Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

fool_of_sound posted:

I feel like sleep poison doesn't make you foam at the mouth

I think that's just drool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

I feel like sleep poison doesn't make you foam at the mouth

It's a fictional poison, it does whatever it wants.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Y'all had a debate about how V was FOR SURE messaging their family and were wrong and rather than learn and not wildly speculate we've now got two months of trying to determine what obscure DND creatures those are based entirely on the color of a speech bubble

This is going to be fun

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Len posted:

Y'all had a debate about how V was FOR SURE messaging their family and were wrong and rather than learn and not wildly speculate we've now got two months of trying to determine what obscure DND creatures those are based entirely on the color of a speech bubble

This is going to be fun

You'll take my idle speculation from my cold dead posts are

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Len posted:

This is going to be fun

Like theres anything better to do.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Len posted:

This is going to be fun

I mean, might as well lock the thread with the reasoning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's a celestial badger and a githyanki paladin

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Len posted:

Using IP never released into public domain? Clearly a chaotic wrongful act

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Len posted:

Well an anti-slavery gith, a githyankee

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Len posted:

I'm sorry but they like to be called jiffjankey, please abide by their wishes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm just gonna read that last line as belonging to someone who knows what the Snarl is and is reluctantly entering the battle against it. Which means it could be Serini, agents of Serini, someone working for one of the other gods like Tiamat, or an as-yet-unseen member of the vaguely alluded-to ninth faction.

That, or someone working towards the end of the world, but I don't think that quite scans with their dialogue and not killing the paladins.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Well an anti-slavery gith, a githyankee

:golfclap:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

DoctorTristan posted:

My guess is they’re dragons or dragon kin - Enor has a blue speech bubble, and the empress of blood has a red bubble.

Could be a red and a green working together perhaps? Or maybe a copper and a bronze? Or maybe it’s Tiamat and her other three heads didn’t feel like chatting?

I think this makes the most sense. Tiamat is often shown as the leader of the the red quiddity pantheon, and we really haven't seen them be active at all in any of this. You'd assume that with all of the other huge things going on - especially the Godsmoot - she'd be chasing her own path and plans, which may not be directly opposed to what the paladins are up to.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Len posted:

This is going to be fun

You're right, it's crazy to try and speculate on what kind of creature they might be.

But we can definitely speculate on their alignment based on an intentionally non-fatal sneak attack on a pair of paladins, right? :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

skeleton warrior posted:

I think this makes the most sense. Tiamat is often shown as the leader of the the red quiddity pantheon, and we really haven't seen them be active at all in any of this. You'd assume that with all of the other huge things going on - especially the Godsmoot - she'd be chasing her own path and plans, which may not be directly opposed to what the paladins are up to.

I was thinking of something along those lines as well: they could be someone(s) who want to do something with the final Gate now that the possibly unique opportunity has revealed itself, but they do not want to risk Xykon and Redcloak becoming an unwanted wild card that could derail those plans. Thus, incapacitating but not killing the Paladins; the newcomers would want to hedge their bets by throwing every potential asset they have towards dealing with a significant threat to whatever they have in mind.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

I mean, might as well lock the thread with the reasoning.
Unironically in favour of

For real y'all do what you like and I don't expect this to impact anyone beyond giving cause for an eyeroll, but I'm gonna peace out until the comic starts up again.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

MrFlibble posted:

Like theres anything better to do.

Was 4th edition chaotic neutral or lawful evil? Discuss.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

4th edition was full of rules, which are like laws, so I think that the answer is obvious.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bongo Bill posted:

4th edition was full of rules, which are like laws, so I think that the answer is obvious.

Laws mean nothing if there are no sanctions for breaking them, so I would take these 'rules' more as ethical guidelines that you may choose to follow, or not.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So, three somewhat more substantative observations-

Because the assailants are invisible, it's possible they've been there for a really long time. If that's the case the only apparent trigger for their attacking the paladins now is that they heard the message about reenforcements arriving- suggesting that, for whatever reason, they were reluctant to attack them in case the paladins suddenly received an important message.

Even though Redcloak was the one urging restraint before now he's the one hurrying to a degree that's even alarming his normally willful allies. My guess is that he's received word about what was going on at the Godsmoot from either the Dark One directly or a sympathetic high priest, and that he's willing to be reckless because the Plan's only going to work if the world isn't destroyed first.

Because Team Evil is exhausting themselves trying to tackle as many Gates as quickly as possible, the Order could probably overpower them easily even without backup- and that goes for any other general observers too. So it's significant that the goal going forward is not actually to defeat them, since Redcloak (or, theoretically, another goblinoid who can cast ninth level spells and don the Red Mantle) is necessary to permanently seal the Gates.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That's a long rear end break. :ohdear:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Monster in the Darkness's relatives. The umbrella is just to help keep track of the little fellow. And so that low level parties know that there is something there to be scared of. The speech bubbles just indicate a fancy outer planes accent. Since the Monster was raised on the prime...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

habituallyred posted:

Monster in the Darkness's relatives. The umbrella is just to help keep track of the little fellow. And so that low level parties know that there is something there to be scared of. The speech bubbles just indicate a fancy outer planes accent. Since the Monster was raised on the prime...

I had the same idea, but people can see the MitD and have reacted to its horribleness. Is there a creature that turns invisible as it ages?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Because the assailants are invisible, it's possible they've been there for a really long time. If that's the case the only apparent trigger for their attacking the paladins now is that they heard the message about reenforcements arriving- suggesting that, for whatever reason, they were reluctant to attack them in case the paladins suddenly received an important message.

Not just the paladins talking about reinforcements coming, but them talking about their own plans to find the gate. Which if the whole series of doors is a bluff, you wouldn't want to have your potential allies get stuck dealing with the whole thing as well.

And there's just no way the gate is behind one of those doors.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

And there's just no way the gate is behind one of those doors.

Yeah, it's somewhat ironic that they're falling for the same gambit they pulled at the battle of Azure City.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah, it's somewhat ironic that they're falling for the same gambit they pulled at the battle of Azure City.

This becomes I think, suddenly very likely now that I remember Serini is a rogue?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Raenir Salazar posted:

This becomes I think, suddenly very likely now that I remember Serini is a rogue?

Yeah, Serini faking everyone out with the Shell Game is totally in character and the correct ploy. Why give the Lich a 1% chance of guessing the right door if you can give him a 0% chance?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And RedCloak's not a rogue, so even if he came up with a version of the shell game, he's not going to recognize the general principle.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
I decided to read through some of the archives and found this:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html

It may be a coincidence, but that's also the last time we saw Hinjo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the color's slightly off, which I think Rich wouldn't do if it was intentional.

Wouldn't mind seeing a story featuring weird mindflayer bugs though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the color's slightly off, which I think Rich wouldn't do if it was intentional.

I think those are just Carrion Crawlers, low level monsters that Hinjo was using to level up his new troops.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Pretty sure they're just inexplicably sentient carrion crawlers

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hinjo iirc also has like a dungeon/abandoned castle/ruins on their new island they needed to clear.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hinjo iirc also has like a dungeon/abandoned castle/ruins on their new island they needed to clear.

As of the azure City side story book, the dungeon was done and clear

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

That's a long rear end break. :ohdear:

There is always a long break between books.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
In addition to all this voice theory crafting, I was thinking about Monster in the Darkness's identity. I'm hoping that when the unveil happens, there is a callback joke to when the monster was first introduced. MITD was first introduced 16 years ago, so a callback joke would unseat 8 Bit Theater's '4 White Mages' callback joke. That's the sort of long term petty rivalry I can get behind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's not a lot of webcomics that are still around that can beat that record by much, maybe Schlock Mercenary and Sluggy Freelance? Biggest problem is in having anything that would be memorable so that the audience would know that it's a callback. Girl Genius has that real slow burn time window bit dating back to either '05 or '01 that may blow things out of the water one day.

It'd be really hard to beat 8-Bit Theater's delivery though. Especially if you're one of those writers that wants to resolve your characters' arcs and development and provide a satisfying conclusion instead of putting all your cards into a punchline that perfectly encapsulates the whole feeling of the comic in one dumb anticlimax.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Can we just skip 2020? It'd be nice to know what's happening 30 strips into the next arc and also all the other reasons

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's not a lot of webcomics that are still around that can beat that record by much, maybe Schlock Mercenary and Sluggy Freelance? Biggest problem is in having anything that would be memorable so that the audience would know that it's a callback. Girl Genius has that real slow burn time window bit dating back to either '05 or '01 that may blow things out of the water one day.

It'd be really hard to beat 8-Bit Theater's delivery though. Especially if you're one of those writers that wants to resolve your characters' arcs and development and provide a satisfying conclusion instead of putting all your cards into a punchline that perfectly encapsulates the whole feeling of the comic in one dumb anticlimax.

Something Positive, Megatokyo, Penny Arcade, and Questionable Content have been around about that long, they still updating? I haven’t checked the webcomics thread in years, just spitballing names here, and lord knows I’m not going to bother quickly googling to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Something Positive, Megatokyo, Penny Arcade, and Questionable Content have been around about that long, they still updating? I haven’t checked the webcomics thread in years, just spitballing names here, and lord knows I’m not going to bother quickly googling to find out.

But none of those are any good.