Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-04/clive-palmer-copyright-case-with-twisted-sister/11764526

quote:

Businessman-turned-politician Clive Palmer allegedly breached the copyright of a famous metal song in political advertising after he requested a licence and "didn't like the price", a court has heard.

Universal's barrister Patrick Flynn SC said the organisation would seek additional damages on top of the royalties.
"The reason the add damages case arises is the evidence Mr Palmer requested a licence from our client," he said.
"He knew that he needed one. He didn't like the price, is our case, and so he went ahead."
How much could a licence have possibly cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Probably minimum $3,000 per second for Twisted Sister's most popular advertising song, but they build in poo poo like commercial reach, purpose, your budget and frequency of ads so it varies wildly and doesn't always need to have a rational reason for the cost. They might have quoted something nuts because Palmer's business wasn't going to be of any ongoing importance.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

They're not gonna take it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Did they use the song during the tennis ad blitz? That would have cost a lot more than $3k per second because that poo poo was running every fifteen minutes for a long time and their spend on ad space would have been huge. Apparently his ad spend was $55m and TV costs more than signs, so I guess they'd have asked for a lot of money for the song.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 4, 2019

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I thought lambic would only pass medivac if the lnp agreed to resettle in nz?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Does per second mean if I run ten seconds of the song per ad, in five ads, I pay thirty thousand?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bandaid.friend posted:

Does per second mean if I run ten seconds of the song per ad, in five ads, I pay thirty thousand?
Nah it’d be 30K per ad

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
E: Nvm

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 4, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

Nah how much you use in the ad itself but then you pay more and more based on your budget and what you're using it for. So it might be a fifteen second ad playing the song the whole time for $45k but then they're going to look at frequency and whatever else then ramp it up.

I have no idea what they charge base on a lovely old rock song but I'd assume twisted sister is huge in the boomer adspace market and costs real money.

E: per second isn't only one way to charge it but I think it's the most used for ads because no one is licensing a whole song like a film might. To licence a bottom tier Beatles song in full for a tv show or movie is like $100k base.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 4, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

drunkill posted:

Lambies a shitcunt

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009

Zenithe posted:

That was the rumour going around according to a bunch of news articles but never confirmed and just yesterday the NZ government said the discussions hadn't been opened back up

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Zenithe posted:

if only it were a lambic

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We've all just seen how happy the LNP is to reneg on 'deals', why is Lambie such a dumb stooge? I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't just another heartfelt talk from Dutton about how the boats will restart and thousands will die at sea if we make this change, and there's nothing else for it but to let people rot in hell.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Solemn Sloth posted:

“A senior New South Wales police officer said it wasn’t a “deal-breaker” if volunteers drafted to watch strip-searches conducted on minors at a music festival had not completed working with children checks.”

I don't understand this doubling down on "the war on drugs!" stuff by NSW police. I mean I understand why they want to be able to strip search people for no reason, (cops are facists, gotta keep the poors/browns/poofs/broads in their place etc.) but the strip searching of children in public, and pushing back against the most reasonable of qualifications, (if you're going to strip search a child, at least have a responsible adult supervising) is insane. All because little Suzy might have a joint whilst watching Billie Ellish sing. Is it a NSW thing that they go particularly hard on the "drugs are bad mmkay" angle?

I can maybe see why they are pushing so hard on the strip searching in this case. Because if they can get strip searches to become normalized, like metal detectors at airports etc., then people will be less likely to ark up when in the future a cop drags Mohammed Patel and his granddaugter aside for no reason to intimidate, strip, and then spuriously arrest them on a busy city street.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only thing dumber than Lambie rn is Anidav for continuing to believe Labor will ever win an election

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't understand this doubling down on "the war on drugs!" stuff by NSW police. I mean I understand why they want to be able to strip search people for no reason, (cops are facists, gotta keep the poors/browns/poofs/broads in their place etc.) but the strip searching of children in public, and pushing back against the most reasonable of qualifications, (if you're going to strip search a child, at least have a responsible adult supervising) is insane. All because little Suzy might have a joint whilst watching Billie Ellish sing. Is it a NSW thing that they go particularly hard on the "drugs are bad mmkay" angle?

I can maybe see why they are pushing so hard on the strip searching in this case. Because if they can get strip searches to become normalized, like metal detectors at airports etc., then people will be less likely to ark up when in the future a cop drags Mohammed Patel and his granddaugter aside for no reason to intimidate, strip, and then spuriously arrest them on a busy city street.

Because NSW is thoroughly captured by the right of the Liberal party, who's constituents were never cool enough to get offered drugs as teenagers and will be spending the rest of their lives taking that out on everyone else.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Don Dongington posted:

the right of the Liberal party, who's constituents were never cool enough to get offered drugs as teenagers and will be spending the rest of their lives taking that out on everyone else.
lmao this hadn't occurred to me but you are totally right

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

JBP posted:

Nah how much you use in the ad itself but then you pay more and more based on your budget and what you're using it for. So it might be a fifteen second ad playing the song the whole time for $45k but then they're going to look at frequency and whatever else then ramp it up.

I have no idea what they charge base on a lovely old rock song but I'd assume twisted sister is huge in the boomer adspace market and costs real money.

E: per second isn't only one way to charge it but I think it's the most used for ads because no one is licensing a whole song like a film might. To licence a bottom tier Beatles song in full for a tv show or movie is like $100k base.

Yeah I was wondering if it was eg. 45k total or 45k each time the ad plays on telly. I was expecting the licence to be in the tens of thousands, which sounds cheap for a man like Palmer, but 45k each time the ad runs does sound like a lot

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NSW police think their Facebook followers screaming I hope these kids die, police should be feared and that drugs are for idiots think they need to satisfy these people.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

They just want to kill live music for the benefit of olds and touching kids is the easiest way to go about it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress this loving shithole.

Why doesnt Canberra ever burn to the ground?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

heres a stupid question. What qualifications does lambie have to actually represent people? what world experience does she have? she's a mother?? great!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

gently caress this loving shithole.

Why doesnt Canberra ever burn to the ground?

Be the change you want to see in the world.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Because NSW is thoroughly captured by the right of the Liberal party, who's constituents were never cool enough to get offered drugs as teenagers and will be spending the rest of their lives taking that out on everyone else.

i wasn't offered drugs in highschool and i didnt swing hard right because of it

(i swung hard right because uni staff didn't give me a free movie ticket once)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

toggle posted:

heres a stupid question. What qualifications does lambie have to actually represent people? what world experience does she have? she's a mother?? great!

She got voted in and isn’t a bankrupt or foreign citizen.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

lol clive palmers defense claims that they didnt copy 'we're not gonna take it' by Twisted Sister, they copied 'oh come all ye faithful' (the christmas carol)

which Dee Snider of Twisted Sister said was the inspiration for we're not gonna take it - several years ago.

like they just read the songs wikipedia page and decided that would be their defense.

The song itself its pretty anti-boomer lyrically and given Twisted Sisters whole thing was 'hair metal but drag' im not really sure boomers identify with it as much as gen X people do.

e: the single sold 500,000 and the album sold 3M copies so that 'lovely rock song' probably put every kid of every band member through college and bought them all houses and likely still makes them bank to this very day.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 4, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Laserface posted:

lol clive palmers defense claims that they didnt copy 'we're not gonna take it' by Twisted Sister, they copied 'oh come all ye faithful' (the christmas carol)

which Dee Snider of Twisted Sister said was the inspiration for we're not gonna take it - several years ago.

like they just read the songs wikipedia page and decided that would be their defense.

The song itself its pretty anti-boomer lyrically and given Twisted Sisters whole thing was 'hair metal but drag' im not really sure boomers identify with it as much as gen X people do.

Gen X also have lovely boomer opinions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The lyric "we're not gonna take it" is dumb boomer audio as gently caress

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I identify with the child in the music video who does not want to clean his room, and "does not want to take it", because frankly cleaning your room is some bullshit. Anyway my favourite Twisted Sister song is Heavy Metal Christmas

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's almost like Clive did a deep dive into Donald Trump's business practices over the past 30 years, zeroed in on the "and NEVER PAY PEOPLE FOR SERVICES RENDERED" bit, and then decided to apply that universally.

I mean it's probably working too, despite the fact that our legal system isn't quite as loving broken as theirs. Did those QLD Nickel miners ever get paid?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It’s insane to think anyone could have a favourite twisted sister song that isn’t ‘I wanna rock’

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

It's almost like Clive did a deep dive into Donald Trump's business practices over the past 30 years, zeroed in on the "and NEVER PAY PEOPLE FOR SERVICES RENDERED" bit, and then decided to apply that universally.

I mean it's probably working too, despite the fact that our legal system isn't quite as loving broken as theirs. Did those QLD Nickel miners ever get paid?

This is just the every rich fat idiot playbook, Donald didn't invent it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s insane to think anyone could have a favourite twisted sister song that isn’t ‘I wanna rock’

we're not gonna take its drum into is infectious as gently caress.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

toggle posted:

The same could be said of practically every politician. They all loving suck to a large degree.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

The same could be said of practically every politician. They all loving suck to a large degree.

Honestly, that's a better qualification than "Banker" or "Staffer" or "Young ALP/LNP".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

How can the senate continue.

You cannot make an informed decision if there's secret deals floating around.

What.

there's no secret deal, dude. she's loving lying

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you've been following australian politics for more than a month and believe lambie is telling the truth that well, she doesn't want to but she has to vote to repeal medevac because of a secret deal, i'm sorry but you're dumb as loving dogshit

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If I was Lambie I'd be collecting millions a year through offshore accounts to vote however I'm told.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The only thing worth hoping for Lambie to do is loving die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Laserface posted:

we're not gonna take its drum into is infectious as gently caress.

This. Also when I was a kid my dad showed me the video clip for it and for weeks I would have nightmares about the father in the video.

Also it's basically the same song as Prisoner of Society (or more accurately the other way round).