Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

I never used to have a problem with it, I've long felt it was a necessary part of the process of dealing with pain, I just lost the ability to do it for quite a few years coinciding with a general downturn in mental health. Which didn't help.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I can't cry and it sucks. Even when no one's around I just get an ache in my jaw and a cramp in my neck when I know I could be crying. It's not healthy or useful, it's probably more distracting and time consuming than crying would be. There's times where the only range in my expression is in just how wide and strained my military esque flat smile is.

I've been there. It might be that you don't feel that you're able to let your guard down and let your emotions out. I believe that was the case for me. I need to feel safe from potential interference, which means being either alone in surroundings I control and feel safe in (my flat), or with a person who I trust deeply and feel comforted by the presence of. Some of my friends fit that category, but most don't. Maybe more of them will in future. I hope so.

Edit: Welcome to the crying page. You each get 54 tissues and a hug :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure there's a word for emotion so overriding that you lose the ability to express it. Same reason people cry when happy I think. You can get so upset you run out of expressive responses. I used to occasionally get bouts of hysterical laughter instead.

I keep wanting to say affective override but that's something different.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure there's a word for emotion so overriding that you lose the ability to express it. Same reason people cry when happy I think. You can get so upset you run out of expressive responses. I used to occasionally get bouts of hysterical laughter instead.

It's all good. Emotional responses are important, even if they seem weird. We're all twisted up inside to a greater or lesser degree and our society does not let us deal with that properly. Let your weird and unexpected feelings run wild! :glomp:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Re-learning how to cry is a trip worth travelling but I always find that episode of Futurama is a good one for succeeding every time.

Not even gonna say which one because you all loving know which one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

I can't cry and it sucks. Even when no one's around I just get an ache in my jaw and a cramp in my neck when I know I could be crying. It's not healthy or useful, it's probably more distracting and time consuming than crying would be. There's times where the only range in my expression is in just how wide and strained my military esque flat smile is.

For various reasons I've always been the one who keeps it together when stuff's really bad, maybe because most of the rest of my family are loving drama queens. Then I let it out when I feel like it's "safe" to do so, but of course by that point I've made it impossible to actually react to The Thing, whatever it is, because I've clamped right down on it. Instead I have a collection of triggers ready to open the gates - certain songs will do it, not because they're sad in themselves but because they can do an end-run around the defences I've put up in my head. For example I barely feel a flicker thinking about my parents funerals, but "When You Were Sweet Sixteen" turns me into a blubbering wreck immediately because my mum and dad both loved that song and it was a fixture in my dad's car stereo, and hearing it puts me right back in the back seat of that lovely old Lada cringing with embarrassment at the pair of them singing along to it at the top of their lungs.

I'm aware this probably isn't the healthiest way of dealing with things but at the same time I feel almost like it's a safety valve for my emotions, and the consequences when I've not been able to release them have been pretty unpleasant for me and those around me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Joker Syndrome

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Joker Syndrome

Getting so angry at your ma being lovely that you just shout WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY and then laugh uncontrollably as you walk out of the house with the sharpest kitchen knife

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For various reasons I've always been the one who keeps it together when stuff's really bad, maybe because most of the rest of my family are loving drama queens. Then I let it out when I feel like it's "safe" to do so, but of course by that point I've made it impossible to actually react to The Thing, whatever it is, because I've clamped right down on it. Instead I have a collection of triggers ready to open the gates - certain songs will do it, not because they're sad in themselves but because they can do an end-run around the defences I've put up in my head. For example I barely feel a flicker thinking about my parents funerals, but "When You Were Sweet Sixteen" turns me into a blubbering wreck immediately because my mum and dad both loved that song and it was a fixture in my dad's car stereo, and hearing it puts me right back in the back seat of that lovely old Lada cringing with embarrassment at the pair of them singing along to it at the top of their lungs.

I'm aware this probably isn't the healthiest way of dealing with things but at the same time I feel almost like it's a safety valve for my emotions, and the consequences when I've not been able to release them have been pretty unpleasant for me and those around me.

That actually sounds like a perfectly good way to do it, as long as you know when you need to do it there's nothing at all wrong with that. The bugger is when you know you need to do it, you want to do it, but you don't have the ability.

Not least because, as noted, it can lead to highly erratic responses at crisis points.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is so good.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1202288269964263424?s=20

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Plank Sanction posted:

A Staffordshire oatcake! Radically different than the Scottish variant. The little boat Jezza's on is moored next to Stoke City's stadium on matchdays.

I'm suspicious.

Tesseraction posted:

Re-learning how to cry is a trip worth travelling but I always find that episode of Futurama is a good one for succeeding every time.

The Susan Boyle one, where you weep at how far this once amazing show has fallen?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I don't have any children. Five Pinocchios.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

deano posted:

Ahh makes sense now, i was stuggling to get my head around an oatcake and cheese on a roll, the Staffordshire ones looks tasty, might need to give them a try.(anyone got a good recipe?)
Prices check out I run the same sorta place up here and im about the same +-20p on most of that menu.

As a good, if displaced Potteries lad, I refuse to acknowledge the existence of other oat cakes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever had either kind of oat cake.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/SamGyimah/status/1201975824599146497

hahahahaaaaaahahaahhhhhhqhqhqaaywtsduud

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That actually sounds like a perfectly good way to do it, as long as you know when you need to do it there's nothing at all wrong with that. The bugger is when you know you need to do it, you want to do it, but you don't have the ability.

Not least because, as noted, it can lead to highly erratic responses at crisis points.

It took me far too long to find this way of dealing with it, and to be honest I'm annoyed that I spent so long *not* being able to reset my demons (to nick TFTM's phrase), and it just makes me feel all the more empathy for people who, for whatever reason, just can't.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Has anyone reported him to Prevent?

No but that’s a *great* idea!

Which I have just done with the entry “a local man is advocating for killing your enemies if you really believe you should - I think he’s been radicalised by the far right”.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 4, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There is an amazing troll account in the replies that really confused me at first https://twitter.com/krankyvalli/status/1202289017812848640

https://twitter.com/krankyvalli/status/1202292873472942087

https://twitter.com/krankyvalli/status/1202282305181671437

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I've ever had either kind of oat cake.
Well, oats' for horses, Lord, they ain't for men.
They say it kills you, but they don't say when.
c'mon, Mama, let's rent us a boat.
We'll sail down that Gibraltar moat;
Shed a tear every time we pass Tangiers.
Oatcake, oatcake...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

The Susan Boyle one, where you weep at how far this once amazing show has fallen?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And in this case I really mean it - I'm not just doing that thing where you pretend something inconvenient never happened, like Darker Than Black S2. But genuinely I didn't watch it once it was picked up again because I was worried it would go Late Simpsons and trialing the first new episode confirmed my suspicions.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

I was going to make a guillotine joke, but I was beaten like a prisoner in a Boer war concentration camp.

Have some #MoggMentum

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1202268280003715072

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Because of the drat meme I'm sure I know which one you're hinting at, but Futurama's got several tear jerkers.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Oh man, I got angry at first and the just lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RockyB posted:

I was going to make a guillotine joke, but I was beaten like a prisoner in a Boer war concentration camp.

Have some #MoggMentum

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1202268280003715072

Holy motherfucking poo poo you let mogg out of his box for one minute and he spends it saying that concentration camps are good, actually.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Because of the drat meme I'm sure I know which one you're hinting at, but Futurama's got several tear jerkers.

i waited for you fry

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

futurama retconned and ruined all of its best moments when it got brought back, a massive mistake

fight me if you disagree

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Holy motherfucking poo poo you let mogg out of his box for one minute and he spends it saying that concentration camps are good, actually.

Are you surprised? But anyway this from weeks ago. So OLD NEWS WHO CARES

jorobom cobmob loves anitsemitic murals

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

i waited for you fry

Yes that one but the ending of "The Luck of The Fryish" had more of an impact for me. Maybe 'cos of Simple Minds? Music has a weird effect on me. :/

Oh and the series finale.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

futurama retconned and ruined all of its best moments when it got brought back, a massive mistake

fight me if you disagree

yeah people said that and I agree the retcons are dumb which is why I don't give a poo poo if it's retconned, the original episode stands on its own

that universe still exists!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm surprised that bacon grease mob doesn't understand that modulated yawning his way through "concentration camps were actually for the protection of the people put in them" has to be the most stupid loving thing for a man in his position to do.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

I don't usually read twitter comments, are his tweets usually bombarded by negativity like I'm seeing here?

Also hugs to all you guys. I'm highly sensitive and cry at the drop of a hat and it winds me up, but there you go. It's tough to be sensitive in this world.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And in this case I really mean it - I'm not just doing that thing where you pretend something inconvenient never happened, like Darker Than Black S2. But genuinely I didn't watch it once it was picked up again because I was worried it would go Late Simpsons and trialing the first new episode confirmed my suspicions.

I'm jealous, it gets really bad. Leela gets a boil on her buttock which can talk and sing and is called Susan Boil, geddit

Tesseraction posted:

i waited for you fry

the dog episode is overrated

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, there are a bunch of people who have nothing better to do than scream at anyone suggesting better things are possible.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

meanwhile in middle earth

https://twitter.com/Anna_bw/status/1202036126501855235

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ratjaculation posted:

fight me if you disagree

Considering they were only a few years apart OG Futurama and Nu Futurama are so drastically different in tone it's crazy. It suddenly became just another animated show that felt the need to cram a parody of a hot button current issue into every episode (usually a year after it's relevant).

And the true sad episodes are the bee one and the clover one. The dog one was ruined by memes.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

lol, airhead Corbyn has an arrow going in one ear and out the other, I knew he was dumb

But he's also a dangerous commie mastermind who will steal your house before the Tories get a chance to force you out of it! :tinfoil:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Yes that one but the ending of "The Luck of The Fryish" had more of an impact for me. Maybe 'cos of Simple Minds? Music has a weird effect on me. :/

That is the other one I think of tbf. Loads of comedies are good at doing pathos on a dime.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

the dog episode is overrated

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tesseraction posted:

That is the other one I think of tbf. Loads of comedies are good at doing pathos on a dime.

comedy is harder than tragedy so it's always easier to gear down than up

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Deketh posted:

Also hugs to all you guys. I'm highly sensitive and cry at the drop of a hat and it winds me up, but there you go. It's tough to be sensitive in this world.

This is also not a thing to be ashamed of, and gently caress anyone who tries to tell you otherwise! :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There are some really good episodes in the newer Futurama seasons. But generally yes the tone did change a bit and their budget per episode was lower as well I believe.