Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's just a pointless anecdote, but Intel really is experiencing manufacturing woes: I heard from a guy at work today that my new laptop will take a while to come due to Intel supply issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

HalloKitty posted:

It's just a pointless anecdote, but Intel really is experiencing manufacturing woes: I heard from a guy at work today that my new laptop will take a while to come due to Intel supply issues

I ordered a laptop for a new hire end of july who was starting in september. He got it last week. I didn’t really believe the supply woes excuse I thought it was just IT being useless but perhaps I was wrong..

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

In the consumer space, yes the gap isn't that great. In the server market, Intel is only staying afloat with institutional momentum. Epyc chips beat them out on performance and cost pretty much across the board.
Historically with the big players it was AMD’s lack of volume potential / capacity as well as Intel being more power efficient per volume with stuff like the Xeon D series. If AMD manages to eek out a mobile chip that’s really solid with power management and can get some decent OEM motherboard channel relationships Intel is in serious trouble of ceding a significant amount of market share without showing some material improvements and shipments in the coming year

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Talking about competitive balance long term, if Intels 7nm actually shows up on schedule (lol) in 2021 or 2022, it is very likely to wreck everyones poo poo. The density numbers on it are ridiculous. More than double the density of Intels 10nm, TSMCs 7nm+, or Samsungs "7nm" EUV (which are roughly equal), and 50% more dense than TSMC "5nm".

But TSMCs "5nm" is supposed to be already a year old by then, so AMD really does need to keep their foot on the gas while they can. They do have the problem of being a relatively low profit part on TSMCs nodes though, which means they normally don't get a crack until after Apple. Ditching Glofo is a double edge sword I guess. They wouldn't be here without TSMCs 7nm, but now they have to rely on someone else to supply them... someone who does business with bigger fish than AMD.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cygni posted:

Talking about competitive balance long term, if Intels 7nm actually shows up on schedule (lol) in 2021 or 2022, it is very likely to wreck everyones poo poo. The density numbers on it are ridiculous. More than double the density of Intels 10nm, TSMCs 7nm+, or Samsungs "7nm" EUV (which are roughly equal), and 50% more dense than TSMC "5nm".

But TSMCs "5nm" is supposed to be already a year old by then, so AMD really does need to keep their foot on the gas while they can. They do have the problem of being a relatively low profit part on TSMCs nodes though, which means they normally don't get a crack until after Apple. Ditching Glofo is a double edge sword I guess. They wouldn't be here without TSMCs 7nm, but now they have to rely on someone else to supply them... someone who does business with bigger fish than AMD.

Every new process node is the best poo poo ever until it has to go into production :v:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
OTOH, Intel has a long history of absolute dominance in terms of high performance process tech. Yes, 10nm has been a complete disaster, but I don't think that's reason to assume they've completely lost their edge.

eames
May 9, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Anandtech just wrote about this.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15162/dell-intel-cpu-shortages-worsened-in-q4-premium-commercial-pcs-impacted

article posted:

Intel experienced production variability in the fourth quarter

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

priznat posted:

I ordered a laptop for a new hire end of july who was starting in september. He got it last week. I didn’t really believe the supply woes excuse I thought it was just IT being useless but perhaps I was wrong..

we have to wait 1.5 months before dell and ship a laptop, and no one ever got fired for buying intel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wargames posted:

we have to wait 1.5 months before dell and ship a laptop, and no one ever got fired for buying intel.

Hmm, this was dell too. We used to buy our own laptops for the team from a list of options but after an acquisition we have to purchase through servicenow tickets to IT and it is a black hole of responsiveness.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Mine's HP, for what it's worth

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 28, 2019

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
We just received couple HPE Proliant servers with Xeon Gold 6146 processors which took almost month and a half to deliver. Initial estimate for the processors was 60 days. I just ordered another server. On the original configuration the CPU had normal delivery time, but the 64GB RAM sticks had 60 days. I don't know what RAM shortage we are suffering now. Fortunately we could swap it to different similar model with usual delivery time.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Been receiving biweekly delivery pipeline updates since March because Dell’s delays are so bad we have to defer new hire start dates; we don’t have computers to give new employees. It’s real out there, folks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Serious question: My shop is all Macs for dev machines and has had zero of these issues, and we're ordering pretty big quantities. We're even ordering them through an obtuse ServiceNow corporate process and they show up in less than a week. How is Apple sidestepping this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It has been hell to order singles but ordering 50+ has been business as usual for me the last few years.

I may have lucked out on the refresh though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Twerk from Home posted:

How is Apple sidestepping this?

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple is getting priority on shipments thanks to whatever deals Intel offers every time Apple threatens to jump ship to another manufacturer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

isndl posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple is getting priority on shipments thanks to whatever deals Intel offers every time Apple threatens to jump ship to another manufacturer.

It's likely this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-supply-update/

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

priznat posted:

Hmm, this was dell too. We used to buy our own laptops for the team from a list of options but after an acquisition we have to purchase through servicenow tickets to IT and it is a black hole of responsiveness.

I am on the IT side this is just how long it takes.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Intels capacity problems are probably all related to 10nm being behind schedule, 10nm has at least double the density of 14nm, which means double the chips per wafer. I'm assuming wafer throughput is relatively constant regardless of process node.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Most of their CPUs are still on 14 nm. I suspect one reason for the shortages is that, thanks to AMD, the average CPU now comes with a lot more cores than they used to, making them larger, meaning Intel get fewer CPUs per wafer.

eames
May 9, 2009

What ever happened to the rumors of Samsung fabbing 14nm CPUs for Intel to address the shortages? Guess that never materialized.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Perplx posted:

Intels capacity problems are probably all related to 10nm being behind schedule, 10nm has at least double the density of 14nm, which means double the chips per wafer. I'm assuming wafer throughput is relatively constant regardless of process node.

Yep, fabs are set up for so many wafer starts per month, what you put on those wafers is your own business, but smaller chips = high yields.

eames posted:

What ever happened to the rumors of Samsung fabbing 14nm CPUs for Intel to address the shortages? Guess that never materialized.

Even if you bust your rear end setting the masks up, going from "I want the shiny" to "here is the first batch of 50k shinies" is like a 6-12 months long, depending on process node, number of layers, and a million other factors.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 29, 2019

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

eames posted:

Turned out to be chipsets rather than CPUs.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I got a screaming deal on a 9900KS and a Z390 motherboard so looks like i'm building a new rig. Asking in here rather than the PC building thread because I vaguely remember someone having strong opinions about it (Paul Muad'dib?): what RAM should I get? Currently eyeing G.SKILL Trident Z Neo RGB F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC 32 GB RAM

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Generally a set of Samsung b die RAM will clock the highest and have better timings but it’s all a crap shoot which depends on your ram, motherboard and IMC. Most 3200 CL14 ram is die and a fair amount of 3600 CL16 is as well. You can wring out some decent performance on intel with ram overclocking but not as much as ryzen. I’m running 3200 CL14 b die at 3700 CL15 with tightened timings a because my mobo or cpu IMC doesn’t like higher than that. Roughly every 200 MHz evens out with a single increase in CL.

This was a decent list I saw on reddit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y29lfTkhA-YHUBp4ZRbKu6i7QslhJ3I2SMYIsGYe4Qs/edit

I’ve had terrible luck with patriot memory so I won’t buy them but I have had good luck most other brands. If you don’t care about tinkering a nice 3600 CL16 16GB kit or 3200 CL16 if you’re looking at 32GB will basically get your 95% of the way there.

I used this guide a some other resources to overclock.

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 2, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sphyre posted:

I got a screaming deal on a 9900KS and a Z390 motherboard so looks like i'm building a new rig. Asking in here rather than the PC building thread because I vaguely remember someone having strong opinions about it (Paul Muad'dib?): what RAM should I get? Currently eyeing G.SKILL Trident Z Neo RGB F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC 32 GB RAM

If you're not the type to spend hours trying to get the last 5% of performance out of your RAM, that G.Skill kit should be perfectly fine.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Chrome v79 on my Asus Chromebook just disabled hyperthreading due to those Intel vulnerabilities. I was able to 'temporarily' turn HT back on but wow, it was slow as poo poo without it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Chrome v79 on my Asus Chromebook just disabled hyperthreading due to those Intel vulnerabilities. I was able to 'temporarily' turn HT back on but wow, it was slow as poo poo without it.

Yeah, I mentioned this a few times over in the Mac thread. All the dualcore 1.6 GHz Macbook Airs that are sold as new and up-to-date are in for a rough ride if (when?) Apple has to disable HT by default.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Does B-die really hold any advantage over that new stuff (Micron E-die I believe)? The new stuff is a lot cheaper and seems to support some fast frequencies.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

eames posted:

Yeah, I mentioned this a few times over in the Mac thread. All the dualcore 1.6 GHz Macbook Airs that are sold as new and up-to-date are in for a rough ride if (when?) Apple has to disable HT by default.

Won't i5/i7 processors be affected by this too? I'm not a computer genius but I watched some YouTubers do tests on high end gaming rigs and disabling HT seemed to make a difference.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does B-die really hold any advantage over that new stuff (Micron E-die I believe)? The new stuff is a lot cheaper and seems to support some fast frequencies.
A few of the timings are significantly better, but in practice there's not that much of a difference. Especially not one to justify the cost.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Won't i5/i7 processors be affected by this too? I'm not a computer genius but I watched some YouTubers do tests on high end gaming rigs and disabling HT seemed to make a difference.

A bunch of laptop i5/i7 are dual-cores. Anything 2C/4T will get his particularly hard I'd bet, as 2 threads just isn't great for modern workloads.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
aren't there utilities that let you disable the security mitigations?

eames
May 9, 2009

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Going from 4C/8T to 4C/4T would be a barely noticeable annoyance for the average user (!) whereas going from 2C/4T to 2C/2T will potentially make your computer unusable for a few seconds if your start Mail.app, Safari and Slack at the same time while Time Machine is running.

Paul MaudDib posted:

From what I’ve read it depends on the platform and binning.
The good, top end B-die bins still run way tighter timings at the same or higher clocks than Micron E-die, particularly primaries as well as secondaries like TRFC.
Intel gets the most performance gain out of these because the IMC scales well and the cache is relatively small compared to Ryzen.
B-die also scales better with voltage which probably isn’t important for 24/7 use.

Once you go down to the lower bins (sub 3600MHz with mediocre timings) the difference gets much smaller. At that point average E-die sticks may perform better than bad B-die.

e: I should also mention that interleaving in dual rank mode generally gives higher throughout but diminishes the value/impact of low timings. So for 2x8Gb on an Apex board you really want B-die while it won’t matter as much for 2x16GB or 4x8GB on other boards.

eames fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 3, 2019

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
don't those hyperthreading attacks require a lot of involved effort to exploit? why is it worth destroying performance on cheap laptops to protect against an attack that no one outside of a server farm is going to see

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I agree and in a consumer-friendly world there would be a little "opt out of speculation execution exploits" button for consumers. Intel's explanation would probably be that their REAL customers are server farms, and that you should upgrade your hardware anyway. In addition, consider the bad press coverage that would occur if a data breach happened that could be blamed on un-patched operating systems and CPU architecture. mix that up into a stew and you get mandatory performance-limiting software patches.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shipon posted:

don't those hyperthreading attacks require a lot of involved effort to exploit? why is it worth destroying performance on cheap laptops to protect against an attack that no one outside of a server farm is going to see

The concern of the independent researcher teams that found these bugs is that there could be (multiple) undiscovered/undisclosed exploits in the wild that require less effort and/or are harder or even impossible to mitigate.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Asimov posted:

I agree and in a consumer-friendly world there would be a little "opt out of speculation execution exploits" button for consumers. Intel's explanation would probably be that their REAL customers are server farms, and that you should upgrade your hardware anyway. In addition, consider the bad press coverage that would occur if a data breach happened that could be blamed on un-patched operating systems and CPU architecture. mix that up into a stew and you get mandatory performance-limiting software patches.
Every single HPC cluster doesn't use the exploit mitigations, because all of the OSS OS' including Linux lets you turn them off (though there's no standard) and they're all heavily firewalled from even accessing the internet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

There's probably some CEO out there where the vector would be absolutely worth using on their laptop and Intel would be liable if they didn't apply a blanket policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For what it's worth, the biggest issue with the side-channel attacks was that it allowed javascript running in browsers to be used to leak kernel information in memory including passwords stored in password vaults - and that has been mitigated on both Chrom(e|ium) and Firefox which covers like 98% of the browser market, by making the timings in browsers not as tight.

So if you're like me and have an old laptop where the performance impact is rather high (even with the big speed increases in Firefox), you might forego them and rely on the browser mitigation instead.