Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh thank god. Having to update nvse constantly would suuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god I am thinking of spending money on creation club.

They actually got a modder to do the Mercenary stuff from Fallout 3 and it looks good....but the quest to get it is painful.

if you're talking about fallout 4 mods, search for tacoduck on nexus. pretty sure that's the name anyways. they've been creating all sorts of stuff like that for years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So I ended up making Ma-Ma from Dredd 3D, somehow.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I ended up making Ma-Ma from Dredd 3D, somehow.

Go get The Emasculator combat knife and the rest will come naturally.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Get addicted to Turbo. It's like Slow-Mo, but free other way around!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Why do some mod creators try to scrub their previous mod versions from the earth and actively fight against people still using them?

I last looked into modding FO3 and NV with TTW last year and since then they made a whole new build of TTW that is incompatible with the scores of mods that it used to be compatible with. They don't allow people o use older versions of TTW anymore.

What about my Bitercup Companion? And the guy who made Ties That Bind doesn't allow it to be used for TTW 3.2.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'll probably go for another new vegas ride, this time as a melee dude. Obviously going for a glorious nipton steel katana build.
- Any must have mod for a melee playthrough?
- Is NV interiors any good and if not, any good alternative to make the desert a bit less... well, deserted?
- Does anyone have a link to that tick fix miracle mod I saw linked a few posts ago? It's hidden on the nexus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This mod adds melee and unarmed perks that makes the combat more dynamic.

This mod adds a whole bunch of melee weapons.

This mod adds a lot of new NPCs, a new settlement, etc. It's by the ElectroCity guy, so expect some feature creep.

NVInteriors is still good, but there's not a lot in Freeside, North Vegas, etc, mostly out in the wasteland.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Why do some mod creators try to scrub their previous mod versions from the earth and actively fight against people still using them?

I last looked into modding FO3 and NV with TTW last year and since then they made a whole new build of TTW that is incompatible with the scores of mods that it used to be compatible with. They don't allow people o use older versions of TTW anymore.

What about my Bitercup Companion? And the guy who made Ties That Bind doesn't allow it to be used for TTW 3.2.

They don't want to waste time having to troubleshoot for people using the older versions, as the newer ones likely fixed many of the old issues

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

bony tony posted:

This mod adds melee and unarmed perks that makes the combat more dynamic.

This mod adds a whole bunch of melee weapons.

This mod adds a lot of new NPCs, a new settlement, etc. It's by the ElectroCity guy, so expect some feature creep.

NVInteriors is still good, but there's not a lot in Freeside, North Vegas, etc, mostly out in the wasteland.

Cheers, I'll check those out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A lot of people ikke to skip Vault 101 but it really is an excellent tutorial. I can say that, after installing and uninstalling and reinstalling FO 3 and NV and TTW for the last three days, FO 3 indisputably has a better opening.

This gets into esoteric ideas about roleplaying but people whine about the Courier having a single past deed to their name. So maybe they like wandering out of Doc Mitchell's house and just strolling about the boring, worthless stretch of the Mojave you start in. Thrilling and immersive gamepay, surely.

But in FO 3, you actually have a character and depth. New Vegas gets lauded for its roleplaying but FO 3 is the one where you have real relationships and a foundation. You have drama and suspense and growth. Instead of leisurely strolling out into the world you emerge from the only home you've ever known, you escape from the tyranny of the Vault, and behold the vast world of chaos and death that awaits you.

I hate that people treat liking FO 3 or NV more as an either/or thing; that is, if you like one you must think the other is dog poo poo. I love both games. It's just that they do things differently and have different strengths and weaknesses. FO 3 has away, WAY better beginning.

And so it's driving me loving crazy that my custom race crashes the game in FO 3 start but not NV. It worked once! But then Amata was broken. And then the Companion Controller mod was broken even after I fixed Amata and now that fluke success of using the new race isn't happening again and I'm so tired.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

It depends on what you consider the tutorial. If you're comparing doc mitchell's house to vault 101, sure, there's more stuff in vault 101, but the actual tutorial of New Vegas is Goodsprings.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Both styles of opening have their pros and cons (funneling you into the story vs. immediately opening the world and allowing you to skip as much of the introductory content as you want), but the difference is in execution IMO. None of the relationships or emotional moments in the Fallout 3 opening landed for me, and the presence of some (minor, admittedly) choice and consequence moment in the opening, which is pretty long, meant that I felt like couldn't skip it on subsequent playthroughs (by having a save at the Vault exit ready), which to most probably wouldn't matter, but to me felt pretty obnoxious.

I don't think it's necessary to think Fallout 3 is a poo poo game or anything like that, but there are a lot of differences in philosophy and writing between the two games that lead to the arguments existing. And while I think Fallout 3 does have some advantages over New Vegas, I genuinely don't think that the opening is one of them. But I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallout 3 opening is pretty bad, imo, worse than FO4, even.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Both styles of opening have their pros and cons (funneling you into the story vs. immediately opening the world and allowing you to skip as much of the introductory content as you want), but the difference is in execution IMO. None of the relationships or emotional moments in the Fallout 3 opening landed for me, and the presence of some (minor, admittedly) choice and consequence moment in the opening, which is pretty long, meant that I felt like couldn't skip it on subsequent playthroughs (by having a save at the Vault exit ready), which to most probably wouldn't matter, but to me felt pretty obnoxious.

I don't think it's necessary to think Fallout 3 is a poo poo game or anything like that, but there are a lot of differences in philosophy and writing between the two games that lead to the arguments existing. And while I think Fallout 3 does have some advantages over New Vegas, I genuinely don't think that the opening is one of them. But I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

I really just feel like the emergence into the wasteland itself blows everything in Goodsprings out of the water. I enjoy the rest of it but it really comes down to the fact I prefer the Capital Wasteland to the Mojave Wasteland. NV trumps 3 in terms of writing and characters and a bunch of other things but I never had as much fun in FONV as I did in FO3.

That is good visual storyteling, the contrast between the tiny world of the vault and the open expanse of the wastes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The difference in the "Bethesda Moment" is kind of the point. In Fallout 3, you leave the vault and it's big sky country. There's a ruined gas station nearby and a pile of rusty junk in the vague approximation of a town. A round robot floats by, playing Yankee Doodle. It's curated to throw as much Fallout imagery at you at once as it can.

But in New Vegas, it's a nothing little one horse town. There's a store, and a bar, and that's about it. And that's wonderful.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I love Goodsprings. I also love leaving immediately upon exiting Doc’s house and remaining neutral to the Powder Gangers. I wish there were more little podunk towns but Legion hosed them all (except Novac but it lacks charm aside from the Dino)

After playing Death Stranding, I’d love to do courier type poo poo in New Vegas without having to get wrapped up in the geopolitics

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 4, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Upmarket Mango posted:

I love Goodsprings. I also love leaving immediately upon exiting Doc’s house and remaining neutral to the Powder Gangers. I wish there were more little podunk towns but Legion hosed them all (except Novac but it lacks charm aside from the Dino)

After playing Death Stranding, I’d love to do courier type poo poo in New Vegas without having to get wrapped up in the geopolitics

It's a perfect recreation of a tourist trap!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I love the New Vegas start in Goodsprings in the same way I love Morrowind's start in Seyda Neen. It takes just enough of your time to get you through character creation and point you in the direction of the main quest and then steps back to let the player do whatever they want. Really emphasizes the open-world nature and makes the game far, far more pleasant to revisit.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gobblecoque posted:

I love the New Vegas start in Goodsprings in the same way I love Morrowind's start in Seyda Neen. It takes just enough of your time to get you through character creation and point you in the direction of the main quest and then steps back to let the player do whatever they want. Really emphasizes the open-world nature and makes the game far, far more pleasant to revisit.

And in both instances you also can just gently caress off and do what you want near-immediately.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bony tony posted:

The difference in the "Bethesda Moment" is kind of the point. In Fallout 3, you leave the vault and it's big sky country. There's a ruined gas station nearby and a pile of rusty junk in the vague approximation of a town. A round robot floats by, playing Yankee Doodle. It's curated to throw as much Fallout imagery at you at once as it can.

But in New Vegas, it's a nothing little one horse town. There's a store, and a bar, and that's about it. And that's wonderful.

It also emphasizes exactly where Bethesda fails in their Fallout games. There's an emphasis on poo poo you can put in a trailer. Big moments where everything is scripted and perfectly placed to make the exact tableau or trailer shot they're looking for. You step out of Vault 101 to the ruined Washington DC, a rusty sign indicating that the cliff was a lookout point, an Eyebot floating by playing patriotic songs, and a sign directing you to a big pile of scrap metal where a huge animated door grinds open as you arrive (to reveal another, less impressive door because it's a different cell inside). A sheriff is standing right inside to immediately begin talking to you as you walk in.

But when you actually get past that, the world is actually really shallow. Everything is sort of these isolated bubbles of content where someone had a neat idea and dropped it in. You encounter a Russian playboy in a penthouse, a bunch of communities that do little or no communication or have any bearing on one another, lots of quirky people living alone that have a quest about their quirk, and dungeons to raid. It's basically a game designed to look good every time you display it to the crowds and let you blow stuff up and loot raiders with an RPG system.

By contrast, the world of New Vegas is heavily connected and has more emphasis on having an actual world that you can interact with. It takes a little longer to open up, which is on purpose to give a tighter narrative experience than just dumping you in the middle of a sandbox with a quest marker. All of the different communities that you pass through are connected to each other through the world and its conflict at large. Events that occur in one place can have an effect on others, or you're sent by people to interact with members of other communities and camps who aren't necessarily part of the overarching plot.

I actually like the initial funneling of you through leveled areas because it helps introduce you to the game and give you plenty of time to learn how everything works (both mechanics and the politics and social environment of the Mojave) before opening up the sandbox completely, and repeat players will likely be able to skip that funneling altogether because of their greater knowledge and skill. By the time you're ready to start marching in any direction, you've been equipped to do so and are fully aware of the conflict and the part you're ready to play in it. That's not a writing method that's really possible with Fallout 3 or 4 because you're able to roam in every direction immediately, so the story and connections are more limited to specific areas where they can better control what happens and who you meet when.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Goodsprings teaches you about combat, sneaking, repair, making ammo, finding and making survival resources, hacking, lockpicking, talking, factions, the barter system, weapon types, etc, etc.

The conversation moved on but my point still stands.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 4, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bony tony posted:

Goodsprings teaches you about combat, sneaking, repair, making ammo, finding and making survival resources, hacking, lockpicking, talking, factions, the barter system, weapon types, etc, etc.

The conversation moved on but my point still stands.

And the best part is you can skip it! As soon as you finish character creation, you can immediately gently caress off wherever. But the clever part is they incentivize doing the tutorial stuff anyway by giving you tangible rewards for doing so, all of which will make the early game easier (especially if you're the kind to mod it to make it more difficult).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Bethesda drags you, kicking and screaming, through its set pieces and forces you to look at them, while Obsidian isn't afraid to hide its light under a bushel.

At this point, I know most of the things about New Vegas, but before I had put 200 hours into it, it was so exciting to always find new things.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, I have a soft spot for Bethesda's setpieces *as spectacle*. When they try to make them pivotal gameplay moments they often fail at making them interesting or enjoyable, but when it comes to visual spectacles, they can do surprising things that feel fresh within their own engine, which New Vegas definitely had less of (with the exception perhaps of Lonesome Road).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ulysses may be my second favorite FONV character.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 4, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Randaconda posted:

Ulysses may be my second favorite FONV character.

After who, Waking Cloud?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fantastic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Vault 101 wouldn't be so bad if you could skip certain sections and it had more variety to the role playing elements.

Goodsprings is better in my eyes. gently caress that sweetroll.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bogart posted:

After who, Waking Butt?

Dr Fantastic :kiddo:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
N'thing the opinion that Goodsprings' freedom makes it better than Vault 101, especially with how it treats both newbies and veterans. Newbies are given a short, sweet tutorial that illustrates not just one's skills, but how nonstandard ones can influence dialogue, while veterans know just where, when, and how to use Goodpsrings' resources to explore alternate paths right off the bat (like going past the cazadores with the school's Stealth Boy, for example). Hell, Vulpes even has special dialogue if you go to Nipton after meeting him in Vegas, that's how well the game was planned and written.

Whereas if I want to get to the good parts of F3, I have to play through an interminable amount of time, sink into lazy writing, and pretend like I have to give a poo poo about people I barely know after fighting my way through what are essentially zombies, out of what is essentially a tunnel.

The sad thing is, Bethesda's writers and designers can actually do a passable job if they want to. F4's Nuka-World is full of characters and gameplay that are better than the base game ever managed. The raider outpost system also introduces some actual give and take to the settlement system (not to mention rewards and gameplay effects), instead of the water+shops outposts that they were in the base game. It's just that most of the time Bethesda's just so :effort: about things.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CommissarMega posted:

Hell, Vulpes even has special dialogue if you go to Nipton after meeting him in Vegas, that's how well the game was planned and written.

WHAT

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yep, he says something like "You might not recognize me in the wolf hood," or something of the sort.

EDIT: The wiki mentions this:

quote:

If the Courier passes Nipton and first encounters Vulpes in New Vegas, Vulpes will start the Nipton conversation with a mention of that encounter on The Strip, wondering if the Courier recognizes him

And if you meet him after getting good rep with the Legion, his opening dialogue is a little different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFHq-UQ3CE

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 4, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Muggy or No-Bark or Best Friend Tabitha are my favorites.

Special mention goes to Boxcars for being the most insanely aggressive cripple in any game ever.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Vault 101 being good is one of the worst takes I've ever seen on this gay website

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

the idea that it's easier to roleplay as a character with established relationships in a setting is the worst one imo.

It's like roleplaying with training wheels

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PinheadSlim posted:

the idea that it's easier to roleplay as a character with established relationships in a setting is the worst one imo.

It's like roleplaying with training wheels

Its why Lonesome Road loving sucks

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
One major issue with the whole Vault 101 intro is that thanks to the broken Karma system in 3, you can easily gain enough good karma to instantly be marked for death as soon as you step outside the Vault, all from standing up to Butch three years before you leave the Vault. Welcome to the DC Wasteland, a Talon Company hit squad will be along shortly and will have exact details about you despite you having zero interactions with anyone outside that could have given said info.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zore posted:

Its why Lonesome Road loving sucks

Lonesome Road is fine when you remember that Ulysses is having a very elaborate psychotic breakdown and can't be trusted on any information other than "the courier dropped off a couple packages a handful of times at some random place" which is not exactly some huge revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

UED Special Ops posted:

One major issue with the whole Vault 101 intro is that thanks to the broken Karma system in 3, you can easily gain enough good karma to instantly be marked for death as soon as you step outside the Vault, all from standing up to Butch three years before you leave the Vault. Welcome to the DC Wasteland, a Talon Company hit squad will be along shortly and will have exact details about you despite you having zero interactions with anyone outside that could have given said info.

Secretly Tunnel Snakes are the biggest evil of the capital wasteland.