Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The trade document was first leaked over a week before the election was even declared. The idea that it's a Russian attempt to influence the election is utterly ludicrous on its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Kirby looks better shirtless IMO.

Look at those nips peeking out over that rock! :swoon:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If it's real I personally don't care if the Russians stole it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The trade document was first leaked over a week before the election was even declared. The idea that it's a Russian attempt to influence the election is utterly ludicrous on its face.

lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, but I've seen too many consultation exercises to be reassured by that. They seem sure the end result will be individual tailored plans. And I do not need any help to make my own plans thanks. What comes next? Regular assessments of how well I am conforming to the plan, I expect, or what would be the point of them?

What would you like to see implemented as the alternative?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Continuity RCP posted:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, but I've seen too many consultation exercises to be reassured by that. They seem sure the end result will be individual tailored plans. And I do not need any help to make my own plans thanks. What comes next? Regular assessments of how well I am conforming to the plan, I expect, or what would be the point of them?
I read it as "the performance of the assessors will be gauged by metrics led by disabled people" rather than "skills wallets but for PIP"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Continuity RCP posted:

No you see, you have to pretend that factual information doesn't exist if it was leaked by a badman. Now where's my State Department check?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Braggart posted:

Kirby looks better shirtless IMO.

Look at those nips peeking out over that rock! :swoon:

holy actual gently caress

Those are rosy cheeks, not nipples. I will not fight you on this; my correctness is unassailable.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think you can simultaneously believe that the attempt to discredit the leak is being driven to draw a line between Corbyn and Russia for propoganda purposes and also that the providence of the leak does raise some questions (boosted by burner accounts on obscure German language sites simultaneously as being reposted by a user with the same name as the Reddit poster on a conspiracy news site where they also shared an anti-impeachment article with Labour aligned sources saying it was anonymously emailed to them from an address that did not reply)

Doesn't say anything about the veracity of the document itself of course

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I read it as "the performance of the assessors will be gauged by metrics led by disabled people" rather than "skills wallets but for PIP"

Ideally you would want DWP people to know about any difficulties so they can signpost / access other support services and programs. But given how that's gone under the Tory DWP it makes sense to be concerned.

I wouldn't even want to give an assessor a glance at my mental health record because I'm terrified what they'd do with it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My personal view is that if the Russians are interfering in our election it is not to the benefit of Labour or the Tories, but specifically - and bear with me here - to stop Brexit.

That's right, I'm saying Jo Swinson's the foreign agent!

Not because they want Britain to do well and Brexit would be a disaster, but because their initial plan for Brexit, which they absolutely pushed for, has not come to fruition as hoped. If you recall prior to the referendum result it was considered that Britain leaving would be the first in a line of 'dominoes' - Eurosceptic EU member states - 'breaking free' and collapsing the union.

As you may have noticed, that didn't happen, so now consider Russia's geopolitical interest. They have some leverage over Germany due to natural gas supplies, but their biggest political power in the EU comes from the overly cosy position the oligarchs have within the Conservative Party. Now that Brexit means only us leaving the EU, it would cut off a large source of their influence. Had the dominoes fallen in chain, this would be offset, but it hasn't happened.

So now they want us to remain, and their vehicle of choice, the Tories, are too far down the rabbit hole to pivot to anything other than hell Brexit. So now they've got to try something else - the leaking of the trade deal even prior to an election which damages the Tories, the hacking of Aaron Banks' Twitter account. These don't point to a pro-Labour element, but to damage the credibility of those pushing for Brexit.

And yes I would like fries with that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Purple Prince posted:

Ideally you would want DWP people to know about any difficulties so they can signpost / access other support services and programs. But given how that's gone under the Tory DWP it makes sense to be concerned.

I wouldn't even want to give an assessor a glance at my mental health record because I'm terrified what they'd do with it.
"Nothing about us without us" has been a rallying cry for disability groups for a long time though, and there's a large difference between Blairite "client customer service user led individual feedback based consultations" and the idea that you shouldn't be making changes to disability support without asking actual disabled people's groups whether there's anything you overlooked or whether it sounds like a terrible idea.

Which I guess depends how you read it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Rarity posted:

What would you like to see implemented as the alternative?

Well I'd like a Citizen's Income for starters so that the DWP has less power over individuals. But given that some disability qualifications for benefits will still be needed I should like them to focus on people's extra needs because they have disabilities, not on plans and barriers to them being employed. If you are blind you're going to have needs and expenses a sighted person doesn't, so you should get a benefit to cover that, and all you should need to do is provide medical evidence to prove you're blind. You should not have to let them see all your medical records, you shouldn't have to discuss your blindness and how it affects you with DWP workers, you shouldn't have to agree a plan with them for trying to get job and have them regularly judge your compliance.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is he just saying the first thing that comes into his head, or does he generally think that "are you negotiating over the NHS" means we're going to give America the NHS?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Quote isnt Edit oh god I've never done this before I'm actually a little excited

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

"Skills Wallets"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is he just saying the first thing that comes into his head, or does he generally think that "are you negotiating over the NHS" means we're going to give him the NHS?

It is 100% a line his handlers have made him repeat until even he couldn't gently caress it up, because they know that if the Tories win re-election it absolutely can be on a silver platter.

And to note, they worked so hard on this that he hosed up the anti-Semitism attack because he'd forgotten it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Quote isnt Edit oh god I've never done this before I'm actually a little excited

Get him

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

VideoGames posted:

I just checked wikipedia and what I discovered was shocking:

Sassy VG best VG

radmonger posted:

Analyse the ‘joke’. How is it supposed to be funny unless the punchline is how strong Putin is that he can have his enemies killed?
Real talk: is your day job yelling at the pigeons outside the library about admiralty courts?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
OFCOM shut down the tories complaint about the ice sculptures replacing Johnson and Farage in the climate debate

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1201827778737389568

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is he just saying the first thing that comes into his head, or does he generally think that "are you negotiating over the NHS" means we're going to give America the NHS?

yes

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nish Kumar was booked for the lords taverners lunch. It didn't go down well.

https://twitter.com/Kleesho/status/1201747427767865344

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jim_Cornelius/status/1201793064651628544?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jim_Cornelius/status/1201793067440918528?s=20
https://twitter.com/Jim_Cornelius/status/1201793068778827778?s=20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

rofl

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

That Vote for Policies questionnaire has been updated for 2019 – it feels far less relevant this go around but might be a useful tool for anybody with parents who intend to vote Tory against their own self-interest or what have you.

Jippa posted:

Nish Kumar was booked for the lords taverners lunch. It didn't go down well.

https://twitter.com/Kleesho/status/1201747427767865344
Looking forward to hearing all about this on next weeks' Bugle. Nish's mad cackling laughter is probably my favourite recurring guest.

TACD fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 3, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

My personal view is that if the Russians are interfering in our election it is not to the benefit of Labour or the Tories, but specifically - and bear with me here - to stop Brexit.

My personal view is that whatever you've been smoking, it was very rude of you to not offer to share.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

My personal view is that whatever you've been smoking, it was very rude of you to not offer to share.

Look, we live in the dumbest world, and my theory is just as cromulent as any other.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also I have rear end-mar so I cannot smoke. I drink instead.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

TACD posted:

That Vote for Policies questionnaire has been updated for 2019 – it feels far less relevant this go around but might be a useful tool for anybody with parents who intend to vote Tory against their own self-interest or what have you.

Looking forward to hearing all about this on next weeks' Bugle. Nish's mad cackling laughter is probably my favourite recurring guest.

I've not listened to the Bugle for the last year or so, what's it like these days? Do they have the Correct Opinions or are we sending Zaltzman to the cricket gulag.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Her Dryer posted:

I've not listened to the Bugle for the last year or so, what's it like these days? Do they have the Correct Opinions or are we sending Zaltzman to the cricket gulag.

Nish is on it a lot and he is both extremely funny and pretty good politically. Andy is good I think, not like super enthusiastic about Corbyn but relentlessly attacks the Tories. Maybe a bit melty. I think Rob Forde is the only outright bad guest and he's only been in once, and I think he was offset my Mark Steele on that occasion.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
People will read into the article their own biases. I read the article and it says only that it is unable to confirm their authenticity, and that no official response has been forthcoming.

Some people read that as a carefully neutral statement of fact, others as an attack on Labor. I myself am somewhat in the middle, the article doesn't state the documents are doctored, etc., but I can see that less cautious readers will take it as Labor spreading fake Russian documents, and this concerns me.

Fold in the usual antagonism to Brown Moses from the usual suspects in here, and step back.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If the Labour party increases tax on corporation rates and dividends, what's to stop companies handing that cost down to the consumer?

Why won't they raise prices and then kick up a stink saying "Corbyn made us do it"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Her Dryer posted:

The Bugle still plays the "all politicians are the same lol" card a bit but it feels like it's borne out of a habit of That's Just How You Do Comedy rather than deep-seated liberalism. Most of the time they're talking about issues or specific stupid poo poo that Trump or Johnson have done rather than Corbyn / Labour. It's good IMO

TACD fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 3, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

hahhaah amazing :allears:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Azza Bamboo posted:

If the Labour party increases tax on corporation rates and dividends, what's to stop companies handing that cost down to the consumer?

Why won't they raise prices and then kick up a stink saying "Corbyn made us do it"
At least one competitor company will keep prices low and destroy all the ones who raise their prices unnecessarily.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Apparently Jeremy has used the word "sorry" in response to a question about anti-Semitism in a hard hitting interview with Jeremy Paxman. No wait, not him, Philip Schofield.

So now we wait to see how this is somehow a bad thing

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Flayer posted:

At least one competitor company will keep prices low and destroy all the ones who raise their prices unnecessarily.

Who would invest in such a company to carry out the expansion it'd need to destroy the others?

If they did, would they not be saying to the directorate "okay we're in but can you maybe just push our dividends up a little bit?"

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 3, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol I just spoke with a recruiter about a role that might cease to exist under a Corbyn government as it's with an industry that will be nationalised

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/1201814584539172864

What a lovely, diverse list of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HauntedRobot posted:

Apparently Jeremy has used the word "sorry" in response to a question about anti-Semitism in a hard hitting interview with Jeremy Paxman. No wait, not him, Philip Schofield.

So now we wait to see how this is somehow a bad thing

Remember when he handed Cameron a list of suspected Tory nonces