequie noises when we arrived at the crowdfunding section of the presentation.

Key point of the lesson was: "as a lawyer, when drafting a share purchase agreement or a shareholders agreement, you must draft it having in mind things might go really bad, and you want your client to still get the most of it".
At the very least, the Calders should have a liquidation preference clause in there.

Fascinating.

Edit: ambian is bad for typos.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 3, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Megalobster posted:

As much as we make fun of the devs, the hilarity of their product can't really be attributed to them, but to the insane micromanagement, and management bordering on criminal incompetence.

They might actually be the only asset of real value in this mess. With some good restructuring and reshuffling mostly of the execs, you might actually have a fairly decent studio. Maybe not one that is gonna embark on the next AAA GOTYAY, but that could ship medium sized games that actually turns a profit. Focus interactive business model revolves around publishing such games from smaller studios and they are pretty successful at what they do.

Given the workforce being what 500ish? I'd quite like to see a corporate structure listing of every department and employee at CIG to see exactly what everyone is doing.

I mean, it's coming up to year 8, there is no product on shelves, progress is slow to null, 500 people doing something but few know what. If I was running that company, I'd be seriously looking at at least halving the workforce, since when in any other industry have 500 people done so little for so much money?

I feel a Winston Churchill quote begining.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Megalobster posted:

Key point of the lesson was: "as a lawyer, when drafting a share purchase agreement or a shareholders agreement, you must draft it having in mind things might go really bad, and you want your client to still get the most of it"

I wonder what "really bad" would be in the context of a years delayed game that still needs years of work. I'm guessing that they are protected in the event that the valuation of their investment dips below the sum of cash on hand plus whatever they can salvage from the studios. And that valuation comes from if Squadron 42 is on track to be delivered within a certain time window that if estimated to be surpassed, would not be worth the money to see it to fruition. And this is also assuming that they will sell millions of copies (which they won't but Chris somehow managed to convince them they will). So when they hit the point where it's not profitable to be involved in Star Citizen they can nope the gently caress out of there and take whatever money is left from their investment, plus whatever money from backers is lying around, plus the offices to make up the difference.

This might make sense in the scenario that not all the money was dumped on Chris at once and that certain cash influxes are tied to milestones. If they don't hit the milestone, they don't get the money until they do and if they never do than everything Calder has that wasn't handed over yet is safe from plunder.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Megalobster posted:

As much as we make fun of the devs, the hilarity of their product can't really be attributed to them, but to the insane micromanagement, and management bordering on criminal incompetence.

They might actually be the only asset of real value in this mess. With some good restructuring and reshuffling mostly of the execs, you might actually have a fairly decent studio. Maybe not one that is gonna embark on the next AAA GOTYAY, but that could ship medium sized games that actually turns a profit. Focus interactive business model revolves around publishing such games from smaller studios and they are pretty successful at what they do.

I'm not really making fun of the devs, though. Why would someone pick up CIG, when they can just hire the members of the team if they think they're worth something? No actual game development studio would in a million years want to tie their product to the CIG name, so that's right out. Their equipment might be somewhat useful, the buildings are irrelevant, the management is inept, and nobody really knows what everyone is doing in this company.

So when they go out of business, you suddenly have those teams available for hire. Just start up a new studio without all the toxic baggage and hire the people now looking for work. Fixer-uppers in business rarely work unless the foundation of the company is solid. Chris built this with every goal in mind except making a game, so the foundation is rotten to the core. Consider the ludicrous Austin to Santa Monica move - who in their right minds is going to want to take up that albatross of a studio?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not really making fun of the devs, though. Why would someone pick up CIG, when they can just hire the members of the team if they think they're worth something? No actual game development studio would in a million years want to tie their product to the CIG name, so that's right out. Their equipment might be somewhat useful, the buildings are irrelevant, the management is inept, and nobody really knows what everyone is doing in this company.

So when they go out of business, you suddenly have those teams available for hire. Just start up a new studio without all the toxic baggage and hire the people now looking for work. Fixer-uppers in business rarely work unless the foundation of the company is solid. Chris built this with every goal in mind except making a game, so the foundation is rotten to the core. Consider the ludicrous Austin to Santa Monica move - who in their right minds is going to want to take up that albatross of a studio?

Surely people like Lando and Zyloh will be hot commodities right?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Whatever happened to the wingmans hangar guy anyway

I came into this mess late so i had never heard of it until Bootchas videos and i was flabbergasted at the difference in enthusiasm and connection the wingmans hangar guy compared to DiscolandO.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

his nibs posted:

Just to tag onto the 2020-being-the-year-of-potential-comeuppance chat, it would be somewhat poignant and probably fitting for Star Citizen to finally die just as long-time space nemesis Elite Dangerous gets its space legs working and becomes the game that Citizens actually thought they were getting all those years ago.

Counterpoint: no game will ever be what Citizens thought they were getting.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nicholas posted:

Like the first thing you'd do before you license a game engine is very precisely nail down the scope of your game, the genre, the budget you are working with, and the time frame you're hoping to accomplish everything. If you don't have that information you can't really make a good decision on what engine, middleware, and other tools are right for the job.

Star Citizens scope is "Entire Universe" simulator. It's Genre is Spaceship-FlightSim-SinglePlayer-MMO-FPS-RTS-EconSim. It's budget is "As much money as people give us", and it's time frame is "What is 'release' anyway?"

There is no engine out there that would have worked. Not then, not now, not even something completely written in-house, because no aspects of the games design have ever been set in stone.

The biggest fallacy in all this, IMO, is the ever increasing budget, due to the on-going crowd funding. C!G have convinced people that all the money goes to developmen. It's a huge red flag that the cost of this game is "however much money we rake in from donations". Star Citizen is not overbudget. There is no budget.

If SC has a $60 million dollars budget they should be sitting on ~200 Million dollars in profit right now, which could then rightfully be given out to the execs as huge bonuses, or re-invested into improving the technology. Instead they are somehow operating in the red with no clear end in sight.

Apply this logic to literally anything else and it's instantly obvious how absurd the logic is. How could an architect design a house where the budget is not $1,000,000, but instead "~$250,000 a year until I decide to stop giving you more money". Where would you even start? How would you know when you were supposed to be finished? You'd start off with a wood frame and years later realize it should've been concrete and steel. But it'd cost so much to retrofit at that point, that you couldnt afford the concrete and steel anyway... so you just spend all the money on expensive wall paper.

I'm still trying to catch up to the thread but I had to pop in and quote this excellent post.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Hav posted:

I'm done.

The Calders have a lawyer on the board. Educated speculation is that this;

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

Is an expression of how close they are to finishing the thing that they needed the marketing cash for, which is around a years worth of expenses. So they want to wrap up Squadron 42 as the vertical slice to help create an actual revenue stream other than wishes and FOMO.

Hit 'Features' and note that they haven't actually updated to Q4, even though it ends in under two sprints.

Bear in mind that the roadmaps were there to create an impression of progress and accountability by surfacing the scrum boards *after a fashion*, but the way that they shuffle things around....well, it reminds me as to the reason why the Russian airforce is constantly restructuring; it makes it really hard to get an overall picture.

The Calders bought their 10% (plus whatever clauses) of CIG in June 2018. When the news was made public to backers late 2018 CIG said
:trustme: "our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization and polish) and then Beta."

Crobear is well known for his (lack of) timetable accuracy plus his defiance of "this occasion I'll be on time, honest". He'll have sold the late-2020 release of Sq42 to the Calders "give me money, we'll definitely release it then, and you get lots of profit". CIG had 18 months to get the game ready for release, that's surely more than enough time... right?

Sq42 has already had its beta delayed by 3 months, yet the chapter progress is still 6 months behind.

Sq42 will not be feature and content complete in 4 weeks. Push the deadlines back.

The sunk-cost fans will cope. But what will the Calders do?

Yikes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I came into this mess late so i had never heard of it until Bootchas videos and i was flabbergasted at the difference in enthusiasm and connection the wingmans hangar guy compared to DiscolandO.

He left CIG, created a company to make his own game (a new Descent), got funded via kickstarter, released an alpha of the game (which sucked), got external investment, ran out of money, development stopped, and the game is now in limbo.

It sounds kind of similar to another space game but I cannot for the life of me remember which one.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:psyboom:

Griz
May 21, 2001

trucutru posted:

It sounds kind of similar to another space game but I cannot for the life of me remember which one.

Overload is the Descent clone that actually came out.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Griz posted:

Overload is the Descent clone that actually came out.

I have failed to make a joke. I'll go buy a Javelin in shame.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

The Calders bought their 10% (plus whatever clauses) of CIG in June 2018. When the news was made public to backers late 2018 CIG said
:trustme: "our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization and polish) and then Beta."

Crobear is well known for his (lack of) timetable accuracy plus his defiance of "this occasion I'll be on time, honest". He'll have sold the late-2020 release of Sq42 to the Calders "give me money, we'll definitely release it then, and you get lots of profit". CIG had 18 months to get the game ready for release, that's surely more than enough time... right?

Sq42 has already had its beta delayed by 3 months, yet the chapter progress is still 6 months behind.

Sq42 will not be feature and content complete in 4 weeks. Push the deadlines back.

The sunk-cost fans will cope. But what will the Calders do?

Yikes.

This is why it’s kinda fun modeling the scenarios and seeing what happens, but the one constant is that Chris misses deadlines. His record so far on this project has been over a year for a missed deadline. I really hope he signed on date milestones, mainly for the comedy.

Their estimations should have started to get better, though. Or they’re fundamentally missing the concepts of breaking down problems, but it’s not like they have much accountability.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A very bitter separation happened when the HQ was moved to California. I'm not sure if he was fired or just bought out of the project but he poo poo talked CIG on-stream a couple of times afterwards.

He was super unprofessional on stream, endearingly so in my opinion. And (apparently) his crew couldn't put out much of a game when they had their own kickstarter. But I enjoyed him a hell of a lot as community face and general publicity guy. He actually had character and seemed delighted to be there. Lando's just smug and cringey.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Picture time:

Starbases got moved closer to planets and got new interiors. Spoiler alert: the interiors are still grey metal with neon ads everywhere. But now there are plants? I like that they didn't have a wall-planet asset so they just stuck ground-planters through the edges of all the space. Doesn't look dodgy at all, level guys! Doing great work and I definitely am not beginning to suspect that the art team is being gradually let go!

I'll fully admit, the stations in low orbit are way cooler and more atmospheric than putting them in deep space.

Also, here are some pictures of the new snow and ice planet. As one might expect, it is covered in snow and ice. I guess that's... fun?

Here are some new helmet animations for taking your helmet off and carrying it around. They still haven't fixed the bug where you'll die instantly if you walk around without a helmet on, so. You know.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/e596va/helmet_animations/?st=k3p97dtx&sh=980c65a5

Finally, the armor design team is still doing wild poo poo that looks nothing like any of the other art in the game.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Finally, the armor design team is still doing wild poo poo that looks nothing like any of the other art in the game.

CI!G have ripped off The Predator now?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That looks similar in a couple ways to their old Vanduul design, which you used to be able to see here.

Did the texture not load? Are the Scary Space Barbarians getting a refactor? Unfortunately it is impossible to know.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Any other business would be bankrupt by now. What nobody realized was how extremely gullible space nerds are.

L Ron Hubbard definitely did.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

echothreealpha posted:

Dude who made Fyre Fest got some pretty rich investors on board. Think it's easy to promote Star Citizen to someone who doesnt really know about the gaming industry when you can show them pictures and cheers from citizencon, the amount of money the Kickstarter got, and the stupid amount of cash that was pledged after.

You can spin the 250 million crowdfunding easily by going "We managed to get 250 million worth of pledges, with 1.5 million paying users, which average at about 160 dollars that is spent by users on the game!'

The Calders though are not actually idiots though compared to the investors Fyre had, they are not rich kids investing in projects left, right and center. Googling the Calders total investments since the sale of their music company in 2002 amounted to 5 movies and CI.

A lot of CI has been questions throughout everything they do or has happened, this but it's another of whats the point. Calders pouring money trying to save this project or giving it another years is strange. This isn't some rich parent investing into something for their child like Shahid Khan with wrestling.

trucutru posted:

Softbank has invested something like 8 billion dollars in wework, which values wework at 25 billion for softbank to break even. And since there is now no way in hell wework will ever get that sort of valuation now we can assume that mayyyybe, just mayyyyybe, investors can be as dumb as star citizen backers.

Uber or Wework would have had billions poured into because the idea was new and untapped market, everything on about it in principal could work and it would have free reign because legislation nor competition could catch up to it for years, whereas a any new ride sharing app is going to get less investment because years later, laws have been set and the market size of people using the service is at that point is known to the general public.

Despite what the deluded who spent 10's of thousands into ships, Star Citizen isn't tapping into some unknown or untapped market, besides the market of people who haven't play games since windows 95 was still the dominate OS on PC. The market for a s[ace themed or space flight genre may have been slightly underestimated by the big publishers Chris went to to pitch Star Citizen, but they have since then, announced their own, beaten him to market and have moved the gently caress on because the sales were a slump compared to the previous game or the sequel.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

stingtwo posted:

The Calders though are not actually idiots though compared to the investors Fyre had, they are not rich kids investing in projects left, right and center. Googling the Calders total investments since the sale of their music company in 2002 amounted to 5 movies and CI.

A lot of CI has been questions throughout everything they do or has happened, this but it's another of whats the point. Calders pouring money trying to save this project or giving it another years is strange. This isn't some rich parent investing into something for their child like Shahid Khan with wrestling.

I'm not going saying that Calders will invest more into the project but rather, how easy it is to present the project to potential investors.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stingtwo posted:

Wework would have had billions poured into because the idea was new and untapped market

Lol, nope, renting offices (even super flexible micro rents) is not particularly new.

Investors, even famous ones, can be super dumb.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Abriael/status/1201525630698954753
https://twitter.com/Abriael/status/1201526624002412544
https://twitter.com/Abriael/status/1201556024529960960
https://twitter.com/Abriael/status/1201558299314929664

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

trucutru posted:

Lol, nope, renting offices (even super flexible micro rents) is not particularly new.

Investors, even famous ones, can be super dumb.

The concept of shared space isn't new, but it's made open to the average person or group either wanting to rent out unused space, or people people looking for the space without having to spend hours or days looking for it either.

It's like saying airb&b is no different to a person who would advertise his house being offered to rent for a day/week/month on craigslist. It's not, but it has opened it up to more people who may not be as savvy or have the time to look for places.

I'm not saying your typical investor isn't a super dumb rear end hedge fund manager with 100 of his idiot hedge fund manager friends going all in together on what they think is the next facebook or twitter. But I am saying the Calders don't seem to be those type of people, they have invested in very little over the past 15 years.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

lol, bringing up Space Engineers is such a mistake. It's probably the only game I can say, without any hint of irony, is buggier than Star Citizen.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ah, "not the same level of fidelity" is the killer argument in their minds isn't it? Like adding more polygons makes something better, even if featurewise, its the same.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris isn't that coherent. Joe's just a garden-variety moron who phrases his dumbass quips as a series of "gotcha" statements. He's one of many I can think of that fully deserve to lose every cent he gave to Master Thief.

I don't write off that Joe is just Dr. Smart trolling the internet.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1201189120573366272
https://twitter.com/PaulJonesAD/status/1201603512712474624

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
No Man's Sky is actually a legitimately good game right now and I can unabashedly recommend it. I do recommend the hide all notifications mod once you've figured out the basics.

Sarsapariller posted:

Here are some new helmet animations for taking your helmet off and carrying it around. They still haven't fixed the bug where you'll die instantly if you walk around without a helmet on, so. You know.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/e596va/helmet_animations/?st=k3p97dtx&sh=980c65a5

What imbecile made that animation? The hands are clipping through the helmet.

Nalin posted:

lol, bringing up Space Engineers is such a mistake. It's probably the only game I can say, without any hint of irony, is buggier than Star Citizen.

Have you actually played Space Engineers lately? They've mostly fixed rotors and pistons, and the game is actually fairly good these days.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Even in 2013, the dread of the developers were getting into was known.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

They’ve been reduced to using all sorts of tricks left and right, because their insane promises of fidelity were completely unworkable. They had to make an entirely new player inventory that was non-physicalized, and look at the years of fuckery with the elevators. Time and time again they have banged their heads against the wall for years trying to solve simple video game problems that were solved years ago with their own complex solutions that didn’t involve “trickery”; only to fail miserably and be forced to implement those well known solutions they scoffed at, but in a hilariously inept and broken form.

And the graphics, well 8 years is a long time and there are better looking games on current gen consoles.

But it’s all just tier-0! Your fidelitous universe sim is right around the corner!

I hope these smug idiots give every last cent they have to Chris Roberts. He’s the rambling narcissistic buffoonish king they deserve.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
God, those fake Top Gear videos. Thank you, CIG, for showing me just how poo poo old Top Gear would have been if the presenters had no charisma and the production team had no talent or passion.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

just eyerollin' at space engineers having 'simpler physics' than star citizen.

and i bet if you gave the Empyrion devs even 10% of what SC has raised they could act as an artist employment program too

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 3, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

You all mocked it, but Star Citizen truly has implemented quantum design. You can't say it'll never be released, because tons of people have it installed and are playing right now. You also can't criticize it as if it has released, because it's an alpha and you don't understand game development. SC both is and is not released. Crobbler has invented quantum absolution.

Also, as a recent new PC haver, holy poo poo does SC look ancient even when it's not collapsing in on its own dumpster fire.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I have never seen worse tech advice than in that thread :psyduck:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stingtwo posted:

The concept of shared space isn't new, but it's made open to the average person or group either wanting to rent out unused space, or people people looking for the space without having to spend hours or days looking for it either.

The added value that wework provided is also not new dude, that's my point. Regus does everything that WeWork does and more, it's bigger, and -more importantly- it wasn't lead by a clown. Wanna rent some insta-office for a day? Regus got your back since 30 years ago, WeWork? can't do that.

The only thing that wework offered that was new was pretending it was a tech company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

stingtwo posted:

Uber or Wework would have had billions poured into because the idea was new and untapped market, everything on about it in principal could work and it would have free reign because legislation nor competition could catch up to it for years, whereas a any new ride sharing app is going to get less investment because years later, laws have been set and the market size of people using the service is at that point is known to the general public.

Despite what the deluded who spent 10's of thousands into ships, Star Citizen isn't tapping into some unknown or untapped market, besides the market of people who haven't play games since windows 95 was still the dominate OS on PC. The market for a s[ace themed or space flight genre may have been slightly underestimated by the big publishers Chris went to to pitch Star Citizen, but they have since then, announced their own, beaten him to market and have moved the gently caress on because the sales were a slump compared to the previous game or the sequel.

lol my dude have you not paid attention to literally anything happening right now with finance and billionaires? it turns out everyone involved with finance are the dumbest people on the planet and grifting them is good and worthwhile. cig stealing some rich idiots money is the best thing cig has done so far