Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I like 5/3/1, it’s simple for beginners but still effective for those who’ve been lifting a while. It’s also quick and there are some great spreadsheets out there that will tell you exactly what to lift each set and adjust to your progress.

5/3/1 is designed for experienced lifters, which is why it's still effective for those people. It may be a little slow for someone starting out, but it's also not particularly taxing, which makes it appealing for a cross-training routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Any recommendations for a kettlebell routine or kettlebell instructional youtube links? I have two KBs and I need to start using them instead of using them as paper weights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:lol: You guys got me all self-conscious about my lifts and I psyched myself out on my deadlift today. Was aiming for 2 reps on the top weight and couldn't get the second one up.

This chat has made me decide to switch the routine up a bit after today, reducing weight and increasing reps a bit for a while.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

:lol: You guys got me all self-conscious about my lifts and I psyched myself out on my deadlift today. Was aiming for 2 reps on the top weight and couldn't get the second one up.

This chat has made me decide to switch the routine up a bit after today, reducing weight and increasing reps a bit for a while.

Dead rows are your new best friend.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Any recommendations for a kettlebell routine or kettlebell instructional youtube links? I have two KBs and I need to start using them instead of using them as paper weights.

The basic recommendation is Simple and Sinister, which is what I'm doing. It's two movements, the swing and the get up, and it takes like 20 minutes per day. You graduate the program when you're doing ten sets of ten of one hand swings with 32kg and 5 reps each side get up with 32kg in a certain time. (the weight standard for women is different but I don't remember it). You don't worry about the time till you get to the 32 kg then you start getting the time tighter, so I actually don't remember the time limit for graduating the program. Weight is melting off of me (that's mostly diet) and I don't perceive any loss of strength.

If you can stand Pavel's comunist superman gimmick (personally I loving love it) you can find the entire Enter the Kettlebell instructional DVD on youtube. If you'd prefer something more straightforward, find any link from StrongFirst or RKC, as those are the main kettlebell fitness organizations. Or, get an instructor certified by one of those organizations for like 2-3 classes to go over the movements. If you post form check's on reddit or whatever you'll basically get nothing decent from them.

There's also another way to train kettlebells, which is the "sport style" but I don't know much about it. The movements are a bit "easier" because you use more of the bell's momentum to bring it back up, but in competition you do them for like, 10 loving minutes straight. Either the "fitness" style or the "sport" style should help with BJJ I'd think.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 2, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh and if we're going to talk about basic barbell programs, I had more luck on they Greyskull LP than on SS. Honestly, any version of the basic linear progression will be fantastically helpful for someone new to weights.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone ever buy a rashguard or other no gi stuff on AliExpress?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ll second Pavel.

When I first started getting into kb I grabbed several workouts from “funk Roberts” on YouTube but that was years ago so I don’t know how he is now.

One of my go-to’s when I haven’t really planned anything or feel like getting elaborate is just a minute of jump rope followed by a minute of a kb exercise for however long I want the workout to be

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I dunno if I've mentioned this before and it's sorta off topic to grappling specific lifting but I've founds the content of Athlean X's Youtube videos to be excellent. I've worked a lot of his stuff into my routines:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24/videos

He breaks everything down very well for a beginner to understand and some of the more advanced concepts make a lot of sense.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Phil Daru on YouTube has a ton of grappling specific workout advice. I believe he is the head S&C coach at one of the major mma gyms

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Dead rows are your new best friend.

Looked em up. Might try em out and replace the deads with them, though I wonder how useful the deadlift component could be with row weight. It looks like, on average, a 1rm row is like 60% of a deadlift, which means that if I'm doing multiple reps I'll be at like... 35% of my deadlift weight or something. That doesn't seem like much.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ive used wish.com to order rashguards and tights and apart from showing up anywhere from 8 to 60 days after ordering have not had any serious issues with quality.

7$ for some neon leggings is hard to beat.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Ive used wish.com to order rashguards and tights and apart from showing up anywhere from 8 to 60 days after ordering have not had any serious issues with quality.

I always get ads for Wish.com that show women with huge asses in tights. I often wonder if they think I'm a woman with a huge rear end looking for tights, or if they just think "hey this will get his attention." (it does get my attention.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Where can my buddy get nogi shorts in sizes above 40?

Edit: size 44-46

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 3, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

I dunno if I've mentioned this before and it's sorta off topic to grappling specific lifting but I've founds the content of Athlean X's Youtube videos to be excellent. I've worked a lot of his stuff into my routines:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24/videos

He breaks everything down very well for a beginner to understand and some of the more advanced concepts make a lot of sense.

I second this. The thumbnails and presentation seem click-baity (I guesss it is), but the content is always very solid. He's all about dynamic movement and training for sport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hellblazer187 posted:

I had some show up with a women's cut/waistband.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp. My entire team at my gym decided they weren't doing the tournament so now I have to decide if I want to go to a tournament 2+ hr bus ride away for potentially 2 matches in absolute as there are nobody else in my divisions.

Think not going is a solid option due to how much of a ballache it'll be to get there without a car.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Where can my buddy get nogi shorts in sizes above 40?

Edit: size 44-46

Probably easiest to just wear gi pants at no gi day. That's what I do at 38-40. Another option might be to go to Walmart and get some board shorts that aren't BJJ specific.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Yuns buddies company makes big no-gi shorts, Optimal Human is the name https://optimal-human.com/

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Anyone competing in NAGA Maryland next Saturday?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Waroduce posted:

BBJHQ and MMAHQ are also good for BJJ-related brands at a reduced price. My girlfriend and I had some bad luck going for the cheap route with nogi gear.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jerome Louis posted:

Yuns buddies company makes big no-gi shorts, Optimal Human is the name https://optimal-human.com/

I wanted to buy optimal human but the amazon page for their shorts tops out at 40 and my man needs like a 44 or 46. AMA about the pressure curve his side controll gained over the first 6 months.

I'll dig around the optimal human inventory some more.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Might compete in a judo tournament this weekend. I like that it's low-effort for prep and I can just show up and dick around, but the fact that I'll be competing against provincial/national team hopefuls who are literally half my age is a downside. Also a bit of pressure not to look like a dingus now that I'm showing up wearing a black belt.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Some extremely well executed BJJ:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5nh4z1ph7Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Nothing is super exotic when you break it down:

The sweep; the sit back; the rolling back take; the transition from back to armbar are all individually well known and common but it's all executed in such a wonderfully flowing manner.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

The sweep; the sit back; the rolling back take; the transition from back to armbar are all individually well known and common but it's all executed in such a wonderfully flowing manner.

that was so loving perfect it looked like one of those aikido gun disarms but instead of a highly rehearsed dance of learned ignorance with a pliable idiot it was instead executed in competition on a fully resisting person who could twist the head off of 98% of the population of earth in under a minute.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

Holy crap that's slick.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Yuns posted:

That guy had a seminar at my club just a few weeks before I started training again ;(

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Looks like Oliver Taza started doing a podcast. Ep 1 is on youtube, where he and another guy do a match breakdown.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, seems ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbLjg6tEQOI

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

This is great, thanks. Started today.

Would you know of a similar type of workout with dumbells? Don't have space at home for a bench. Cheers.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Count Roland posted:

Looks like Oliver Taza started doing a podcast. Ep 1 is on youtube, where he and another guy do a match breakdown.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, seems ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbLjg6tEQOI

Pierre-Olivier Aubin Mercier. He's another really good Tristar guy that hasn't had the accolades Taza has from the general public yet.

The backgroud you see in the vid is the gym I go to. Mizu Bjj, great spot in Montreal.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yuns posted:

Yuns the rolling back take, it doesn't look like from what I can see he has the hook before he rolls? Or am I missing some detail, it's a really neat looking move.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

This is great, thanks. Started today.

Would you know of a similar type of workout with dumbells? Don't have space at home for a bench. Cheers.

In theory, basically every barbell specific exercise can be replicated with dumbbells. I'd defer back to Athlean X for different exercises if that's what you need though:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=athlean+x+dumbbell+workout

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks dude

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

flashman posted:

Yuns the rolling back take, it doesn't look like from what I can see he has the hook before he rolls? Or am I missing some detail, it's a really neat looking move.
The rolling back take is worth learning because you can hit it from multiple positions. He hits the sweep comes up toward mount but his opponent tries for the ashi. He brings his elbow to his knee to prevent his opponent from locking in the ashi then pushes on his opponent's legs then back steps to switch base. At this point he doesn't have the hook. You see him lift his hips off the mat and even though the angle doesn't show it I believe this allows him to hook his near leg into opponent's near leg then roll forward over his far shoulder on the far side of his opponent's body and then switch that hook to the other leg

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 4, 2019

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The near leg to near leg hook is what I was missing.. I will have to find a breakdown of rolling back takes and ask professor to work it next class, thanks for the details.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I haven't thrown a punch in a decade but there's a new mma gym with some real talent behind it opening up near me & I feel the call of the scrap

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

DOJO STORM!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Quick question for my white and blue friends here: Does anyone else feel like rolling with brown belts is absolutely the most demanding physically? Are all brown belts just loving obnoxiously strong? Is just this something that I'm experiencing?

I feel like I can tell the difference between rolling with purple, brown, or black belts. And brown belts are by far the least pleasant.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Hellblazer187 posted:

Quick question for my white and blue friends here: Does anyone else feel like rolling with brown belts is absolutely the most demanding physically? Are all brown belts just loving obnoxiously strong? Is just this something that I'm experiencing?

I feel like I can tell the difference between rolling with purple, brown, or black belts. And brown belts are by far the least pleasant.

As a brown belt, I feel like there's a lot of poo poo I'm still working on that requires me to go just a bit harder than the black belts, especially against the more game or larger guys. I'm also a 200 lb guy with decent lifts and heavy hips though so if you're smaller than that it's gonna feel like a ton of bricks. And then there's the 280 purple belt we have who can literally just grab my hands and put them wherever he wants, and is practically unchokable even in demos. There's levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kemah, TX

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 5, 2019