Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SpaceCadetBob posted:

How does a warehouse that size not have a dock to drive that thing off of? WTF

The question I have is, which guy was the REAL forklift driver? Or was he supposed to be in the middle lording over the other two drivers but called in sick (he's actually out fishing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

schmug posted:

holy poo poo. How?

A car falling from 15m would impact the ground at about 60km/h. The driver was lucky to impact the ground nose-first, which is close to the sort of collisions cars are designed to make survivable at such speeds. If it landed on the roof it would have pancaked, and if it landed on the wheels the occupants' spines would have been crushed.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

dreamin of semen posted:

I like to design GUIs :saddowns:
Same, buddy :( It's literally my job (and in a context that is "passingly medical related" no less)

monolithburger posted:

Is there any way to harness kickback for jumpage? I can see a potential fairground level competition in this.
There are some little cube robot-things that spin a flywheel and stop it to project the momentum into cute little hops and jumps. Or in the case of the NASA ones, violent splatters of dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOqjFa4RskA

Also there was at least one fatality in that car accident, although I can't find the story to confirm that right now. IIRC it killed a woman on the ground.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dark Off posted:

[removed video of fatality]
the driver apparently lived.

sorry about RT link but:

https://www.rt.com/news/474205-hyderabad-car-flyover-hits-pedestrian/

quote:

A horrific car crash in India’s Hyderabad saw a vehicle fly right off an overpass and smash down onto the road below, killing one pedestrian and injuring several others.

The overpass was also opened just in early November. Maybe they should move that bus stop to a safer place.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dreamin of semen posted:

I've always been curious about the UI/UX of the software involved in mining, industry and stuff like that since it seems like a place where a whole lot could go wrong, but I haven't heard many stories of people bypassing safety interlocks via software quirks, so I guess something is going right? Something related to hardware interlocks and actual safety regulations probably?

I've designed some industrial UI along with industrial control systems and used a whole slew of them. There seems to be zero standards for generic industrial use. UI design takes backseat to function even if it should be easy to use. Usually people handwave ease of use and just say "it's industrial". CNC's are a good example though they've come leaps and bounds in the last decade. We've got some older CNC controls that are quite obtuse even by industrial standards. About the only place you see some decent design is with light curtains and robotic cells, but mostly because OSHA.

My favorite example of bad UI is the M1A2 Abrams. If you pushed the MASTER OFF button before you pushed the SHUTDOWN button the computer system would poo poo the bed. I know this because as an E-2 Private fresh out of training someone told me "Turn it off!" and not "Shut it down!". So of course I pressed the button that said OFF. Two days later the GD techs were still fixing it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yooper posted:

My favorite example of bad UI is the M1A2 Abrams. If you pushed the MASTER OFF button before you pushed the SHUTDOWN button the computer system would poo poo the bed. I know this because as an E-2 Private fresh out of training someone told me "Turn it off!" and not "Shut it down!". So of course I pressed the button that said OFF. Two days later the GD techs were still fixing it.

You know how ye olde artillerymen used to spike their guns if they were about to be overrun by enemy? Spiking meant literally driving a nail or bayonet into the touch-hole after which the cannon would only be usable if you drilled a new hole which would take time, so the enemy couldn't turn your guns against you during the battle.

Well, it sounds like you figured out how to spike a M1A2!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Yooper posted:

I've designed some industrial UI along with industrial control systems and used a whole slew of them. There seems to be zero standards for generic industrial use. UI design takes backseat to function even if it should be easy to use. Usually people handwave ease of use and just say "it's industrial".

Non-industrial UIs work the same way.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

chrisgt posted:

I didn't intend to read over 100 pages, but that just sucked me in. Also HOLY gently caress some of those pictures are :nms:

Why did I read that. I didn't completely lose my poo poo until I realized some of those loving photos were 2 loving YEARS after exposure and looked like it happened a day ago.

God drat it. Off to the scheinfreund thread to detox. Maybe I'll look at some puppies too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nenonen posted:

You know how ye olde artillerymen used to spike their guns if they were about to be overrun by enemy? Spiking meant literally driving a nail or bayonet into the touch-hole after which the cannon would only be usable if you drilled a new hole which would take time, so the enemy couldn't turn your guns against you during the battle.

Well, it sounds like you figured out how to spike a M1A2!

It's so weird to me that people could get hit by cannons, seems like they're slow as poo poo to setup and aim, but I don't know poo poo about poo poo so whatever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJU-Q9gw_sg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's so weird to me that people could get hit by cannons, seems like they're slow as poo poo to setup and aim, but I don't know poo poo about poo poo so whatever.

Infantry formations were huge and when a battery hit one they'd go through like the men were bowling pins.

The battle of Nieuwpoort in 1600, early and later stages:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Infantry formations were huge and when a battery hit one they'd go through like the men were bowling pins.

The battle of Nieuwpoort in 1600, early and later stages:

it's pretty goddamn OSHA that they would force dudes to just stand all clumped up and advance slowly when someone's also slowly pointing cannons at them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Cannons were for attacking fixed positions. Like Mons Megg was a 19" cannon (Cannonball weighing 150kg) with a muzzle velocity of something like 300 m/s and could fire possibly 3000m. So the cannon is really far away, the cannonball is going really fast, it's not trying to hit you just the building you are in.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aramoro posted:

Cannons were for attacking fixed positions.

Cannons were totally not for only attacking fixed positions. Canister shot would not have been a thing if that were the case.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Whether the target was fixed or not, after the barrage they definitely were not! :dadjoke:

As for why people marched in such closed orders - cold steel was still the king of the battlefield and when it came to melee the side with the deepest and tightest formation generally had the upper hand. Artillery might seldom totally obliterate the formation like modern artillery would, but it could make holes into it or scatter the formation to make it more vulnerable to your assaulting cavalry or infantry.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 4, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's pretty goddamn OSHA that they would force dudes to just stand all clumped up and advance slowly when someone's also slowly pointing cannons at them.

It’s civilized.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
For the past several hundred years, artillery has caused the majority of casualties in every proper war. Napoleon (a former artillery officer himself) said, "It is with artillery that war is made."

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

If Napoleon was so smart then why he die in exile

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Aramoro posted:

Cannons were for attacking fixed positions. Like Mons Megg was a 19" cannon (Cannonball weighing 150kg) with a muzzle velocity of something like 300 m/s and could fire possibly 3000m. So the cannon is really far away, the cannonball is going really fast, it's not trying to hit you just the building you are in.

This is broadly the case in the early days of cannon (pre-1600 or so) but by the time you get to the middle of the seventeenth century you see “light” (relative to siege guns) cannon being used on the battlefield effectively. Gustsvus Adolphus was running around loving poo poo up like that in the thirty years war, for example.

As for why everyone is clumped together, it’s a command and control issue. The only way to effectively move 1000 men is to have them physically together and the only way to effectively control numerous groups like that at once is via flag and courier. You do have smaller groups of men operating independently but these are skirmishes and what we today would consider scouts and snipers. Enough to harass the enemy but not enough to really do the job alone.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Powered Descent posted:

We now return you to the horrible radioactive death discussion, already in progress.

Back in the day, I used to work in sales and distribution of flat panel TV's. This was when they just started getting affordable. We also sold wall mounts as part of a bundle. We were a VAR so most of our stuff was bundled.

This picture was very common when customers would complain that the wall mount failed. It never occurred to them to find a stud. All of our stuff was UL certified. Even our long arm mounts would take the weight of a full grown man as long as you found a stud for at least one of the sides. They used heavy lag bolts. They were great. I still have a few of them in service in my house. The kit even came with bolts that would work in cinder block.

Still, people think that drywall anchors are good enough for 75lbs of TV on a 24" swing arm. It tears out of the wall, destroys the TV, then they blame the retailer. People would threaten to sue for damages. We would refer them to the manual and the disclaimer that stated professional install only.

I guess that I don't have a real point. This picture just brings back memories from the mid 2000's.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

SLOSifl posted:

Same, buddy :( It's literally my job (and in a context that is "passingly medical related" no less)

welp, I feel kinda bad now :ohdear:

Yooper posted:

I've designed some industrial UI along with industrial control systems and used a whole slew of them. There seems to be zero standards for generic industrial use. UI design takes backseat to function even if it should be easy to use. Usually people handwave ease of use and just say "it's industrial". CNC's are a good example though they've come leaps and bounds in the last decade. We've got some older CNC controls that are quite obtuse even by industrial standards. About the only place you see some decent design is with light curtains and robotic cells, but mostly because OSHA.

Genuinely enlightening! Pretty much lines up with what I expected, too, minus the uh tank part. "It's industrial" ABSOLUTELY lines up with the rest of the many excuses I've seen for not polishing the UI.

also yeah, guess I know how to break an M1A2 now, if I ever need to for whatever reason. neat!

The main reason I found myself interested in that kinda thing is actually pretty dead on for this thread, thinking about it. There's a ton of weird, often SCADA-based, industrial control system web UIs that show up with unauthenticated VNC ports open to the internet. There's thousands of them, and you could, if you wanted to, just connect to them and gently caress around with minimal effort. Not that I'd recommend that. This talk isn't great honestly, but the actual content contained within is pretty interesting in an e-voyeur, cospoppy kinda way. There's a frankly worrying amount of buttons that, if pressed, could potentially damage something. Like... really, an internet connected grain silo with aeration options and a big "empty silo" button?

This thread taught me to respect the grain, and giving the silo unsecured remote control does not feel like respecting the grain, dammit!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Its likely apocryphal (and propagated by Ralph Waldo Emerson at that), but there's a great tale of Napoleon seeing a Prussian column retreating over a lake of ice, so he had his artillery shell the ice and they all fell in

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Its likely apocryphal (and propagated by Ralph Waldo Emerson at that), but there's a great tale of Napoleon seeing a Prussian column retreating over a lake of ice, so he had his artillery shell the ice and they all fell in

Ice Road Hussars.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I once shelled the ice my friend was standing on and he fell in.

Sorry buddy.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Was I correct to say "shelled" as it pertained to Napoleonic-era cannons? Were they just cannonballs and not shells, kinda like the ole' clip v. magazine mistake?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kazak posted:

If Napoleon was so smart then why he die in exile

Land war in Asia.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Was I correct to say "shelled" as it pertained to Napoleonic-era cannons? Were they just cannonballs and not shells, kinda like the ole' clip v. magazine mistake?

Wikipedia posted:

The earliest record of shells being used in combat was by the Republic of Venice at Jadra in 1376. Shells with fuses were used at the 1421 siege of St Boniface in Corsica. These were two hollowed hemispheres of stone or bronze held together by an iron hoop.
Shell (projectile)

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

I am listening to it and they have nothing nice to say about us here at the Something Awful forums. I should just post the link to the video.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

only makes sense the world's most famous artillery officer and the shell projectile come from the same place

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They fought in those formations because that was the only way to make unrifled muskets shooting lumpy balls of lead deadly, just have a massive volume of fire. What is OSHA is that they still did this when rifled muskets firing the modern bullet looking Mini-Ball became a thing. This is one one of the reasons the US Civil War was so deadly, they were still marching in formation while using weapons much more accurate than a few decades earlier.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamn I'm glad I took the time to catch up with this thread. :getin:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dreamin of semen posted:

The main reason I found myself interested in that kinda thing is actually pretty dead on for this thread, thinking about it. There's a ton of weird, often SCADA-based, industrial control system web UIs that show up with unauthenticated VNC ports open to the internet. There's thousands of them, and you could, if you wanted to, just connect to them and gently caress around with minimal effort. Not that I'd recommend that. This talk isn't great honestly, but the actual content contained within is pretty interesting in an e-voyeur, cospoppy kinda way. There's a frankly worrying amount of buttons that, if pressed, could potentially damage something. Like... really, an internet connected grain silo with aeration options and a big "empty silo" button?

Yup, that's a thing. The higher grade Allen Bradley stuff will use something like FactoryTalk that comes with appropriate safeguards and encryption to prevent anyone from logging into it. But there are 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers who take outdated industrial controls, re-label it, and sell it as new. Mitsubishi is really good for this, the current generation is Mitsubishi while 2nd gen turns into Delta while 3rd gen is Huangzho or something like that. On top of that you get people with zero training in proper digital protection trying to set up a SCADA system remotely using only HTTP. Joe PLC Programmer will likely have no clue that people could actually log into his system.

Stuxnet is a good example, though a bit deep, where "someone" tricked Siemens PLC or VFD controllers into behaving in a manner that would destroy Iranian uranium centrifuge bearings. They did it in such a way that the program itself showed that nothing was wrong. This is a very sophisticated example of the kind of havoc you can wreak on a normally robust industrial system.

Hopefully these are just for monitoring.

Edit : This one allows you, remotely and with no credentials, to empty a crucible containing 24000 kgs of liquid iron.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 4, 2019

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

Applesnots posted:

Please start an ask/tell thread.

From many pages back, but; I'm just an office admin schmuck, unfortunately, I'm not a licensed funeral director and I'm not even allowed in the back rooms. Generally the gnarliest stuff I see is identification photos of someone whose family declined to do a viewing, or the occasional stillborn infant that got the Glamour Shots treatment by mom & dad despite being, indisputably and visibly very clearly, a deceased infant. No amount of little knitted hats and ducky-print blankets is gonna make that any less awful to see, and I have to see 'em on the reg because we make all our funeral items in-house, so I'm the one that has to photoshop them into all the memorial stuff. It sucks so bad.

Wouldn't wanna do an A/T thread though because privacy is SUPER important in this industry, obviously, and worst case scenario would be me losing my job-- coworkers have been fired before for getting a little too lippy on Facebook, etc. But that doesn't mean I don't have stories... I just can't tell 'em online, unfortunately :sigh:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Imagined posted:

For the past several hundred years, artillery has caused the majority of casualties in every proper war. Napoleon (a former artillery officer himself) said, "It is with artillery that war is made."
I actually just recently ran across a paper I wrote on this very subject in college! Disease was and, until the past 50-100 years, always has been the chief killer in most wars, but in battles artillery has certainly been huge for the past 300yrs at least. In the Napoleonic period, (1792-1815) casualty rates in most battles tended to be around 20-30%, though occasionally much higher (Albuera was especially bloody with ~44% on both sides-some British formations lost over 80%). A study of wounds discussed by surgeons of the period found that around 60% were caused by musketry, 17% by artillery, 13% by swords, and 1% by bayonets. This is possibly not the whole story as far as casualties go-even a glancing blow from a cannonball was very often instantly fatal and may not have made it to a surgeon. Canister and case shot was used as a giant shotgun at ranges less than a few hundred yards, and was the 18th/19thC Maxim gun. Round shot was used at longer ranges, and aimed so the shot bounced, hitting multiple ranks of approaching infantry. The effect on morale from standing in an open field under cannon fire must have been terrible. Round shot quite often tore off limbs it hit, and indeed the shrapnel of human bones and body parts could cause more casualties to the deceased neighbors in a tight formation. Shells were in common use by howitzers and mortars, but most cannon just used solid round shot and canister. Shells didn't get really deadly and reliable for a few decades-by the American Civil War, in combination with rifled cannon, they were exceedingly deadly. Muskets were variously deadly but wildly inaccurate much past 100 yards (hence the tight formations for control and also to make the best use of inaccurate firearms). I've got a repro Brown Bess and can reliably hit a pizza box at 30 yards-you can see why you'd want a few hundred of your buddies all pointing at the same thing if you were shooting much past that. In the ACW rifled muskets and minie balls came around and, coupled with rifled cannons/shells made that war especially deadly while battles were still fought with essentially Napoleonic tactics and formations. Later in the war ('64-'65) soldiers and commanders learned to dig, and while casualty rates from direct assaults on entrenchments were appalling (Cold Harbor), the defenders suffered much less. Somehow European armies failed to take note of this and were surprised when WW1 quickly changed from a Napoleonic war of maneuver to trench warfare in 3 months.

Pretty much OSHA should ban wars.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pretty much OSHA should ban wars.

OSHA inspector standing on the lip of a foxhole, chewing on a pencil.
"You know, I'll have to note a violation unless you properly shore that thing up."

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I remember seeing something about the Korean War where there were dudes fighting in the cold all shot up not bleeding cause the blood was freezing. Then they get them back to the hospital to warm up and they suddenly start bleeding to death from 5 gunshot wounds.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Private freezes in terror realizing he didn't put 'getting shot at by artillery' on his JSA

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
one honest look at the battles of the American Civil War and all that Southern pride about it gets even more deranged and ugly. your young johnny rebs mostly rotted from disease at camp, starved, got trampled when their lines broke, or some other industrial-war horror that cant really be called "combat." same goes for the union side, really.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's almost like war is... heck. or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It should be noted that it is possible to hit targets at greater distances with smoothbore muskets. The problem is you need to use a tightly fitting bullet exactly sized to the bore, and black powder is extremely inefficient and coats the bore with soot after just a few shots. It gets progressively harder and harder to ram the balls down unless you use intentionally undersized bullets. The Brown Bess is nominally .75 caliber but used bullets of .69 caliber that would easily slide through a filthy barrel, at the cost of being completely incapable of hitting a man past 100 yards.

This is also why rifles didn't become a big thing before the Minie ball and breechloaders. Rifling requires that tightly fitting bullet, which for a muzzleloader requires you to keep the barrel scrupulously clean. They could only be issued to small, specialized skirmisher units for precision use. Loading from the breech lets you avoid the problem of muzzleloading, but the technology of the time simply couldn't reliably and cheaply seal the breech against the hot combustion gases. Revolvers were the first solution, but they spray hot gas and possibly lead shavings from the front of the cylinder and you can't really grasp a revolver rifle properly. The Minie ball was the solution: an undersized lead bullet with a hollow base that would expand to grip the rifling when fired, allowing for rifles that were as fast to load as smoothbore muskets.

The final innovation was the metal cartridge case, which expanded to seal the breech during combustion but relaxed afterward to let it be easily extracted. We could have had this in use faster, but at least for revolvers Rollin White patented the bored-through cylinder design and gave Smith & Wesson exclusive permission to use it. He aggressively fought any patent infringement even during the Civil War, which annoyed the gently caress out of the Union. His extension in 1869 got denied because he was needlessly hamstringing the army to protect his profits.