Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Edit: anyone know the full size of the game with the DLC? I probably need to free up a little space but I hope it's not too crazy.

20 GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Thanks, that's not bad at all.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh man I tried a couple of missions and immediately got my rear end handed to me. All the old poo poo you gotta watch out for is here; exploding cars and trucks, flanking enemies, etc etc. The aiming system is a really nice change from flat percentages and I can already see that you're going to be able to pull off some sick trickshots when you get actually accurate guns.

The only downside I've found so far is that it doesn't have the obvious polish of XCOM 2: The UI isn't as good or as slick, there are no little cutscenes of your troops like them arriving and rapelling down, and it feels like there's voice lines for some stuff but not much. Other than little things like that I like it a whole bunch.

For those of you who bought it via EGS does anyone know what the separate install for "Phoenix Point Content" is?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
A PDF manual and some wallpapers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I barely played any of the game so far and several reviews I've read mention that the game is still raw and unfinished so I'm pretty tempted to just leave it be for now until it hits Steam, and hope that it'll be more finished by then.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The most important question is how many silly hats can my soldiers wear?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the current release version, how do you access console commands?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Based on what I've seen I don't think they have any time for anything that's not essential.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow brutal review from polygon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Wow brutal review from polygon

Just read it, and ouch. Glad I requested that refund from EGS and just got it. Will wait for game pass release and some updates.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Link here: https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/3/20993568/phoenix-point-xcom-impressions

Edit: it sounds like there are a lot of basic issues they probably should have ironed out before they started development on DLC. I'm going to be cynical and assume that they won't actually fix much of it since they've already gotten their big payday from Epic.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 3, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Between this, and the Halo Reach launch being a colossal failure, today is disappointing. :negative:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Other places liked it

https://www.pcgamesn.com/phoenix-point/review
https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/phoenix-point/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNtESq5CFvI
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/12/03/phoenix-point-review/

VG247 not so much
https://www.vg247.com/2019/12/03/phoenix-point-review/

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've been playing for a couple of hours and I'm genuinely enjoying it so far. There's a few oddities, like flanking not really being a thing: enemies tend to just stand out in the open in normal and so far, I'm drowning in resources. Also, heavy troopers can't seem to hit anything that isn't point blank. My heavy has about three kills from about ten missions. I know they'll be more useful come the boss fights, but so far, I'm not enamoured with them.

The game could definitely use some polishing and a better Geoscape tutorial (took me a while to realise I had to send my ship off to do scans and I'm still unsure how to build a second base). It'd be nice if the game would pause once all my soldiers are healed so I could send them out as well. I'd say if you're on the fence, wait for a few patches. This isn't going to be an instant classic like NuXCom, but I can see this being an easy rival down the line. Definitely glad I backed this back in the day.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Be a real bummer if the adaptive enemies don't actually exist. That was a big selling point on Fig and Polygon makes it sound like it's non-existent in terms of delivery.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm withholding all judgement until the 3 Moves Ahead podcast reviews it. Game journalists tend not to be great at actually getting in to strategy games like this, but Rob Zachny tends to drill down enough to have a useful review.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Impermanent posted:

I'm withholding all judgement until the 3 Moves Ahead podcast reviews it. Game journalists tend not to be great at actually getting in to strategy games like this, but Rob Zachny tends to drill down enough to have a useful review.
But the polygon review linked above talked about how they completely crushed the game, so "Haha Game journalists suck at games" doesn't even seem to be a thing there.

Memnaelar posted:

Be a real bummer if the adaptive enemies don't actually exist. That was a big selling point on Fig and Polygon makes it sound like it's non-existent in terms of delivery.
While I wouldn't mind low key adaptation (because juggling a pile of weapons nonstop or ensuring a Five Weapon Types team would be brainless AND busywork), I do hope they have basically ANY adaptation because yeah, that was a big sales bulletpoint.

Like, I loved being able to slum it with lasers all game just fine in classic X-Com. But having a reason to change up your squad loadout beyond "Old loadout sucks" would be nice to remind you that you have other toys. You know, lean towards optimization rewarding changing it up, rather than make it the new meeting par so you don't feel like you've done anything smart, just mandatory.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 3, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My initial impressions aren't that it's bad, but just as the RedLetterMedia guys summed up Battletech by saying "This should be better" I think there's the same sentiment here. Only done a few early battles but the point on repetitiveness already rings true. I'm also reminded that Firaxis made a deliberate choice to present their strategic layer as a real time game when in reality its a turn-based game with a drape over it, and here the real time geoscape just doesn't work. It's impossible to tell how active I should be.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Not really my point but go off I guess

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

The most important question is how many silly hats can my soldiers wear?

there are no silly hats, but they make up for it with a lot of really tedious button pushing.

mediocrity.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Disappointing as gently caress. I'm going to walk into the sea.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Alchenar posted:

My initial impressions aren't that it's bad, but just as the RedLetterMedia guys summed up Battletech by saying "This should be better"

Battletech owns though

I only played for a bit, but I shot out some opaque glass to set up another soldier for a shot, so the free aiming at least is cool. I could've used a little more geoscape info in the tutorial, but I'm probably already doomed on this first run anyway so I'm not sweating figuring it out myself

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There seems to be a consensus that the early game is meh, but it gets more fun later afterwards.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Trillhouse posted:

I did a refund for exactly the same reason when Outer Worlds came out. For all it’s issues, the Epic store refund process is pretty fast and painless.

Funny you say that, it looks like I am being stonewalled. I sent a refund request and the first response was "you don't have this game in your account", which of course was bs. So I sent them another email with the order ID and a picture of my order history, showing a purchase for PP. The last email I received is (note that this is 50% the same canned response I got before):

Hello That Italian Guy,
Thank you for contacting Epic Games Player Support and I appreciate your effort to contact us, I am Zhel and I will be your support.
I understand that you want refund the game Phoenix Point.
Please be inform that your purchase is not eligible for a refund due to one of the following reasons:
--You exceeded the two-hour in-game time limit
--You requested a refund after the 14-day refund time limit
Thank you for reaching out.

And this is their policy regarding pre-orders:
What about preorders?
You can cancel your preorder and get a refund at any time before release. After the game is released, you can request a refund within 14 days if you have not played the game for more than 2 hours. For purposes of this policy, “release” includes any playable version of the game, including beta versions.

I did not have access to any beta or anything since I was not a backer. I'm curious to see what comes next.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 4, 2019

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Section Z posted:

But the polygon review linked above talked about how they completely crushed the game, so "Haha Game journalists suck at games" doesn't even seem to be a thing there.

That review ended with this line: "I may even go back and give it another try on higher difficulties, where my early testing seems to indicate that recruited soldiers don’t show up with free advanced weapons, and encounters seem to include more enemies." so it sounds like they may have played it on easy then complained it was too easy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ClothHat posted:

That review ended with this line: "I may even go back and give it another try on higher difficulties, where my early testing seems to indicate that recruited soldiers don’t show up with free advanced weapons, and encounters seem to include more enemies." so it sounds like they may have played it on easy then complained it was too easy.

I mean, they also specify they never lost a single soldier on "Normal difficulty" until the endgame, and how on Normal difficulty soldiers came fully equipped with their faction toys.

Though to be fair, I didn't see them specify they BEAT normal difficulty either :v: Maybe that endgame difficulty spike was particularly brutal for them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 4, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Woah, I was expecting a bit more exposure on launch day for PP for sure. Currently the top stream on twitch has 9k viewers; the second has 233.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game seems very brown.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Battletech owns though

Further thought for the night: like Battletech, the game doesn't quite need more time in the oven, but it does clearly need the feedback of several thousand people playing it in the wild to shape how the expansions round it out.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

ClothHat posted:

this is the thing. they ['maintream' gaming journos] don't really get into the guts of games like this because you can't really reasonably do that in the time window you're given for stuff like this. in two weeks or whatever people who are intense about this niche subgenre will have more reasonable takes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My brother's playing on minimum settings so his toaster can run it. No shadows, minimal textures, we've decided to call it Classic Mode.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If EGS hadn't eaten my saves I might like it more. The game itself is good though. Janky as gently caress as every x-com and xcom game are, but it doesn't have xcoms massive issues.

For people worried about spamming explosives being too good, grenades at the least aren't an issue, because they cost resources to replace and have a 5h build time, each, at the start.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Further thought for the night: like Battletech, the game doesn't quite need more time in the oven, but it does clearly need the feedback of several thousand people playing it in the wild to shape how the expansions round it out.

Fully agreed

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Alchenar posted:

I guess I'm just easy to please or something, since I heard people saying this about xcom2 as well, and I was in love with it and battletech from day one

Trip report: I'm still somehow hanging on in my first campaign with 3 soldiers after losing 2 by underestimating the need to carry multiple medkits for bleeding. Those remaining three are a well oiled machine by now

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poo poo. That leaked polygon article had a link for a related article from 2 years ago and now I know that not only did ea kill command and conquer after they bought westwood, but they also killed Gallop making Valkyria Chronicles-Com back. Now I'm sad because that sounds like such a rad concept.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Spent about 5-6 hours in game so far, and my snap verdict is that it's definitely rough as hell and could stand to get some polish, but at its heart is a game I could easily love a great deal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ClothHat posted:

quote:

Playing on the normal difficulty setting, I didn’t lose a single soldier until the end game, where the difficulty spikes dramatically.

Phoenix Point’s tech tree almost immediately spoils the game’s tension. In the normal difficulty setting recruits arrive fully armed, and armored, with the best gear available from their home faction.

It sounds like they played on the intended difficulty

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

In a lot of games "normal" is the easy setting and not the intended difficulty.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Is the game good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sounds like pp not hard.