Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

gently caress me, I grew up there. I know the place where that happened. I lived opposite an Orthodox Jewish school and our house had mezuzahs on all the doorframes. We were all atheists, but those were a little reminder of our home's history.

I am so incredibly angry that antisemitic attacks are happening because the right are stoking the fire and trying to use it to destroy the people who will actually help to make our society safer and more inclusive, while ignoring the actual bigots and monsters for political reasons. It is one of the most disgusting things this government and our establishment has done, and that's a loving high bar to clear. It must be stopped, for the good of our society and everyone in it.

We will take these monsters down.

Edit: I hate these bastards 52 weeks a year. Solidarity to all Jewish people suffering at their hands, and to all the downtrodden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Former Labour minister Ivan Lewis urges people to vote Tory to keep Corbyn out of No 10

quote:

The former Labour minister Ivan Lewis, who resigned from the party last year criticising Jeremy Corbyn’s handling of antisemitism, is now urging people in his constituency to vote Conservative. At the time he resigned Lewis had been suspended from the party over sexual harassment allegations, but he claimed the investigation was being prolonged for political reasons.

Lewis is standing as an independent candidate in Bury South, where he had a majority of almost 6,000 over the Tories in 2017. But now he says people should vote for his Tory opponent because he thinks the priority is for Corbyn to lose.

In a post on Facebook he said:

quote:

I say to my Labour friends, Corbyn’s Labour party is not the Labour party of our parents and grandparents. It is unreasonable of me to expect you all to leave the party because of antisemitism. But it is unreasonable of you to admit there is a serious antisemitism problem in the party then expect me to join you in the mantra ‘but the most important thing is we have a Labour government’. Imagine if this institutionalised racism was against any other minority community ...

At this election, the future of our country is on the line like never before. The only way to stop Corbyn in Bury South is to vote Conservative. This is not a decision I have taken lightly but I believe it to be in the best interests of the constituency and the country.

cool now tell me what roman polanski thinks about Corbyn

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

I didn't think David Miliband was even active in politics anymore lol, Christmas lunch for them must be great.

He stirs up the anti semitism stuff against labour on twitter sometimes. Definitely glad he didn't get elected as leader. Can't imagine what a right wing poo poo show labour would be with him as leader.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He stirs up the anti semitism stuff against labour on twitter sometimes. Definitely glad he didn't get elected as leader. Can't imagine what a right wing poo poo show labour would be with him as leader.

I like to think he would have lost as badly as his brother and we'd still have ended up with Corbyn and more of the Right wing would have eaten themselves.

Part of me wishes we could look into other worlds to see what would happen if things had gone differently

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I like to think he would have lost as badly as his brother and we'd still have ended up with Corbyn and more of the Right wing would have eaten themselves.

Part of me wishes we could look into other worlds to see what would happen if things had gone differently

More likely he'd have signed over a document that made the Labour Party a subsidiary of the Tories.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

More likely he'd have signed over a document that made the Labour Party a subsidiary of the Tories.

Probably.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I wouldn't have picked him as the Fredo a few years ago but here we are.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Here’s the universe where Gordon Brown refused to apologise for calling that bigoted woman a bigot

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zalakwe posted:

I wouldn't have picked him as the Fredo a few years ago but here we are.

In 2015 I was ranting about what a centrist shite Ed was and now I know he was being held back by the oval office patrol his oval office brother supports.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spent all day canvassing and delivering letters and had a talk with my mam to try and convince her which ended with me in tears because when she asked what good I thought it'd do I just broke down and told her right now I'm staring down my entire life with no prospect of a decent job, never a house to call my own, no healthcare when I need it, no future whatsoever, just working to survive and forking it all over to some private landlord who does nothing.

I'm just so goddamn tired.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Tesseraction posted:

In 2015 I was ranting about what a centrist shite Ed was and now I know he was being held back by the oval office patrol his oval office brother supports.

And he was still being lambasted as 'Red Ed' in the media so there's obviously no loving point in giving an inch to these cunts by choosing a different leader.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Spent all day canvassing and delivering letters and had a talk with my mam to try and convince her which ended with me in tears because when she asked what good I thought it'd do I just broke down and told her right now I'm staring down my entire life with no prospect of a decent job, never a house to call my own, no healthcare when I need it, no future whatsoever, just working to survive and forking it all over to some private landlord who does nothing.

Oh Owl, I'm sorry to hear this mate. I know it's hard but you are doing good work out there. It isn't bad to feel overwhelmed, it happens to all of us on occasion.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

I hear you, Owl. That's rough. Better things are coming.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier posted:

you're a good person doing a good thing, and you deserve a good 13th more than any of us

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry to hear this mate. Take care of yourself.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Saros posted:

The definition is on the side of the bus :lol::lol:

:catstare: hooooly poo poo

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is your campaign a tired old road? Does it throw us under a bus? Is it completely off the rails?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is your campaign a tired old road? Does it throw us under a bus? Is it completely off the rails?

:golfclap: for Labour monorail

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I feel there is hay to be made out of this, UK's biggest commercial property fund suspended https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50658437

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's all really important that we remember that we can't fix everything ourselves. I have a newborn at home and am limited to throwing what money I can at the campaign. Having run target seat campaigns in the past I feel completely powerless but the reality is I am blessed in so many ways.

You're doing what you can Owl, it's a good thing and you needn't stress. Count your blessings in the meantime, capitalism wants you to believe they are things like jobs and houses and I get you need those things, but when it comes down to it they are rarely the most important things in life.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You're doing good and valuable things, Owlie. Please give yourself credit and don't push yourself too hard. Be good to yourself, friend :glomp:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thank you all. You're good folk and I love you all.

Believe me I don't want to care about that poo poo, I know exactly what I want from life, I just want a secure roof over my head and food on the table and not to get sick and die so I can do it. Which you wouldn't think is too much to ask.

It's just hard, I try to keep on top of it but it's hard seeing so many people around you including your family just... not see the state you're in. Not care. Too stuck in their truisms and platitudes that don't actually map to reality.

I might ask to stick to leafleting and lettering for a while because this is doing a number on my brain.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Zalakwe posted:

I think it's all really important that we remember that we can't fix everything ourselves. I have a newborn at home and am limited to throwing what money I can at the campaign. Having run target seat campaigns in the past I feel completely powerless but the reality is I am blessed in so many ways.

Absolutely. We can't save the world as individuals, but by doing small good deeds when we are able to, we can as a collective.

Please, nobody feel bad for feeling overwhelmed. You feel that way because you're a good person, and you're doing all that you can. Don't break yourself trying to outperform your capabilities. We all need to rest sometimes.

Speaking of:

We are all going to need a break after the election. Please take the time you need.

Maybe you’ll be hung over. Maybe you’ll be crying out of joy or sorrow or a mix of both. You may well be burned out from all of this. I know I will be.

And if you need a break before the election, please take it. There is no shame in taking care of yourself :glomp:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

What you're doing is good and thanks to you and the hundreds of thousands like you, we have a decent chance of winning this thing. Just over a week and Corbyn could be moving in to number 10 and there'll be a good shot at turning the country into something which doesn't make us all want to despair. Things can change.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I met a small comrade out and about at least. Small highlight.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't speak cat very well, when they do that (rubbin' up all on your leg or hand or whatever) does that mean that they like you, or that they're claiming you, or both?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some cats are just very friendly and will happily use you as a scratchpost. Plus I usually get on with animals.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Braggart posted:

Got a source for that? Don't get me wrong, I can believe it, but confirmation would be useful :)

https://twitter.com/BennnyH/status/1202233916003934208?s=19

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

New Statesmen coming out with their recommendation and breaking with their endorsement of Labour at the last two elections to endorse no party, saying they can't endorse Labour because of Corbyn and anti-semitism, but urge people to vote against Johnson and for... Jess Phillips

Some serious brain spiders

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Thank you all. You're good folk and I love you all.

Believe me I don't want to care about that poo poo, I know exactly what I want from life, I just want a secure roof over my head and food on the table and not to get sick and die so I can do it. Which you wouldn't think is too much to ask.

It's just hard, I try to keep on top of it but it's hard seeing so many people around you including your family just... not see the state you're in. Not care. Too stuck in their truisms and platitudes that don't actually map to reality.

I might ask to stick to leafleting and lettering for a while because this is doing a number on my brain.

Hang in there comrade, you're doing wonderful things. Do what you need to, to get through. Solidarity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

I don't speak cat very well, when they do that (rubbin' up all on your leg or hand or whatever) does that mean that they like you, or that they're claiming you, or both?

Both. They're trying to make you smell like them as a way of bringing you into their gang. Also they want to make sure you have to interact with them because otherwise you'll just trip over them.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
On the plus side, some people seem to have found hope (or despair - never bet on something you want to happen blah blah)

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/general-election-odds-labour-majority-corbyn-boris-johnson-prediction-a9230871.html

quote:

The chart showed that a Labour majority is scooping up more than one in every five of the bets placed, this despite it being a best priced 25-1 (it probably won’t please the party’s spinners to learn that their slice was coloured lime green

"Over the last 24 hours a Labour majority has been our most popular selection out of all the markets at 20/1,” said Paddy Power’s Lee Price when I raised the issue with him.

Some lovely "Oh god why are people doing this, why can't the proletariat be downtrodden" going on in that article.

That BBC article in the guardian was a desperate response to the previous anti-bbc article. Shows such disdain for the population that they are making the argument that any bias is a conspiracy theory. Hint, institutional bias does not require a shadowy cabal of conspirators.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Both. They're trying to make you smell like them as a way of bringing you into their gang. Also they want to make sure you have to interact with them because otherwise you'll just trip over them.

Interesting, that's cool. I've been unwittingly inducted into a lot of cat gangs then

And I forgot to say, hang in there Owlman. I don't think there's anyone in this thread who hasn't had moments like that, we all gotta pick each other up when it happens, and you've done an awful lot of picking up in your time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

they're also being cunts because they always pick me over everyone else near them to do it since they know i'm allergic to them i'm sure

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1202251590834540545

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1202234098837835777?s=19

I don't know how loudly I can just keep saying they don't give a gently caress about antisemitism

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I dunno this seems super tenuous to me.

My guess is the LD guy was like "this guy on the sofa armrest *points at guy* doesn't have anywhere to sit, but i saw a chair somewhere, can we pull it out for him"

Otherwise it's a super loving weird way to say "get this person out of the room" - was he the chair of the meeting or something?

I'm sure we'd all love to think the LibDems were hoping to expel the troublemaker but this is the loosest of threads to pull on and won't gain traction, there's plenty of other poo poo they've done to focus on

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

they're also being cunts because they always pick me over everyone else near them to do it since they know i'm allergic to them i'm sure

I can't remember the exact details but there's something in the body language of people who are nervous about cats that, in cat body language, says "Hey man, you seem cool, come over and talk". It's also possible that they are in fact just cunts.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I was meant to go canvassing today but I'm ill so instead I just donated loads to Labour

I really really hope we don't lose lads

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1202234098837835777?s=19

I don't know how loudly I can just keep saying they don't give a gently caress about antisemitism

Who was it? They deleted the tweet already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Who was it? They deleted the tweet already

https://twitter.com/frankthetank622/status/1202259987545886722

I assume.