Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ddogflex posted:

I've been having spotty buetooth since getting the 11 pro max, I was assuming it was iOS 13 related, but I'm still getting it with literally 6 different bluetooth headphones I've tried, including Airpods Pro and Powerbeats Pro.

Any tips to fix this that I've missed? Or should I complain to Apple?

Complain to apple. I haven't had any problems since the first couple patches of ios 13. Using Ankers then and now Powerbeats Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I still get the lovely banding in my photos when HDR is on with the camera . This hasn’t been fixed yet and makes it look like I’m using some fisher price camera obscura to take photos

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
In iOS Messenger you can see who in a group chat has seen a message, which is helpful for knowing if word has gotten around yet during an event. But the icons are shown are less than ten pixels in radius. What the hell.

Each icon only shows a fraction of the group member's profile pic shrunk down too tiny to be recognizable as an object, especially since there's usually far more than just a face in a FB profile photo.

Clicking on the icons doesn't make them any bigger or reveal anyone's name in a tooltip. You're left wondering who is which icon. If it's a large group you're going to have to navigate away from the group chat to the members list (several menu steps away) over and over to try to memorize icons and identify each member. Isn't there some better way to see who among your group has "seen" a message yet? Like, their NAMES?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Partycat posted:

I still get the lovely banding in my photos when HDR is on with the camera . This hasn’t been fixed yet and makes it look like I’m using some fisher price camera obscura to take photos

Yeah this is a bit of a pain, especially now the hdr option isn’t in the camera app anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

In iOS Messenger you can see who in a group chat has seen a message, which is helpful for knowing if word has gotten around yet during an event. But the icons are shown are less than ten pixels in radius. What the hell.

Each icon only shows a fraction of the group member's profile pic shrunk down too tiny to be recognizable as an object, especially since there's usually far more than just a face in a FB profile photo.

Clicking on the icons doesn't make them any bigger or reveal anyone's name in a tooltip. You're left wondering who is which icon. If it's a large group you're going to have to navigate away from the group chat to the members list (several menu steps away) over and over to try to memorize icons and identify each member. Isn't there some better way to see who among your group has "seen" a message yet? Like, their NAMES?

Also! Speaking of group chats... if you click on the list of names in a group chat and you see the list of options (text, call, FT ect) you can't send them a loving text! Like the message button does nothing... like I wanna send someone a message on the side but it doesn't let you do that from the group chat.

Its super dumb.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TVs Ian posted:

I'd suggest trying a restore to see if it might be some kind of software issue (like a full cache or something weird). If that doesn't work, it's probably a failing camera and the phone will need to be repaired or replaced. I see the black camera screen all the time on older iPhones when the camera goes bad or gets damaged in a drop.

I haven't done a proper restore in a long time, I just backed up the iPhone in iTunes and when I went to restore it took about an hour and then said it couldn't restore due to an error. It looks like my original was on it, but unable to tell. Either way the camera didn't work. Should I erase all settings and restore that way? Can you do an itunes restore from fresh or do I have to do iCloud at that point? It's much quicker and it loads things that I loaded to certain apps through iTunes where iCloud won't (audiobooks/etc)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

TraderStav posted:

I haven't done a proper restore in a long time, I just backed up the iPhone in iTunes and when I went to restore it took about an hour and then said it couldn't restore due to an error. It looks like my original was on it, but unable to tell. Either way the camera didn't work. Should I erase all settings and restore that way? Can you do an itunes restore from fresh or do I have to do iCloud at that point? It's much quicker and it loads things that I loaded to certain apps through iTunes where iCloud won't (audiobooks/etc)

Best bet would be to put it in restore mode and try from there. If that fails, DFU mode.

Just be warned that if it fails and DFU mode doesn't bring it back, you may be left with a non-functional phone. Using the cable that came with it and trying another USB port might help in that case, but that also happens when the phone detects a hardware failure during the restore. Which would be something to do a warranty exchange for.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Best bet would be to put it in restore mode and try from there. If that fails, DFU mode.

Just be warned that if it fails and DFU mode doesn't bring it back, you may be left with a non-functional phone. Using the cable that came with it and trying another USB port might help in that case, but that also happens when the phone detects a hardware failure during the restore. Which would be something to do a warranty exchange for.

I made an appointment at DA FROOT STAND for tomorrow. Multiple reboots and too many voodoo solutions and still no back facing camera.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Speaking of restores, I have one app that I think only stores data locally in the app and not an iCloud backup or anything. Without a jail break (I’m on the latest iOS) is there a way to start from scratch but keep that data?

Restoring from iCloud backups hasn’t really fixed iOS 13 being a bit of a mess (safari freezing, reminders being screwy, etc) so I’m thinking a full flatten and reinstall might do *something*

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I made an appointment at DA FROOT STAND for tomorrow. Multiple reboots and too many voodoo solutions and still no back facing camera.

They ran a diagnostic and one of the rear camera sensors was bad. Get to wait an hour to replace the camera but at least this wasn’t like taking your car to the mechanic and no problems are reproduced!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

at least this wasn’t like taking your car to the mechanic and no problems are reproduced!

No they reserve that for battery issues. Every loving time I've taken a phone in due to a poo poo battery dying at 45% or going down 10% a minute, it's always "welp, diagnostics passed, sorry."

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No they reserve that for battery issues. Every loving time I've taken a phone in due to a poo poo battery dying at 45% or going down 10% a minute, it's always "welp, diagnostics passed, sorry."

I had a bluetooth issue where it wouldn't connect to any bluetooth devices but I couldn't replicate it. After going in 3 times they just replaced the whole phone and guess what, the issue went away.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

On one hand I’m happy as I don’t want to have to deal with dual sim issues and restoring from backup.

On the other hand, if they’re delayed I will be late to pick up my kid from soccer practice. They did say they were going to try to knock it out early for me though, nice folks tonight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
@ TraderStav my wife has a 11 Pro (as do I) and she definitely has camera issues as well. Rear camera, all black, sometimes spanning reboots. I’ll take hers in soon... thanks for posting your experience.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Feenix posted:

@ TraderStav my wife has a 11 Pro (as do I) and she definitely has camera issues as well. Rear camera, all black, sometimes spanning reboots. I’ll take hers in soon... thanks for posting your experience.

They said that they could do the troubleshooting from home if you call in, may be worth saving the trip. There's a feature that they cannot to a built-in diagnostic tool, was really cool to see.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Since I upgraded my iPhone 8 to iOS 13 I’ve had a bunch of apps freeze on opening them (so they hang on the splash screen) and the only way to resolve it seems to be rebooting my phone.

I’ve tried reinstalling some of them but it doesn’t really fix it. Are there any other options? Or should I just factory reset?

Has anyone else experienced this?

I did a factory restore the other night and everything was working well but just now the same apps are freezing exactly like they were before.

It’s pretty frustrating as having to turn my phone on and off all the time is pretty dumb.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone else experienced this?

I did a factory restore the other night and everything was working well but just now the same apps are freezing exactly like they were before.

It’s pretty frustrating as having to turn my phone on and off all the time is pretty dumb.

It well could be one of the apps that's causing it. Maybe submit the crash logs to Apple Support and see what you get?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

XBenedict posted:

It well could be one of the apps that's causing it. Maybe submit the crash logs to Apple Support and see what you get?

I suspect now that it is certain apps that haven’t been updated to iOS 13 as most of my apps are fine.

How do I get the crash log? They just close with no error.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have had that happen a few times on an iPhone 11. Viber and prime video are the worst offenders. I haven’t enjoyed how buggy iOS 13 is.

Edit: sorry maybe this is something different. Mine don’t close themselves, they just hang at the loading page and never load properly until I reboot the phone.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's with Music App playing a very limited subset of songs when shuffling a playlist? I've tried both the big Shuffle button, and scrolling through the songs and manually starting with one of the ignored songs. As soon as I initiate a shuffle, boom, I'll see those same three or four album covers flood the list because it isn't gonna play anything else.

Seems to be specific to Music App itself, because if I use an alternative media player I get what appears to be the full range of songs from the same playlist.

Again, I can scroll through the full list of songs in the playslist and play anything manually. The songs are all definitely there on my phone (locally, which I'd figure should be the least error-prone environment for this). It's just that like 80% of the songs get ignored when I shuffle (and in fact aren't even present in the Up Next queue if I check there and scroll all the way down).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to have sub-albums within Photos? I like to make an album of any holiday or event that warranted a bunch of photos, but it's all getting rather cluttered. It would be nice to have a "Holidays" folder wherein I can put photo albums for the indiviual trips.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a way to have sub-albums within Photos? I like to make an album of any holiday or event that warranted a bunch of photos, but it's all getting rather cluttered. It would be nice to have a "Holidays" folder wherein I can put photo albums for the indiviual trips.

Yes! Tap the Share icon for any given photo, and select Add to Album. It'll then give you the option to create & name a new album. Then, you can bulk select photos you want to add to it by tapping Select and either tapping the thumbnails individually, or tap/hold and dragging a finger through the thumbnails.

Edit: you can reverse those instructions and just bulk add a bunch of selected photos to a new album if you wish.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 5, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enojy posted:

Yes! Tap the Share icon for any given photo, and select Add to Album. It'll then give you the option to create & name a new album. Then, you can bulk select photos you want to add to it by tapping Select and either tapping the thumbnails individually, or tap/hold and dragging a finger through the thumbnails.

Edit: you can reverse those instructions and just bulk add a bunch of selected photos to a new album if you wish.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, isn't this just the normal way to create an album that gets put with all the other albums?

I'm trying to find a way to group related albums together in a kind of folder structure, e.g.:
Holidays
> Album 1
> Album 2
Concerts
> Album 1
> Album 2

etc. Cuz otherwise it's just a big unwieldy list of a bunch of albums and it can take a lot of scrolling to find the one you want.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Question Mark Mound posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, isn't this just the normal way to create an album that gets put with all the other albums?

I'm trying to find a way to group related albums together in a kind of folder structure, e.g.:
Holidays
> Album 1
> Album 2
Concerts
> Album 1
> Album 2

etc. Cuz otherwise it's just a big unwieldy list of a bunch of albums and it can take a lot of scrolling to find the one you want.

Oh, sorry, I understand what you mean now! I don't believe that's a supported structure in Photos, or at least, I can't figure out any way to group albums in iOS or macOS Photos app.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

What's with Music App playing a very limited subset of songs when shuffling a playlist? I've tried both the big Shuffle button, and scrolling through the songs and manually starting with one of the ignored songs. As soon as I initiate a shuffle, boom, I'll see those same three or four album covers flood the list because it isn't gonna play anything else.

Seems to be specific to Music App itself, because if I use an alternative media player I get what appears to be the full range of songs from the same playlist.

Again, I can scroll through the full list of songs in the playslist and play anything manually. The songs are all definitely there on my phone (locally, which I'd figure should be the least error-prone environment for this). It's just that like 80% of the songs get ignored when I shuffle (and in fact aren't even present in the Up Next queue if I check there and scroll all the way down).

Yeah the shuffle function sucks balls. It's such a bummer that Apple can't program an RNG correctly.

Radio stations always play the same songs as well. Like if I have a Motorhead station, it will only play poo poo off Ace of Spades. Drives me nuts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah the shuffle function sucks balls. It's such a bummer that Apple can't program an RNG correctly.

Radio stations always play the same songs as well. Like if I have a Motorhead station, it will only play poo poo off Ace of Spades. Drives me nuts.

They specifically didn't code an RNG.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I suspect now that it is certain apps that haven’t been updated to iOS 13 as most of my apps are fine.

How do I get the crash log? They just close with no error.

Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I accidentally hit “never offer to save passwords for this site again” by mistake. How do I undo this? It’s not in Settings under Safari or Passwords & Accounts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

They specifically didn't code an RNG.

It grabs 300 songs and dumps them in random order doesn't it?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So one of my AirPods Pro just started making a low and faint but very noticeable rumbling sound when ANC is turned on. The other side is completely silent and it seems to only be there when ANC is on. This seems to just have started up yesterday because I've never noticed it before but now I can't not hear it and it's so annoying I can't wear these anymore. Anyone else have or heard of a similar experience?

I just got through support and they'll ship me a replacement so the problem is hopefully taken care of, but this probably shouldn't happen with one month old AirPods.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

It grabs 300 songs and dumps them in random order doesn't it?

No clue on the specifics, but they've talked in the past when coding iPods that they specifically *don't* use true randomization because the results can do things people think aren't random (though they are), so they do things to ensure that it doesn't play the same song twice in a row or the same artist or whatever.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Edit: NVM. Wrong solution for wrong thread.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've been using the iPhone X since launch and decided to take the plunge today and order myself an 11 Pro Max.

I found the X screen a touch too small, so I'm hoping the Max will give me a extra size I need.

Roll on tomorrows delivery!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Just spent way too much time figuring this out and figured I'd share it here:

If you have an expired Testflight beta for an app that integrates with Files.app, and you use the Files share sheet, the share sheet will take 10-15 seconds to load in.

I'd be more annoyed but honestly I'm just happy to have fixed it

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's 5s is getting pretty long in the tooth, especially since it's only the 16GB version. She would prefer the home button, but at this point the iPhone 8 is already two years old, which makes me hesitant to recommend it, even given Apple's impressive support record with the 5s. Would an 8 still be a decent buy considering the price? Or should we look at an X of some sort or the 11?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hooah posted:

My wife's 5s is getting pretty long in the tooth, especially since it's only the 16GB version. She would prefer the home button, but at this point the iPhone 8 is already two years old, which makes me hesitant to recommend it, even given Apple's impressive support record with the 5s. Would an 8 still be a decent buy considering the price? Or should we look at an X of some sort or the 11?

Wait until spring to see if the rumors of an iPhone “SE 2” are true. It’s supposed to have the 11’s internals in the 8’s body. Allegedly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hooah posted:

The 8 and X share internal hardware. If an X is good enough, so too should be an 8.

But I agree on holding out until the spring.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I am a similar situation with an iPhone 7 that has no WiFi functionality anymore and I want to wait for the SE2, too. In some countries there are services that let you rent an iPhone for a few months. That might be an option if it is too painful to use the current device but you don’t want to commit to the 8.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

No clue on the specifics, but they've talked in the past when coding iPods that they specifically *don't* use true randomization because the results can do things people think aren't random (though they are), so they do things to ensure that it doesn't play the same song twice in a row or the same artist or whatever.

Lol mine does this regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The SE2 has been rumored forever, just buy a XR