Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

Van Halen were never good, and that specific era of mainstream hair metal cock rock is best forgotten.

Van Halen is one of the most successful bands in history and constantly referenced in pop culture even after their relevance was over. If a homeschooled girl making the most generic and boring Soundcloud pop hasn't heard of them, that says more about her than the rock genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

Van Halen is one of the most successful bands in history and constantly referenced in pop culture even after their relevance was over. If a homeschooled girl making the most generic and boring Soundcloud pop hasn't heard of them, that says more about her than the rock genre.

OK vanner

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

Van Halen were never good, and that specific era of mainstream hair metal cock rock is best forgotten.

Please use the proper, singular verb forms when referring to American bands, thank you.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Vans Halen

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

chitoryu12 posted:

Financial success does not equal artistic merit, but you being bound and determined to infantalize and dismiss one of the most successful new artists of the last year is not making you seem like less of an out of touch dad rock defender.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chitoryu12 posted:

man you have a long miserable life ahead of you if you're already getting mad that people don't care about some lovely 80s band. you know that's never getting better, right? you're watching the door shut right now. nobody's ever going to "rediscover" carwash loudspeaker rock.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Financial success does not equal artistic merit, but you being bound and determined to infantalize and dismiss one of the most successful new artists of the last year is not making you seem like less of an out of touch dad rock defender.

don't you understand? she won't gently caress him!!!

and lmao at "homeschooled girl" like she grew up in some prairie compound. she was homeschooled by her musician parents in los angeles so she could study music full-time

extremely online has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Dec 4, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I’m not infantalizing her. Her music is just suckass boring.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

chitoryu12 posted:

Calling her a "homeschooled girl" instead of just, say, singer/songwriter is both infantalizing and misogynistic.

Poor Miserable Gurgi has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Dec 4, 2019

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

chitoryu12 posted:

Ok boomer

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chitoryu12 posted:

you 100% are, grognard. I legit think most of your anger comes from the fact that she intentionally wears baggy clothing to ward off guys like you

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1202072607790632961

your god has spoken, chitory

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love too have an vitriolic, personal fight about uh VAN HALEN in 2019, extremely cool and normal.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Imagine defending this in 2019 lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArxakPsPE0

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

chitoryu12 posted:

I love your drat avatar.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

you seem to care extremely hard about the opinions of homeschooled girls making boring Soundcloud pop

also rock has been dead for longer than Billy Eilish has been alive

https://twitter.com/nomchompsky/status/1201635852927094785

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

Love too have an vitriolic, personal fight about uh VAN HALEN in 2019, extremely cool and normal.

I cannot stop laughing at van halen defender

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I cannot stop laughing at van halen defender

I was talking specifically about the guy calling him a pedo for not liking Billie Eilish but this whole thing is dumb as poo poo

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pedo guy is just, like, an expression

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The thing you have to remember is THIS IS DEFINITELY ABOUT VAN HALEN theres nothing else behind it, I'm just concerned that she might not be up on her musical influences I'm not using this as a convenient excuse for anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Pedo guy is just, like, an expression

Apologies to our South African posters

Anyway this all comes from a bit on Kimmel where they on purpose asked her about pop culture from 20 years before she was born, she also didn't know who Huey Lewis and the News or Run DMC were, who Gizmo from Gremlins was, what Mr T's catchphrase was, what Cabbage Patch Kids were and had never seen an episode of The Cosby Show but somehow it's just the van halen thing (it's because fans of 80s rear end rock are like we assume)

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Wolfgang has said that he did not know his father was a famous musician until he "started picking up CDs and saw his [Eddie's] picture on them"

This homeschooled boy is 10 years older than Eilish and even he hadn't heard of Van Halen. That is how much they vanished from the cultural landscape.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

If you're a professional musician there's a lot of musical influence that dates back to before you were born. Van Halen isn't like Star Wars as a permanent cultural touchstone for multiple generations but they're also a band that remained famous and commonly played on the radio and in films/TV decades after their most prominent songs were recorded, and Eddie Van Halen is the kind of guitarist that everyone who plays more guitar than a few acoustic songs to get laid at parties knows. They're one of the best selling music artists of all time, so a professional musician having never heard of them before when they're still alive and performing is actually really weird. Then again, Billie's music is really generic and interchangeable with a ton of other modern bands and she'll probably be forgotten in the sands of time long before Van Halen.

If you want to take this route then Kanye's legacy will outlive Van Halen's by several decades. Just as Van Halen outlived whatever was popular from 1920-1940 or whatever. Pop culture changes, and your favs arent special.

chitoryu12 posted:

Van Halen is one of the most successful bands in history

Only if you consider bands in the last 40 years to be all of musical history. They'll never stand the test of time like Beethoven or Bach (who will themselves be forgotten one day).

Look, you're old and the things you like aren't popular any more, and that's ok. You're going to die and everything you loved as a kid and as a man-child will die before you do, and that's ok. Just accept it and stop pretending that your shitass dad-rock is groundbreaking instead of just what happened to sell the most albums to idiots who's brains are irreparably damaged by leaded gasoline fumes.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Dec 4, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Every post from like the last three pages should be cross posted to the idiots on social media thread imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It'd be weirder for her to be unaware if she was making music similar to VH's material, but she isn't.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Every post from like the last three pages should be cross posted to the idiots on social media thread imo

It is very dumb, and

zoux posted:

I was talking specifically about the guy calling him a pedo for not liking Billie Eilish but this whole thing is dumb as poo poo

calling someone a pedo even if they're digging themselves deeper into a dorky hole in the name of Van Halen of all loving things is asking for trouble

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pastry of the Year posted:

It is very dumb, and

calling someone a pedo even if they're digging themselves deeper into a dorky hole in the name of Van Halen of all loving things is asking for trouble

Good thing nobody did that then

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

zoux posted:

Anyway this all comes from a bit on Kimmel where they on purpose asked her about pop culture from 20 years before she was born, she also didn't know who Huey Lewis and the News or Run DMC were, who Gizmo from Gremlins was, what Mr T's catchphrase was, what Cabbage Patch Kids were and had never seen an episode of The Cosby Show but somehow it's just the van halen thing (it's because fans of 80s rear end rock are like we assume)

drat, I'm nearly twice her age and most of that is true about me too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shut up about Von Halen and post good tweets.

https://twitter.com/nachdermas/status/1201593472001757184

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Side bar from van Halen chat: Alex Hirsch is the creator of gravity falls no less, which is a legitimately fantastic show

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's really weird of Kimmel's staff to throw The Cosby Show in there. There are lots of 80s sitcoms whose stars aren't in prison for being serial rapists. ALF has escaped justice to this day.

Sulla Faex posted:

Side bar from van Halen chat: Alex Hirsch is the creator of gravity falls no less, which is a legitimately fantastic show

The best thing about a Disney+ sub other than The Perils of Space Baby

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/AtsukoComedy/status/1202042812562149376

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nigelpen/status/343901753160372224

https://twitter.com/Amy_Fleming/status/1201814068396474370

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1201903368563838976

That's a long way to carry a printer

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Dec 4, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:psyduck:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I'm impressed that they had a stock photo on hand for an extremely thirsty tiger

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Horse Girl's final form.

https://twitter.com/ninaemlemdi/status/1200219178243969026

I don't know if Bigfoots can be considered predators but everything else is corrrect

There's this bot that steals tweets where someone responds "put this on a shirt" and puts them on shirts for sale like instantly and

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1202229358112464896
https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1202272580918562818

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Dec 4, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm impressed that they had a stock photo on hand for an extremely thirsty tiger

I'm imagining someone examining all of the tiger pictures they have, telling their editor they'll know it when they see it

"no, no, no, close, no, no, that's it. that guy wants it."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

But would he walk 800 more?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1202288343180034049?s=20

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Dec 4, 2019

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

What the gently caress is Spiritual Milk?

Also free TB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Where on earth could she have seen an episode of Cosby, no one her age has watched television on a television since they were too old for sesame street.

Not knowing Run DMC is a bit disappointing, since they're more directly influential to her music.