Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

He doesn’t really have free will, he does things but always knows how they will turn out.

He can’t use his foreknowledge to change outcomes- since everything is simultaneous to him.

He’s a train on a track, but with an overhead view.

Trying to become like this to enact your white power plan is strange- I can’t imagine anything Manhattan cares about less than distinctions of ‘race’ or power.

A black man and a white man have the same number of particles.

I’d imagine the dying brain of a senile racist like Trump experiences time more like Dr. Manhattan does than like a normal person. It’s always 1985 to him, no matter what else is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Good show so far, thank you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mike the TV posted:

Dr. Manhattan is way less omniscient than he's given credit. While he's able to bring awesome new technology to the world of the 80's, he also has to do the experiments to figure it out. He doesn't just 'know' it all already. He gets muddled when dealing with human relationships. He gets fooled into believing that he caused the cancer of his friends and colleagues. He gets tricked by Veidt, several times actually, and in the end gets tricked into siding with him.

That's a good point. You'd think if manhattan was concerned, he could quickly verify that he did or didn't cause cancer by just observing the past.

But then, he WAS there for those moments, so its more that he just got flustered and defensive.

He's borderline omniscient but not remotely omnipotent or without character flaws. That's kinda the point, the more godlike he becomes, the less human he becomes. He loses touch with reality.

So its really hard to say what manhattan can't do vs what he just.. doesn't care about. For all we know he could do much more.

Like when Comedian shoots the vietnamese woman and then chides him because he could have turned the bullets into air but he just stood there and watched it happen.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If they compare having blue skin to having black skin at any point in the next two episodes I'm burning down Lindelof's house

They've wielded some extremely sensitive topics so far and managed to do so gracefully, but mannnn if I'm not a little bit worried the whole time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I was super worried up till the HJ episode

Now I think they've earned some benefit of the doubt

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If they compare having blue skin to having black skin at any point in the next two episodes I'm burning down Lindelof's house

They've wielded some extremely sensitive topics so far and managed to do so gracefully, but mannnn if I'm not a little bit worried the whole time

It would be like the two separate times Kitty Pride used the n-word to prove a point to a black man about anti-mutant racism.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lindelof said in interviews that he had a diverse writers' room that would occasionally shoot down his ideas due to racial sensitivity, so I think the show will be fine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Angela (voice faltering as she swells with pride at the idea of AMERICA): As our adventures have shown, we can always defeat racism because America treats all people fairly. It doesn’t matter if you’re black, brown, yellow...or blue.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

and to think people tried to argue that this wasn't a blue lives matter show

e: oh I guess that joke was already made. well I'm sticking with it

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

He gets muddled when dealing with human relationships.

And on top of that he continually seeks out young tail.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

We don’t know for sure if Jon can be killed, but there is evidence for “no”:

If anyone is interested DC is doing a cross-over where Dr Manhatten travels to the DC universe and he gets into a fight with like half the Justice League and kicks their asses. At one point they manage to "kill" him through focus fire and he just reforms his body and whoops them again.

The only thing I could think of would be some sort of perpetual Intrinsic field removal device. Maybe the cage they're building traps his particles in and they constantly blast him apart.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 3, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Don't read Doomsday Clock.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol:

What the gently caress? I watched a video of some of the early stuff that looked cute enough, in a dumb comic booky kinda way. How on earth did it turn into that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If I remember right he is acting to trick this Rorcharch to help him.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Nephthys posted:

If anyone is interested DC is doing a cross-over where Dr Manhatten travels to the DC universe and he gets into a fight with like half the Justice League and kicks their asses. At one point they manage to "kill" him through focus fire and he just reforms his body and whoops them again.

The only thing I could think of would be some sort of perpetual Intrinsic field removal device. Maybe the cage they're building traps his particles in and they constantly blast him apart.

We will finally answer the question of who is a better writer- Geoff Johns or a crack team of prestige television’s best.

But, yeah, that’s what I was thinking of. Guy Gardner sucker punches Jon and breaks his neck and is all “that was easy haw haw haw”

Then Jon resurrects, vaporizes the green lantern ring, snaps his fingers and takes out all the DC magicians and basically fucks up all the DC heroes with no effort. The gist of the story is that Manhattan is basically omnipotent, to the extent of changing key events of DC comics history. NON-CANON, I guess.

The “constant intrinsic remover” idea is clever but can’t he just re-form somewhere else? That’s what he does at the end of the book.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Is that the series where Manhattan is the creator of the DC Universe?

Always thought that was a cool idea.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Does he ever have a solemn moment where Batman tells him about 9/11?

Did 9/11 happen in dc comics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why is Rorschach, uh, in one piece

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It did in marvel

Do you know how many random innocents Dr Doom has killed. It's over 3000.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wooof.

I gotta say, the Darwyn Cooke parts of Before Watchmen are pretty good (Minutemen and Silk Spectre) in a way that just about
the characters without bothering truly linking up to Watchmen.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It sort of happened "off-panel" but 9/11 happened at the same time of a crossover called "Our Worlds At War" being published, which had a lot of space stuff raining down on american cities and smashing buildings. It was a strange coincidence.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

It did in marvel

Funny thing about Juggernaut being there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

9/11 would be like a normal Tuesday in either DC or Marvel. They let Grant Morrison kill off like 20,000,000 mutants in three panels in his run so I don't know if it would be an above the fold story in the Daily Bugle

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

:lol::lol:

What the gently caress? I watched a video of some of the early stuff that looked cute enough, in a dumb comic booky kinda way. How on earth did it turn into that?

Yannick_B posted:

Wooof.

I gotta say, the Darwyn Cooke parts of Before Watchmen are pretty good (Minutemen and Silk Spectre) in a way that just about
the characters without bothering truly linking up to Watchmen.

Had to look it up

Also while there's a lot of dumb and bad poo poo in DC, issue 10 (which explains Manhattan's arrival and how he shaped the DC universe) was pretty loving cool.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zoux posted:

In Doomsday Clock, Rorschach is Malcom Long's son.

He got hit by the squid's psychic fallout, was committed to an asylum where he met Mothman, broke out, went through his father's notes on Kovacs (his dad also had Rorshach's original mask with the file) and decided to become Rorschach #2.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s 7 episodes of a 9 episode season. The time has run out and we’re not going to get almost any satisfying end, at least I don’t think so personally. It’s cool a lot of people in this thread enjoyed the ride and this show but I just wish I could see what you guys see. All I see is a bad show with poorly written characters, a confusing plot and a bunch of mysteries. Next week is supposed to be another flashback episode as well. When will something happen? The final episode?

there's only a quarter of the story left, there's not enough time for anything to happen

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

In Doomsday Clock, Rorschach is Malcom Long's son.

He got hit by the squid's psychic fallout, was committed to an asylum where he met Mothman, broke out, went through his father's notes on Kovacs (his dad also had Rorshach's original mask with the file) and decided to become Rorschach #2.

drat they shoulda just made Watchman Babies

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

zoux posted:

drat they shoulda just made Watchman Babies

They did and I posted it already, dammit!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Mameluke posted:

there's only a quarter of the story left, there's not enough time for anything to happen

I gotta imagine it'll be a bizarre mirror of the original comic, where the climax takes you by surprise despite the pieces being there the whole time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Hahahaha that's so loving goofy

This is why doing superheroes for serious as anything other than a Watchmen / Boys style parody is a mistake. Keep it light-hearted and goofy, or suddenly we have to start asking a ton of awkward questions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They did and I posted it already, dammit!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

I gotta imagine it'll be a bizarre mirror of the original comic, where the climax takes you by surprise despite the pieces being there the whole time.

“Air the season finale? I’m not a brainless TV executive, I aired the finale 35 minutes ago”

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

zoux posted:

No I think they want to replicate the intrinsic field generator accident and get that power. I think Trieu is pretty emphatic on that.

Also, I would simply defeat Dr. Manhattan by exposing him to a rock from his homeworld, the mysterious element earthite, to weaken him and then drop a safe on his head.

I think a brick falling at terminal velocity is all you need really

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best part of Doomsday Clock is all the Batman Rogues are having a meeting and The Comedian comes in and just starts shooting them and they''re all 'wtf?' because they have no experience with that level of escalation, and Joker can't stop laughing that Riddler got hit in the leg.

I like Doomsday Clock but it is dumb. It has extreme 'When are we going to get to the fireworks factory' energy going on, because Superman has not yet met Dr Manhatten yet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Caught up on this show the last two days. I had very low expectations, but it's been amazing and I wish I waited another week so I could marathon it and look forward to the last episode. This latest episode was a bit of a mess at tying Angela's story to Dr. Manhattan, but I'll probably forgive it by the next episode.

Lol at Laurie getting captured by a lovely super-villain who explains his plan ~35 minutes before he does it instead of ~35 minutes after.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

KoRMaK posted:

I think a brick falling at terminal velocity is all you need really

All you woul'd need is portals... Aw poo poo.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

The best part of Doomsday Clock is all the Batman Rogues are having a meeting and The Comedian comes in and just starts shooting them and they''re all 'wtf?' because they have no experience with that level of escalation, and Joker can't stop laughing that Riddler got hit in the leg.

I like Doomsday Clock but it is dumb. It has extreme 'When are we going to get to the fireworks factory' energy going on, because Superman has not yet met Dr Manhatten yet.

The delays certainly haven't helped

Issue 1: Nov 2017
Issue 2: Dec 2017
Issue 3: Jan 2018
Issue 4: Mar 2018
Issue 5: May 2018
Issue 6: July 2018
Issue 7: Sep 2018
Issue 8: Dec 2018
Issue 9: Mar 2019
Issue 10: May 2019
Issue 11: Sep 2019
Issue 12: Two weeks from now.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

I own a copy of the original 1986 Watchmen compilation that I bought five years ago, used, from a thrift shop. It has some... enhancements.

Also, the suicide bomber at the funeral, well,

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 4, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

graham cracker posted:

I own a copy of the original 1986 Watchmen compilation that I bought five years ago, used, from a thrift shop. It has some... enhancements.

incredible

Barney sliding down like it's a firehouse pole

graham cracker posted:

drat. i dunno if its good writing, but i find it enjoyable to keep getting in this recursive rhyming echos inside a story. it feels like music, theres a chorus/verse that you keep going back too. whcih a little bit of that is "i recognie this" nostalgia but it does feel good for a minute.

anyway, shows enjoyable i like it alot

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 4, 2019

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I've only skimmed the thread, but has the show diverted enough from the source material that I won't be looking at spoilers if I read the thread? I'm not sure what the protocol is, but I'm really enjoying the show and I'm pretty sensitive to that poo poo. I'd really like to ask questions and see other people's reactions to each episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry, are you asking if the show has spoiled the comic book? If that's the question, everyone talks pretty freely about the comic ITT but also the show pretty much spoils the comic already.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Ariza posted:

I've only skimmed the thread, but has the show diverted enough from the source material that I won't be looking at spoilers if I read the thread? I'm not sure what the protocol is, but I'm really enjoying the show and I'm pretty sensitive to that poo poo. I'd really like to ask questions and see other people's reactions to each episode.

Just enjoy the show and don't worry about what other people think.

Then judge the show and call everyone around you idiots I guess.

lol j/k have a wonderful watchmens

tl;dr read the entire thread to this point and sort out the badposts.

edit: or just wait and watch the show and not analyze it before you initially view it.

Enjoy the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

graham cracker posted:

Beware the Cyclops