Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Necrothatcher posted:

drat, which part of London are you in? Want to get on this.

I'm not in London I'm in South Wales! That's just the server the speed test thingy connected to. And I'm on the ground floor of a small block of flats so surrounded by buildings on 3 sides (but a river and field on the 4th).

Catte Taxe:

Since my last page snipe, the heating repair person has been. (This catte, Meggie, is blind).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nah that's just hiding in plain sight, you know he's antisemitic because he's showing he genuinely cares

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
You love to see it. What was his original tweet that made him twitter's main character?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
severe lowtax energy

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1202189014666817536?s=20

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OSlU8lYwH0

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's a "funny cause it's so stupid" word, but I wouldn't use it in real life. Most of my best mates are wee folk, the only real difference is that they don't hit their head getting off the bus, and can fit in a plane seat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I still love that Long Island bagel racist short guy that went viral a while back this year and the woman they sent to interview this poor 4'10" or whatever dude was a 6'3" woman

I say poor guy but he was a real shitbag so I don't feel sorry for him outside of the cruelty of sending the tallest woman they had on hand.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
lmao at her bad case of Canadian/bus mouth

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The brain's ability to adapt to new patterns of thought rapidly goes downhill after the age of 20, it's why people are so desperate to cram as much educating* into teenagers before that age.

I'm not sure this is true, it sounds a lot like the Critical Age Hypothesis in language learning and a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me that neuroplasticity is generally considered to continue through adulthood.

I remember reading an article in New Scientist that talked about how a professor with advanced dementia kept lucidity way beyond the norm because his job and hobbies meant that his brain was constantly rewiring itself around the loss of gray matter. So environment seems to be a key factor in how used to adapting to new thought patterns one is.

It's true kids learn very fast, but is that because of their environment or is it a biological reality? Hard to say. It's probably combination of the two, and so if we can create material conditions that enable lifelong learning then we might be surprised at the number of geniuses that emerge.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

genuinely hate NATO more than trump, it's not even close

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got to 5'6" at the age of 10 then just stopped growing, so I was a giant for a little while and then just short for the rest of my life.

I never really notice it except when I leave work at the same time as the local secondary lets out and I have to pick my way through mobs of impossibly towering 11-16 year olds on the way home.

I got shouted at for walking out into the road once by one of their teachers because I was wearing a polo shirt roughly the same shade as their uniform one, and they clocked that before they clocked the beard and tattoos (and the fact I'm in my 30s).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TBH I think so long as you haven't lost your compassion/empathy, your politics can change. My politics have changed quite dramatically from sort of "centrist dad that quite likes the NHS and thinks people that need them should get benefits" type to "guillotine the cunts and nationalise everything now" within the last couple of years, most of that since discovering UKMT and some other truths.

e: In hindsight I hadn't yet made the connection between capitalism and conditions for those worse off and put it down to Tories are cunts that cut benefits, so I wanted a Labour government but my retirement plans still involved thoughts of "reasonably landlording". Making the direct connection from capitalism as a concept directly to those that are suffering is what made the "click" for me. The rest was just dealing with ignorance of things outside my own bubble (as my trans meltdown/re-education serves as a stellar example).

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 4, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

they clocked the beard and tattoos (and the fact I'm in my 30s).

Kids these days are hard, you wouldn't know for sure

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I'm never conscious about my height (what with being average) until I walk past a good 50 14 year olds in a row who all dwarf me. And even then it's more like "god drat it, mogged by the yoofs"

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Bundy posted:

TBH I think so long as you haven't lost your compassion/empathy, your politics can change. My politics have changed quite dramatically from sort of "centrist dad that quite likes the NHS and thinks people that need them should get benefits" type to "guillotine the cunts and nationalise everything now" within the last couple of years, most of that since discovering UKMT and some other truths.

Very much this. I've posted a lot in the past on the journey I took from being pretty goddamned far to the right (I was a full-on libertarian up until my thirties, and this place is the main reason I swung so hard in the opposite direction).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
When I was young and I suddenly shot up to 5,10 and grew a beard over the summer between year 6 and year 7. I have remained this way ever since and all my friends who I once towered over are now 6 foot and higher. I have experienced both worlds and it has been pleasant.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I love this av.

VideoGames posted:

When I was young and I suddenly shot up to 5,10 and grew a beard over the summer between year 6 and year 7. I have remained this way ever since and all my friends who I once towered over are now 6 foot and higher. I have experienced both worlds and it has been pleasant.
___________/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hahahaha he's absolutely bricking it that trump might insult him

quote:

According to Joe Murphy and Nicholas Cecil in the Evening Standard, No 10 sources have been keen to insist that Boris Johnson was not one of the world leaders joking about Donald Trump at the reception last night. Here is an extract from their story.

quote:

Downing Street quickly made clear that Mr Johnson had not been involved in any laughing about any disruption caused by the US President’s press conference, which was held at the American ambassador’s residence in Regent’s Park yesterday morning.

A senior source said: “The prime minister was hosting and engaging with world leaders. It is others that were having the conversations and Boris certainly was not leading, as can be seen from the clip.

“You did not see any commentary from him except for an innocent question as to why one was late.”

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Braggart posted:

*Yes, there is short man syndrome

I think you might be conceding too much here even. There is a large group of people (women) who are shorter on average than others (men) and we all know how they're described if they're assertive - I reckon a similar thing happens to short men. Meanwhile all really huge people have to do is not hit people and everyone fawns over how 'gentle' they are. Which is particularly annoying when they get to dominate conversations with their great booming voices too.

Not that I have a chip on my (low) shoulder or anything.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

VideoGames posted:

You just need to eat more large people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

I think you might be conceding too much here even. There is a large group of people (women) who are shorter on average than others (men) and we all know how they're described if they're assertive - I reckon a similar thing happens to short men. Meanwhile all really huge people have to do is not hit people and everyone fawns over how 'gentle' they are. Which is particularly annoying when they get to dominate conversations with their great booming voices too.

I'm not sure why but I have one such voice. It's very useful but does mean my conversational volume is audible through multiple walls unless I consciously dampen.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
thread needs to pull up before we become an incel community.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I used to play handball as a goalkeeper (and was pretty good at it), but being only 6 feet made me a bit depressed (handball players are tall)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

vol cel gang

vol cel gang

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bundy posted:

I love this av.

We develop new principles for the world out of the world’s own principles. We do not say to the world: Cease your struggles, they are foolish; we will give you the true slogan of struggle. We merely show the world what it is really fighting for, and consciousness is something that it has to acquire, even if it does not want to.
___________/

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not sure why but I have one such voice. It's very useful but does mean my conversational volume is audible through multiple walls unless I consciously dampen.

If you talk from the chest rather than the throat you will naturally tend to project your voice.

I just tried it and realised my throat voice sounds weird as hell.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Got my postal vote today lads :toot:

Have done the customary triple check to make sure I've not hosed up the complicated procedure of drawing an X in a box

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

We develop new principles for the world out of the world’s own principles. We do not say to the world: Cease your struggles, they are foolish; we will give you the true slogan of struggle. We merely show the world what it is really fighting for, and consciousness is something that it has to acquire, even if it does not want to.
___________/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnEAH5wCzo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Which is particularly annoying when they get to dominate conversations with their great booming voices too.

Do tall people have booming voices? I just sound like a mumbling Irish nerd

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Oh dear me posted:

I think you might be conceding too much here even. There is a large group of people (women) who are shorter on average than others (men) and we all know how they're described if they're assertive - I reckon a solar thing happens to short men. Meanwhile all really huge people have to do is not hit people and everyone fawns over how 'gentle' they are. Which is particularly annoying when they get to dominate conversations with their great booming voices too.

Absolutely. I was purely using a term people are familiar with and not trying to be exclusionary. Women are not taken seriously by so many people in their lives all the time, so it's unsurprising that it can leave them a bit raw about it. And there's always uncertainty about precisely why some smug bastard is being condescending. It it sexism? Is it about stature? Are they just an arrogant prick? Is it a combination of all of these (yes)?

I am a short person with a big booming voice. Sometimes that surprises people :D

(But I try to only use my powers for good! I try to let everyone speak, and sometimes I even shut down people who are intentionally dominating a conversation in favour of those who are less confident in their speaking. Not that I'm looking for kudos for that - it's just the right thing to do if I am capable of it :) )

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

this stuff about them all gathering around their cocktails and making fun of the gauche american president makes me hate them all even more tbh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Purple Prince posted:

If you talk from the chest rather than the throat you will naturally tend to project your voice.

I just tried it and realised my throat voice sounds weird as hell.

Oh yeah I know the mechanics of why - I push from the diaphragm whereas most people tend to go lung. I'm just not sure why I ended up doing it given it's more of a singing technique and I have a trauma-related inability to sing in front of people.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do tall people have booming voices? I just sound like a mumbling Irish nerd

I'm 6'2" with like a 48" chest (so broad as well as tall) and I have a weirdly high-pitched voice. Though that's probably down to residual poshness as much as anything else.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

TACD posted:

It’s the age-old defence of “We’re not lying, we’re just incompetent”

The Starscream defence
https://youtu.be/eTEBJBESCo4

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think there is an argument to be made that language spoken has an effect on depth of voice. Not one I can make at the moment though, but now I'm curious about studies...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh yeah this guy exists https://twitter.com/sebastiansalek/status/1202164071698718723

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Camrath posted:

I'm 6'2" with like a 48" chest (so broad as well as tall)

Weird Bowflex but ok

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tesseraction posted:

hahahaha he's absolutely bricking it that trump might insult him
Incredibly on brand behaviour for colossal chickenshit Joris Bohnson :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm 6'2" and I think it's about the only thing that let me have some confidence at all growing up.