Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Catching up with the live stream but I *really* like Karlan, she's extremely good at this.

e: drat another shameful snipe

https://twitter.com/AwwwwCats/status/1199838637501878272?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

SubG posted:

Ranking member of House Judiciary here arguing that nobody can really know what the Constitution means.

Funny how that is the case only when it hurts Republicans.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
During the last recess, a lady on CNN, like someone paid probably hundreds of thousands of dollars to talk about this poo poo, had her mind blown that the founders made it so the president had to be a natural born citizen because of fear of foreign interference. Like, she knew the first part, that the president had to be a natural born citizen, but she was amazed about the reason. How is that even possible? I don't think I was ever even told that, but it's the obvious reason that anyone would simply "get". Man, CNN.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
The pool of tenured constitutional scholars from tier 1 or 2 law schools that would be willing to argue against impeachment here has got to be pretty shallow

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If anyone's feeling bored, here is a law review article written by one Prof. Turley regarding the nature of impeachment proceedings.

quote:

The records from the Constitutional Convention and state ratification debates are simply too sparse and varied to sustain any clear interpretation of the adoption of the English standard. Three conclusions about this standard, however, appear well established and generally accepted. First, the impeachment standard was clearly intended to extend beyond criminal acts to include some noncriminal acts....

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

1glitch0 posted:

During the last recess, a lady on CNN, like someone paid probably hundreds of thousands of dollars to talk about this poo poo, had her mind blown that the founders made it so the president had to be a natural born citizen because of fear of foreign interference. Like, she knew the first part, that the president had to be a natural born citizen, but she was amazed about the reason. How is that even possible? I don't think I was ever even told that, but it's the obvious reason that anyone would simply "get". Man, CNN.

You were never told this obvious tidbit that in the era of Cathrine the great no one wanted an Austrian ruling America?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
The "Independent" callers on CSPAN are always the biggest chuds

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I did, but I’ll count it as important once he suffers consequences. Otherwise it’s more “hey crimes happened but whatever man” bullshit typical of modern politics. Why would I leap paying attention if no one ever gets their comeuppance?

In that case no, no one has been directly sent to prison yet. Might want to check out of the thread again for a year or so.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

As I understand it, Republicans got to choose 1 witness while Democrats chose 3. Is that because Democrats are the majority or is that because there's only 1 Constitutional law professor with a reputation who is willing to stick their neck out and say this isn't impeachable?

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

"I've been a life long Democrat until they started trying to impeach Trump."

Interesting.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HootTheOwl posted:

You were never told this obvious tidbit that in the era of Cathrine the great no one wanted an Austrian ruling America?

lol, I wasn't personally, because of a lack of education, but it seemed like a pretty obvious thing to deduct from knowing that you had to be a naturally born citizen to be president.

Also, I did have a weird moment of clarity when CNN came back from its break with the graphic of Trump's head next to "Impeachment Hearing". This feels like it was so inevitable. I remember back in 2015 when Trump was flirting with running and I knew he wouldn't because he's an idiot conman who has done all the crimes and it would expose him. Then he actually ran and I was sure he would drop out for the same reason. Then he won the primary and I was sure he would tank it because even he knew he was punching above his weight and if he won the presidency he would be under too much scrutiny. Then he won and of course he's going to be impeached.

It's like the finale of Veep when you hear who got impeached. It's like, it couldn't have gone any other way.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

oxsnard posted:

The "Independent" callers on CSPAN are always the biggest chuds

I like the crazy deep state callers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

1glitch0 posted:

lol, I wasn't personally, because of a lack of education, but it seemed like a pretty obvious thing to deduct from knowing that you had to be a naturally born citizen to be president.

My other comment was a little crass but serious question: Are you an American?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

I like the crazy deep state callers.

Now I'm just imagining someone claiming to be "the Deep State" calling in with a voice-masking app.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

My other comment was a little crass but serious question: Are you an American?

Oh yeah. I just was never told the specific reasoning for the reason the president has to be a natural born citizen. I just kinda figured it out on my own. That's why I was baffled that someone who does this for a living wouldn't know that.

Stickman posted:

Now I'm just imagining someone claiming to be "the Deep State" calling in with a voice-masking app.

They have to use the Scream killer voice.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
When do they resume?

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

What is Beard-o talking about making a fake name for?

^^^ 2:30 EST, I believe. So like, soon.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1202306224689168389?s=20

apparently January is missing because McConnell has earmarked that for the Senate trial.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Jerrold is about to gavel in...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I find it kind of funny that the republican witness seems to have made a run for it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Oh hey, it's Fat gently caress!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
this human potato sounds like a homeless drunk

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Clear your throat you dunce

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Is the argument really: "What high crimes and misdemeanors rise to the level of being impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors?" lol, they have literally nothing.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Jim Sensenbrenner is an old fat fart and and the western suburbs of Milwaukee are a blight

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Jim Sensenbrenner is an old fat fart and and the western suburbs of Milwaukee are a blight

He sounds like a dying auto-tune machine.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

oxsnard posted:

this human potato sounds like a homeless drunk

This human potato is my rep. Thankfully he's retiring.

Unfortunately, he may be replaced by Scott Walker's kid.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Sensenbrenner sounds like a walrus gurgling underwater

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
give him a few seconds to clear his throat.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ah yes back to the well he didn't say "quid pro qou"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

pahuyuth posted:

Sensenbrenner sounds like a walrus gurgling underwater

He sounds like Brian Doyle-Murray on his death bed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sensenbrenner: "It's going on for 4 months now..."

Also Sensenbrenner: "This should not be done quickly"

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

HootTheOwl posted:

give him a few seconds to clear his throat.

I recognize the gentleman

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Binders full of wafers

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Poor Barron.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
DAAAAAAMMMMNNNNNN

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Ehud posted:

I recognize the gentleman

The republican party doesn't know much years they've got left, so they're gonna get really weird with it.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

DAAAAAAMMMMNNNNNN

I can't listen in, what happened?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I feel like Noah Feldman got beat up a lot as a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Noah Feldman looks like a old time 1940s gentleman from Harvard/Yale. Love the hair.