Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Since the Gators aren’t in the conference championship I am forced to root for chaos. What are the biggest chaos scenarios?

When is the last time Bama wasn’t in the top 10? Or maybe top 5 even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

colachute posted:

Since the Gators aren’t in the conference championship I am forced to root for chaos. What are the biggest chaos scenarios?

Clemson losing to UVA is probably the only one that will make a dent.

If Georgia housed LSU like 59-0 and Burrow got hurt then maybe we can get both Baylor and Utah in? Probably not. I don't think any margin of Wisconsin victory keeps Ohio State out. If we imagine it could I guess Georgia, Utah, Big 12 winner, Wisconsin would be the biggest chaos scenario.

Nevermind, one loss LSU would still go over 2 loss Wisconsin I'm sure even if they were somehow able to knock Ohio State out (which they can't).

Hmmm, maaaaaaaybe 2 loss Wisconsin could get in if Georgia, Clemson and Utah lose and they win convincingly. Putting them in over Clemson would make people's heads explode.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 4, 2019

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Further proof Bama didn't have a single good win.

Also if Utah wins boy is the committee going to have a hell of a time picking between them and the Big 12 champion. It's going to be fun to watch.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Florida going to lock up that NY6 bowl spot

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
PSU pretty for sure going to the rose bowl, sick

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

colachute posted:

When is the last time Bama wasn’t in the top 10? Or maybe top 5 even?

This is their lowest in the CFP ever. Previous lowest was 6 in the first CFP rankings 2014.

Their 9 in the Coaches and AP is also the lowest since 2015 when they were 9/10th.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I feel it's set up so that if Utah and OU win (and assuming top 3 win), Oklahoma would have a shot to jump up to 4 based on the better win, especially with Okie State remaining top 25. But would Baylor be able to jump Utah? Still a better win, but I feel like Oklahoma has the brand behind it. Although if one game is close and the other a blowout that could affect it too. Will be interesting to see how the committee handles this, but they've got to be hoping one of them loses to make it easy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I feel it's set up so that if Utah and OU win (and assuming top 3 win), Oklahoma would have a shot to jump up to 4 based on the better win, especially with Okie State remaining top 25. But would Baylor be able to jump Utah? Still a better win, but I feel like Oklahoma has the brand behind it. Although if one game is close and the other a blowout that could affect it too. Will be interesting to see how the committee handles this, but they've got to be hoping one of them loses to make it easy.

Yeah that occurred to me too, they've got their excuse set up to keep Utah out with Baylor sitting right behind OU. I think Utah and Baylor wins (with a Georgia loss) are their worst nightmare, they want no part of either of those teams.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
forgettin the bama at 12th thing

which

is hard

USC is ranked?

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Already been explained why but let’s say it happens and we beat Minnesota convincingly.

Would you rank us?

you cowards

If it happens, we’ll either make #25 or “others receiving votes.” In this week’s coaches poll we received 3.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Godzilla07 posted:

Kerwin Bell left JU after JU wouldn't commit to becoming a scholarship program, and it's been downhill from there

Kerwin Bell is not a good football coach.

Valdosta State won a wild national title game last year, 49-47, with some of the worst play and clock management I've ever seen. Had Bell not had that national title run, he likely would have been fired as VSU had been underperforming under his guidance. He turned that into an OC job at South Florida which hasn't gone very well.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Rad Valtar posted:

Also if Utah wins boy is the committee going to have a hell of a time picking between them and the Big 12 champion. It's going to be fun to watch.

Assuming Georgia loses. If they beat LSU it’s over for both.

I’m rooting for Utah. They were nobodies in the Mountain West ten years ago, that’d be fun to see them complete climbing the ladder. ESPN is going to demand Oklahoma though.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I saw an interesting post today - OSU three out-of-conference opponents are all playing in their conference championships. They aren't power teams/conferences tho.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
UVA dropped a spot after beating VT?

K.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Scarf posted:

UVA dropped a spot after beating VT?

K.

We weren’t ranked last week

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

dirty shrimp money posted:

Assuming Georgia loses. If they beat LSU it’s over for both.

I’m rooting for Utah. They were nobodies in the Mountain West ten years ago, that’d be fun to see them complete climbing the ladder. ESPN is going to demand Oklahoma though.

They were nobodies who had won a Fiesta Bowl in 2005 and a Sugar Bowl against Bama in 2008.

I get they were midmajor but they were solidly whipping P5 rear end by that point.

But yeah Go Utes. I want to see some new faces. And Kyle Whittingham is the loving man.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I dislike Alabama with the fire of a thousand suns but 12? Seriously?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

skipdogg posted:

...yes?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Putting Bama at 12 seems like a fine way for the committee to say "there is absolutely no way we are putting them in the playoff no matter what crazy scenario you can dream up so don't waste your time"

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, they should probably be lower

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

Putting Bama at 12 seems like a fine way for the committee to say "there is absolutely no way we are putting them in the playoff no matter what crazy scenario you can dream up so don't waste your time"

https://youtu.be/fiqCYrNmwkM?t=200

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ungratek posted:

We weren’t ranked last week

Weird, I could have sworn I looked at the rankings earlier today and UVA was at 22...

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Roasted Donut posted:

Wisconsin has to lose by 10 or more, probably

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Raku posted:

USC is ranked?

They beat the number 5 team with their 3rd string QB and their only really bad loss is BYU. They're 22 in SP+ too. Is there anyone super egregious who is left out?

Scarf posted:

Weird, I could have sworn I looked at the rankings earlier today and UVA was at 22...

They're 22 in the AP that came out earlier this week

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Baylor would be avenging their only loss, which should count for something, but I think the committee would rather have Utah.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MourningView posted:

They beat the number 5 team with their 3rd string QB and their only really bad loss is BYU. They're 22 in SP+ too. Is there anyone super egregious who is left out?

They're 22 in the AP that came out earlier this week

Ahhh gotcha

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bama ain’t beat nobody, pawl

Seriously.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Komet posted:

that is going to happen, so

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Aw gently caress it looks like beating Bama might have actually knocked us down in the bowl predictions to Outback.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I for one am excited to watch Bama kick the everloving poo poo out of Michigan in the Citrus Bowl

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/TM4BMA/status/1201531196485906434

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I’d prefer if we got anyone but Georgia in the Orange, since we open next season with them

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Komet posted:

They will lose by 20+ and a 3 loss wisconsin aint sticking ahead of 2 loss psu

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

C-Euro posted:

RichRod was unfairly maligned as Not A Michigan Man and history will validate this stance. Wasn't there a book about how the football program and athletic department as a whole set him up to fail, or is that was pro-RR propaganda?

There was a book called "3 and Out: Rich Rodriguez at Michigan" https://www.amazon.com/Three-Out-Rodriguez-Michigan-Wolverines/dp/B0085RZPY6

I can only hope this is the book because two different books about his tenure at Michigan is too Michigan for me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Maxwells Demon posted:

There was a book called "3 and Out: Rich Rodriguez at Michigan" https://www.amazon.com/Three-Out-Rodriguez-Michigan-Wolverines/dp/B0085RZPY6

I can only hope this is the book because two different books about his tenure at Michigan is too Michigan for me.

Yeah that was the one, thank you.

MourningView posted:

I for one am excited to watch Bama kick the everloving poo poo out of Michigan in the Citrus Bowl

Same.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iowa State extended Matt Campbell all the way to 2025. I like it, he's the best coach ISU has had since Earl Bruce in the 70s. It should at least quiet rumors about him ending up somewhere else.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it just coincidence that the Big 12 Grant of Rights also expires in 2025?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Eh possibly, but if Campbell continues to do well, I wouldn't be surprised to see another extension in like 2022 or something that would extend well past the grant of rights issue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Didn't he already have one than ran through 2024?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Wish I was as confident. I still see Wisconsin ranked over us even if they lose to OSU again, and if they win then we definitely aren't getting it.