Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serephina posted:

I just read that entire thing. Horrifying. I've heard this topic discussed before but never really followed through on it. Just to check up on making sure that those monsters would rot, I google'd it and found on wikipedia:
On February 22, 2019, criminal charges were dismissed against Henry, Schooley, and Miles.

Jesus Christ.

From that document, in one of many injury reports:

quote:

On June 16, 2016, Norris "JJ" Groves rode on Verrückt with his family. Groves was
sitting in the back seat behind his wife, with his son in the front seat. As the raft
went over the crest of the second hill, the raft went airborne and Groves' face and
forehead collided with an overhead hoop and netting.

The raft then crashed into the concrete wall at the end of the runout pool.
The lifeguards at the bottom of the ride told Groves that the raft had gone way too fast.
The impact with the hoop and netting caused Grove's right eye to swell shut for the rest of the day.
Groves was taken to the first aid station. Groves told the first aid employee and a SWKC
supervisor on the scene that the raft had gone airborne.
Groves estimates that his
family weighed, in the aggregate, at least 510 pounds on the day of the ride.

In response to the Groves incident, MILES intercepted the incident reports which the
lifeguards had written. MILES destroyed these written witness statements. MILES
then forced the lifeguards to write coached statements which omitted any detail of
how the injury had occurred. MILES then ordered the medical staff to alter their
medical reports.
It already happened before a couple of times and they covered it up and continued operating the ride, and they still didn't get convicted for anything apparently.
That's some nice functioning legal system you guys have over there :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bad Munki posted:

You got a five inch plan?

unfortunately all five inches are owned by the state

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, for sure, that's good and should absolutely be normal. This was more just "two coworkers commiserating over an ugly situation and calling it a debriefing so they feel comfortable talking it out." There's a bit of "wow, that was bad" and some mutual "we did the right thing" and so on. And it's not out of line, it just sucks that anyone has to deal with it. A team dedicated to providing and supporting that sort of conversation would be amazing, but I suspect it's less common outside of groups that are way more likely to find ugly situations like S&R is. Could be the EMTs have that baked into their system, I couldn't say. The ER physicians might, but that would certainly depend on the specific hospital and I've never heard about it there, dealing with that stuff just seems to be "part of the job."

OSHA: Mental Health Edition

Unfortunately most EMTs don't have access to things like that. And it's reflected in their suicide rate which tends to be about five times higher than the general population. EMT tends to be kind of a poo poo job. Pay tends to average at $16 an hour, but often there is a lot of bullshit like per diem rates and wildly fluctuating schedules. Most of the EMTs I know work at least two jobs and often the second job's benefits will be dramatically better even for the poo poo benefits retail offers. Yeah, it's not a job most people take for the money but lots of EMTs aren't making a living wage from it. And there isn't really a career ladder for it. Cities tend to underfund it or use volunteers which keeps pay rates low. For EMS companies, insurance companies are constantly applying pressure to reduce costs so the private sector is even worse.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The most bizarre thing to me when I moved to the burbs is that all the EMTS and firefighters here are volunteers.

I don't know why you would volunteer to work the worst job in the world, for free, but apparently there's a poo poo ton of suckers willing to do it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Renegret posted:

The most bizarre thing to me when I moved to the burbs is that all the EMTS and firefighters here are volunteers.

I don't know why you would volunteer to work the worst job in the world, for free, but apparently there's a poo poo ton of suckers willing to do it.

My understanding is that in some areas it's basically a requirement to get a job doing that. One of my wife's relatives is a firefighter in the south and after he finished his training he pretty much had to do a couple years of volunteer work to get enough of a resume to get hired at a real fire department.

Which is pretty hosed up.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Renegret posted:

it's like being a soccer referee

someone's gotta do it

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

shame on an IGA posted:

lmfao holy poo poo holy poo poo oh my god I'm sitting at a bar next to a couple FM Global salesmen and one of them is trying to figure out whether he wrote the policy on that Texas Petroleum Corp. plant that blew up and more importantly if it will impact his bonus

prolly a lil late to say this but if any of you are ever in a position to eavesdrop on corporate bullshit in public, record it on your phone and share it for the world to get pissed with.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yikes:

0:50 Test run fails terribly, designers all laugh, say "it fell backwards, tipped over and killed every sand bag in there". If I did a bunch of calculations about what should happen and it hosed up that badly I'd be seriously questioning whether I ought to be doing this, not cheering.

The slide dude was a highschool dropout and never did a physics calculation in his life. Everything he built was by trial and error

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

My understanding is that in some areas it's basically a requirement to get a job doing that. One of my wife's relatives is a firefighter in the south and after he finished his training he pretty much had to do a couple years of volunteer work to get enough of a resume to get hired at a real fire department.

Which is pretty hosed up.

It's complicated but it comes down to a couple of things. It's a job people want to do. It's a blue collar job that has a fair amount of respect and even sex appeal. No one is making a calendar of sexy welders. So you get a fair number of applicants. On the other hand, rural areas tend to grossly under fund fire and EMT services. It's expensive as gently caress to run a full time fire department, and if they are responding to three or four fires a year it's hard to convince people to pay more in property taxes for it. So small towns tend to be all volunteer or semi-professional. Where as larger cities tend to have professional departments that can be picky about applicants. The only way to get rural and suburban areas to be all professional is to increase property taxes significantly. Which would be great for firefighters and EMTs but isn't going to happen.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Renegret posted:

When I started university I was in halls and one of the guys on my floor was from way up north in Scotland. Now obviously the fire alarms went off fairly regularly with 200 complete morons with access to toasters. This guy always felt really sorry for the firemen that turned up every time because 'they've got to get up and got to work in the morning', it hadn't occurred to him that the city would have actual professional, full time firemen. He'd only ever met volunteers.

Where I live now has a volunteer fire service, I'm thinking about joining.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aramoro posted:

When I started university I was in halls and one of the guys on my floor was from way up north in Scotland. Now obviously the fire alarms went off fairly regularly with 200 complete morons with access to toasters. This guy always felt really sorry for the firemen that turned up every time because 'they've got to get up and got to work in the morning', it hadn't occurred to him that the city would have actual professional, full time firemen. He'd only ever met volunteers.

Where I live now has a volunteer fire service, I'm thinking about joining.

I have this discussion with my wife pretty often since she grew up out here and I grew up in the city, so what's absurd to me is completely normal for her.

Instead of dialing 911 and having 3 fire engines show up within 5 minutes, you call 911, have to wait for the county's singular fire marshall on staff to show up, decide that it's legitimate, then call in the volunteers.

My one takeaway is to never have an emergency, because I'm probably just going to die before help arrives.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Thomamelas posted:

No one is making a calendar of sexy welders.

If Jacob Wohl's dad can make a sexy calendar, anyone can.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
In my town of 7000, our firehouse was about half volunteer and half full-time. It wasn't out of the ordinary to see a volunteer in their landscaping truck, complete with a trailer full of mowers, gas cans and tools, absolutely booking it & maneuvering around traffic toward the firehouse on a call.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Nocheez posted:

If Jacob Wohl's dad can make a sexy calendar, anyone can.

Getting nauseous while trying to push rope to own the libs.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Renegret posted:

I have this discussion with my wife pretty often since she grew up out here and I grew up in the city, so what's absurd to me is completely normal for her.

Instead of dialing 911 and having 3 fire engines show up within 5 minutes, you call 911, have to wait for the county's singular fire marshall on staff to show up, decide that it's legitimate, then call in the volunteers.

My one takeaway is to never have an emergency, because I'm probably just going to die before help arrives.

Where are you that 911 doesn't immediately dispatch at least one truck upon a call? Even for full volunteer service that is usually pretty standard.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mozi posted:

boners are filled with air, everybody knows this

The air pressure is what keeps the piss stored in the balls

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I grew up in a family that had a long history of being firefighters. My great, great grandfather was and so on. My brother is one now, and my sister married one. My father and uncle were volunteers and were EMTs as well. And I was a junior for a while. Because of that, I would get dragged along to accidents and ambulance calls. Most of the time it was stuff like people using knives wrong or poo poo like that. The last call they took me on was a drunk driver call. Dude got loaded and managed to get his motorcycle a fair distance before losing it. In typical drunk driver fashion, he went ragdoll and found a soft patch of ground to land on. He barely had any road rash. His daughter was riding as a passenger behind him and wasn't so lucky. She found a fence post. If she didn't die instantly it was pretty close to it at least. That was the moment everyone realized I wasn't suited to be an EMT because you aren't supposed to take a swing at patients. I had some drinking issues as a teen and I projected some stuff on to the drunk driver. Far from my finest moment.

Junior firefighters are minors who generally observe and do scut work. Stuff like rolling hoses, or cleaning vehicles. Sometimes we got to practice in smoke houses and got to handle hoses. Although the later was often used as a prank.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Where are you that 911 doesn't immediately dispatch at least one truck upon a call? Even for full volunteer service that is usually pretty standard.

Maybe they do, I wouldn't put it past me to not fully understand.

I'm dead as gently caress either way.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thomamelas posted:

And I was a junior for a while. Because of that, I would get dragged along to accidents and ambulance calls. Most of the time it was stuff like people using knives wrong or poo poo like that. The last call they took me on was a drunk driver call. Dude got loaded and managed to get his motorcycle a fair distance before losing it. In typical drunk driver fashion, he went ragdoll and found a soft patch of ground to land on. He barely had any road rash. His daughter was riding as a passenger behind him and wasn't so lucky. She found a fence post. If she didn't die instantly it was pretty close to it at least. That was the moment everyone realized I wasn't suited to be an EMT because you aren't supposed to take a swing at patients. I had some drinking issues as a teen and I projected some stuff on to the drunk driver. Far from my finest moment.

I'd shake your hand and buy you a coffee.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

It was the wrong thing to do. It was wrong from an EMT response perspective. And it was wrong as a human being. Punching him didn't bring her back. It didn't fix his alcoholism, it didn't fix mine either. It was an emotional response that was as much about me imagining drinking and loving up like that. But it didn't make anything better. He still lives in that town, and he served some time for it. That helped him sober up and now he does public speaking about drunk driving and alcoholism. And he and I talked about it. I could have beaten him within an inch of his life and it wouldn't have hurt more than the guilt he feels.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

See also: the numerous thefts/loss of Soviet-era RTGs and other radioactive materials and the hilarity that ensues when someone uses them to heat their home and cook potatoes.

Sorry, still digging around the old thread archive. This came up in the context of chemical carrying truck disasters. I was just wanting to see if anyone had any examples or links to these incidents? A lazy google just brings up general russian theft lifestyle and issues with soviet nuke stuff. How does one even go about heating a home or cooking a potato once you've stolen some rad material? Just toss a hunk into the oven?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

Just toss a hunk into the oven?

Pretty much. Highly radioactive material is basically a rock that feels hot to to the touch forever. It's like a magic source of free energy, until your entire family dies and a government containment crew liquidates your house.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Sorry, still digging around the old thread archive. This came up in the context of chemical carrying truck disasters. I was just wanting to see if anyone had any examples or links to these incidents? A lazy google just brings up general russian theft lifestyle and issues with soviet nuke stuff. How does one even go about heating a home or cooking a potato once you've stolen some rad material? Just toss a hunk into the oven?

If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I’ll dig up the IAEA accident reports on those incidents when I get to a real computer. Those are some fun reads :yikes:

I don’t remember what the dying skelly version of that smilie is :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

haveblue posted:

Pretty much. Highly radioactive material is basically a rock that feels hot to to the touch forever. It's like a magic source of free energy, until your entire family dies and a government containment crew liquidates your house.

Might as well because the radiation liquidated your family's insides.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Khanstant posted:

The radiological accident in Lia, Georgia

https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Here’s the report from Lia, Georgia. 3 guys found a disused Soviet-era 90Strontium battery, and slept next to it for a few hours before they woke up vomiting, and with severe burns.

https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

e: are you loving kidding me :laffo:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
There's also this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

If you have metal that gives off a blue light, maybe don't let your children play with or eat it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

same same.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nocheez posted:

There's also this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

If you have metal that gives off a blue light, maybe don't let your children play with or eat it.

On second thought, maybe don’t skip work to go watch Herbie Goes Bananas.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Both of those stories are incredible. Also the one where the nuclear battery got stolen from a lighthouse in russia, the thieves dropped it cause it's loving hot, then it proceeded to melt through sea ice to meet all the car batteries down there.
https://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/stolen-lighthouse-radiothermal-generator-recovered-gulf-finland/

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

From that document, in one of many injury reports:

It already happened before a couple of times and they covered it up and continued operating the ride, and they still didn't get convicted for anything apparently.
That's some nice functioning legal system you guys have over there :stonk:

yeah I live not far from Schlitterbahn KC and it was another example of the Brownback administration rubber-stamping and ignoring enforcement of anything with a whiff of deregulation

it'd still be operating if it hadn't killed an influential family's son

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

PSI is stored in the balls.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

PSI is stored in the balls.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Both of those stories are incredible. Also the one where the nuclear battery got stolen from a lighthouse in russia, the thieves dropped it cause it's loving hot, then it proceeded to melt through sea ice to meet all the car batteries down there.
https://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/stolen-lighthouse-radiothermal-generator-recovered-gulf-finland/

quote:

Radon specialists, together the navy and police, raised the generator core to the surface using pitchforks and spades.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

When the Russians wanted a sample of the Elephant’s Foot from Chernobyl, they shot at it until a big enough chunk for their liking came off.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
makes sense in russia that your radon specialists, navy and police are all the same dudes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mozi posted:

There a prosthetic penises where squeezing a fake testicle erects them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Hang on, let’s take this to Europa, get through all that ice no problemo

naem
May 29, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Hang on, let’s take this to Europa, get through all that ice no problemo

nuclear stuff is a very practical way to, for example, melt water from the mars polar ice caps, we could then drop a dookie rocket into the puddle (as fertilizer) and then an algae rocket (to eat dookie/make oxygen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Mozi posted:

clownfarts.com