Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, what was a better late game option than the Golgari field of the dead decks? They just seemed to have the same 100% inevitability of the Golos Bant decks but with better disruption and removal to insure that you survive until that late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

LOL Historic didn't ban any of these

Lol you think they didn't already forget about historic

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

rabidsquid posted:

legacy and pioneer are a hugely different environment to be comparing stuff, and it's not about power level, it's about crowding out card selection. if you HAVE to run four of the same card in every creature deck its harmful because it homogenizes stuff and its harmful because it makes it harder to design creatures that might otherwise fit into that slot.

if every creature deck in pioneer has to run copter every deck in pioneer has to run with that as a consideration, it keeps out other creature options and it narrows answers.

I think having multideck staples in a format is a good thing as long as it's not oppressing the format as a whole for a significant period of time. They can still print unique creatures to fill the other 20 something non-lands in the deck. It's not like it's an automatic 4 of in every creature deck either.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/brimaz4life/status/1201602664666140673?s=21

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I mean... I don't think that makes much of a difference?

also lol at it playing OuaT anyway.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
white weenie featuring 4x once upon a time

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

white weenie featuring 4x once upon a time

I thought so too, but Heron’s Grace Champion is also WG

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arivia posted:

I thought so too, but Heron’s Grace Champion is also WG

That deck isn't playing green at all without once upon a time, come on.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm the 2 lands in the SB

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
OUAT is too good for modern too, it's only a matter of time. That card should simply never have been printed in a regular expansion. It's green Brainstorm. Banish it to legacy where it belongs, same with Veil of Summer. Those cards belonged in Conspiracy 3 or a commander pre-con or something.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
A shame, 'cause OUaT is a severe flavor win.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

OUAT is too good for modern too, it's only a matter of time. That card should simply never have been printed in a regular expansion. It's green Brainstorm. Banish it to legacy where it belongs, same with Veil of Summer. Those cards belonged in Conspiracy 3 or a commander pre-con or something.

what decks are dominating with OuaT? Last I checked modern was still Whirza hell

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That Knight deck is 100% preying on R/B decks that aren't aggro being so bad in Pioneer right now, the moment that tribal wrath or Anger become worthwhile cards it's stock craters significantly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sit on my Facebook posted:

they're just modern horizons cards shifted to eldraine to sell more standard packs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

they're just modern horizons cards shifted to eldraine to sell more standard packs

The scary thing is those probably aren't the last ones, either. Lead times are pretty large on these sets.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The scary thing is those probably aren't the last ones, either. Lead times are pretty large on these sets.

didn't that worthless play design explanation article say they'd be able to implement the lessons they've learned from all the banned cards by the end of 2020? not filling me with a lot of hope here

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

didn't that worthless play design explanation article say they'd be able to implement the lessons they've learned from all the banned cards by the end of 2020? not filling me with a lot of hope here

"We blew it for like 4 sets straight. Also, bad news about the next few sets. Our next side product? Our bad guys. But Q3 2021 is looking aces!!!"

"Wait sorry, I meant Q4."

.... maybe we'll try again for 2022 with Return to Olgothra

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/1201579946629640192?s=19

MPL members and other Magic "celebrities" shilling for Secret Lair on Twitter is funny as gently caress

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
just because you don't like it doesn't mean that they're faking

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

What?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/1201579946629640192?s=19

MPL members and other Magic "celebrities" shilling for Secret Lair on Twitter is funny as gently caress

i'm the curved as gently caress reaper king

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its not like you need to shuffle your commander anymore, no more tuck rule

thanks tom brady

edit: if you play reaper king in a non-edh format you deserve to get DQ'd

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I think what they're saying is, please don't make fun of the shilling; you may not care but others do

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

honestly i don't even care about magic the gathering, i'm just a big fan of shilling

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

flatluigi posted:

I also describe things I truly enjoy as "valuable" lmbo

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

flatluigi posted:

Maybe not, but EFro acting like that certainly does.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/andrewoid/status/1201602848464785408?s=19

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/1201617414372261888?s=19

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's cool that being an adult who pretends to be excited about overpriced children's toys is a better paying job than any sort of actual labor

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

little munchkin posted:

it's cool that being an adult who pretends to be excited about overpriced children's toys is a better paying job than any sort of actual labor

Over excited about children's anything can make good money on youtube. Pewdiepie is a millionaire.

What constitutes "actual labor"?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ilmucche posted:

Over excited about children's anything can make good money on youtube. Pewdiepie is a millionaire.

I don't think this is the refutation you think it is.

Magic Personalities bragging to the masses about their scratch-off being a winning one definitely has a "soap with a prize inside" vibe, to me.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't think this is the refutation you think it is.

Wasn't a refutation, an acknowledgement that it isn't limited to making money off mtg whales.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

extremely unsure what the point you're trying to make here is, but lol nonetheless

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

little munchkin posted:

extremely unsure what the point you're trying to make here is, but lol nonetheless

I think he's calling the MPL small time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ilmucche posted:

Just for the record, PewDiePie was a born into an incredibly rich family and was guaranteed to be a millionaire from birth. He got famous because instead of having to support himself he could just spend all day making videos and spending his parents money on expensive camera equipment.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Holy poo poo dudes, it's an agreement that it's ridiculous that being excited about poo poo can make you money e.g. pewdiepie who made millions screaming about video games on youtube.

The second part is a legit question as to what constitutes actual labor

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Same honestly, gently caress the structure of capitalism

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly y’all should be happy if someone actually escapes the loving misery that is 9-5 drudgery

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

I hope it was the real Phil Hellmuth playing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly y’all should be happy if someone actually escapes the loving misery that is 9-5 drudgery

Ain't EFro a poker pro anyways? I thought magic was his side gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

personally i don't see any joy in a stranger who doesn't have to be a wage slave for a faceless corporation and is instead getting paid 3x as much to be a shameless marketing shill for said faceless corporation