Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

With Curie as your main follower it makes sense to join the Railroad. And sure, take up Deegan's contract.

(Update on previous page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Join the Railroad, they seem like cool people. And Work with Deegan, he has a very cool hat so he's probably a cool dude too.

Chamale posted:

Curie has another chat about emotions. Nate keeps flirting because it's free XP and he's literally too charismatic to fail.

In my current game, Curie decided the best time to have this conversation was in the middle of a mutant infested ruined skyscraper. So obviously, mutants kept barging in and interrupting the conversation. But this did not actually take her out of dialogue mode, so I was literally just listening to her and casually turning to gun down charging mutants in between replies. It was funny as poo poo.

"My control of feelings is worse than before. And you, you are no help. With your teasing of poor little Curie."

"Yeah, b- DIIE HUMAAAN *gunfire* EYAAARGH - Yeah, but you're so cute when you're flustered."

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 22, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
It seems this season was the perfect time for us to introduce the Railroad, for the public is going crazy over synths, especially as result of how popular Curie's become! Writers questioned if they might need to do a mid-season rewrite, (what a dreadful thing that does to production time,) so they left more than a few openings to drive the plot elsewhere. As the saying goes: "it's better to have a plan and not need it, than need a plan and not have it!"

Regardless, it won't be necessary as it's a clear choice for our director to let Nate join up with the Railroad, earning their trust along the way, starting by helping Deegan first and then seeing what they need. He's been penned in for a few episodes, and we'd all be disappointed if we have to put him back in a role as an extra.

I mean, Nate's running around with his synth buddy, possibly girlfriend, so why not join?

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 22, 2019

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nate tells the Railroad he's happy to join, but not at the moment. He has another job to attend.

Cabot House is pristine and remarkably well-defended.

The eccentric Jack Cabot asks Nate if he believes in alien life. Unfortunately, there's no option to say "I've personally seen a crashed flying saucer piloted by an alien. Curie is carrying the extraterrestrial sidearm." Cabot says that he believes human civilization was founded by aliens, which Curie dismisses as unscientific nonsense.

Now that Cabot has met Nate, Deegan can explain the job: Finding a package that went missing near the Cabots' base at Parsons Insane Asylum. The asylum is in northeast Boston. Nate and Curie are strong enough to walk there in a straight line, fighting almost anything in their path, only needing to avoid robots and Super Mutant fortresses. Nate also bought the strong Black Ops Shinguard for Curie, increasing her damage resistance while maintaining the 10% sprinting bonus.

This poor brahmin looked like a yao guai in the darkness, so Nate blew it away.

A short distance away, he encountered an actual yao guai and shot that, too.

He passes by a friendly settlement full of ghouls with a thriving tarberry bog.

Near the asylum they encounter a deathclaw, which is quickly gunned down.

The mercenaries guarding this facility are remarkably well equipped, with non-legendary versions of Nate and Curie's combat armour. The small group of raiders who stole the package are holed up nearby. When Nate asks why Maria didn't lead an attack against them herself, she says that's not her job.

Curie single-handedly clears the raiders out of their barn.

This is the stolen package: A mysterious serum that provides an enormous buff to strength while providing an hour's worth of radiation healing. With this, Nate will finally be able to cross the Glowing Sea!

A Mr. Gutsy on the way back to Cabot House made the mistake of taking cover near a prewar car.

Nate encounters a settlement desperate for help from the Minutemen - raiders kidnapped a local boy and demand 200 caps for his freedom. Nate simply pays the random as a quick way to gain another allied settlement.

When Nate and Curie return to Cabot House, there is a frantic discussion about Jack's little sister going missing.

Nate lies about finding the serum so he can keep it for himself. His next job is to find the missing Emogene Cabot.

Level 31 perk: Rifleman 4 (Level 31, Perception 2)
This perk provides a good chance of crippling limbs with the shotgun, in addition to the 20% damage boost.

The jazz singer in Goodneighbor knows that Emogene ran off with Brother Thomas, an annoying preacher.

It turns out Thomas has gotten tired of his relationship with Emogene, who doesn't want to hand over all her worldly possessions to his cult. Nate convinces him to peacefully let her leave.

Jack's baby sister appears to be an old woman. She explains that the family has a serum that prevents aging, and as soon as she gets her next dose she'll be her 32-year-old self again. They've been Boston's high society since before the war.

When Nate returns to the Cabots, they're picking up an urgent distress call. Parsons is under attack by a large group of raiders.

Jack optimistically runs into battle with only his lab coat and a laser pistol.

He is an even bolder fighter than Nate, and picks fights with every robot and deathclaw on the way to the asylum.

Even the explosion of a legendary Mister Gutsy doesn't bring him down. Jack explains how his father went mad after finding an ancient helmet in Arabia, which fused with his brain - now Lorenzo Cabot's blood is the mysterious serum that makes his family members unaging and incredibly tough.

An assaultron fires its instant-death laser at Jack, which only brings him down for a moment. Now Nate has two virtually immortal fighters with him, so he's happy to hang back and let them win these battles.

The outside of the asylum is littered with bodies, a dozen raider corpses and two dead mercenaries testifying to the skill of the Cabot guards.

Edward Deegan has been gut shot, and tells Jack that he did everything he could to stop the raiders from reaching the basement.

As Nate, Curie, and Jack fight their way to the basement, they encounter berserk raiders wielding deathclaw gauntlets and sledgehammers. They are very tough, thanks to the serum, but Nate is the master of close-range fighting.

Level 32 perk: Bloody Mess (Level 31, 3 Luck)

Curie is brought down by a large swarm of raiders attacking the lobby.

Nate is almost killed by a pair of high-level raiders with assault rifles.

With slim cover, and no chance of reaching better protection, he blows them both away with Justice.

A legendary raider carried an exciting weapon: This irradiated combat shotgun will kill any human with three close-range shots. Every pellet from the gun will reduce the enemy's max HP by 5%, and every shot contains 7 pellets. Unfortunately, Synths, Super Mutants, ghouls, and robots all resist radiation.

With Curie healed up, she continues to lead the way in the fighting. Nate tests the irradiated shotgun on a legendary raider and confirms it can kill him in three shots - and unlike normal damage, enemies have no way of healing radiation.

When they arrive in the basement, the mad Cabot patriarch greets his son. Jack hacks into the security terminals to let Nate and Curie into the room where Lorenzo is held captive.

Lorenzo is encouraging the raiders to free him and take the mysterious serum for themselves.

A grenade, and some shotgun fire at close range, dispatches the raiders in the room. Their leader was carrying four more vials of the Serum, which will be more than enough to get Nate safely through the Glowing Sea a few times.

With the asylum's defences shattered, Jack urges Nate to flip the switches and kill Lorenzo while he is still imprisoned in the asylum - if he gets out, he can't be stopped.

Lorenzo urges Nate to free him instead, saying that he deserves revenge after almost 400 years of imprisonment.

Should Nate free Lorenzo or let Jack kill him?

Nate has collected every important perk for his build. He could spend 5 perk points to carry more supplies and take less damage while standing still, or spend 5 perk points to become immune to traps and landmines, or spent 4 perk points to heal 4 times faster with stimpaks. Should he prioritize Strength, Agility, or Healing?

Now that he has the Serum, should Nate find Virgil in the Glowing Sea, kill for Hancock, gain allied settlements, or work to join the Railroad?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Freedom frenzy!
Free Lorenzo
Work for the Railroad
Freedom from traps and landmines!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Kill Lorenzo, we don't need an immortal super powered crazy guy running around. Even if he likes Nate.
Join the Railroad they seem the least like dicks.
Landmines and traps Seems to me that standing still is most likely a death sentence, and you already heal decently quickly with stimpacks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Lorenzo is from the 19th century school of science, i.e. if you let him out, he will murder random peaceful ghoul settlers in order to study their condition. Irradiate the jerk and steal his fancy suit.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 23, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

RudeCat posted:

Freedom frenzy!
Free Lorenzo
Work for the Railroad
Freedom from traps and landmines!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
kill Lorenzo. That ain't science.
Healing.
gain settlements

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Free Lorenzo- or at least, the intelligence saying it's Lorenzo :tinfoil:
Prioritize healing
Gain settlements (prioritize shops so we can restock easier)

Seriously, with the first two we can become immortal both in terms of story and mechanics!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

kill
Settlements
Healing

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kill this lazy piece of writing
Healing
Settlements

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Free Lorenzo
Healing
Settlements

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lorenzo talks a big game, but even he is not immune to a massive dose of zeta radiation. Curie is dismayed by the decision to kill someone they've only just met, who wasn't technically an active threat.

However, after Nate consoles Jack over the loss of his 400-year-old eldritch father, Curie agrees it was the right decision.

Curie is thrilled to tell Nate that she's had a breakthrough, discovering a better way to heal people in combat. Now, if Nate's HP drops below 10%, he will instantly heal 100 hit points, about 20%, once a day. (I have the unofficial Fallout 4 patch, so this perk work as intended. Bethesda still hasn't patched the bug where none of the perks related to Synth Curie ever work)

Nate and Curie confess their love for each other. Now Nate will gain an extra 10% XP for a few hours after every time he sleeps with Curie, not that he needs sleep with an adequate supply of cola.

The next job is finding more allied settlements for the Minutemen. Here's a nice little farm...

Oops, all Super Mutants! Curie quickly dispatches them as Nate simply makes sure no Mutant Hounds can bite him. They find the murdered farmers stuffed in a bathroom, and after a lot of searching, give up on turning the place into a settlement. (I had to look it up - this is the ONLY farm in the game that cannot become a settlement)

Level 33 perk: +1 Intelligence (Now 2)
Healing narrowly won the vote.

On the way to clear that settlement location Preston mentioned long ago, Nate saves a settler who is under attack by many glowing mole rats.

Then he spots a Super Mutant raiding party coming towards them, and seeing that they have a Suicider, he throws a grenade and runs away.

The random settler manages to hit the Suicider's mini nuke and blow it up, taking out another one of the Mutants in the blast. Seeing this, Nate rushes to rejoin the fight and save the heroic settler.

Starlight Drive-in is in the starting area of the game, so it's light on danger with just a few basic mole rats that have to be cleared out. One more settlement for the Minutemen, putting them at 6 total.

Abernathy Farm near Sanctuary tells the sad story of how their daughter was killed for defying some marauding raiders. They ask Nate and Curie to retrieve a stolen heirloom from the raider camp.

Again, the raiders are in the starting area, so it's an easy fight. Even their leader is a lightweight who only commands a gang because she happens to own a minigun - she dies in one shotgun blast.

The Brotherhood has vertibirds over this area, and Nate watches one of them kill some raiders without getting shot down for once.

The Abernathys are happy to regain their daughter's favourite locket, and agree to support the Minutemen. While leaving the farmstead, Nate hear the popping of a pipe pistol. One of the settlers must be fighting a bloatfly or a radroach -

Or a deathclaw? So much for being in the easiest part of the Commonwealth.

Fortunately, Nate can kill deathclaws easily without danger, as long as he doesn't get caught by surprise. He runs up and shoots it before it can make a mess of the settlement.

Unlike deathclaws, legendary humans can potentially kill Nate in a fair fight. When he sees this legendary gunner pinned by a yao guai, he lets nature take its course.

The commonwealth feels like a much smaller place with bonus sprint speed and extremely high endurance. Nate does a lot of running from Point A to Point B, only stopping to blast creatures for the loot and XP.

The people at Oberland Station are grateful that Nate killed the raiders they were worried about, and they too will support the Minutemen. This should be enough settlements to stop Garvey from refusing to help Nate.

Next up, should Nate work on finding the rogue Institute scientist, the Railroad mission, or mercenary work for Hancock?

CommissarMega posted:

Gain settlements (prioritize shops so we can restock easier)

Shops?! That sounds like crafting to me! Restocking hasn't been much of a problem now that Nate can easily afford to buy all the shotgun shells and frag grenades at every merchant he meets.

I'll be going away until December 3rd so there won't be any updates until then. To keep the thread busy until then, let me just say that although Fallout: New Vegas had better writing than Fallout 3, Fallout 3 had a much better world design and far more interesting places to explore. Fallout 4's realtime conversations and improved combat are huge steps forward for the series.

Discuss.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think vertibirds crash appropriately often, going by American helicopter performance in desert theaters. The first time you even see a vertibird in the series, it was a wreck.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Chamale posted:

I'll be going away until December 3rd so there won't be any updates until then. To keep the thread busy until then, let me just say that although Fallout: New Vegas had better writing than Fallout 3, Fallout 3 had a much better world design and far more interesting places to explore. Fallout 4's realtime conversations and improved combat are huge steps forward for the series.

Discuss.

It is unfortunate news that we bring today: Radsmoke's next season will be delayed for quite some time. Everyone on set needs some time away for a bit, and Nate and Curie's relationship might be going beyond the show itself.

*A phone rings.*

...We'll be showing re-runs of our earliest episodes in the meantime-

*The phone starts ringing again*

Hold on, let me get this. This may be important...

*In a hushed voice, trying not to let anyone hear what's being said across the phone, but failing. * Johnson, this is the wrong time to be calling. No, they don't need to know about the scandal where the director opened up a figurative mini-nuke by bringing up contentious topics- what, no- Johnson, when have we ever been transparent about anything that's happened?! Listen, I don't have time for this right now, we'll talk later over some scotch or something.

Ahem, that seems it was just a prank call. Anyways, folks, we'll join you again next time on Radsmoke, when Nate returns to the Railroad.

---

Uh, I only ever played New Vegas. It was neat enough, but I found the balancing to be kinda odd. I watched my brother play it more than I actually played it myself. I tend to find that I don't get much enjoyment from playing Bethesda games, and more from watching them. Same goes for Dishonored, and it was only published by Bethesda. I don't really have an opinion on the other games aside from "Bethesda is dumb" and that the western aesthetic was a bit more likable to me than just plain sci-fi wasteland.

Heck, games and RPG mechanics with guns don't usually gel well with me. I played Borderlands 1 and 2, but I was only able to get through them playing the characters focused on melee. I don't know why, but it just doesn't usually hook me in well.

E: I wonder if we could have a discussion on the Fallout games without it turning into a massive argument like they usually do. It took one mention of Vegas in the FO3 thread to create a brief downwards spiral that required attention from mods.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 23, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I never played F4 but I like the updates to the engine and I'm waiting for that NV total conversion mod for years now.
They'll probably won't get it done before Bethesda abandons F76 and produces an actual game.

vvvv: You're Goddamn right.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 23, 2019

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I think Bethesda makes good shallow sandboxes to play in which then modders or other studios can add depth to. They’ve been doing that since Daggerfall, so I’m don’t see anything changing much on that front.

FONV is best with the JSawyer mod, or the director’s cut, if you will. :colbert: rope kid 4 lyfe

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Railroad time I guess.

FO76 will hopefully be a big enough failure that it will put a stop to Bethesda's poo poo and this live service craze.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Chamale posted:

Discuss.

If by "world design" you mean "okay theme park with a bunch of individually cool little set pieces that don't make a lick of sense as a whole if you think about them", then yeah I guess. But even then New Vegas had plenty of cool places to discover, with the added bonus of the world actually feeling somewhat like a cohesive whole and being a lot more immersive as a result. I honestly can't think of a single thing I'd feel NV didn't do better than 3.

As for Fallout 4, well...
Story-wise it's still pretty bad; it's actually sort of funny how Bethesda manages to kiss the player's rear end so much while still giving them so little actual agency. The storytelling is still an improvement over FO3 though, thanks to how the different dialogue system just makes it flow better, and there's a fair few cool characters along for the ride too.
And the main thing is, it's my most played game of the series for a reason, and that reason is that it's easily the best sandbox Bethesda have made so far. The action is a lot more satisfying, the environment is a lot more interesting and there's just so much cool stuff to play with. It may not have won my heart like New Vegas did, but it sure as poo poo keeps me entertained.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Obsidian made New Vegas...NOT Bethesda, it annoys me every time somebody makes that mistake, and frankly Obsidian did a far better job at it in comparison to their employer's "effort".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TheNamedSavior posted:

Obsidian made New Vegas...NOT Bethesda, it annoys me every time somebody makes that mistake, and frankly Obsidian did a far better job at it in comparison to their employer's "effort".

I am perfectly aware and I don't think anyone here has said otherwise, either.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I know you’re not going to do any of the character gun and armor modding, but is removing mods and putting them on other guns and armor verboten, too? It takes 0 character investment.

E: forgot that grabbing mods from weapons involves crafting lovely base components to replace them

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 24, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Nordick posted:

I am perfectly aware and I don't think anyone here has said otherwise, either.

Might've been aimed at me, but I also knew it was an Obsidian game. I was just making a comment about any game with Bethesda's name on it or related to it- they just happen to inevitably not be that fun for me to play. New Vegas was probably the most fun to watch, but that's skewed because I was there firsthand for it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm back!

Nate heads off to work for the Railroad. Since Nora did this quest recently, I remember a lot about the quest so I'll try to approach it differently. This time, Nate respectfully passes by the raider mourning at a fresh grave and he doesn't wind up dead.

Deacon is waiting in his wastelander-no-one-cares-about disguise.

Railsigns are all blatantly obvious. I suppose the key is that it's not obvious the Railroad is leaving them.

This scout explains how the Synths who took over the old Railroad HQ have heavily fortified the front entrance. Deacon says there's a back way that the Synths won't know about.

Nonetheless, Nate decides to go for the frontal assault. Curie is easily able to handle those Synths, and the frag mines littering the area are probably not instant death anymore.

An exploding car shot by a Synth would be instant death, but Nate escapes the blast radius in time.

Curie doesn't just kill the Synths, her explosive bullets tear them to pieces.

After the long fight to reach the front entrance, Deacon discovers that it's been deactivated, so they'll have to go through the back door anyway. What a kick in the dick.

The Synths here are all basic Gen 1 or Gen 2s, so they're barely even capable of hurting Nate and stand no chance against Curie.

A cryo mine gives everyone a nice icy coating, but doesn't deal any damage. Deacon recovers the Railroad's important prototype and gives Nate a unique pistol. Ka-ching!

Nate hasn't visited a merchant in a while, so he goes to Diamond City to sell off an enormous supply of loot, while restocking ammunition and plasma grenades.

A while ago, Nate killed a legendary bloatfly but couldn't find its corpse. He finds it now on the way back to Railroad HQ, and it carried this never-ending combat shotgun. It's a decent weapon but weaker than Justice. It's so close to the best possible weapon in the game, the never-ending double-barrelled shotgun, which shoots as fast as Nate can pull the trigger. By binding the mousewheel to the fire button, a player can easily shoot 20 rounds per second and melt any enemy instantly. Anyway...

Deacon tells a mildly exaggerated version of the routine raid on the old HQ. Nate goes along with the lie, which Curie doesn't like.

We're officially part of the Railroad! Nate can now choose a codename.

What will Nate's Railroad name be? The options are Professor, Fixer, Bullseye, Whisper, Charmer, or Wanderer.

Keeping in mind that I'm playing this character as a bachelor with no particular family ties, the looming mystery of the Institute seems like enough of a motivation for a good mercenary to want to find them. Nate is strong enough now to try and complete the main quest without dying. Should he progress the story, or keep doing sidequests?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Report on _______, year of ______ by _____, Private Investigator.

*In the late afternoon, the sun begins it's slow descent over the horizon at _____'s National Golf Course. A lone man stands silhouetted on a hill, casting a long shadow across the neatly trimmed turf behind him. Setting his club to his side, he lights a pipe.

A golf cart slowly trundles its way along towards the man. Stopping at the base of the hill, a more slender figure gets out of the cart's driver side. The person, presumably ___, shows little disability in walking up it, even in heels.

She stops next to the man, presumed to be ____________, upon where this conversation occured:

She: "Sir, the reports of our latest episode has just arrived."
He: "What, what latest episode? We've been dark for months now! There is no latest episode, please stop calling-"
She: "Sir, I'm not a caller. We had this penned in since the hiatus. Penned, not penciled."
He: "..."
She: "Sir, we need you to give the report."
He: "..."

*At this point, the female figure looks away from the man and stands beside him, looking at the sunset.*

She: "Isn't it a nice sunset?"
He: "Yes, yes we spent quite a lot on it... but it's in the way of my shot."
She: "Sir, are you feeling all right?"
He: "No, there wasn't any controversy. I swear you information grubbers have no sense of privacy!"
She: "________, is everything okay?"
He: "Ah! My caddy, I've been waiting for you. Should I use the wood 2 or should I try to iron this one in?"

*At this point the woman takes the club, presumably a driver, from the man and hits the ball rather quickly. It flies far, the ball flitting like a bat against what can be seen.*

She: "______, is everything fine? You've been absent from communication-"
He: "Hm, maybe I need to fix my stance. That swing hooked a bit too much for my tastes."

*He absentmindedly takes the club from her and saunters down the hill, out of sight. The woman simply stands there for a time before walking back to the cart, muttering. Only a small portion of her sayings were audible.*

She: "Fine, we'll just have to let the board have control. "Charmer" and side-stories it is then. I'll just have to get the next report done myself."

END OF REPORT

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fixer, sidequests!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Bullseye, sidequests.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Charmer
Sidequests

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Fun fact, the poisoned wine in the boylston club is coded to only deal damage to npcs that aren't the sole survivor. Npcs that aren't the sole survivor won't pick it up and drink it. it's also way more valuable than a standard bottle of wine. So yeah, poisoned wine is better than unpoisoned wine. Go figure.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Aishlinn posted:

Fun fact, the poisoned wine in the boylston club is coded to only deal damage to npcs that aren't the sole survivor. Npcs that aren't the sole survivor won't pick it up and drink it. it's also way more valuable than a standard bottle of wine. So yeah, poisoned wine is better than unpoisoned wine. Go figure.

Maybe the wine was poisoned with everclear? 180 proof will do a number on ya

Malah
May 18, 2015

Bullseye, side quests. Doing random stuff means more opportunities for novel shenanigans thanks to the RNG machine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Let's go with Charmer for callsign, and while I seem to be the one voting this way, let's advance the plot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Charmer would be the most character appropriate callsign.

And as someone whose current character was level 101 by the time I finally went to [redacted], as a formality I will also vote to not be like me, advance the main plot

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Desdemona appreciates Nate's choice of codename.

Dr. Carrington is initially hostile to Charmer, but the new recruit wins him over. Carrington sends him to a dead drop near Bunker Hill.

Also near Bunker Hill: The USS Constitution, rigged to fly, filled with military robots, and crashed on top of a bank.

The lookout knows from prewar records that Nate was part of the military, and says the captain would like to see him.

The dead drop leads to Old Man Stockton, who has no idea that Charmer was there when his Synth "daughter" died. They discuss the mission in coded language.

Curie has no idea what speaking obliquely means, so she's baffled by their conversation about escorting a recently escaped Synth to safety. Stockton wants to meet after nightfall, and it's 7:00 am, so Charmer will have to find other ways to spend his time.

This Legendary Glowing One is trapped on some flotsam in the river, and dies easily to some laser rifle fire.

The Charles View Amphitheatre is still occupied by dead-eyed cultists who've handed over all their possessions to join Brother Thomas.

No one notices when Nate walks into the backroom to steal all the watches and caps.

There is a full-grown yao guai in the Boston ruins. Nate kills it with a single shotgun blast.

Nate finds another scene of massacred raiders, with Pickman's enigmatic calling card.

Daisy in Goodneighbor is sentimental about the Boston Public Library. She asks Nate to clear out the Super Mutants, and return her prewar library book.

Nate and Curie sleep in the Hotel Rexford and have some human-Synth sex, which gives Nate a bonus 15% XP in addition to the other sleep bonuses.

With more time to kill, Nate goes to clear out those Triggermen that Hancock wants dead.

At this level, Triggermen are almost no threat. They fight with pistols or submachine guns, and wear suits instead of armour.

In the second warehouse, they aren't immediately hostile. Curie doesn't approve of murder, so Nate talks to a couple of them so they'll notice he's trespassing and attack.

The third warehouse is as easy as the first two. Nate does some grenade throwing practice, then goes back to Charlie to collect his 400 caps.

Level 36 perk: Medic 2 (Level 18, 2 Intelligence)
Now Stimpaks will heal 60% of Nate's health, and three times faster than the basic 20% healing.

It's now nighttime, so Nate heads to the meeting place. It's occupied by raiders, including a legendary one, but they die easily. The leader carried an automatic laser shotgun, an intriguing weapon but much weaker than everything else Nate has.

The Brotherhood of Steel is also in the area, but they hardly pay attention to the activities of wastelanders so those Synth-haters can't stop the mission.

The Synth is not used to interacting with people as an equal, having just escaped Institute slavery.

An agent named High Rise appears to lead the Synth to a safehouse. Nate and Curie will provide the firepower.

Charmer takes out the one raider in their path with a well-placed grenade. The path to the safehouse might have been dangerous, but Nate and Curie (mostly Curie) already cleared it a while ago.

H2-22 and High Rise take the elevator up to the secret safehouse in an empty-looking high rise building. Charmer heads to Bunker Hill to drop off some loot.

Joe Savoldi asks if Nate can find the remains and any personal effects from his grandfather, a Minuteman.

Back at Railroad HQ, Carrington asks Nate to counterattack and reclaim the Augusta Safehouse, which was destroyed by unknown attackers.

Between the recent news, and some old rumours, there are quite a few quests to choose from now! What's next? Robots on a ship, a raider slayer at Pickman's Gallery, Super Mutants in the library, Grandpa Savoldi's body, prewar treasure in Jamaica Plain, something evil in the Museum of Witchcraft, deadly foes at Augusta Safehouse, or Virgil in the Glowing Sea. Feel free to vote for two sidequests since they're likely shorter than the main plot quest.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Let's go deal with robots on a ship and the Museum of Witchcraft.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I say we find Grandpa Savaldi's body and then go fight witches.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Let's party with the robots on the ship and then go fight witches.

That'a a sentence I just got to type. This game rules.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Malah posted:

Let's party with the robots on the ship and then go fight witches.

That'a a sentence I just got to type. This game rules.

Bethesda's good at smaller sequences like this; pity the main game's writing doesn't hold up. But yeah, the above is my vote too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

TRANSCRIPTION OF UNDATED RECORDING FOUND IN _________ OFFICES:
*A few seconds of silence*
"I-Is this really what Radsmoke has come to? Robots on a ship and witches? What crowd are we supposed to be appealing to with this?"

*A door can be heard opening. a thin voiced man speaks.*
"Ms. __________, what are you doing?"

"Doing the report logs. The director insisted on these before, and even if I don't care for them, I'm still doing them. The director would want it done."

"...How is he?"

"Still in a trance, it seems. The controversy is long over and it went by rather smoothly, but he's still not responding."

"Oh...should we call the psych ward-"

*A hand slams on the desk, presumably Ms. _______'s hand.*

"- You mention that again and you're booted. There's nothing wrong with him, he's just eccentric. Now, scram. Go home to your family. There's no reason for you to be here this late."

"Ms. _____, I object-"

"I said SCRAM!"

*A hurried fumbling and closing of the door can be heard. A few moments of silence follows, then she speaks again.*

"drat, I left this on. Whatever, I'll leave it in the recording- it doesn't matter. The board seems like they're trying to shut this place down with their decisions. Synth sex on what used to be a family show? The censors are already trying to take us down, and they would've if a certain someone hadn't intervened.
Sure, it was more violent than most, but what do you want for the drama? We've always had Nate try to talk through situations rather than shoot through them. It was realistic. Hmm..."

*What follows is a bump to the recorder and an unusually long period of silence. It seems as if it was intentionally muffled. After approximately 57 seconds of silence, a dull sound, presumably a gunshot can be heard. A few moments later Ms. _____ speaks again, but in a hushed tone.*

"That'll run them off for now- I'll have to get that door replaced. All it took was a month of the show going off the air for these leeches to show their hand. They're trying to take over and end the show for some purpose.

Funny, I never expected to end up in an actual crime scenario. Let's see if all that crime drama paid off."

-----END OF TRANSCRIPTION----

Yeah, I've no idea where this is going either. I just went with it.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 5, 2019