Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Budgetwise keeps improving and while not automatic 99 for lifetime is not a bad deal or $4/Month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tater_salad posted:

Budgetwise keeps improving and while not automatic 99 for lifetime is not a bad deal or $4/Month.

I might try that-I just started up my Mint account again and set my budget up. I figure I’ll try that starting in January to see how I like it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's another app in development called Actual (which is a pretty loving stupid name, when trying to look it up on Google, besides its own page). It's a standalone application with sync. Currently it only has an iOS mobile app, tho. And no (proper) reports, which seems to start to become a common theme with nYNAB alternatives.

Xik posted:

God it's sooooo difficult to like YNAB as an org and product, even when the method has made such a huge positive impact on our lives. There's this sort of cultish air to all the communities (forums, reddit etc) and the staff and official comms all come off like they love the smell of their own farts even as they give you terrible advice.
I have no idea what they're even doing. More than two years ago, they talked up full functionality in the mobile/tablet apps. I'm still not seeing it. Can't even reconcile on mobile. The web app didn't really significantly change either, apart from some minor UI amenities. The Toolkit did way more during that time. Those clowns can't even roll out dark mode on both mobile platforms in parallel.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 4, 2019

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Xik posted:

We're doing our 6 monthly, "should we move over to nynab" check. I just searched how to share a budget with partner and got this thread.

God it's sooooo difficult to like YNAB as an org and product, even when the method has made such a huge positive impact on our lives. There's this sort of cultish air to all the communities (forums, reddit etc) and the staff and official comms all come off like they love the smell of their own farts even as they give you terrible advice.

I live in the more sane middle of those two where I use the tool and am glad it works for me without caring what the "communities" say. :shrug:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just a reminder to folks that old YNAB will run in WINE or on a Win7 VM basically forever.

I know thats more hoops than a lot of people want to deal with but its worked out pretty well for me.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

This is probably a commonly repeated request, but I'm just looking for a simple budgeting app that will auto-sync with all my checking accounts, saving accounts, credit cards, etc. and allow me to plan and track my budget to keep things in check.

I used YNAB4 for a few years but hated manually entering everything (or even just manually downloading files from all our accounts to import) - it was a great tool and really helped me get better with budgets, but at this point I really just want something that is more of a "make sure we are staying on track" as opposed to need to change my life for the better.

I know I tried new YNAB on a trial at some point, but for the life of me I can't remember how well it syncs up automatically with checking accounts, saving accounts, credit cards, etc, but from what I can remember it still didn't work that well. I've tried looking online to see if it's improved but haven't found a very straight answer (as someone pointed out, their forums posts are sometimes less than helpful), so was hoping some of you might have honest feedback.

Basically I'd love any advice on some of the better options that exist right now, and any honest pros and cons. If it helps at all:

1. We have no debt right now, and use a CC for almost all of our purchases which is paid off monthly. We do have multiple savings accounts set up for just a general rainy day fund, a house saving fund (ha!), a travel/tattoos/other fun poo poo fund, etc., and I can't remember if YNAB ever got over that "if you use our software you don't need separate accounts ever so we made it super hard to deal with that" ideology.
2. Back in YNAB4 days I constantly reduced categories, going from way to drat many to maybe 8-10 broad general categories for our spending. I expect I'd do the same again.
3. I will gladly pay more for something that saves time in doing this - I don't want to spend an hour or so a week manually entering/categorizing things, although I don't mind putting in some time up front to set up auto-categorizing terms or whatever it was that YNAB was able to see "PG&E" and auto-categorize it to utilities or whatever.
4. I don't really care about phone access - in an ideal world this is something I can spend an hour or two on each month at a computer when I go over our monthly finances to help keep track of things.
5. Again, this isn't to learn how to budget and manage money (YNAB4 was amazing for that), just something to help evaluate how we are doing and looking at areas we can improve from time to time.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Is Quicken something that I should look into? I'm an Excel idiot and always assumed Quicken was more for robust/corporate accounting, but I see it mentioned from time to time for household budgets. I guess I've always just been afraid of it.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 5, 2019

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

is it? last time I checked they hadn't updated in months and were bogged down in some major rewrite of their import system.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Voodoofly posted:

This is probably a commonly repeated request, but I'm just looking for a simple budgeting app that will auto-sync with all my checking accounts, saving accounts, credit cards, etc. and allow me to plan and track my budget to keep things in check.

I used YNAB4 for a few years but hated manually entering everything (or even just manually downloading files from all our accounts to import) - it was a great tool and really helped me get better with budgets, but at this point I really just want something that is more of a "make sure we are staying on track" as opposed to need to change my life for the better.

I know I tried new YNAB on a trial at some point, but for the life of me I can't remember how well it syncs up automatically with checking accounts, saving accounts, credit cards, etc, but from what I can remember it still didn't work that well. I've tried looking online to see if it's improved but haven't found a very straight answer (as someone pointed out, their forums posts are sometimes less than helpful), so was hoping some of you might have honest feedback.

Basically I'd love any advice on some of the better options that exist right now, and any honest pros and cons. If it helps at all:

1. We have no debt right now, and use a CC for almost all of our purchases which is paid off monthly. We do have multiple savings accounts set up for just a general rainy day fund, a house saving fund (ha!), a travel/tattoos/other fun poo poo fund, etc., and I can't remember if YNAB ever got over that "if you use our software you don't need separate accounts ever so we made it super hard to deal with that" ideology.
2. Back in YNAB4 days I constantly reduced categories, going from way to drat many to maybe 8-10 broad general categories for our spending. I expect I'd do the same again.
3. I will gladly pay more for something that saves time in doing this - I don't want to spend an hour or so a week manually entering/categorizing things, although I don't mind putting in some time up front to set up auto-categorizing terms or whatever it was that YNAB was able to see "PG&E" and auto-categorize it to utilities or whatever.
4. I don't really care about phone access - in an ideal world this is something I can spend an hour or two on each month at a computer when I go over our monthly finances to help keep track of things.
5. Again, this isn't to learn how to budget and manage money (YNAB4 was amazing for that), just something to help evaluate how we are doing and looking at areas we can improve from time to time.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Is Quicken something that I should look into? I'm an Excel idiot and always assumed Quicken was more for robust/corporate accounting, but I see it mentioned from time to time for household budgets. I guess I've always just been afraid of it.

For all of the bitching about nYNAB this is what the new version does best. It syncs transactions from nearly any financial company and remembers categories you've applied to similar transactions in the past.

It's a huge time saver and let's you spend more time thinking about budgeting

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

let's you spend more time not thinking about budgeting

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

El Mero Mero posted:

For all of the bitching about nYNAB this is what the new version does best. It syncs transactions from nearly any financial company and remembers categories you've applied to similar transactions in the past.

It's a huge time saver and let's you spend more time thinking about budgeting

Thanks, after doing some more research on my own it looks like it still is probably the option I want. Not sure why I bounced off the new version so hard when I tried it a couple years ago, but probably something stupid like wishing I could just use old YNAB4 with syncing.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

You guys need to let go of ynab4. They want to get paid because auto importing is hard and costs money. nYnab works great for most banks

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The yearly fee is well worth never having to worry about when Dropbox will change their sync API and break everything in 4. Also never having the "your desktop has triggered a re-sync and you will lose all your poo poo you entered for the past 3 weeks."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You can pry YNAB4 from my cold, dead hands.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Sirotan posted:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Sirotan posted:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cool, just stop complaining about it then

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The yearly fee is well worth never having to worry about when Dropbox will change their sync API and break everything in 4. Also never having the "your desktop has triggered a re-sync and you will lose all your poo poo you entered for the past 3 weeks."

Yeah I definitely got my money's worth out of YNAB4 and the upgrade has been good, especially once I set my autopaid credit cards to a normal account. gently caress dropbox, good riddance, thank you YNAB for making a product that works well, here take my money.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I still review all of the transactions for accuracy and approve them.

Being able to spend more time talking about what buckets you need and don't need and how big or small they should be is more important than the labor of filling those buckets.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When you say this about the Dropbox API, are you talking about it breaking the sync between multiple devices via Dropbox, or making YNAB4 not work at all? It seems like if you only ever used it on one computer and didn't need to sync with anything else it shouldn't need Dropbox.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You can get around the dropbox sync API by saving the budget file in a dropbox folder and opening it from there. The only issue is that YNAB creates a bunch of diff files, but I've been using this way for years and my free dropbox account still has a lot of space left.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Future Wax posted:

When you say this about the Dropbox API, are you talking about it breaking the sync between multiple devices via Dropbox, or making YNAB4 not work at all? It seems like if you only ever used it on one computer and didn't need to sync with anything else it shouldn't need Dropbox.

You don’t use the mobile app at all? That’s like half the reason to use it, so you know what you have when you go to buy something.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'm trying the leap to nYNAB again in January. Still on the fence about whether I'll auto-import or continue micromanaging. I've always liked the daily interaction, but I've noticed recently that it's effort I really don't need. Other decisions: follow nearly everyone's advice and use credit cards differently than they intend, and whether or not to try to import a "Fresh Start" budget from YNAB4 or completely start anew.

I keep paying for the cloud version but using YNAB4. After October's announcement, I want to be someplace where I don't have to worry about it breaking suddenly.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

bort posted:

I'm trying the leap to nYNAB again in January. Still on the fence about whether I'll auto-import or continue micromanaging. I've always liked the daily interaction, but I've noticed recently that it's effort I really don't need. Other decisions: follow nearly everyone's advice and use credit cards differently than they intend, and whether or not to try to import a "Fresh Start" budget from YNAB4 or completely start anew.

I keep paying for the cloud version but using YNAB4. After October's announcement, I want to be someplace where I don't have to worry about it breaking suddenly.

This same concern comes up over and over, just auto import and manually approve and reconcile when it does, there's no possible benefit doing this any other way.

As for credit cards that depends on your bank, if you carry a balance, and if you get cash back. I treat mine like they intended and it works perfectly, the only catch is that after cash back rewards, I have to move the money out of the credit card category.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I deposit cash back rewards into my checking account (instead of have them applied as statement credit) to make them easier to track and it also avoids YNAB issues.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Why is there no way to show upcoming transactions in the budget screen that go through the next month? If I'm budgeting a paycheck at the end of the month, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to see upcoming transactions a week or two ahead so I know a category is good as I roll into the next month.

Am I missing a setting in Toolkit maybe?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The date range on the filter setting goes to December 2029 by default. You can change that one, but I'm not sure how it persists and if it moves forward automatically.

You could submit a feature request and cross your fingers it'll be implemented by 2029.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

[strike]I just got a new phone and apparently they de-listed the YNAB classic app from the play store.[/strike]

EDIT: nvm

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 28, 2019

bort
Mar 13, 2003

FateFree posted:

This same concern comes up over and over, just auto import and manually approve and reconcile when it does, there's no possible benefit doing this any other way.

As for credit cards that depends on your bank, if you carry a balance, and if you get cash back. I treat mine like they intended and it works perfectly, the only catch is that after cash back rewards, I have to move the money out of the credit card category.
Great advice here, it's so much nicer having transactions clear by themselves. I can still be pretty involved and put in transactions the minute I spend, so I get the engagement I want. I do have a couple accounts with two-factor authentication, and that's annoying but no more than it was with the way I used YNAB4.

I haven't found any problems with the credit card payment budget method, either. I was worried at first that it'd screw up reports, but it's seamless.

So far, so good. I'm completing the year in YNAB4 so I have holistic reporting, but I jumped the gun and did December in nYNAB, and it's pretty great. The mobile app is so much better. Side-by-side months and moving budget item balances to the next month were nice things, but not essential.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

bort posted:

So far, so good. I'm completing the year in YNAB4 so I have holistic reporting, but I jumped the gun and did December in nYNAB, and it's pretty great. The mobile app is so much better. Side-by-side months and moving budget item balances to the next month were nice things, but not essential.

Similar here, but I'd gotten so lazy recently with YNAB4 that it was only serving as a record of how much I was spending on dumb categories when I'd went through my pile of receipts. Hopefully having a reliable copy on the phone again will help with actual budgeting. It's not a YNAB thing but I'm in the middle-ground where I'm no longer broke, but now I should be saving up for bigger goals and it's hard to remember that all the little things still add up when I'm out shopping.

It's a good opportunity to fix my categories too, I kept the old file going for about 18 months and things were starting to get messy. And nice that they still have the 10% discount.

Edit: Blimey, the Toolkit extension is wild. So many toggle switches.

uvar fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 29, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I get paid commission so my weekly paycheck is different every time. Right now I'm just putting in an amount that's slightly lower than average to take extra slow weeks into account. Is there a better way to this? Also, is there no way to edit budgets on the classic mobile app?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yes, put in exactly what you get paid and don't budget the money until you have it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I get paid commission so my weekly paycheck is different every time. Right now I'm just putting in an amount that's slightly lower than average to take extra slow weeks into account. Is there a better way to this? Also, is there no way to edit budgets on the classic mobile app?

Do what storm drain said and put in exact amounts and budget those. Ideally, you have a savings account that you can use to budget this month and then you just add your paychecks as income for next month.

The mobile app for classic ynab is pretty limited, no budget editing possible.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alright, I'll try that. Is there an updated mobile app? I didn't see anything on the Play Store.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

By the way when he said savings account he is referring to a savings category in ynab, all of your accounts should be budgeted together.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
For the person saying they couldn't find YNAB Classic in the store anymore: I couldn't either, and I had uninstalled it a while back on this phone. Through the Play Store, if you go to your library, it still appears and if you click on it, you can still install it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pure commission? I have a small monthly commission I get on top of my salary; I just have a scheduled transaction for the salary and add mileage/commission on top of that when I get paid. I run a small "Reserve Funds" category ($1000) for shortages and other oddball purchases I can draw from on a month-to-month basis.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jesus In A Can posted:

For the person saying they couldn't find YNAB Classic in the store anymore: I couldn't either, and I had uninstalled it a while back on this phone. Through the Play Store, if you go to your library, it still appears and if you click on it, you can still install it.

Yeah I triple checked and finally found it on the library tab. Thanks!

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Pure commission? I have a small monthly commission I get on top of my salary; I just have a scheduled transaction for the salary and add mileage/commission on top of that when I get paid. I run a small "Reserve Funds" category ($1000) for shortages and other oddball purchases I can draw from on a month-to-month basis.

Yup, pure commission. Better than the ten years I spent in retail and I don't actually have to sell people ON things.