Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The big lantern puzzle in the Tomb of Miktrull stumped me for a long-rear end time and I ended up grabbing a lantern from a different area to solve it. When I saw someone else's playthrough arrive at the intended solution I just about slapped myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was brain fried with the Illum puzzle late at night. I Picked the game back up after a good night's sleep and it was baby easy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The puzzle design overall in this game was great. There were only a handful of block pushing puzzles overall and the puzzles in general required some entertaining combos of Force Power usage which was usually either straight utilized for something else prior or made very clear simply by way of video game logic (aka I just got this power so clearly it is the solution to the follow up puzzle). I thought it expanded on itself pretty well.

Honestly? The biggest flaw of this game is distracting you with Dathomir as early as they did... seems the people that went there first all had a worse takeaway overall, either with the double saber or just the pacing of stuff. I think they should have put that wall inscription for Dathomir inside Cordova's workshop after the first tomb, at the same time you get the double saber.

Basically, Bogano -> Zeffo + 1st Tomb -> Bogano and workshop -> Zeffo, Dathomir, or Kashyyyk, take your pick.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 3, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It feels like even having Dathomir as an option early was an ill conceived decision to make the game seem less linear. If you only go to Dathomir when you have to, the pacing is fine

They shouldn't have even tried to sell it as open in a souls way and embraced the more Zelda or Metroid market

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This game is no more linear than Dark Souls 3

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

skasion posted:

This game is no more linear than Dark Souls 3

Yeah, this. Other than Souls 1 (which also kinda had a "linear" path, though it allowed for a lot more sequence breaking), they've all been pretty linear.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, this. Other than Souls 1 (which also kinda had a "linear" path, though it allowed for a lot more sequence breaking), they've all been pretty linear.

DeS, 1 and 2 (and Sekiro if that counts) all allow you a decent amount of leeway. BB a bit less than that, DS3 still less.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Perestroika posted:

But enough complaining, one surprisingly fun part was of the game Trilla. Perhaps it's just because Cal is such a void of character, but I enjoyed every time she was on screen. She's just so into it! She walks around like a ludicrously grimdark and over-the-top stereotype, but she just owns that poo poo with such panache that I can't help but love it. It might have taken horrible torture and indoctrination, but this is the look of a lady who has found her thing and is loving it.

yeah i liked cal but trilla was great and she is just genuinely kinda tragic. on cal, he is less of a void and more of a Stephen universe black hole of wholesome niceness which works for alot of parts but it gets old sometimes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I reloaded my post-game save to poke around a bit and it looks like Merrin has a bunch of transition and planet dialogue that you probably miss because of how late in the game she joins the crew.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I kind of want to get my edge of the empire TTRPG guy (verpine outlaw tech) killed off so I can re-roll a nightsister after playing this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i liked cal but trilla was great and she is just genuinely kinda tragic. on cal, he is less of a void and more of a Stephen universe black hole of wholesome niceness which works for alot of parts but it gets old sometimes.

We, are the Jedi friends
We'll always save the day
And can, you think we not
We'll always find a way
That's why this galaxy far, far away, believes in
Merrin, Cere Junda, and Greez (and Kestis!)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I reloaded my post-game save to poke around a bit and it looks like Merrin has a bunch of transition and planet dialogue that you probably miss because of how late in the game she joins the crew.

Yeah there’s a lot. Especially between her and Greez.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whoever decided the name of the ship should be The Mantis instead of Greezy Money should have been fired.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I appreciated that the captain of the ship was K'arl from Nu Jerzee

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

precision posted:

I appreciated that the captain of the ship was K'arl from Nu Jerzee

Just say "Smith" or "Jones" or something. It doesn't matter. None of this matters.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I want a clone of this game but as an inqusitor murdering Jedi. Bd-1 can be reprogrammed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I want a clone of this game but as an inqusitor murdering Jedi. Bd-1 can be reprogrammed.

BD-E

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
First few levels of Force Unleashed likely the closest you're getting to that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bad Droid 1 :aaa:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Best Droid 1

Buddy 1

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BD-1

Be the one

Cute.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Love to live on a space farm with my pal bd-1 and my goth dream girl merrin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The greatest thing was how when Cal meets BD1 he goes "I'm looking for someone" and BD is all "boop beep!!!!" and he goes "haha no not you" but then several hours later it turns out he actually was :3:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I like how when he hacks inp droids BD hums the ROTJ battle theme.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am literally stunned that Yahtzee likes this game enough to recommend it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The game scratches a very specific Star Wars itch that hasn’t been scratched for a decade. Some people are going to be ecstatic about it because of that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The game scratches a very specific Star Wars itch that hasn’t been scratched for a decade. Some people are going to be ecstatic about it because of that

This. I think it's a good game despite it's flaws, but the fact that it's a solid, single-player SW campaign adds a good point or two to its score.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah if this game were the same in every possible way, but set in a completely new fantasy IP about a young disgraced squire haunted by the betrayal of the kingdom's footmen and the murder of the knight he served or whatever, it would probably be three stars instead of four.

But theme matters and people like a Star War.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Captain Hygiene posted:

This. I think it's a good game despite it's flaws, but the fact that it's a solid, single-player SW campaign adds a good point or two to its score.

Thankfully the major flaws for me AI wise didn't start cropping up till I was already near the end so the story outweighed any tarnish caused by stormtroopers forgetting I was there because I dodged backwards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They really cut down the aggro range way too fast on the difficulty scaling.

Also the tethering was weird

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bust Rodd posted:

I am literally stunned that Yahtzee likes this game enough to recommend it.

it's a good game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think goons sometimes lose sight of what other people think. To most people, this is a very good game and they don't even know how to spell Sekiro. When I stopped at gamestop to pick up a Christmas present yesterday there were like 10 people talking about how awesome this game is

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

precision posted:

I think goons sometimes lose sight of what other people think. To most people, this is a very good game and they don't even know how to spell Sekiro. When I stopped at gamestop to pick up a Christmas present yesterday there were like 10 people talking about how awesome this game is

Even if you've played Sekiro this is a good game.

Hot take: goons are obnoxiously negative about games and love to cry about how much value they're getting from what is actually a relatively cheap form of entertainment, comparatively.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game sucks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, I paid $7 to play this game for three days and I, while being an extremely online genre fiction turbonerd, am not so starved for content that I’m willing to overlook extremely dated mechanics and a piss boring storyline.

Like in the grand scheme of things I rate this game a strong 7/10, a C+. I think it’s a solid recommendation to Star Wars fans, it’s a great all ages action game, but the nuts and bolts are worn and threadbare.

I was just surprised because Yahtzee is 100% a non-violent immersion oriented Vidja Gamer so for him to say Death Stranding is bad and Fallen Order is good in the same month is just surprising, and it goes to show you that gameplay can have a bigger impact on your enjoyment than simply big budget content presented in a unique way.

Also it’s wild that we’ve heard all about how successful and popular this game is and yet Respawn hasn’t dropped a peep about DLC.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

This game sucks

And yet, you play this game....curious :smuggo:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Even with its jank, this game is extremely satisfying to play

I just wish there was a NG+ and Skip Cutscenes option

Also better saving, because it only saves to the Autosave, not the actual separate file save - you have two files, one 25% and one 50%, if you load up the 50% after playing the 25% for an hour, congrats, you just lost all that progress

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I thought they peeped pre release that there wouldn't be any dlc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ShineDog posted:

I thought they peeped pre release that there wouldn't be any dlc

Oh drat, I'll be sad if so, I basically ignored marketing and discussion ahead of time. Seems like a giant missed opportunity right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh drat, I'll be sad if so, I basically ignored marketing and discussion ahead of time. Seems like a giant missed opportunity right there.

further evidence that gamers are broke brained in tyool 2019