Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Two articles? That's all? Am I seeing that correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

for those of you wondering "who is saying this"

Lol, no

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Posting at the voices in my head.

Hand me a lance, I have windmills to murder.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Posting at the voices in my head.

Hand me a lance, I have windmills to murder.

<statement of a thing that happened historically>

remind me, I wonder, hmmm, who could that be, wasn't it, isn't that interesting, curious that

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1201940193235865605

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1201949082350080000

White House response basically "I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and...I like to kiss my own butt."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Two general topics each containing a number of individual wrongdoings assembled into a narrative. This is not the actual Articles of Impeachment that will be voted on by the full House and passed to the Senate, there are more steps and possibly more reports before those appear.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

cr0y posted:

These aren't the articles, those will come from the judiciary committee, these are just the general charges being levied: Donald Trump attempted to buy foreign electoral interference with military aid, and then obstructed justice to cover it up.

Edit: also the articles of impeachment will likely be only three articles - supposedly all the ignored subpoenas, for example, will get grouped together under Obstruction.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 3, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I don't know what argument you think you're having, but it isn't what's happening.

consider the dire threat of falling for whataboutism. think about what falling for whataboutism looks like, and how, if at all, it differs from someone convincing you an issue is higher priority than the one you're currently focused on.

the attack "whataboutism" serves, exclusively, to characterize the attempt to bring up other concerns as an inherently suspect action.

bad faith attempts to mislead exist. and should be watched for. the John Birch Society, and its warnings of communist agent Martin Luther King, are an example to remind you that one of those bad faith efforts to mislead takes the form of "if you listen to this you're just doing what the Russians want you to do."

whataboutism is a thought terminating cliche and should be treated as such.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ah ok thanks the above goons who clarified how this works for me.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

The only whataboutism I'm concerned with is what about all these badposts about whataboutism when the House Intelligence Committee report just dropped and appears to basically be Trumpcrimes.docx

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But what about deeze nuts in your mouth?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/1201834956160413697?s=20

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah yeah Popehat I know but for the three ppl here he hasn't blocked here's what happened re: Duncan Hunter's guilty plea:

https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1201943744586506240?s=21

tl;dr: Gov't is cutting him a reeeeal sweet deal but prison time's still likely.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

consider the dire threat of falling for whataboutism. think about what falling for whataboutism looks like, and how, if at all, it differs from someone convincing you an issue is higher priority than the one you're currently focused on.

the attack "whataboutism" serves, exclusively, to characterize the attempt to bring up other concerns as an inherently suspect action.

bad faith attempts to mislead exist. and should be watched for. the John Birch Society, and its warnings of communist agent Martin Luther King, are an example to remind you that one of those bad faith efforts to mislead takes the form of "if you listen to this you're just doing what the Russians want you to do."

whataboutism is a thought terminating cliche and should be treated as such.

I really want you to know that I didn't read this, but that whataboutism is not simply "a thing is bad", but rather using it in response to a specific criticism in order to deflect from that criticism.

For instance, the fact that your posts are very bad should not detract from the fact that my posts are very bad.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1201911233852723201

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1201948934031265793

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1201856329691914246

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1197334345717100545

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

This conclusion is absolute nonsense. PM levels in the south (and Texas even) have continued to decline even as industrial activity (and truck traffic) has picked up. The only increases are in the west, predominately in California, where the state leads 99% of enforcement efforts. Almost all EPA enforcement under the CAA are major incident related, criminal charges (e.g. single site dumping) or administrative. The driver for this increase is 99% due to wildfires. Wildfires are absolutely influenced by climate change, but that's hardly a Trump specific development. Trump is awful and the changes at EPA are not good, but these two things (PM levels and EPA funding) have exactly jack poo poo to do with each other over any couple of years timeframe

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

oxsnard posted:

This conclusion is absolute nonsense. PM levels in the south (and Texas even) have continued to decline even as industrial activity (and truck traffic) has picked up. The only increases are in the west, predominately in California, where the state leads 99% of enforcement efforts. Almost all EPA enforcement under the CAA are major incident related, criminal charges (e.g. single site dumping) or administrative. The driver for this increase is 99% due to wildfires. Wildfires are absolutely influenced by climate change, but that's hardly a Trump specific development. Trump is awful and the changes at EPA are not good, but these two things (PM levels and EPA funding) have exactly jack poo poo to do with each other over any couple of years timeframe

That would explain this tweet from him an hour later:

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/1201836081550893057?s=20

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah yeah Popehat I know but for the three ppl here he hasn't blocked here's what happened re: Duncan Hunter's guilty plea:

https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1201943744586506240?s=21

tl;dr: Gov't is cutting him a reeeeal sweet deal but prison time's still likely.

Somehow I don't think putting the guy who committed crimes to buy more videogames is exactly going to feel punished by home detention for half of a sentence that might not even last a year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why did they need to “cut a deal” for a guy who didn’t bother hiding any of his crimes?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fallom posted:

Why did they need to “cut a deal” for a guy who didn’t bother hiding any of his crimes?
He rich.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

That would explain this tweet from him an hour later:

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/1201836081550893057?s=20

yeah, I mean, I'm not excusing the Trump admin by any stretch but any "expert" who claims that enforcement actions by EPA can cause drastic changes in actual emissions levels like this has zero idea of how the clean air act is designed, implemented or enforced.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Because he's rich and white. Oh and a Veteran. so clearly he's a good boy. So we'll accept his one guilty count of misusing campaign funds, throw out the other 59 or so of other crimes, and he'll have learned his lesson! :rolleyes:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cutting a deal keeps him from fighting this. God knows how many other steam related crimes he committed.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Lightning Knight posted:

In this context it’s especially dangerous because we’ve made promises to countries to protect them that we cannot and should not keep, nor should we have ever made those promises to begin with. NATO is, in many respects, the greatest bluff in human history, but what happens when it’s called?

So, I'm just going to point out here that the only time this bluff had been called and Article 5 was invoked was for Afghanistan in the wake of 9/11.

Mutual defense is just that, mutual. It isn't a completely one-sided arrangement and it never has been despite what people have said about it. NATO has been, mainly, a deterrent. Secondary, it allows allies in those partner nations to train and support their own defense forces to allow for greater autonomy, and it has worked well in those roles. It is meant to be a method for stability because wars, in general, suck.

NATO is not perfect. Even in the best of times there are issues to be addressed about shared costs and the values of certain nations (looking at you Turkey) contrasting with the stated mission. But the current trend away from it weakens our partners and advances the cause of one of our direct competitors at their expense, and that isn't even factoring in the nuclear weapon angle.

Even from the 'cynical self-enrichment' side, the fact that western European states could count on shared defense meant closer cooperation and greater access to trade which brought in profits hand over fist. NATO paid back what was put in my providing a stable market to feed a capatalist engine and directly stood against 'the godless reds' to further entrench American power and position. It was clearly a net gain in both money and power.

We made those promises based on the ideal that another war in Europe would be catastrophic, and later grew to seeing the expansion and fostering of autonomy in nations as the Soviet Union fell. It has paid us back several times over in trade alone, and has led to nations like Estonia, Poland, the Baltic States and the former Yugoslav states to stand on their own rights. Even Russia benefitted from NATO under the 1994 peace pact, which only ended with the Ukraine annexation in 2014.

So, yeah, gonna call this entire argument right here bullshit.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 3, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He wasn’t actually rich, but being white and having powerful friends is good enough I guess.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Angry_Ed posted:

Because he's rich and white. Oh and a Veteran. so clearly he's a good boy. So we'll accept his one guilty count of misusing campaign funds, throw out the other 59 or so of other crimes, and he'll have learned his lesson! :rolleyes:
An otherwise blameless life.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fallom posted:

His crimes don't matter to anyone that cares to enforce them

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Totally normal person to have asking questions to witnesses. Absolutely impartial.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Not even close. Though I'm sure he'll get there on the griftwagen as soon as he's able.

He is rich-adjacent, however.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Now they're running local tv ads encouraging people to call their local congressmen to vote against impeachment. loving hell.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BobCusack/status/1201948246366707720
https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1201964216137256961

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 3, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
What in the world does Trump think he's still going to find in her emails

The state department has all the relevant ones

edit: one of the most shocking things to me is finding out that Trump really thinks Hillary's E-mails are important and filled with secrets, I had always assumed he knew he was just making political hay over nothing, but he is STILL LOOKING FOR THEM

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 3, 2019

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lmao at "yeah sure Steve King's district is just barely tilts R, that sounds right"

Steve King barely won last November, 50-47. JD Sholten is a strong Dem candidate for that area and has an excellent chance of defeating King this time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

predicto posted:

Steve King barely won last November, 50-47. JD Sholten is a strong Dem candidate for that area and has an excellent chance of defeating King this time.

Yeah king is dead in the water. Since he was kicked off his committees he's really lost any reason to vote for him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

edit: one of the most shocking things to me is finding out that Trump really thinks Hillary's E-mails are important and filled with secrets, I had always assumed he knew he was just making political hay over nothing, but he is STILL LOOKING FOR THEM

You forgot the enduring foundational principle of the Trump administration, He Really Is That Dumb

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

Fwd: Vince Foster’s Body
Re: Cattle Future Cover-Up
Re: get intern to fetch Starbucks coffee for me

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah king is dead in the water. Since he was kicked off his committees he's really lost any reason to vote for him.

Oh lets be honest, there are a lot of people that have some other real reasons to vote for him

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

That feels less about actually finding something and more just punishing career people for disloyalty with meaningless and tedious bullshit to force them out.

e: he wasn't making them search her emails, just process FOIA requests, of which there are probably tens if not hundreds of thousands, from right wing cranks and your grandparents etc

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 3, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

You forgot the enduring foundational principle of the Trump administration, He Really Is That Dumb
Yeah, you're not wrong. It's just...he's still obsessed with them, and for what? Even if:

1. Hillary actually deleted a bunch of E-mails to hide them, not simply as a matter of course
2. None of the recipients had those secret e-mails and had shared them
3. Finding them revealed a pattern of treachery by HRC where she secretly did all the evil things the right wing thinks she did

....what does that do for him now? She's not going to be the candidate! The information is 3 years out of date from helping him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong. It's just...he's still obsessed with them, and for what? Even if:

1. Hillary actually deleted a bunch of E-mails to hide them, not simply as a matter of course
2. None of the recipients had those secret e-mails and had shared them
3. Finding them revealed a pattern of treachery by HRC where she secretly did all the evil things the right wing thinks she did

....what does that do for him now? She's not going to be the candidate! The information is 3 years out of date from helping him!
He probably Actually Believes that he's going to find proof that Ukraine meddled in the 2016 election and this will vindicate everything he did that he's getting impeached for.