Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Guilty Gear Xrd is to this day one of the best looking games in existence, maybe give that a go. It can be pretty hectic, for sure, but it's so absurdly good looking if you're going for spectacle it's really hard to think of a fighting game with more of it than GGXRD.

release trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCNRXZ0iEPc&hd=1

gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQevVmCEWGo&hd=1

The whole thing is entirely based around the idea of "3D, but made to look 2D in animation, frames, and model design" and they specifically styled the animations to look like they were hand-drawn sprites with proper motion blurring and such like you'd get on sprites, except when they go into special moves and the camera changes. It's such a brilliant design and done so well, that I'm really eager to see if, or how, they'll top themselves with the next one that they've been putting teasers out for.

these are all 3D models, designed to animate like sprites, many from prior games using the same animations as their former sprite versions(whole bunch more here):
(old Sol Badguy idle stance for reference)

god, this game came out almost six years ago! It still totally holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ultrafilter posted:

Check out Skullgirls.

I'm probably the biggest Skullgirls defender who still posts here and even I wouldn't say it's a particularly good spectator sport. So much of the game revolves around being able to spot the exact moment where players had a chance to escape a reset / continue their combo, which is not visually obvious at all unless you've played the game for hundreds of hours.

Guilty Gear (for reasons already covered), Vampire Savior (because it's a relatively simple and extremely aggressive game, which makes it easy to follow -- 95% of the time whoever is moving forward the most, is winning), or Tekken (I've never played Tekken in my life and it was still entertaining to watch a few EVOs ago) would be my choices.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the recommendations! Skullgirls I found pretty impossible to follow, what with each side having three characters that are constantly popping in for assists. I'm having better luck with Guilty Gear Xrd, and will check out Vampire Savior and Tekken later.

I'm getting the impression that SF5 is the slowest-paced of the fighters currently being played; is that an accurate assessment?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tekken is easy to understand from a spectating standpoint, Tekken 7 especially is played at such a high level that the best players in the world are very visibly godly at what they do. Watch EVO 2019 culminating with Knee vs. Arslan Ash in the Finals. I don't even play Tekken and it was hype as hell.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I have both the witcher 3 and hollow knight and I have some free time to kill this week. Anyone have an opinion on which is more fun? I know this is a super arbitrary question but I'm hoping someone has a strong opinion because everyone else I talk to says "both are really good"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have both the witcher 3 and hollow knight and I have some free time to kill this week. Anyone have an opinion on which is more fun? I know this is a super arbitrary question but I'm hoping someone has a strong opinion because everyone else I talk to says "both are really good"

Witcher 3 has strong writing but boring combat. Hollow Knight has minimal (but good) writing with a focus on excellent platforming/combat.

They're both good, but what are you looking for?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

StrixNebulosa posted:

Witcher 3 has strong writing but boring combat. Hollow Knight has minimal (but good) writing with a focus on excellent platforming/combat.

They're both good, but what are you looking for?

Mostly just rpg+open world exploring but I think I'm less interested in the story, although if the writing is That Strong maybe it would change my opinion?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mostly just rpg+open world exploring but I think I'm less interested in the story, although if the writing is That Strong maybe it would change my opinion?

As someone who reads a lot of books: I found the Witcher 3's writing to be good. It's real solid low fantasy with detective stuff and some baller character dramas. Compared to regular books, that is. Compared to video game writing it's easily some of the best in the medium, especially in the AAA space. It won't beat Planescape Torment, but then, what could?

Are you in the mood for that, or do you want to platform and explore and fight bugs?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who reads a lot of books: I found the Witcher 3's writing to be good. It's real solid low fantasy with detective stuff and some baller character dramas. Compared to regular books, that is. Compared to video game writing it's easily some of the best in the medium, especially in the AAA space. It won't beat Planescape Torment, but then, what could?

Are you in the mood for that, or do you want to platform and explore and fight bugs?

Thanks for the clear rundown, I am!

Your av just makes me want to play more baba though :3:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

nessin posted:

I'm legitimately wondering if there is any game that has a more "you may actually poo poo your pants" moment than the first time you see a Reaper? I mean it isn't really that scary after you see it a few times or look at it from an outside perspective, but the in game moment of the alien underwater environment, that roar, maybe the shadow of something moving way out, and then munch time? Added on to the fact that you know there has to be something scary in the game but you have no point of reference, it's not like this is an Alien game, or a ghost horror, or psycho killer, or whatever you know what to expect to be scared of.

I had this moment yesterday. I found an enormous sinkhole surrounded by barren sand dunes so I parked my seamoth to take a look around. A couple minutes later I had collected what I wanted, looked up to find my seamoth, and... it was gone. So I'm frantically swinging by camera to and fro, and at one moment I turn around and this guy is up in my face. I screamed.

Only after I had swam to safety did I make the connection that this rear end in a top hat killed my kitted out seamoth :argh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Only after I had swam to safety did I make the connection that this rear end in a top hat killed my kitted out seamoth :argh:

Shouldn't have left the lights on

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

last question I promise, kb+m for either or is it controller for both?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

last question I promise, kb+m for either or is it controller for both?

I didn't have a controller when I played both so...

I enjoy platformers with keyboard though. I'd say use what's comfortable?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Both games are great with kb+m or controller imo. For hollow knight I guess controllers are more comfortable for platforming.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hollow Knight is a very atmospheric game, and a lot of the details of the game's setting and backstory are never spelled out for you. It's also pretty slow at the beginning but if you stick with it gets amazing later on.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Hollow Knight has a very dark souls esque "figure out the story from sparse clues" thing going on, but it's very well executed. Witcher 3 ruled to have good writing that explained most things but I bounced off the combat system pretty hard so I don't really know.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Witcher 3 has great writing but mostly because the characters are funny and the short to medium questlines are fantastic, some of the best ever. The actual overarching plot is kind of nonsense but it makes cool fights happen.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

double nine posted:

Any recommendations for games that

- is co-op oriented
- can be played multiplayer with two other people
- can run on a potato
- can run installed on a usb drive
- doesn't need a launcher like steam (so on gog or standalone)

basically I want to play a game with two mates that isn't inherently competitive (there may be the occasional brawl, but no rts/fps where the explicit goal is to frustrate the other players), but they only have laptops from work, so I need to be able to run the game without admin privileges.

The Trine series (4 of them as of recently) should tick all of those boxes.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I haven't seen it come up so I want to recommend Equilinox for those who like chill games. You have barren land and have to cultivate ecosystems. When you fulfill certain requirements you can evolve the things in your ecosystem to unlock more stuff. It's good for those who just want a fishbowl game, but some of the combinations are complicated enough that it's still somewhat challenging for those who like to unlock all the things.

I picked it up in the steam sale and promptly spent 6 hours clicking on grass and trying to evolve chickens into sparrows...

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Kind of a weird request, but does anyone have any games that are good to play for literally 3-5 minutes at a time, put down for 10 minutes, and pick back up again? Preferably something where I don't even have to pause, I can just turn away from it. Genre doesn't matter too much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Galick posted:

Kind of a weird request, but does anyone have any games that are good to play for literally 3-5 minutes at a time, put down for 10 minutes, and pick back up again? Preferably something where I don't even have to pause, I can just turn away from it. Genre doesn't matter too much.
N++

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Galick posted:

Super Jigsaw Puzzle: Generations and Coloring Pixels. Both are free with paid DLC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Galick posted:

Deadly Rooms of Death
Blockwick 2
LYNE

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Galick posted:

Slay the Spire fits this imo. In the beginning its hard to get a lot done in 3-5 minutes but once you get more comfortable you can make a lot happen in a short amount of time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

Downwell, maybe? You'd have to pause, but you can get a lot of the game done in 3 minutes.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
games like state of decay?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Gonna try State of Decay, Downwell, and LYNE! Thanks folks. I also already have Slay the Spire, but I'm a bit burnt out on it at the moment. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Turns out, I really loved Outer Wilds, and other similar games like Witness, Papers Please, Obra Dinn, etc.

I like anything with a "mystery", and whodunnit type stuff. I've already played the Phoenix Wright series.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tagra posted:

I haven't seen it come up so I want to recommend Equilinox for those who like chill games. You have barren land and have to cultivate ecosystems. When you fulfill certain requirements you can evolve the things in your ecosystem to unlock more stuff. It's good for those who just want a fishbowl game, but some of the combinations are complicated enough that it's still somewhat challenging for those who like to unlock all the things.

I picked it up in the steam sale and promptly spent 6 hours clicking on grass and trying to evolve chickens into sparrows...

I've been looking for ecosystem-building games, will try that, thanks!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Turns out, I really loved Outer Wilds, and other similar games like Witness, Papers Please, Obra Dinn, etc.

I like anything with a "mystery", and whodunnit type stuff. I've already played the Phoenix Wright series.

Aviary Attorney is a game like Phoenix Wright, but with the added complication of having to do investigation locations in the right order to conserve time since it's limited during investigation. It also has a lot of storyline branches you get to by accepting or declining cases, and many endings based on the verdicts you get. You can even fail every single trial and get an ending for that. I feel like it takes itself less seriously than the Phoenix Wright series though.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Yes, phoenix wright is well known for taking itself way too seriously

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
already finished disco elyseum. other games with good story-writing?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Definitely play Puzzle Agent 1 + 2. Also Beyond Good and Evil, if you haven't already. The rest of my suggestions don't exactly fit as much.

Westerado is all about the relatively shallow (but mechanically raw) mystery of which of the npcs loitering around the gameworld murdered your family and shooting him dead, and you do so by doing quests that give you hints as to his appearance. There's also multiple possible endings.

The Sam and Max games have mysteries happen in them, but they kind of happen incidentally in the overarching plot while most of the gameplay is normal adventure game stuff.

VA-11 Hall-A is kind of a lighter, more anime version of Papers Please but with bartending in a horrible cyberpunk dystopia. Not really a lot of mystery though.

Beholder is a game about working for a dystopia as a building manager and snooping on your tenants.

2064 I've heard good things about and involves some investigating, but I haven't actually played it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorGonzo posted:

undertale

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

The gameplay and narrative is less focused than Disco Elysium, but Torment Numenera is rewarding in the same ways. Great writing, and some weird as hell ideas. Just make sure you have Erritis in your party.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Disco Elysium
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
AI: The Somnium Files
Unheard

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Capsaicin posted:

Ghost Trick on the DS

The Zero escape games which are also on Steam now and not Nintendo only.

Dangan rompa games but I haven't tried them personally

Also play Disco Elysium. It is that good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The old Blade Runner adventure game is playable on modern PCs now and is a fantastic mystery/investigation game where who is/isn't a replicant is random

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Some good mystery games hewing away from the Ace Attorney genre are Oxenfree and Firewatch. Her Story might be up your alley as well, if you have the patience for fmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Fruits of the sea posted:

Some good mystery games hewing away from the Ace Attorney genre are Oxenfree and Firewatch. Her Story might be up your alley as well, if you have the patience for fmv.

Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea - “Her Story has fmv”isn’t what you think. It’s a game about watching an interview with a murder witness and you are trying to piece together all the clues to solve the murder. It definitely does new and cool things with FMV, and it’s not the old school “play a sequence, and then watch a poorly acted FMV cutscene” that you expect.