Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I know that this is a thread for hatin' and there's plenty of mismanagement to point out, but I was impressed and I'm starting to think a good game could emerge from this one day.

MOM get the credit card

please give generously

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

IDK what to tell you, not everybody has been in these threads forever. Lots of people heard about this game in 2013 or whatever and have checked out till now. It's not their fault they don't have full on Star Citizen Brain

our brains have been ravaged by years of laughing at the piece of poo poo video game

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If you are going by the metric of a extreme blizzard, then the 3.8 version looks like poo poo. While the citcon version is more realistic, it would be unplayable. You need to see where you are going, especially when the ground is an endless proc-gen sprawl of boulders and hills.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Pixelate posted:

Quick 'un...

:discourse:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

quote:

Frank Savage: Yeah. Now it did there was a lot of stuff we did like And this is just scratching the surface in terms of crazy stories. But like one of the one of the things that isn't super widely known about Strike Commander was we actually about three months before we shipped. We had the full mission set all done and you could basically play through the game and when we played through the game, we all felt this wasn't utilizing the engine to the best capability. It wasn't giving us the experience. We wanted it didn't it didn't have that feel for the story that we wanted. So in demonstrating the continued unbelievable wisdom of the Strike Commander team. We tossed all the missions three months before.
:thunk:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Funny that.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
so i played the free fly event as a new player. I woke up in a laggy apartment with no idea what to do and it kept putting random tutorial messages on my screen that were irrelevant to what i was actually doing. I accepted a pop up 'quest' then ran around the laggy city for ages and bought some purple shoes and a gun. i finally found the hanger bay and worked out how to call my ship but forgot which hanger it was in. thought i found it as there was a ship with its ramp down but it wouldnt let me turn it on. turned around and there were two guys staring at me so i guess it wasn't mine but i got my foot stuck in the floor so i couldn't leave. game crashed as they tried to fly off.

found my ship, worked out controls, smashed into the hanger door as it wouldnt open. Googled that i needed to call someone to open it, googled how to call someone, took off, started climbing out of the atmosphere but my cockpit window kept opening and closing. managed to work out how to FTL travel to a location, got interdicted, stopped my ship, was immediately fired on upon and killed. game crashed. uninstalled.

couple q's. is it meant to take literal minutes in game to leave atmosphere? why are the keybinds so bad?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Ahh yes, a small amount of playtime only 700-800 hours.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blue On Blue posted:

I think they will squeeze out a bare minimum land claim idea. Of which they will tell everyone to not use their land claim because it will crash the server. And then pat themselves on the back

I remember the sandworm was NO JOKE!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

queef anxiety posted:

couple q's. is it meant to take literal minutes in game to leave atmosphere? why are the keybinds so bad?

Yes. Long flight times are immersive.

The keybinds are bad because the design for the flight model or other player->game interaction changes annually and they don't really bother to update the controls to match.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Renfield posted:

Meanwhile, in a published game, on a filthy pled console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7UwdxmPMk&t=145s

difference being that Star Citizen is in Alpha™ and it's still early days.
checkmate

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Are Star Citizen's Backers Actually Deluded? (CitizenCon 2949 Impressions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk7_wiO5wp8

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Blue On Blue posted:

Plus how does he expect his 60 acre plot to work in the real game

Either everything is wide open and you can do what you want, in which case he will cry every time someone steps foot on his land and ganks his ships

Or

Cig will sell all sorts of ai and land claim defense drones for real dollars , and of course the ai will be broken as poo poo

So uhh ok i guess option 2 is the answer!

If they get to it before SC collapses or gets "released" as whatever alpha they run out of money on, my guess is that they'll have "player planets" where you can buy a plot of land on a completely barren and useless planet. Each player will be able to plunk down a small number of prefabbed buildings on their plot, which will be impassable for other players not on the plot owners whitelist.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

r/ChroniclesOfElyria

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 4, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What kind of planet name is Microtech? The art and naming-scheme of SC makes it look like Warframe without the personality.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

Frank Savage: Yeah. Now it did there was a lot of stuff we did like And this is just scratching the surface in terms of crazy stories. But like one of the one of the things that isn't super widely known about Strike Commander was we actually about three months before we shipped. We had the full mission set all done and you could basically play through the game and when we played through the game, we all felt this wasn't utilizing the engine to the best capability. It wasn't giving us the experience. We wanted it didn't it didn't have that feel for the story that we wanted. So in demonstrating the continued unbelievable wisdom of the Strike Commander team. We tossed all the missions three months before.

6 months into 2020 (required alpha) or by Q3 2020 (required beta) Chris will have his company devoured by his corporate overlords (assuming that crytek lawsuit hasn't done anything yet). He experiences physical revulsion at releasing content. I can only imagine what the mission completion percentages on timeline actually are/have been.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Armadillo Tank posted:

6 months into 2020 (required alpha) or by Q3 2020 (required beta) Chris will have his company devoured by his corporate overlords (assuming that crytek lawsuit hasn't done anything yet). He experiences physical revulsion at releasing content. I can only imagine what the mission completion percentages on timeline actually are/have been.

Have more faith. Chris Roberts has a vision* and he knows what he wants this game to be** and it will take time for the game*** to come together.

*He does not have a vision
**He does not know what he wants this game to be
***There is no game

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
“Scope Creep”

Scope creep happens because someone didn’t say ‘no’, or promised a feature they shouldn’t have. Scope creep used to happen when sales came back with a requirement technical hadn’t considered before. You combat scope creep with defined guardrails, design guidelines, design documents, and even the rough collection of fag-packet notes and double-underlined poo poo on whiteboards. It’s the process by which the project starts to devour it’s participants, it’s avoidable and every time I hear about it, it’s like hearing about the end of someone’s multi-year cocaine and champagne binge.

Sure, everyone gets a nightmare job that starts to bleed time because something just won’t work right. I burned weeks on a devil’s triangle of integration, and was in the process of researching deep occult rites when the loving thing just started working; You avoid that by coming up with very defined ideas of what you want, how you want to do it, and at what point you’ll consider yourself successful.

Sidebar: current programmer business psychology is much like cognitive behavioral therapy in terms of reducing stress on yourself by clearly defining goals, methods and being open to failing. It feeds into the more ‘spiritual’ side of Agile, which is about avoiding blocks, and has a relationship to Kaizan , not Kazan.

The reason Star Citizen faces “Scope Creep” is literally self-inflicted because they figured out early on that people would give them cash for the promise of something down the line. Vaguely predictable given that we live in a world where 419 scams not only exist, but keep on evolving. What the comedy cartoon characters on Reddit fail to understand is that a scam can start with the best of intentions, but at some point, and everyone has a moment when their scruples are tested, there’s a person alone in a room with a big pile of money.

You can wave off all that ‘he was independently rich’ stuff. Nobody living in Hollywood is there because they have enough, and while he started out maybe thinking of a return to the glory days, and doing some FMV, he raised magnitudes more cash than he thought possible.

Fully half their staff are artists. We’re so many ships deep that they can burn cycles producing glossy ads for them, but actual mechanics are missing. Not merely buggy, but entirely missing. And that’s just the space flight side. They’re still behind on the vehicles they’ve sold, the weapons they carry, etc, etc.

Honestly, however this ends, it’s going to be a hoot. I’m thinking like the skeeviest pool party you can imagine, but it’s all these guys with lambo key fobs, shades and knock off rolexes, posing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What kind of planet name is Microtech? The art and naming-scheme of SC makes it look like Warframe without the personality.

I believe it’s supposed to be intercapped; MicroTech. It’s corporate named.

This is a universe he wrote himself into, pining after that Garriot ‘Lord British’ poon-magnet.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Cultist: Haha, Star Citizen will blow this actual game away and I have a land claim larger than RDR2 on these microtech biomes

Normal Person: Oh yeah?

Cultist: well, none of those things exist, but the game in my imagination is still better!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Skyarb posted:

Ahh yes, a small amount of playtime only 700-800 hours.

ED bashers always get a lol out of me. Most of the people playing that game are ones that have sunk hundreds of hours in but still complain about nothing to do. I'm sorry it's not your forever game?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Gamers take an awful lot of pride in tedious bullshit.

I"m so HARDCORE and a HIGHER LIFE FORM because I want to spend 45 MINUTES OF MY LIFE warping from one point to another unlike you PUSSIES who don't want to MANUALLY PRETEND TO MOVE BOXES.
Moving is pretty much ever sane persons least favorite thing in the world and these guys want to do it while playing pretend.
WHAT

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 4, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Because despite the many faults in the concept, it's still a cool concept? It's absolutely weird to see this thread be like "I don't understand how anyone could want this game to be good" lmao
I mean, when you promise single player questlines that tie into an mmo that features 10,000 real time player battles, with various trades from medic to merchant to mercenary all being equally important, with hundreds of systems to "organically" explore and the selling of secret trade information to navigate the 'verses secrets, with you being able to build your own colony or fleet to control sectors of space, with the ability to turn the real time combat mmo into a real time strategy game with large scale first person combat battles happening while capital ships bombard planets while smaller ships fight off bombers and landing crews, all the while you are talking to people using an RSI branded camera over FOIP while using the RSI joystick, as you are welcomed aboard your capital ship by a bevy of realistic npcs all with their own backstories and needs and are mixed seamlessly with your real crew of players who can communicate across a 50 person ship without issue or spamming "MY rear end NEEDS CHRIS ROBERTS" because as you know everyone loves to roleplay a stoic crewman standing idly by their station for hours on end doing absolutely nothing but saying "aye cap'n" because god knows the news ship outside might broadcast a negative thing and then your reputation in the 'verse will be severely impacted, meanwhile the vanduul fleets are slowly amassing and maybe the other aliens, the banu and whatever the gently caress the others are, have meaningful languages so OF COURSE they are super important and you will obviously be able to interact with them in meaningful ways, but you have to be careful you don't upset the delicate balance in the 'verse because that will have serious impact for your character, including personalized quests and factions, not to mention the guild system that isn't even in the loving game right now, you can't even chat with your loving guildmates, sure, yeah, all that sounds loving incredible, by which I mean not loving happening because its just a "HOLY poo poo WOULDN'T A GAME WITH EVERY POSSIBLE CONCEIVABLE loving MECHANIC BE AMAZING, HOLY poo poo FRED WE SHOULD DESIGN A GAME THAT JUST DOES EVERYTHING, EVERY IDEA FRED" that every single loving teenager has every dreamed up and it doesn't ever loving work because a game of that scale would take at least several hundred million dollars if not a billion and a team so passionate and insane that would be their goddamn lifes work and it would be unending and tiresome and probably for a loving demographic of insane space nerds who would never, ever give you enough money to ever make such a thing loving feasible

but yeah man, sure, I love the "idea" of star citizen

if I was a loving moron

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Have more faith. Chris Roberts has a vision* and he knows what he wants this game to be** and it will take time for the game*** to come together.

*He does not have a vision
**He does not know what he wants this game to be
***There is no game

Chris is that kid on the playground when you were both 12-13 years old

He was the one jumping around and making pew pew noises pretending to be a power ranger with the group of 8 year olds

You always knew he was special, just a little different. A real visionary

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

This is good, for star citizen

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Come on man, it disheartens me when people unironically like Star Citizen because it means there's more gas left in the tank, but the simple premise of basically being able to own a ship, walk around in it, board other ships and landing pads, etc. Is pretty cool. It's just not that complex, so I'm surprised no one has done it yet. You could literally just make SC's original pitch and you would have a strong base game to build off of and add all those crazy professions.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

UnknownTarget posted:

Come on man, it disheartens me when people unironically like Star Citizen because it means there's more gas left in the tank, but the simple premise of basically being able to own a ship, walk around in it, board other ships and landing pads, etc. Is pretty cool. It's just not that complex, so I'm surprised no one has done it yet. You could literally just make SC's original pitch and you would have a strong base game to build off of and add all those crazy professions.

It should say a lot that the only dev that came close to properly implementing this is a lunatic that shakes down vending machines. Whatever walking in space is, it's definitely not 'not that complex'. Frankly, the more attempts I see, the more it seems like a completely separate genre, something you need to plan from the very start.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I know that this is a thread for hatin' and there's plenty of mismanagement to point out, but I was impressed and I'm starting to think a good game could emerge from this one day.

MOM get the credit card

This thread is mostly just sharing stories and laughing in the glow of a good dumpster fire. After 8 years everything that can be said for or against Star Citizen has been said to death. At this point, anyone with a more personalized hatred of it, even Derek Smart himself, had just grown too tired to really care on any deeper level.

In for one was never a backer or had any real personal investment in Star Citizen. But I give the game a fair shake each free-fly, and I have never found it to be anything more than a tech-demo for a hodgepodge of disparate and half-baked ideas that are executed with hilarious ineptitude.

Go play the current pre-alpha during a free-fly, if you think it was worth 300 million dollars, that Chris Roberts is a genius, and that the project is on track to be an amazing game, then by all means buy in big commando. Maybe someday I’ll be a poor space peasant moping the halls of your Idris for minimum space wage.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 4, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

UnknownTarget posted:

but that's not the premise. if they just went "well we are just going to make a spaceship viewer game where there's some terrible combat, trade sucks, and the AI isn't great but boy howdy you can walk around your $1,500 ship" I would applaud them and leave the insane people who like that alone, because who cares

but thats not what they are selling. its what the game actually is, but its not what they are advertising as coming soon

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also no mans sky does that. a ton of games do that.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
I'd imagine Chris Roberts hyping everyone that once Squadron 42 comes out, they'll forget about this alpha shitshow and it will sell 10 million copies in a year.

Oh boy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Elderbean posted:

Gamers take an awful lot of pride in tedious bullshit.

The ephemeral dreams.txt design doc specifies that this is fidelitious real life in space. This is your chance. For only $thousands of your dollars you can start a new life in space complete with space box carrying, space pooping, owning space land that you pay space taxes on, having space sex with your space prisoners with lust on your mind, and absolutely NO AUTOWALK.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

but that's not the premise. if they just went "well we are just going to make a spaceship viewer game where there's some terrible combat, trade sucks, and the AI isn't great but boy howdy you can walk around your $1,500 ship" I would applaud them and leave the insane people who like that alone, because who cares

but thats not what they are selling. its what the game actually is, but its not what they are advertising as coming soon

Star Wars Galaxies Jump to Lightspeed expansion had nearly everything these people claim to want, right down to the indestructible luxury ship, and nobody gave a gently caress. The only thing it didn't have was EVA and boarding other ships, which Star Citizen also does not, and will not, have.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Remember when Microsoft renamed Redmond into Microsoft, that's what happened

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay, credit where credit's due: the aerial version of the blizzard tech looks pretty good. Still some technical challenges and it's not really game mechanics, but I'd be suitably impressed if I flew into this in my spaceship. This is the kind of atmospheric effect that makes planets feel a bit more alive.

https://streamable.com/ik7e1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

demo vs. delivered feature, exibit A: weather effects

Promise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4MWOtJMXIc&t=2444s

Delivery: https://streamable.com/ml4bf

Nice to see them outdoing Morrowind on the weather side of things :D