Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

nope we’re playing reforged with classic graphics enabled (hd=0 in the prefs file). we still get mana bars, hero levels, and earned exp popups. the reforged beta ladder is entirely separate, though they did promise that the actual classic clients would be on the same ladder as reforged eventually (i’m skeptical).

and yeah the death knight thing is definitely because of the female model, but in the previous patch it worked! classic gfx would see the male model with a female name, but it wouldn’t make sounds. even weirder, classic gfx can see female demon hunters just fine in this patch. pretty weird regression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

It's a bug. From my understanding they added new female death knight models with the new graphics, but didnt account for the old graphics not having those. So the game cant find a model to render and thus interact with.

Which is amazing. How could that not have been tested before release?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

uniball posted:

they did promise that the actual classic clients would be on the same ladder as reforged eventually (i’m skeptical).
I'm wondering if this ties into my inability to play it now. I can't figure out any other reason that the game would become unplayable on a laptop made within the last 6 years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doc Walrus posted:

Which is amazing. How could that not have been tested before release?

Its still in beta, but yeah seems pretty obvious lol

E: remember when Blizzard products were super polished?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its still in beta, but yeah seems pretty obvious lol

E: remember when Blizzard products were super polished?

So this comes up a lot but was this ever really a thing? World of Warcraft was an absolute unfinished mess at launch and, from what I've heard of Warcraft III (mostly from a friend's recent playthrough), it sounds like that game is kind of janky as well - although that could just be the game showing its age.

I'm not very familiar with Diablo II or Starcraft, so maybe that's where it comes from?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zinkraptor posted:

So this comes up a lot but was this ever really a thing? World of Warcraft was an absolute unfinished mess at launch and, from what I've heard of Warcraft III (mostly from a friend's recent playthrough), it sounds like that game is kind of janky as well - although that could just be the game showing its age.

I'm not very familiar with Diablo II or Starcraft, so maybe that's where it comes from?

Their record is about 50/50 for it starting off good or just being good from the start. Starcraft balance was pretty wonky before the expansion for instance. Warcraft 3 was one of their solid at release games.

That said, this looks like it'll be a dumpster fire at launch and won't get extended support like a new game would so I doubt it will ever be anything but destroying a game people loved. Literally. To play warcraft 3 without the last couple of patches that broke things requires going out and pirating an old version or getting used disks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blizzard is "janky" in a vacuum, when not compared with pretty much any other MMO or games that come out wrong all the time and never get right

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
WoW was a sleek masterpiece at launch when compared to every competitor. That’s a very low bar but MMOs were so big compared to every other game they got graded on a curve.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Zinkraptor posted:

What people tend to forget is that Blizzard would provide YEARS of support for games and had a super great bases that needed to be tweaked but their games were just so much more thought out than most games on the market at the time. Sure WoW was a tad...buggy? at launch but they literally reshaped the MMO genre and the capabilities of open world gaming and given the size of the product some bugs were inevitable. I mean, think about how big WoW was/is at time of launch and the care they put into making zones and making them feel different.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zinkraptor posted:

Yes, it absolutely was, its just WoW was when it ended. Maybe you're too young :corsair:

The thing is Blizzard increased in employee size TENFOLD over the course of WoW's development. They were a different company after that.

Blizz games were always super polished compared to other games of the era, and the fact that they didn't release lord of the clans or Ghost were seen as a HUGE deal compared to the rest of the industry.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Flayer posted:

Why are like 90% of the new icons duller than the originals? Really don't understand that at all. The old icons are in general considerably brighter and more readable as a result.

The only explanation I can think of is some dickhead in a boardroom demanded the icons be redone for some bullshit corporate reason. (Revamp the Warcraft 3 brand! Build brand engagement with the target demographic! Net an increase in icon click metrics! etc etc). And of course outsourced it to cut costs and make a ridiculous deadline.

Zaphod42 posted:

lord of the clans

Woah that's a blast from the past right there.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Muscular Typist posted:

Woah that's a blast from the past right there.

Fun fact, you can find a completely playable 99%ish done leak of the game's files online nowadays. I guess whoever made that longplay must have finally uploaded them somewhere. I played a little bit of it. It's... fine, but also like peak adventure game obtuseness. The second or third puzzle in the whole game requires timing and order shenanigans, doesn't even bother to start you off gently with use X on Y stuff. By far the best part is watching Thrall Guybrush Threepwood it up. Even the visual style is basically just "Curse of Monkey Island, but Warcraft."

I think the only thing missing is the ending cutscene and maybe one or two lines of voicework/animation. Like you can fully play the game to the end. Reportedly it's not even really buggy or easy to softlock yourself. That game was like... done done when it got cancelled. I kind of see why they canceled it, but I honestly don't think it was because it was bad so much as P&C adventure games were in A State at the time as a genre and the general writing just did not fit Warcraft very well, including what would come later. The tone is closer to a WoW sidequest in one of the less serious zones than a main entry that bridges 2 and 3. The best way I can describe it is if someone made something like Warcraft: The Abridged Series.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 29, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I think we can all agree that Thrall would be a much better character if they kept his "rear end in a top hat point-and-click protagonist" characterization instead of the generic savior he is now.

One part that stuck out to me is when Thrall comes across a groups of Shattered Hand orcs in a camp. All but one have traded their prosthetics to Zul'jin (who is now a scummy salesman running a trading post for reasons I do not understand and likely never will) in exchange for alcohol and money for gambling, while the only orc who still has his prosthetic loudly expresses his anger and disappointment in them for essentially trading away their honor. So, obviously, you need to figure out a way to get their prosthetics back from Zul'jin so they'll help you later.

JUST KIDDING, you have to get the others to forcibly take the last guy's prosthetic and give it to you, so you can trade it to Zul'jin for a book. If I'm remembering correctly, this is never addressed again.

Thrall in Lord of the Clans is just a bad person most of the time and I love it. There's an area where you can find a dead body and if you examine their shield Thrall just disdainfully says "looks like he wasn't very good with it."

That all being said, the game as a whole look pretty bad, even by the standards of the time (it was canceled in 1998 AKA the year Grim Fandango came out) so what happened was probably for the best.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 29, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ, no wonder the Shattered Hand was so pissy in Hellfire Peninsula, that's maybe the most hosed up thing I've ever heard of in WarCraft.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zinkraptor posted:

That all being said, the game as a whole look pretty bad, even by the standards of the time (it was canceled in 1998 AKA the year Grim Fandango came out) so what happened was probably for the best.

The graphics were drawn by the Mario Hotel/Link and Zelda Philips CD-i guys, wasn't it? It's surprising I've never seen it used for YTPs.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Zaphod42 posted:

Direct comparisons:

IDK what's up with the portraits, the actual 3D animated ones look mostly fine but the static 2D portraits used for players or hero icons look awful, like somebody did some weird photoshop pass on them and made them all look airbrushed

Are there multiple variants of the Paladin? Because this HD variant is actually tolerable, unlike the cop one.

I agree most of the HD icons are worse than the originals or sidegrades at best. Almost none are better. Wonder if it'll be possible to play with HD graphics on but the original icons. What they should do is let people review each icon individually to get a better perspective on which ones to redo.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eregos posted:

Are there multiple variants of the Paladin? Because this HD variant is actually tolerable, unlike the cop one.

I agree most of the HD icons are worse than the originals or sidegrades at best. Almost none are better. Wonder if it'll be possible to play with HD graphics on but the original icons. What they should do is let people review each icon individually to get a better perspective on which ones to redo.

Yes, there are multiple new paladin models. That in the quote post is the new Uther model. All the named Paladins Arthas slaughters in the Undead campaign are also getting new, unique models. It is entirely possible that you'll get the ability to reskin your MP hero model to a campaign variant.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I just realized what the new Paladin portrait reminded me of:

Identical facial structure, the only actual difference is that the Paladin took his chinbeard and put it on his head like a loving Wooly Willy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eregos posted:

That's just Uther specifically I think

Kith posted:

like a loving Wooly Willy.

lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
:same:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

are you enjoying this broken rear end beta, but wish you could read sick rear end chatlogs like these over and over again?

quote:

(37:10 / All) Darterrius: shut the gently caress up you stupid goddamned trolls. rofl. congratulations on turtling a 4v4 map and abusing teleport items.
(37:13 / All) Darterrius has left the game

quote:

(44:43 / All) DireRaven: u guys are fuckin boring cause of people like u no one is playing wc3 anymore...
(44:46 / All) DireRaven has left the game

well, Clan Towa presents: highper.ch

as far as we know it's the only working Reforged replay site in the world! iggy worked behind the scenes and around the clock to build that classic highper.ch functionality you know and love, plus some fresh new unique features to cement highper.ch's position as the #1 tower replay site for another 12 years

by the way you can't actually watch any replays in the game yet. just look at the stats & chats and smile. good luck getting crowns! 👑

to celebrate the launch, check out one of the Reverse Gilderbases we did today (replay)

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really wanna but this remake but a)its 40 dollars for something i owned many years ago and b)blizzard aint a very good company anymore.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

uniball posted:

well, Clan Towa presents: highper.ch

as far as we know it's the only working Reforged replay site in the world! iggy worked behind the scenes and around the clock to build that classic highper.ch functionality you know and love, plus some fresh new unique features to cement highper.ch's position as the #1 tower replay site for another 12 years

The site looks really great overall, but

Could the Documentation page be less piss-flavored please

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kith posted:

absolutely not

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kith posted:

Reminds me of my "dark green text on black" myspace page.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
Thanks, there's an important legacy to uphold on the AoH but some of the text colors got lost along the way.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I've had Art of Highperch bookmarked for several years and I bring it up during Level Design discussions to stress how much players can abuse edge cases. I'm excited y'all updated the site because now it's much more readable on mobile.

Which, incidentally:

The Art of Highperch posted:

We still sometimes wonder why Blizzard's map creators even put them there, because there is neither easy access nor strategic value to these mountains.

Highperch is from an era where map designers were experimenting with pushing specific unit compositions based on terrain features. Highperch in particular is trying to emphasize heavy air compositions by putting the fountains where only air units can get to them.

Kith fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 3, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Kith posted:

Please use the inverse of the background color for text, thanks in adcance.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Tubgoat posted:

Please use the inverse of the background color for text, thanks in adcance.

yellow background with purple fonts, you got it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kith posted:

Highperch is from an era where map designers were experimenting with pushing specific unit compositions based on terrain features. Highperch in particular is trying to emphasize heavy air compositions by putting the fountains where only air units can get to them.

This is interesting. Mapmaking in WC3 was as much about trying out random poo poo as it was about competitive play. Some maps are clearly intended for “taking a match seriously” and others were more... loose.

At the time they probably thought that people would play the fountains like some sort of weird control point and it’d help with healing up before an air-only push, or act as a staging point for air-based harasses. Instead it’s just completely ignored until the fine people at highperch determined how to win 100%.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

a new patch for the beta!

it’s still pretty messed up (classic graphics desyncs are the most noticeable for us), but at least female death knights are visible and clickable now.

grid keys are now selectable but they break shift-queuing commands. keep using the trusty old customkeys.txt you got from a dota forum in 2006.

they added a Skins system, which currently has default-enabled optional female DK/DH plus four campaign versions of heroes that are Spoils of War only.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Zillions magazine posted:

yellow background with purple fonts, you got it

Literally an improvement.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the amount of rage over female hero model variants is giving me a migraine

videogames delenda est

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Kith posted:

the amount of rage over female hero model variants is giving me a migraine

videogames delenda est

In fairness, an invisible unclickable hero unit gives players an unfair advantage, imho.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

that's not at all why people are complaining about female models

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

time for a joke posted:

that's not at all why people are complaining about female models

Why couldn't you just let me have this? :negative:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Tubgoat posted:

In fairness, an invisible unclickable hero unit gives players an unfair advantage, imho.

BLIZZARD: Here's female hero models!
GAMERS: We don't want to see female hero models!
BLIZZARD:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Doc Walrus posted:

GAMERS: We don't want to see females

:hmmyes:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It is odd none of the human heroes were changed.

BM should definitely be made a girl character for maximum salt. Have her voice lines be about hataroi blades and glitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

you get a Jaina archmage skin with the deluxe edition