Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Shere posted:

I'm sure other people said it but I definitely recalled expressing that exact sentiment and yup:

To be fair, while I agree Overhaul arc was pretty much a filler arc for heroes, I feel that it contained a lot of pretty significant moments for Villain Alliance: It was the first time Shigaraki kept his temper in check and made the smart and strategically sound decision, the first time members of VA demonstrated genuine bond between each other, the first time they actually killed someone on-screen and, by getting their hands on quirk erasing bullets and...neutralizing Overhaul, the first time they achieved an undisputed victory. A lot of the development that turned Villain Alliance into credible threat to Hero Society began during this Arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Don't misunderstand, I wasn't trying to say the Yakuza Arc is filler. I am saying Overhaul feels like a character that shows up in one of those types of stories.

He's underdeveloped until a too little, too late flashback right before Deku slugs him into the sky. His power is impossible to write around long term (see the anime thread realizing his power is basically a more busted version of FMA alchemy). His sole purpose in the story is to give Shigaraki a win and the quirk erasing bullets and bow out.

Nighteye has similar problems and surprise both of them wind up disappearing from the story forever after they do what they need to.

I enjoyed the arc itself but those two characters felt more like set pieces than people.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 4, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
As someone who binged the manga a week or so ago out of curiosity of how this arc went, I will say that I expected more from Overhaul given his introduction. Instead he's just like "I have a plan" and by the end of the week he's missing his leg, Eri, and the Quirk bullets.

Nighteye is also weird because you'd think that "Guy who was All Might's sidekick" would've come up before now at some point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The arc has long lasting ramifications and Eri doesn't get disappeared into a closet but Nighteye and Overhaul end up feeling pretty superfluous to the plot because both of their powers kinda break the plot if they stick around so they got to go.

Gran Torino didn't get mentioned either until his appearance but he integrated into the plot well so it was fine. Nighteye shows up and the instant you hear what his quirk can really do- you know he has to go somehow because he ruins everything if he sticks around. Overhaul has an ungodly quirk (he can't do actual alchemy- just break down, merge, and reconstruct things. He can't say turn lead to gold), which is kinda baffling- if he can cure/reconstruct bodies you'd think he could've made bank being the ultimate street doc.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Someone asked about how Overhaul is creating the bullets in the anime thread and I can't remember if it's a spoiler to elaborate on it or not and my memory of it isn't great. I think he pretty much is just exploding her right? I recall it being pretty gruesome.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nephthys posted:

Someone asked about how Overhaul is creating the bullets in the anime thread and I can't remember if it's a spoiler to elaborate on it or not and my memory of it isn't great. I think he pretty much is just exploding her right? I recall it being pretty gruesome.

I think that is right. In terms of spoilers maybe wait until the Kirishama fight as it is during the wrap up that it is mentioned that Overhaul can basically kill someone and then instantly reform them.

Fabricated posted:

Gran Torino didn't get mentioned either until his appearance but he integrated into the plot well so it was fine. Nighteye shows up and the instant you hear what his quirk can really do- you know he has to go somehow because he ruins everything if he sticks around. Overhaul has an ungodly quirk (he can't do actual alchemy- just break down, merge, and reconstruct things. He can't say turn lead to gold), which is kinda baffling- if he can cure/reconstruct bodies you'd think he could've made bank being the ultimate street doc.

Overhaul is too caught up with trying to revive the Yakuza to worry about things like making money or that the man he claims to respect the most doesn't want his granddaughter repeatedly mutilated.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Nephthys posted:

Hunt11 posted:

I think that is right. In terms of spoilers maybe wait until the Kirishama fight as it is during the wrap up that it is mentioned that Overhaul can basically kill someone and then instantly reform them.

Yeah, I read the manga but my partner doesn't, and in the anime watchers know now that the bullets are derived from Eri, but they don't yet know that Overhaul's been exploding/reconstructing her to use her past her limits. :gonk:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's kind of funny to think about how "broken" Overhaul's quirk seemed at the time now that Shigaraki's had his absurd powerup(and will continue to get even more crazy after the doctor is finished with him).

I wonder if Overhaul's quirk could counter the effects of Shigaraki's decay?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shere posted:

... I am saying Overhaul feels like a character that shows up in one of those types of stories.

He's underdeveloped until a too little, too late flashback right before Deku slugs him into the sky. His power is impossible to write around long term (see the anime thread realizing his power is basically a more busted version of FMA alchemy)

I enjoyed the arc itself but those two characters felt more like set pieces than people.
Agreed on just about all counts. I liked Nighteye just fine and his gimmicks are awesome minus the tickle machine, but his power is one that could've been cool but was used poorly. Seeing a little into the future is neat, seeing too far and creating a "prophecy" is really lame. It was kind of cool when Deku said he'd break it tho.

Overhaul was the same minus being an awesome character. He had the potential to be cool but it was squandered because his character was basically just "a bad guy" and his powers could have been alchemy but instead they were limited to "spikes" and then later minor earthbending and a hulk out. The fight could have been infinitely more interesting had more been done with it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Eri has a flashback that shows Overhaul taking a scalpel to her.

From his conversation with Mirio it basically seems like Overhaul dissected Eri manually until she was on the verge of death and then used his quirk to fix her body. He implies to Mirio that she has died on the table before because he essentially says he can bring people back from death if he reconstructs them fast enough, and that Eri knows what that experience is like.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Overhaul didn't want to be a doctor, he wanted to dismember a kindergartner.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
overhaul both hates quirks for undermining traditional criminal organizations like the yakuza and owes his entire position in the criminal underground to quirks (both his own and eri's) and this essential hypocrisy is never called out once in the story beyond a single taunt from shigaraki at the very end

i am not getting over this

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Honestly, Shiggy calling him out on it before removing his ability to use his Quirk in a very painful way feels like a fitting end for him. Bonus that it's close to what he put Eri through.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

overhaul both hates quirks for undermining traditional criminal organizations like the yakuza and owes his entire position in the criminal underground to quirks (both his own and eri's) and this essential hypocrisy is never called out once in the story beyond a single taunt from shigaraki at the very end

i am not getting over this
Part of me thinks that Shigaraki being the person to point this out was intentional.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fabricated posted:

Part of me thinks that Shigaraki being the person to point this out was intentional.

It absolutely is because Overhaul’s thought process is ultimately rooted in mainstream society (which we know treats quirks as a dangerous thing to be controlled not something to be openly embraced outside heroes) whilst Shigi hates every part of mainstream society (admittedly because Shiggy kind of just hates everything equally outside his allies and hobbies).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

my point is that it should have been a focal point of overhaul’s character and was reduced to a one off line right before he was ejected from the story completely

it further emphasizes what a waste of time he turned out to be

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I bet we'll see Overhaul rotting in his cell at least once before the series is over. Maybe a moment where Eri confronts him and realizes she isn't afraid of him anymore.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

my point is that it should have been a focal point of overhaul’s character and was reduced to a one off line right before he was ejected from the story completely

it further emphasizes what a waste of time he turned out to be

Why should it be a focal point of his character? He's a sociopath, not a robot. "Ah, but aren't you a hypocrite because..." isn't going to cause him to shut down or have a mental break. Bad people do hypocritical things for their own benefit and generally don't give a poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

Why should it be a focal point of his character? He's a sociopath, not a robot. "Ah, but aren't you a hypocrite because..." isn't going to cause him to shut down or have a mental break. Bad people do hypocritical things for their own benefit and generally don't give a poo poo.

because, again, that hypocrisy was the closest thing to an actual character trait he had besides "germophobe" and "FMA ripoff"

the guy sucked up an entire arc to himself despite having about as much personality as the chumps he merged with a van after his very first appearance. he could have been developed more, and the dichotomy between his grudge against quirks and his reliance on his own power would have been a good place to start, but instead he served no purpose other than a face to punch and a quick foil to shigaraki, which is one of the main reasons why the yakuza arc felt like such a chore

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Lord_Magmar posted:

Shiggy's hobbies

... I kinda wanna see Shigaraki sitting down to play some videogames with Spinner, now. Though I guess the two probably have different taste in games.
Shiggy's been so busy with work lately he'd probably love to have some free time to sit down and go to town on some meaty sixty-hour RPG.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Crasical posted:

... I kinda wanna see Shigaraki sitting down to play some videogames with Spinner, now. Though I guess the two probably have different taste in games.
Shiggy's been so busy with work lately he'd probably love to have some free time to sit down and go to town on some meaty sixty-hour RPG.

Yeah, Spinner strikes me as being more of a Devil May Cry fan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

because, again, that hypocrisy was the closest thing to an actual character trait he had besides "germophobe" and "FMA ripoff"

Well, I mean, there's also "I'm doing this to repay you for everything, Boss! But you don't get me, so I'm going to put you into a coma first."

If the characters stopped to talk about all of the ways that Overhaul was a hypocrite, they'd probably have to clear their schedules.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This week's spoilers are :psyduck:

Aizawa gets bought in to talk to Kurogiri at Tartarus. Kurogiri may in fact be a modified Shirakumo or his portal quirk might be built from a combination of quirks using Shirakumo's as a base.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

kidcoelacanth posted:

i wonder if there's any word that's become as meaningless in anime discourse than filler

monster of the week as a descriptor

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I bet we'll see Overhaul rotting in his cell at least once before the series is over. Maybe a moment where Eri confronts him and realizes she isn't afraid of him anymore.

I hope she punches him in the dick as a mirror to Deku and Kota

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vinylshadow posted:

Overhaul's dick is erased from existence.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Honestly just doing the “I’m not touching yoooou” playground game with the stumps where his arms used to be is probably enough, really

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Honestly, there was so much catharsis in the way Shigaraki dealt with him that I'd rather he just stay gone. I would especially not like it if Eri were ever even near him again.

It would be kind of funny re: hypocrisy chat if he begged to have Eri rewind his hands back on though.

Dude's probably wallowing in loops like no other. "If only I had my hands I could use my quirk to fix my hands :( "

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly just doing the “I’m not touching yoooou” playground game with the stumps where his arms used to be is probably enough, really

"I mean, I could probably use my Rewind quirk to fix his hands buuuut...gently caress 'em."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You don't need Eri to see Overhaul to signify that she moved past him as the whole point of the rock concert is that she is finally free from his influence.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You think they still put Overhaul is a max security prison even though he's essentually harmless now?

I'd like to think he's in a cell next to Stain, who is stoked to hear that hero kid he liked so much is still doing good work.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hunt11 posted:

You don't need Eri to see Overhaul to signify that she moved past him as the whole point of the rock concert is that she is finally free from his influence.

no, the whole point of the rock concert was to see bakugou playing the drums

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was about Deku learning to dance?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Deku, my man, you have no rhythm.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Rhonne posted:

You think they still put Overhaul is a max security prison even though he's essentually 'armless now?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Deku, my man, you have no rhythm.

Thanks for reminding me that in spite of being a pretty minor character through both Overhaul and School Festival, Mina still managed to be one of the best chatacters.

She's too powerful, if she were ever given focus the manga would instantly become hers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Viridiant posted:

Thanks for reminding me that in spite of being a pretty minor character through both Overhaul and School Festival, Mina still managed to be one of the best chatacters.

She's too powerful, if she were ever given focus the manga would instantly become hers.
It's okay she'll get a huge boost in popularity when Horikoshi kills her in the Act 3 opening

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Fabricated posted:

It's okay she'll get a huge boost in popularity when Horikoshi kills her in the Act 3 opening

"Midoriya... never stop dancing" * dies *

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well I couldn't hold off any longer and started vigilantes. Volume one was great and I think the US releases are at vol 6. Won't take long to go through that, what's the latest chapter vs where vol 6 leaves off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kingtheninja posted:

Well I couldn't hold off any longer and started vigilantes. Volume one was great and I think the US releases are at vol 6. Won't take long to go through that, what's the latest chapter vs where vol 6 leaves off?
Chapter 45. The whole thing is on the official Viz site if you have a sub.