Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Inceltown posted:

US companies would deliberately make things less safe even if it cost more money initially because a death payout is smaller than a medical bill payout for something they might have been responsible for.

That’s why insurance companies are so stoked about repealing motorcycle helmet laws and making sure new ones don’t get implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1202063213652660224

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Tubgoat posted:

It's an aesthetic/theme romanticised by racists, too.

also bougie hipster poo poo!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tubgoat posted:

It's an aesthetic/theme romanticised by racists, too.

And further tied into white people making money selling weed while black people who got arrested for selling weed are barred from doing it legally now because of criminal records.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

mysterious frankie posted:

Is “marijuana sales as a vector for anti-blackness” enough of a thing that there are competing representations of it outside of the debate raging at the tea party in this persons head?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amandachicagolewis/americas-white-only-weed-boom

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Rich white people ruin weed big surprise. Just boycott the weed boycotts have historically been sooo effective

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/FreightHerder/status/1201975627693379590

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I get it now. Learn something new every day... and from buzzfeed of all places.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

I get it now. Learn something new every day... and from buzzfeed of all places.

BuzzFeed has always had a surprisingly legit investigative group

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

honestly, I’ll take killing people with a heavy pile of swords launched at them over indiscriminately missile striking entire weddings

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sword missiles arent cyberpunk, autonomous multi use knife missiles are. sword missiles, much like electric cars or predator drones, are the depressing real life version of the cool cyberpunk.

anyway I can guarantee it doesnt exist because of collateral damage concerns, it exists because DARPA or whoever designed Hellfires realized they could get a new R&D contract and also cut on manufacturing costs at the same time. if you only plan to hit on person, no need for the expensive explosive compound. anyway it's not like the exotic goodies coming out of combusted missile fuel are good for you.

Larry Parrish has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Dec 4, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe they can build a missile equivalent of those chariots with bladed wheels so they don't have to give up on the multikills?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

some dudes gonna survive the sword missile by wearing plate armor

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The 'switchblade' isnt a knife missile but it IS very cyberpunk

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

some dudes gonna survive the sword missile by wearing plate armor

hammer missle

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feral Integral posted:

hammer missle

that's already a thing, the original "low collateral damage" airborne weapons were essentially concrete cylinders fitted with laser guidance fins intended for directly hitting tanks

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Enough with all this violence! Isn't it about time we beat our sword-missiles into plow-missiles?!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fin stabilised knife missles

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Rereading an old Asimov short story collection, and the old fucker managed to almost nail the exact year self driving cars came out in 1953 in Sally

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Was Asimov the one that wrote a story about self driving cars murdering someone and it gets blamed on turning off the auto driving capability?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

taqueso posted:

Was Asimov the one that wrote a story about self driving cars murdering someone and it gets blamed on turning off the auto driving capability?

The very same story. I didn't realize how class conscious all the robot stories were.

Strikebreaker is also a cspam as gently caress story

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I say I dont like Asimov, its cuz I think his dialogue is pretty boring. But hes a really good sci fi writer when it comes to the other parts. Like I wont say the Caves of Steel is super compelling, it's kind of dry. But it does an extremely good job of saying 'technology will never save you from yourself'. Hes probably one of the best at that.

Plus as funny as it is to say about a sci fi writer, he absolutely did inspire a bunch of people.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Larry Parrish posted:

When I say I dont like Asimov, its cuz I think his dialogue is pretty boring. But hes a really good sci fi writer when it comes to the other parts. Like I wont say the Caves of Steel is super compelling, it's kind of dry. But it does an extremely good job of saying 'technology will never save you from yourself'. Hes probably one of the best at that.

Plus as funny as it is to say about a sci fi writer, he absolutely did inspire a bunch of people.

I've always described it as "all characters in his stories just sound like Isaac Asimov"

But the stories like the one where the robot has a dream where it sees robots all over the world doing back breaking labor but it dreams of itself as a human and Dr. Calvin murders it for that is great

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I like the Asimov story where a robot gets stuck doing laps around a lake of bullshit because it can't get any closer without dying but it can't leave before fulfilling its mission so it just does circles until some technicians have to brave the horrible Mercury environment to go fetch it

I feel like there's some meaning to be gleaned from this

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
books don't mean anything they're just entertainment, like a painting or a song

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

blatman posted:

I like the Asimov story where a robot gets stuck doing laps around a lake of bullshit because it can't get any closer without dying but it can't leave before fulfilling its mission so it just does circles until some technicians have to brave the horrible Mercury environment to go fetch it

I feel like there's some meaning to be gleaned from this

i robot was a good short story collection imo

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So people on twitter figured out most of the art stealing on t-shirt sites is just being automatically done by bots that look for tweets and replies that say "i want this on a shirt"

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1202229358112464896

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1202272580918562818

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So people on twitter figured out most of the art stealing on t-shirt sites is just being automatically done by bots that look for tweets and replies that say "i want this on a shirt"

:goatsecx: shirt when?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Teal posted:

that's already a thing, the original "low collateral damage" airborne weapons were essentially concrete cylinders fitted with laser guidance fins intended for directly hitting tanks

there's a sci-fi manga where, instead of using bombs, they drop tungsten rods from orbit. I've always wondered how much that was rooted in reality.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What are you waiting for

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
We regret to inform you that the cop doorbell is racist https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1202293953950826497?s=19

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Enough with all this violence! Isn't it about time we beat our sword-missiles into plow-missiles?!

:golfclap:

We did try a jet-plow once but it didn't work out so great: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mike12345 posted:

there's a sci-fi manga where, instead of using bombs, they drop tungsten rods from orbit. I've always wondered how much that was rooted in reality.

the mil _wants_ to do it because there are international treaties that ban 'weapons' in space. a bunch of 100 pound tungsten spears would technically not be weapons. thats why they keep talking about rods from god or whatever

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

mike12345 posted:

That has been a defense contractor wet dream for a couple decades at least. It's usually referred to as "rods from god"

It's rooted in reality inasmuch as yes a super hard heat resistant hunk of metal hitting the Earth at re-entry speed would do a ton of damage.

It's entirely impractical for a ton of reasons. The actual explosion wouldn't be much more powerful than any conventional bomb. There are treaties in place that outlaw militarizing space. And most insurmountable of all is the simple fact that it is always going to take exponentially more energy to get those rods into space than you would get from dropping them.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

mike12345 posted:

yeah as pointed out before, it's realistically possible, tactically viable, but the most generous justification for why'd you actually do that is "it'd try to skirt around some treaties on basis of a really obvious technicality"

the potential to strike any one place on earth without a warning and with pretty much no possible countermeasures would be something most superpowers would be willing to Kessler Syndrome the orbit over immediately which is also the main reason why it's not practical even in the case you'd be willing to overpay so much for a weapon that's not even so powerful; it'd not take a nuclear war to disarm but it'd turn orbit and access to space useless for everyone

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

im on the net me boys posted:

We regret to inform you that the cop doorbell is racist https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1202293953950826497?s=19

"gently caress crime" is maybe the funniest thing they could have gone with. the perfect intersection of "trying too hard to seem Hip" and "total refusal to think critically about the world or be in any way subversive"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

elizabeth warren maintains strong support anong professional-managerial class liberals

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

From the FFXIV goon discord:

(because I'm probably gonna delete this image at some point in case some historian wants to dig through the archives: A goon's groupchat has someone whose sister just started work today as a merchandising lawyer for Disney.)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wait are we stanning the mouse and IP for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait are we stanning the mouse and IP for some reason?

Sometimes bad people can do good things.