Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Ice Phisherman posted:

Don't forget DC. It has a population larger than Wyoming and has no representation in congress past a fig leaf non-voting member.

PR and DC getting statehood destroys the senate rural advantage.

i agree but there's historical precedence for DC being not a state. Puerto Rico's existence is a historical anomaly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah US territories are weird. In the 2000s republicans passed bills letting sweatshops with 'guest workers' and zero protections run in like...Guam? and still get the MADE IN USA label.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

yeah US territories are weird. In the 2000s republicans passed bills letting sweatshops with 'guest workers' and zero protections run in like...Guam? and still get the MADE IN USA label.

Saipan I think

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Democrats would have to maintain a majority in the House + win a simple majority in the Senate (I think they need 52 or 53 seats since some Blue Dog Dem senators already said they'd vote against changing the filibuster) + get the presidency + immediately eliminate or modify the filibuster to what it was decades ago so everything couldn't be stopped up in the Senate by a single Repub and THEN the Dems would have to do stuff (at a minimum) like get the Fairness Doctrine reinstated.

Dems have a pretty good probability of keeping a majority in the House and a decent one at getting the presidency but the Senate will be a long shot at best and the most likely Dem candidate to win the election (Biden) flat out won't change or get rid of the filibuster and really in terms of policy is basically a 90s Repub so yeah that probably isn't happening.

We need this so bad... I'd rather we just fire fox news into the sun, but honestly, just making it so news in America isn't hyper-partisan would go a long loving way in returning our politics to sanity.

theflyingorc posted:

The fairness doctrine would be absolutely horrible and only give credence to insane right wing theories on the regular news

uh... :foxnews:, gently caress CNN and NBC already do it too.

I mean... it would make people listen to that poo poo on regular news where it will be challenged, instead of now where they just lie to people for years until no one questions the lies.

people ITT just loving HATE the fairness doctrine because it'll what? Put Chris Christie on Meet the Press? We'll have to listen to fuckin' Eric Erikson on MSNBC? We'll have to watch Jake loving Tapper?

Guys, corporate centrist broadcast media is ALREADY giving right-wing bullshit a platform. The problem is Fox News and Talk Radio exist and it's all 40% of the country even listens to.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 1, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Venomous posted:

For an example of how this works in practice, look at the BBC, which is pretty much Conservative Party state media now

uh, that's not at all how this would work.

Think more like Australia... where they have climate panels on TV with 5 exports and 1 climate denier and they all take turns dismantling his stupid junk science and conspiracy theories.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 1, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chilichimp posted:

uh... :foxnews:, gently caress CNN and NBC already do it too.

I mean... it would make people listen to that poo poo on regular news where it will be challenged, instead of now where they just lie to people for years until no one questions the lies.

You realize that this would make them find "both sides" on every issue, right?

Now they're legally required to have a climate change denier every time we discuss climate change, weeeeeeeeeee

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Now they're legally required to have a climate change denier every time we discuss climate change, weeeeeeeeeee

edit:

like are you guys just scared that we'll reinstitute the fairness doctrine and then suddenly everyone will just be like "oh noooooooo... now I believe the DUMB poo poo!" instead of the opposite, where stupid ideas gets challenged by competent experts, and it forces people to confront their cognitive dissonance?

Again, most of us are living a centrist media dominated news world where we get to see this disingenuous right wing bullshit and laugh at how inept they are. The other side is just in an echo chamber with liars, hucksters, and propagandists like Jesse loving Waters. That "news" is fascist propaganda, and the point is to turn people against "the left", and that just cannot continue.

edit2:

this is the drat impeachment thread. the stakes right now are simple. The republican base hasn't budged an INCH on the impeachment proceedings... because they get their information from people who are just playing republican soundbytes, and argue in bad faith that the democrats have nothing.

It's editorial from the moment they enter the meeting room. They never once allow facts to get in the way of their narrative. People in right-wing media have openly posited that if Nixon had Fox News, he wouldn't have been impeached, and we're seeing that play out in real time today.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 1, 2019

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Dont they just let deniers go on the air and spout bullshit to be unrefuted now? I know lots of news people let the right wing go on tv and lie without being called on it. Chuck todd for example loves to let the right wing lie and bullshit about things. Having someone there to say "all of that was bullshit" might improve things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Meatball posted:

Dont they just let deniers go on the air and spout bullshit to be unrefuted now? I know lots of news people let the right wing go on tv and lie without being called on it. Chuck todd for example loves to let the right wing lie and bullshit about things. Having someone there to say "all of that was bullshit" might improve things.

That's not how it would work at all. Chuck Todd would just turn to a Democrat and say, "Your Republican colleague says the sky is pink. What is the Democrats' position?"

Every news show would end up as Crossfire.

The end you seek would not result from the policy you are pursuing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

That's not how it would work at all. Chuck Todd would just turn to a Democrat and say, "Your Republican colleague says the sky is pink. What is the Democrats' position?"

Every news show would end up as Crossfire.

The end you seek would not result from the policy you are pursuing.

Yeah like, who wants a show with both Rahm Emanuel and Chris Christie on at the same time? If we brought back the fairness doctrine, thats what we’d end up with!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
THE PRESIDENT DOESN'T GET REPRESENTATION IN THE IMPEACHMENT HEARINGS! WITCH HUNT!

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1201298020790345730?s=19

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

THE PRESIDENT DOESN'T GET REPRESENTATION IN THE IMPEACHMENT HEARINGS! WITCH HUNT!

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1201298020790345730?s=19

"Despite the rare opportunity to present evidence to the grand jury, the defendant declines, just because he's so innocent."

Edit: Edited in wrong thread.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 2, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Chilichimp posted:

uh, that's not at all how this would work.

Think more like Australia... where they have climate panels on TV with 5 exports and 1 climate denier and they all take turns dismantling his stupid junk science and conspiracy theories.

Much of Fox News programming is exactly that except balanced the other way. The Five, Outnumbered, any panel show or segment.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Much of Fox News programming is exactly that except balanced the other way. The Five, Outnumbered, any panel show or segment.

Judge Andrew Napolitano occasionally describing how the law works to the dimwits on "The Five" doesn't count.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/02/politics/house-republican-response-impeachment-inquiry/index.html

what the hell is this dumb bullshit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Oh really now?

quote:

"Ultimately, President Zelensky took decisive action demonstrating his commitment to promoting reform ...
So there was a quid pro quo (by their incorrect definition) and the exchange occurred!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I haven't read it, but I would guess fiction.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Oh really now?

So there was a quid pro quo (by their incorrect definition) and the exchange occurred!

it seems to me the issue is the GOP doesnt have a real defense and they can't use any real tactics to really help themselves. like early on, you saw a few of them try to say trump hosed up and the bad thing wasnt that bad, but monster mash and his grave yard smash buried that defense. basicaly they only defense they can use is "trump was perfect and..... whatever".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spun Dog posted:

I haven't read it, but I would guess fiction.

i mean yeah, i just meant what the gently caress were they even trying to do.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It seems like it would have been smarter to hold onto this until it was sent to the Senate. This allows time for Democrats to tear into it during further hearings in the Judiciary committee

Edit:

quote:

"The evidence presented does not prove any of these Democrat allegations and none of the Democrats' witnesses testified to having evidence of bribery, extortion, or any high crime or misdemeanor," according to a copy of the report reviewed by CNN.
The Republican report does not acknowledge any wrongdoing surrounding the central allegations in the impeachment inquiry, putting forward a narrative that's likely to be used by congressional Republicans and the White House in their fight against the Democratic impeachment push. The report largely ignores or downplays testimony from career officials who raised serious questions and concerns about the conduct of the President and some of his top aides.

If we ignore the evidence, then there is no evidence QED

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

It seems like it would have been smarter to hold onto this until it was sent to the Senate. This allows time for Democrats to tear into it during further hearings in the Judiciary committee

Edit:

If we ignore the evidence, then there is no evidence QED

like i have said. they can't acknowledge it because trump would get mad and turn the base against them. it would be so loving easy for the gop to say, "well trump hosed up big but this isnt impeachment level, maybe centure instead or something" but nope.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Chilichimp posted:

Judge Andrew Napolitano occasionally describing how the law works to the dimwits on "The Five" doesn't count.

I mean the Juan guy who's a regular token blackman/loony lefty :tinfoil:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We all thought if Trump shot someone on 5th avenue in broad daylight, the Republicans would say "yeah he did it but we don't care." We were wrong - they will say "this is all an insane liberal conspiracy and there is no evidence it happened."

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

KillHour posted:

We all thought if Trump shot someone on 5th avenue in broad daylight, the Republicans would say "yeah he did it but we don't care." We were wrong - they will say "this is all an insane liberal conspiracy and there is no evidence it happened."

"everyone does it"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
(Shits all over the place, repeatedly)
"Awww how cute!"

I never knew Republicans liked babies, but here we are.

I also can't quite believe that people aren't going to see through their deception and vote them out, but maybe if they scream loud enough the subpoenae will be scaled back and the Senate will never get to draw out all the real transcripts that corroborate the 23 people that need to be chucked in prison.

I can imagine what will happen if the impeachment doesn't succeed in the house.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

(Shits all over the place, repeatedly)
"Awww how cute!"

I never knew Republicans liked babies, but here we are.

I also can't quite believe that people aren't going to see through their deception and vote them out, but maybe if they scream loud enough the subpoenae will be scaled back and the Senate will never get to draw out all the real transcripts that corroborate the 23 people that need to be chucked in prison.

I can imagine what will happen if the impeachment doesn't succeed in the house.

idk. i feel like this poo poo will probably hurt the GOP more in 2020 than think it will. especially after last years and this years elections. catering to only to the core base while pissing on everyone else doesnt help them.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yep. Sanders or Warren beats Trump by 20 million votes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Yep. Sanders or Warren beats Trump by 20 million votes

this. also, hell even stupid shits like biden probably beat trump by a ton too.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They're definitely showing their true colors. The White House is all over the place, still, complaining about not being able to attend Wednesday while saying they won't attend in any case. Meanwhile,

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/02/judiciary-witnesses-impeachment-trump-074799 posted:

“There’s nothing the American people want to hear less than a bunch of overly educated law professors give their advice” about impeachment, Jordan Sekulow, an attorney for the president, said on his father’s talk radio show.
basically clarifies that the House is doing the right thing by verifying some precedent for their findings, but apparently the "American people" have no interest in upholding the law and prestige of our country and government.

At the same time,

quote:

Also Monday, Trump’s personal legal team mocked the Democrats for turning to constitutional experts rather than first-hand witnesses who could identify impeachment-worthy behavior by the president
so I guess they're going to respond positively to subpoena requests now?

Aside: How many US Presidents were elected with no prior political experience? :thunk:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They're definitely showing their true colors. The White House is all over the place, still, complaining about not being able to attend Wednesday while saying they won't attend in any case. Meanwhile,

basically clarifies that the House is doing the right thing by verifying some precedent for their findings, but apparently the "American people" have no interest in upholding the law and prestige of our country and government.

At the same time,

so I guess they're going to respond positively to subpoena requests now?

Aside: How many US Presidents were elected with no prior political experience? :thunk:

Other than Trump:

Eisenhower, Grant, Taft, Hoover, Taylor

Lincoln had very little.

At the other end, Buchanan was a savvy career politician whom Trump will finally displace as Worst President Ever.

Political experience in and of itself doesn't seem to be a particularly good predictor of presidential success.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Washington???

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Washington???

He held a number of elected positions in Virginia. No national politics, of course, because there was no nation yet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

Other than Trump:

Eisenhower, Grant, Taft, Hoover, Taylor

Lincoln had very little.

At the other end, Buchanan was a savvy career politician whom Trump will finally displace as Worst President Ever.

Political experience in and of itself doesn't seem to be a particularly good predictor of presidential success.

Taft had been Secretary of War, among other things, before becoming President, or are we strictly talking about running for an elected office instead of being appointed?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Taft had been Secretary of War, among other things, before becoming President, or are we strictly talking about running for an elected office instead of being appointed?

I was going on "running for elected office." All of them on the list had some sort of executive experience in government-related positions.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
When it's all said and done, will Trump go down as the worst president in history?

Buchanan seems nearly impossible to top, so I think Trump would have to win a second term in order to beat him out. I'd imagine that a second Trump term would essentially head us down a path of no return, perhaps even to a new civil war and/or destabilization of government as we know it.

One term Trump could take the victory if it turns out he actually is an active Russian double agent instead of a useful idiot and opportunist. That alone could cement his legacy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe not the worst in terms of the effects of his policies, but definitely the worst at being a president. Unless you count post-stroke Wilson.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You know you got a poo poo lawyer when he calls the lawyers on the other side "overly educated."

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe not the worst in terms of the effects of his policies, but definitely the worst at being a president. Unless you count post-stroke Wilson.

Eh, it’s hard to say on the policies because we won’t really know for years. Buchanan was terrible because his reaction to slavery was to gently caress up abolitionists to try and keep Kansas a slave state, then to turn a blind eye when Southerners started embezzling federal munitions to prep for civil war. If Trump’s tariffs, rate cuts, and tax cuts lead to a massive depression where the government doesn’t have the resources to fix things, or if his general demeanor towards allies lead to a breakdown of the post-Cold War order in terrible ways (NATO disbanding, South Korea becoming a Chinese client state and reverting back to a dictatorship, Saudi/Iranian/Israeli wars, etc.) then I could absolutely see Trump being worse than Buchanan.

But it really is a terribly low bar to slump under.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I think the reason that Trump is so uniquely awful is that his horribleness is literally broadcast across the world as it happens. It's often not even through news intermediaries. His Twitter feed is like if FDR had fireside chats twice a day while he was taking a poo poo and just screamed incoherent nonsense and bigotry into the radio mic. Buchanan existed in a world that was much more fragmented, and not just politically. Communications, meetings and deployment of federal resources took weeks or months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If Trump will go down as worse than Buchanan, we’ll only know after the upcoming election; when he refuses to step down (if he loses) and causes a(nother) constitutional crisis, he’ll have it in the bag.