Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

What are phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

It bothers me because a girl I dated early on in college grew up poor, very poor. But her parents were really conservative Christians who bought into the lovely idea that "if you are poor it is because god willed it" and bought into "you gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and refused any government assistance for their family.

Their dad worked two jobs (one of which was working at a blood diagnostics place, the other retail) and their mother couldn't work due to a car accident loving her back up. But because the mother and father refused all help, they had no money for food. Literally. My ex told me how as a family they spent weeks eating nothing but pancake mix as any money their father made, went to paying rent and medication for their mom. The only real food her and her brother ever got was the free lunch at school, but to them they were "stealing food" because it was "free" so they felt ashamed. It really hosed her up psychologically, even in college she clearly had some minor PTSD over those experiences. Her father was a nice man, he wasn't mean, he cared deeply about his family (he liked me a lot despite knowing i wasn't religious at all and his daughter sleeping with me) and I still keep in contact. And to be fair he now accepts government help (what little of it is available). It's just that his religion, and all of his peers, had pounded the idea into his head that to seek ANY help was a sin and "stealing" and that him and his family deserved to suffer. It is incredibly hosed up. :smith:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Oh sure, GOP, your highest ranking member on the loving House Intelligence Committee doesn’t know how to use passwords on his loving phone, like I’d belie-

On second thought, Nunes is literally that stupid. You may have a point. :hmmyes:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Data Graham posted:

I mean, it's prosperity gospel poo poo. If you're poor, it's obviously your own fault. You should just stop being poor.

People with this mindset just REALLY do not want to imagine a world in which there are systemic inequalities, in this, the country they have been told all their lives is the one place in the world where such things do not exist

Well It's clearly a lie because I have been told by pretty reliable sources that Canada is the only place in the world where such things don't exist. *disclaimer: It's not

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

There's a LOT to say about this, but all I can focus on is: keeping oranges in the refrigerator, really?

Do you seriously not keep oranges and apples in the fridge?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I wonder what the odds are that SDNY had a warrant om Parnas' phone. Some tapes would be amazing

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Her father was a nice man, he wasn't mean, he cared deeply about his family

I'd have to disagree that pancake dad is a good dad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gentlemen, we have upset the dog:

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1202207541729595392?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
"They didn't impeach for earlier crimes so it's bad to do it for this crime" - the GOPs witness

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Oh sure, GOP, your highest ranking member on the loving House Intelligence Committee doesn’t know how to use passwords on his loving phone, like I’d belie-

On second thought, Nunes is literally that stupid. You may have a point. :hmmyes:

Wasn’t there a video of him unlocking his phone during one of the hearings and his code is like 0000 or 0987 or something equally stupid?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ummel posted:

I'd have to disagree that pancake dad is a good dad.

Perhaps not, but my counter-argument is this. We have made "being poor" such a derogatory word in America that even accepting the help that is available is seen as bad. This is incredibly common. You see it all over red-state America when people constantly vote against their interest because our society has pounded into people's heads, over generations, that being poor is YOUR fault and accepting any sort of help is BAD.

We need to change those attitudes and stop that fox-news poor-hating messaging. I don't think blaming poor people for their beliefs is the way to do it. We can however blame religion, republicans, centrists, ect for encouraging this lovely attitude.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dalael posted:

*channeling inner lib* But you see, poor people aren't actually people and are not deserving of cheeses better than Kraft singles. And a steak? A Steak? All they deserve is cans of SPAM!!

Joking aside, gently caress anyone who complains about food stamps. People who are stuck on food stamps probably have a lovely enough life as it is, so loving what if once in a while they enjoy a luxury item such as *rolls dice* food.

When we were expecting and then raising our first child we qualified for food stamps because I was making ~30k a year tattooing and the missus was in nursing school. We were allotted $500 a month and because I know how to cook that meant I could buy an entire bag of vegetables (let’s remind ourselves that a single red bell pepper costs somewhere around $2 each... EACH) and prepare extremely healthy and filling meals for my family without worrying about having no money for rent. Thereby ensuring that we prospered because it is literally impossible to prosper on a diet of apple sauce and canned tuna.
Also the money that wasn’t spent on food each month rolled over to the next so sometimes we went to Whole Foods and I bought $60 worth of lamb because it’s my loving money and I paid into the loving EBT system in the state I was in since I first held a paying job at 13.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Remember when a huge part of his campaign was that the world would stop making fun of America if he was elected?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Perhaps not, but my counter-argument is this. We have made "being poor" such a derogatory word in America that even accepting the help that is available is seen as bad. This is incredibly common. You see it all over red-state America when people constantly vote against their interest because our society has pounded into people's heads, over generations, that being poor is YOUR fault and accepting any sort of help is BAD.

We need to change those attitudes and stop that fox-news poor-hating messaging. I don't think blaming poor people for their beliefs is the way to do it. We can however blame religion, republicans, centrists, ect for encouraging this lovely attitude.

You had me at Perhaps

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember when a huge part of his campaign was that the world would stop making fun of America if he was elected?

I mean he still says regularly that "America is respected again" as opposed to not being under Obama, which is the opposite of reality, soo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/moorinformation/status/1202105800698843136?s=21

Just a historical reminder for today, and based on the suspicious deaths of the Ferguson activists, that things have not changed nearly enough in half a century

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Seems like a bad time for Trump to remind people that world leaders don't publicly complain about his actions but by all means proceed.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

Also the money that wasn’t spent on food each month rolled over to the next so sometimes we went to Whole Foods and I bought $60 worth of lamb because it’s my loving money and I paid into the loving EBT system in the state I was in since I first held a paying job at 13.

How dare you eat food and contribute to your local economy with EBT, you scum!

Now you’re a tattoo artist and are filling this world with art, how vile! You should’ve been an office drone in a soul-sucking job like me. :luckyducky:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/moorinformation/status/1202105800698843136?s=21

Just a historical reminder for today, and based on the suspicious deaths of the Ferguson activists, that things have not changed nearly enough in half a century

"as he slept" is a funny way of saying "drugged with barbiturates by an FBI informer"

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

I mean he still says regularly that "America is respected again" as opposed to not being under Obama, which is the opposite of reality, soo

Honestly, I don't think America has really been respected since the end of the iraq War. The one in 1991 I mean.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The tax (almost always, since the original ones in NYC) is applied to distributors, not to consumers.The passthrough arguments involved are...messy. The ABA used proxies to argue that this was a "grocery tax" because of course, automatically, stores would pass the price increase on to consumers...but the stores didn't always do so. The ABA actually lost some court cases in CA over this, iirc. otoh, several of the main arguments about the efficacy of the taxes do depend on direct price increases, but others are actually based on changing distributor behaviors, not consumer behaviors. on the third, mutant hand, a quantity-based consumption tax is inherently a flat tax, not inherently regressive. The argument that sin taxes are regressive depends on relative rates of consumption among income groups, and depends on the assumption of limited elasticity. To the degree that these are taxes genuinely designed to drive the behavior downward, this is a weird assumption.

How can you reconcile
(1) it's not a tax on consumers because stores won't pass it on

and also
(2) it's genuinely designed to encourage people to consume less soda by making it more expensive to buy

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

Can John Goodman play Barr, Bannon, Huckabee-Sanders, Trump, Nadler, and Tillerson in a one-man production?

:emptyquote:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
All Trump needs to do to get back at Johnson is say that he was told he could have the NHS but Boris told him to lie about it.

Do it you stupid gently caress.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Two years ago today, the Republican Senate passed a tax bill that accidentally removed 100% of all corporate tax deductions, because they were so busy trying to slam a bill through that basically nobody had time to read it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

How dare you eat food and contribute to your local economy with EBT, you scum!

Now you’re a tattoo artist and are filling this world with art, how vile! You should’ve been an office drone in a soul-sucking job like me. :luckyducky:

And my “gifted and talented” daughter who just turned 8 is halfway through advanced 3rd grade, has almost taught herself how to play piano with no help, and draws much much better than her professional artist dad and her professional artist grandparents all did at their age.
Humanity would have been better off grinding my family and especially my child into paste because I didn’t support them with inflated book sales to my church of my latest ghostwritten thesis on why Walt Whitman would have wanted Harriet Tubman put in the gallows if he had known about her.

Kale
May 14, 2010

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Going Bush Sr. > Clinton x2 > Bush Jr. x2 > Obama x2 > Trump has been a crazy ride. The US cannot be trusted to keep to its treaties for more than 4-8 years and its presidents will lie to get its allies into wars, knowing the fallout will be the next presidents problem.

It's funny to me how quickly and obvious it became as I was learning about U.S Politics way back in my high school years that the Republicans were just plain the bad guys 9 times out of 10 in any given situation or turn of history since the latter half of the 20th century. Every single time there was a major scandal or someone said something immensely stupid and regressive or they were just bad at their job.....Republican. With their unconditional top down (or GTFO of the party) deification of Trump at this point it's just kind of proven to be in their nature and that they really do care more about spiting the other of the major two parties and their voters more than any of the poo poo like small government, tax cuts, crime fighting etc. Those talking points are slowly starting to disappear from the campaign trail and GOP narrative setting goals as the Trump era has worn on.

It's a pretty big problem that they're just so entrenched in certain regions of the country as to always have some grip on some lever of power after most elections and to be able to use the Electoral College twice now this century to take the presidency. Like the vast majority of the country did not vote for Mitch McConnell to hijack the entire senate and turn it into his "legislative graveyard", but because he's from some Southern state where he's basically locked in and the Republicans made him Senate Majority leader that's basically what's happened anyway and 99% of the senate is practically rendered inconsequential.

The assessment that the U.S government model has largely been held together by gentleman's agreements not to pull too hard on certain levers of power and to not make political debate (not that it happens anymore in the Senate) into some form of personal vendetta for 250+ years doesn't seem like as much of a stretch as it might have 5 years ago either. That seems very much off the table particularly since McConnell became Senate Majority Leader and that the institutional warfare thing has very much come to a head now.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

It takes about 2 minutes to read a page out loud. So that's at least an hour forty. Looking like dude is shooting for a 2 hour statement. loving christ.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)
Unless you are eating USDA Prime fillets or Japanese Wagyu, why are steaks viewed as luxury food?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

pkay posted:

Unless you are eating USDA Prime fillets or Japanese Wagyu, why are steaks viewed as luxury food?

Just consider the people who view them through that lense and consider their diet.

There’s also a whole mass of people who think they’re hot poo poo because they buy brand named boxes of frito lay products at Costco every week instead of the Kirkland brand or the loving Kroger brand for Christ’s sake.

(AND I WISH MY loving IPHONE WOULD STOP AUTO CAPITALIZING THESE loving WORDS BECAUSE IT MAKES IT LOOK LIKE I RESPECT ANY OF THEM ENOUGH TO PRESS SHIFT, gently caress!)

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 4, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

pkay posted:

if you eat ground beef or chicken every day like lots of Americans, a steak is a real treat!

Kale
May 14, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

You know I've been saying for the longest time that if we survive this administration, John Goodman should play Steve Bannon in a film/series but now Barr is looking more like the more appropriate role. Maybe he can play both.

Steve Bannon ended up being like that season 1 character you think is going to emerge as the ultimate villain but instead gets written off the show before it's even wrapped up. I remember when people were talking about him being the Shadow President and now he's so far removed from the picture (much like say Jeff Sessions) that I barely remember him.

Remember when Reince Priebus was supposed to be Chief of Staff too instead of forever acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney? You know back when the Trump Administration almost seemed like it could quasi-function and was going to start getting to work on infrastructure issues? Back when Trump fresh off the election said he was going to back off twitter a little bit now that the campaign was over and he was president-elect? Those last 3 months of relative peace and order in the United States as people kept trying to convince themselves that maybe the adminstration wouldn't be THAT bad and Trump would be tempered by the current establishment and Washington instead of the entire GOP just throwing itself at his feet and further radicalizing around him while any ranking member with even an ounce of restraint or common sense was slowly purged from or retired from Washington politics.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

alpha_destroy posted:

It takes about 2 minutes to read a page out loud. So that's at least an hour forty. Looking like dude is shooting for a 2 hour statement. loving christ.

Good thing they put each one of these witnesses on a ten minute timer for their opening statements.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I love good steak, but even okay steak is a luxury that I want to eat more than I should/can afford.

I've noticed that the price of chicken seems to have dropped quite a bit. I recall that 5 years ago it was comparable to ground beef and now I can pretty regularly get bulk packs of machine trimmed breasts for less than $2 a pound. I'm sure part of that was a move out of D.C. but it's still noticeable and makes it hard to justify fish as a healthy alternative.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

my bony fealty posted:

if you eat ground beef or chicken every day like lots of Americans, a steak is a real treat!

Haha yeah I'm solidly lower middle class and I eat steak like 2-3 times a year at most. At that frequency it's always a delight of the senses (even the bad steaks).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The people who complain about it would probably complain about any food being a luxury if pushed, wanting the poor to only eat some kind of flavorless paste.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

kidkissinger posted:

Ok but to be fair, a huge proportion of mech fiction is super fashy.

Mechs are cool tho.
So in this vein, if you like RPGs at all, a game called LANCER just got officially released (though it's been around in various pre-release forms for a few years now and they had a giant kickstarter to print real books for it). You play giant mech pilots in service of a communist utopia, fighting against fascism, capitalism, slavery, and colonialism. Also the Kill Six Billion Demons guy wrote it and did a lot of the art. Also, the basic rules are free and full of amazing giant robot pictures so even if you don't like/play RPGs, it's worth a download. Also, several goons are involved with the project.

https://massif-press.itch.io/corebook-pdf-free

Thank you. This was your "Putting the D&D in D&D post" for the day.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pkay posted:

Decent steak ain't cheap unless it's on sale, the price per pound is pretty high outside of like chuck steak.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Kale posted:

It's funny to me how quickly and obvious it became as I was learning about U.S Politics way back in my high school years that the Republicans were just plain the bad guys 9 times out of 10 in any given situation or turn of history since the latter half of the 20th century. Every single time there was a major scandal or someone said something immensely stupid and regressive or they were just bad at their job.....Republican. With their unconditional top down (or GTFO of the party) deification of Trump at this point it's just kind of proven to be in their nature and that they really do care more about spiting the other of the major two parties and their voters more than any of the poo poo like small government, tax cuts, crime fighting etc. Those talking points are slowly starting to disappear from the campaign trail and GOP narrative setting goals as the Trump era has worn on.

It's a pretty big problem that they're just so entrenched in certain regions of the country as to always have some grip on some lever of power after most elections and to be able to use the Electoral College twice now this century to take the presidency. Like the vast majority of the country did not vote for Mitch McConnell to hijack the entire senate and turn it into his "legislative graveyard", but because he's from some Southern state where he's basically locked in and the Republicans made him Senate Majority leader that's basically what's happened anyway and 99% of the senate is practically rendered inconsequential.

The assessment that the U.S government model has largely been held together by gentleman's agreements not to pull too hard on certain levers of power and to not make political debate (not that it happens anymore in the Senate) into some form of personal vendetta for 250+ years doesn't seem like as much of a stretch as it might have 5 years ago either. That seems very much off the table particularly since McConnell became Senate Majority Leader and that the institutional warfare thing has very much come to a head now.

I think what is interesting is that it isn't the US in isolation that has this problem. The UK's government has no real constitution and runs off of precedent and gentlemen's agreements. Historically democracies and republics were vulnerable to this as well. I was listening to a Youtube series on the history of the Roman Republic, and around 100 BC they had a similar situation where entrenched parties ran into a deadlock because the rich were leveraging their power to enrich themselves to the detriment of the republic and abusing the levers of power to do so. That led in turn to others (The Gracchus brothers) seeking to leverage other means of power to try and reform the situation and it eventually ended in violence and instability for 40 years that led to Caesar.

Ultimately the problem is that there is no idiot-proof governmental system that we can set running and not worry about. Any government created must be vigilantly guarded against decay and corruption or it will inevitably attract evil people to abuse it for their own ends and degrade it. People in the US stopped being fully engaged in the process and we got career politicians who would lie continuously and we'd still vote for them. As a society, we stopped caring about what our elected leaders actually accomplished and voted based off of tribal political loyalties. Now it's been perverted to such an extend that 40% of the polling/voting public support a party that does nothing but tear down what we have simply to spite their perceived tribal enemy. It seems like all Republican voters have now is the identify of a conservative in concept, but not in fact, since the GOP doesn't really advocate conservative principles anymore. However, the vast majority of GOP voters are no longer able or willing to critically examine it. If you have 40% of the voting electorate no longer applying critical thought to governance, you will have a failing government, regardless of the system.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

bobjr posted:

The people who complain about it would probably complain about any food being a luxury if pushed, wanting the poor to only eat some kind of flavorless paste.

Its disturbing how many folks in the US believe that being poor must intrinsically be linked with suffering. Its like they can't reconcile why poor folks shouldn't suffer....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

USPOL needs to learn to eat breakfast, I'm beginning to think that all these food derails are because even talking about SNAP makes you all hangry.

oxsnard posted:

"They didn't impeach for earlier crimes so it's bad to do it for this crime" - the GOPs witness

What Impeachment and SNAP discussion both share is the worldview that plagues them not being called out for what it is: The Boomer Trolley Problem(:nws: maybe?) The US has the brain worms real bad, friends.