Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ScrubLeague posted:

hello i posted this in the trump thread and i'm sure there's zero people who read this thread but not that one

i saw fury road getting so many #1 of the decades and tried to make my own list and guess what the correct answer is fury road

https://medium.com/@originalscrub/best-media-of-the-2010s-1ad7e10a9e0c

you lost me at "Books are for nerds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
how do you put the force awakens in the same list as fury road and nightcrawler and look yourself in the mirror

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
tbh there are things on that list i've been meaning to check out, but will now do so because scrubleague said they were good

i think that 'the act of killing,' a documentary, is the most egregious omission. besides books

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Finicums Wake posted:

tbh there are things on that list i've been meaning to check out, but will now do so because scrubleague said they were good

i think that 'the act of killing,' a documentary, is the most egregious omission. besides books

havent seen it, didn't come to theaters, was never on hbo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Act of Killing may still be on Netflix. Never got to see the sequel though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

really not a film of act of killing at all personally its editing is so aggressively and obviously manipulative that i honestly dont trust anything it has to say about who the former death squad fascists its following around are like as people

the main obvious way it does this is that even though the classic hollywood showtunes film the fascists are making is frequently referenced as the films central gimmick we never at any point are given enough context for what this film is about or where the various snippets we get appear in the story to be able to make any kind of informed judgment about what they were trying to say its just presented as goofy wacky fascists being completely incapable of forming a coherent moralistic narrative when in reality this effect is only a result of selective editing

the more mundane scenes suffer from the same problem a whole lot was made about the guy at the old end feeling pangs of guilt for what he had done but for all we know the dude was just trying and failing to impress his grandkids and suffered from a stomachache because he got food poisoning most reviewers who came up with the deep moral absolution take on those scenes thought they did so on their own but this interpretation is the one clearly implied by the editing and its extremely naive to think it was intended any other way

in general act of killing goes far out of its way to avoid contextualizing anything solely so it can try to apply some kind of weird universalistic statement to how fascists think and i found this really irritating because every so often we get a glimpse of what the countrys political culture is like with snippets of a right wing rally or listening to what war criminals have to say on the indonesian version of fox and friends but rather than try and make an analogy to anything relatable the filmmakers just act like everything is happening in wacky land and that theres just no understanding how fascists think

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That's a really bad reading of the movie imo. Anybody who thought the last scene was a "moral absolution" doesn't even get how moral absolution works. The former death squad members also weren't making their own movie, they were allowed to direct their own scenes recreating what they did in the ways they wanted them to be seen - which is as a Hollywood thriller where they're the hardboiled good guys.

It's not like it mystifies how fascists think either. The main subject states plainly that he made his living as a gangster by scalping tickets, and if the communists had their way then they would've done away with American movies & the market in general, which would've made it impossible for him to live as a lumpenprole. They viewed the communists as something that would threaten what was so great about living in an Americanized conception of "freedom," which is the opportunity for yourself to become rich & powerful by hook or by crook. It demystifies the underpinnings of fascism, if anything.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The former death squad members also weren't making their own movie, they were allowed to direct their own scenes recreating what they did in the ways they wanted them to be seen - which is as a Hollywood thriller where they're the hardboiled good guys.

thats an extremely pedantic distinction as to whether they were making a single feature film or just a series of smaller short films with similar subjects but the ridiculous thing is the movie presents so little context about what exactly the fascists were doing with their film production materials and how they interpreted the scenes they were making relative to each other its impossible to know what their actual vision was or what kind of movie or movies they thought they were making

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The main subject states plainly that he made his living as a gangster by scalping tickets, and if the communists had their way then they would've done away with American movies & the market in general, which would've made it impossible for him to live as a lumpenprole.

see this is the kind of thing i would have really really liked to have gotten more context about because im very skeptical that his whole career was this one dimensional or even that this was an accurate representation of what the communists were going to do at all or whether any of this even had anything to with his actual reasons for participating in the death squads but the movie takes all of this information at face value and doesnt even try to explain the context let alone question the truthfulness of its subjects

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 11:00 on Dec 4, 2019

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Finicums Wake posted:

you lost me at "Books are for nerds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haxk7l1pBTM

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

thats an extremely pedantic distinction as to whether they were making a single feature film or just a series of smaller short films with similar subjects but the ridiculous thing is the movie presents so little context about what exactly the fascists were doing with their film production materials and how they interpreted the scenes they were making relative to each other its impossible to know what their actual vision was or what kind of movie or movies they thought they were making

see this is the kind of thing i would have really really liked to have gotten more context about because im very skeptical that his whole career was this one dimensional or even that this was an accurate representation of what the communists were going to do at all or whether any of this even had anything to with his actual reasons for participating in the death squads but the movie takes all of this information at face value and doesnt even try to explain the context let alone question the truthfulness of its subjects

The purpose of the movie isn't to contextualize the mass murder, it's to make the murderers the primary subjects so that they can explain themselves in their own terms - which is something that almost never happens because in most cases the mass murderers aren't powerful enough after the fact to feel that confident. Instead of being threatened by some sort of reconciliatory justice they're still paramilitary arms of the government.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats ridiculous mass murderers explain themselves in their own terms all the time and im just a little baffled that a poster as outspoken about imperialistist propaganda as yourself can write something like that with a straight face

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

thats ridiculous mass murderers explain themselves in their own terms all the time and im just a little baffled that a poster as outspoken about imperialistist propaganda as yourself can write something like that with a straight face

That's not really the same thing though. You can get plenty of material on all of the shot-callers, but there's relatively little from the guys who did the actual killings. It's like saying there's more than enough testimony from SS sonderkomandos.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im trying to picture someone making a movie about sonderkomandos wherein theyre allowed to tell their side of the story and pretend to feel bad about following hitlers orders and uh the comparison really isnt doing much to improve my opinion of act of killing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The whole point of Act of Killing is that they don't feel bad at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ScrubLeague posted:

hello i posted this in the trump thread and i'm sure there's zero people who read this thread but not that one

i saw fury road getting so many #1 of the decades and tried to make my own list and guess what the correct answer is fury road

https://medium.com/@originalscrub/best-media-of-the-2010s-1ad7e10a9e0c

I want to make it clear, I do not read the Trump thread, and will not

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Skellybones posted:

The minions worked on the Manhatten Project in WWII. They had nothing to do the Holocaust because they'd already invented concentration camps for the British Empire and won't do the same job twice.

pretty awesome that the minions actually exist irl and are literally mckinsey consultants

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The whole point of Act of Killing is that they don't feel bad at all.

Well right, wouldn't the Communists have done the same to them if the shoe was on the other foot?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1202152291542810624?s=19

That's forums poster mister bibs in the screenshot

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

jackandrichfromrlmcallingmrbibswrong.gif

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Everybody hates von Trier, but there's not much more CSPAM than this Melancholia clip, surprised it's not been mentioned in anyone's best of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb69TMISL_Y

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Whorelord posted:

jackandrichfromrlmcallingmrbibswrong.gif

What

Serf
May 5, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

lol the same mr bibs who almost died eating a hot dog and couldn't pass the silver training mode challenge in wow because he refused to learn what buttons to press?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

lol the same mr bibs who almost died eating a hot dog and couldn't pass the silver training mode challenge in wow because he refused to learn what buttons to press?

I remember the second half but what's the first

Serf
May 5, 2011

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Finally catching up on Mandalorian.

Is it supposed to feel like a video game cutscene compilation, or is that just my diseased brain talking?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What's this from tho

Serf
May 5, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I remember the second half but what's the first

he just related the story of how he tried to swallow a hotdog whole, not on a bet or anything just because, and almost died

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's this from tho

some stream where he was in the chat saying some dumb poo poo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Forceholy posted:

Finally catching up on Mandalorian.

Is it supposed to feel like a video game cutscene compilation, or is that just my diseased brain talking?

The parts where he goes to get his armor upgraded definitely feel that way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Tbis doesn't even make me angry, just incredibly sad someone could believe this is true

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1202241181398290432?s=20

uhhhh

e: though it appears Depp's production company is denying his involvement

LGD has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Dec 4, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's this from tho

Serf posted:

some stream where he was in the chat saying some dumb poo poo

He said the only reason RLM didn't like the prequels was that they were "Not Their Star Wars" and not due to any flaws inherent in the films

That classic gif is Jack's response.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

Everybody hates von Trier, but there's not much more CSPAM than this Melancholia clip, surprised it's not been mentioned in anyone's best of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb69TMISL_Y

good pull. only losers hate Von trier and melancholia is probably my fave film of the decade

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
If you haven't seen Letterkenny, it's a great show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P5pQb7TCTo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yeah uh why would cspam hate von trier im having trouble thinking of anything in any of his movies this subforum would have a problem with

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

MizPiz posted:

If you haven't seen Letterkenny, it's a great show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P5pQb7TCTo

Yeah, Letterkenny is great. Apparently, it's the closest portrayal of living in Rural Canada.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

General Dog posted:

The parts where he goes to get his armor upgraded definitely feel that way.

I'm pretty sure the Old Republic MMO had a questline just like episode 4. Probably even for the bounty hunter character.

The other impression I get is that it is very similar to Stargate - we get a different planet of the week and the SG team, I mean Mando and Baby Yoda, have to save a different Renaissance faire village. I guess on the upside we will probably get to see more variety in locales rather than just different parts of the Vancouver forests.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i didn't know about mister bibs until now but drat he rocks

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

wow theres a new season of rick and morty and it has elon musk in it and its also extremely bad so far

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm pretty sure the Old Republic MMO had a questline just like episode 4. Probably even for the bounty hunter character.

The other impression I get is that it is very similar to Stargate - we get a different planet of the week and the SG team, I mean Mando and Baby Yoda, have to save a different Renaissance faire village. I guess on the upside we will probably get to see more variety in locales rather than just different parts of the Vancouver forests.

Ep 4 seemed like an episode of xena or hercules, and that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Organic Lube User posted:

I mean the first three episodes are him finding, retrieving, and deciding to escape with the baby so

Not really