Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Its Coke posted:

maclunkey

From the bottom of my heart, Thank you for posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Schwarzwald posted:

Sometimes an Egyptian is basically a good guy and other times they are being controlled by the Nazis and it's OK to kill them if you have to. Does Raider's of the Lost Ark present the Egyptians as people?

Here's a different example: the humans in Alien are automated to the extent that they lie dormant until deployed and are remotely controlled by M.O.T.H.E.R. aboard something called a Nostromo. Does Alien present humans as being people? Can one discern a mind or personality from "Ripley?"

You're arbitrarily holding the droids to an impossible level of scrutiny.

Raiders barely presents Egyptians as people. Mostly, they're just exotic background filler.

It's quite a stretch to say the humans are remotely controlled by MOTHER. They clearly exhibit an independent will. The battle droids don't, or at least I can't remember them doing so. But much more significantly, Ripley says and does many things from which one can discern a mind or personality. She is much more than a box on two feet that periodically lets out a monotone "gonk" sound.

Allow me some counter questions Is a mouse droid a person? What about that rolling thing with all the arms that the Jawas have to sell? What about droidekas? Is BB8 a person or more like a really clever pet?

I won't deny that droids are consistently presented as being alive. I won't even deny that most of the named droids are consistently presented as being people or at least close enough to people to deserve being empathized with as if they were. But when it comes to how droids are treated and whether or not that is right or wrong, the movies begin to get inconsistent. Slavery is called out as an explicitly evil thing, but many of the explicitly good people possess droids as basically slaves. Wiping their memories appears to be a common and unproblematic practice. Casting aside damaged droids or destroying them arbitrarily frightens other droids, but nobody else really bats an eye at it.

But also, let me step back, and then I'll drop this: the broader point is that it's silly to hang one's reading of the prequels on 3PO being "killed" when he isn't actually killed and what is done to him isn't actually presented as an evil act.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

How does this keep happening

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

How does this keep happening

Oh man, I don't know if you're referring to this particular discussion or me becoming a pedantic poo poo like I did back in my 40K thread days (which was the behavior that made me force myself away from the forums for so long). Either way, thanks. You made me pause and reconsider.

Captain Jesus posted:

Of course droids aren't really people, because they are fictional beings. They are people in the Star Wars universe though and the fact they are sometimes not treated as people by other characters is not an example of inconsistent storytelling, but part of the story.

Legit thanks for pointing out the obvious here because in my zeal to argue my position, I was missing the forest for the trees and unfairly characterizing the variety of droids and the ways in which they're treated as inconsistent. In my mind, I was resting on the idea that I didn't really give a poo poo about gonk droids until Jedi asked me to sympathize with one by showing the poor thing get tortured. That's not inconsistency. That's just how stories work.

I still don't think mind wiping 3PO at the end of Sith is some indictment of the Rebellion or its goals, but that's not because of any inconsistency in the narrative, and I was being silly to argue so.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Star Wars Spoiler thread: 9000 posts later we are at consensus on at least one issue

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

No Mods No Masters posted:

Star Wars Spoiler thread: 9000 posts later we are at consensus on at least one issue

They're all the same issue if you think about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

That's not true. It's impossible.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I don't like replies. It's all coarse, and rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Father! The Sleeper has awakened!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I know now why you make bad posts, but it's something I can never do.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I mean, I was always on the more "Droids don't work the same as organics" side of the argument but everyone here just kinda forgot. Cnut is some kinda thread bogeyman meanwhile no one will even buy me red text calling a Droid racist or whatever.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I mean, I was always on the more "Droids don't work the same as organics" side of the argument but everyone here just kinda forgot.

Yeah, I don't think that's in question, but I'll cop to resting a whole lot of bullshit on it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

YaketySass posted:

They're all the same issue if you think about it.

Just double checking to make sure, it's whether star wars fans like star wars, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I like Starwars and I like cold beverage.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Indiana Jones is himself of inconsistent personhood, because at some points it is morally acceptable to crush him with a boulder & at others we help him escape on a seaplane.

Another inconsistency: the seaplane has a snake in it.

Maybe it was a sea snake...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wonder if they’ve locked picture yet :thunk:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JJ said last week that the movie had just been finished. However, I choose not to believe him

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

commando in tophat posted:

Anybody knows why the guys making The Mandalorian weren't hired to make main trilogy? I just saw 4 episodes of that and it seems so much better than "a death star but bigger", "mystery snoke, ok, now he's dead, oh well" and "oh hey, let's bring palps back for no reason"
Because John Favreau was busy making movies for Marvel at the time, along with other film and TV projects:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0269463/

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

JJ said last week that the movie had just been finished. However, I choose not to believe him

JJ lied. Khan survived.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

I mean, I was always on the more "Droids don't work the same as organics" side of the argument but everyone here just kinda forgot. Cnut is some kinda thread bogeyman meanwhile no one will even buy me red text calling a Droid racist or whatever.

You already have the generic racist avatar so it seems redundant.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Droids are alive but life is cheap in the star wars, especially life that can be mass produced. Or if you're not a named character in a major release.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Its Coke posted:

maclunkey

And a fine Maclunkey to you too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PeterWeller posted:

Oh man, I don't know if you're referring to this particular discussion or me becoming a pedantic poo poo like I did back in my 40K thread days (which was the behavior that made me force myself away from the forums for so long). Either way, thanks. You made me pause and reconsider.

Legit thanks for pointing out the obvious here because in my zeal to argue my position, I was missing the forest for the trees and unfairly characterizing the variety of droids and the ways in which they're treated as inconsistent. In my mind, I was resting on the idea that I didn't really give a poo poo about gonk droids until Jedi asked me to sympathize with one by showing the poor thing get tortured. That's not inconsistency. That's just how stories work.

I still don't think mind wiping 3PO at the end of Sith is some indictment of the Rebellion or its goals, but that's not because of any inconsistency in the narrative, and I was being silly to argue so.

I meant the discussion, I always liked you in the distant 40k posting days, whatever that side site we had was called

Good on you for listening and changing your mind on the internet tho

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Actually are all the droids sapient in the EU and such? Some could be clever and social but still just machines, like TARS in interstellar

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is TARS dead?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shaocaholica posted:

Is TARS dead?

TARS is literally there at the end of the film. gently caress knows for CASE

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Captain Splendid posted:

Lol that's dedication. Da gently caress is that one person split at the groin?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

my favorite character in the starwar is Obi Ben Wan Kenobi portayed by great actor Ewan McClunkey

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol that's dedication. Da gently caress is that one person split at the groin?

its probably basically the same setup as the film: the puppeteer is behind the robot

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

And a fine Maclunkey to you too

[Father and son sit at table in the year 2250]

Father: 3...2...1... Maclunkey!

[Father and son simultaneously shoot confetti at each other. They share a laugh.]

Son: Dad, how did Maclunkey Day start?

Father: Nobody remembers, son. And now, as per Maclunkey Day tradition, let's watch Titan AE

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Captain Splendid posted:

Case is seen with Anne Hathaway on her planet at the end

Droids are clearly people :colbert:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

TARS and CASE were great characters. Almost as good as the all time best fictional robot, R2D2.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
TARS is both the wise-cracking Marine in the sci-fi team, and also the super useful robot. He fills two niches, R2D2 really can't compete.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That also describes Artoo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mulva posted:

TARS is both the wise-cracking Marine in the sci-fi team, and also the super useful robot. He fills two niches, R2D2 really can't compete.

Have you even watched a Star War?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
R2D2 never served in the American military, he does not have my support :colbert:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

R2D2 also fucks a lot while TARS is volcel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Vague details supposedly from Trevorrow's script got posted to reddit

quote:

The Trevorrow Episode 9

Rey's mom was going to be the Solo's nanny/maid.

Rey and Ben were basically going to be brother and sister

The First Order had mindwipe techology. (Hence nobody remembering Rey & Ben grew up together)

The First Order's plan involved Manchurian Candidate-ing people with the mindwipe technology

Leia still dies

The dynamic between Rey & Kylo was nothing more than "BE EVIL WITH ME" "NO!" "COME ON, BE EVIL WITH ME" "NO!"

Kylo still gets redemption, but mostly because of nostalgia for his childhood home, where the climax of the movie happens.

So, looking at this, it appears he's going to get a story by credit because of the introduction of Leia's lightsaber, and the Sith/Red stormtroopers got carried over.