Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I had to take a sabsatical.

The music in the church was top music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sounds like you missed some really big stuff. On your next playthrough make sure you talk more to Lena (the lady in the wheelchair in the Whirling) and do her questline, get the reality lowdown from Joyce, and do all the church stuff.

quote:

Also, and I’m not trying to toot my own horn here, the game was a bit easier than I anticipated it would be. Managing your health, morale and how much money you have was tough for the first few days but by the time I beat the game I had over 9 healing items for each category, seven skill points I hadn’t spent yet and over 100 real. I know it’s not some sort of survival horror game so managing these sorts of things aren’t as relevant here, but I did feel the game was lacking in challenge near the final stretch.

I don't think it's supposed to be a challenging game. It's all about the narrative and role-playing. Making it difficult would probably just be frustrating and impede enjoyment of the writing. Look at how people feel about all the combat in Planescape for example. Presumably that was there to make the game challenging, but it's universally considered the worst thing about that game.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 4, 2019

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I'm so in love with The Pale. The very concept is terrifying and somehow, this intrigues me. I genuinely wonder why something so existentially awful is so deeply fascinating to me. :allears:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Xarbala posted:

The world of DE is existentially horrifying and people just sort of carry on with their lives, regardless, because that's what you do.

I appreciated that most of Kim's reluctance to let you get that lowdown is that he doesn't want you to have a breakdown or pass out in front of an important person in the case, and after, he's like, "Yeah it's crazy, but everybody else deals with it. Let's go."

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
People weren't kidding about the failed-check karaoke song being better. Holy poo poo.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

This game was incredible and I'm kinda sad I finished it. I really, really want more good RPGs now. Had no idea how much I had missed the feeling of playing a drat good RPG. This is my favorite one since Fallout 2.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Neuronyx posted:

I'm so in love with The Pale. The very concept is terrifying and somehow, this intrigues me. I genuinely wonder why something so existentially awful is so deeply fascinating to me. :allears:

Because except for the literal physical bit, The Pale is real IRL too. Being a conscious animal means we're aware of unconsciousness, of death, of anti-realty and on some level aware that everything we do is motivated by an effort to not think about that (and also motivated by a deeper, troubling desire to only think about that.) Disco Elysium just uses a slightly weird metaphor to talk about the very real aspect of being self-aware, but The Pale is here on earth too and it's just as compelling.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Xarbala posted:

The Pale is basically a place where all history and memory of the past collects, except it's kind of like if a dream is physically intruding on reality, and within it the normal laws of physics don't really function. And the deeper you go, the further you're separated from reality as you know it, only to exist in memory. And it's a physical, topographical reality that covers the vast majority of the planet that Disco Elysium takes place in. To the point where continents and their associated oceanic shelves--isolas--are just chunks of the planet that are basically floating in a sea of Pale. If it were a sphere at some point, well, it's not anymore. It's broken up islands of reality floating in an ocean of memory hurtling through space I guess. Incidentally, because the laws of physics are so weak in the Pale, you don't fly through it normally with like wind resistance or sail through it like normal ships, you straight up fling craft through it the way you fling spacecraft through the void. That's why aircraft in setting are called aerostatics rather than airplanes--they're designed to both fly through the air under their own power as well as fling themselves ballistically from isola to isola.

The world of DE is existentially horrifying and people just sort of carry on with their lives, regardless, because that's what you do.

I...see. :stare:

That certainly is imaginative. I remember there being a white check to ask her to elaborate on it some more, but my odds of passing it were so low that I didn't bother and ultimately forgot about it up until the shoot out in front of Whirling-in-Rags which lead to her fleeing town. It's amazing how I was able to go through 30+ hours of this game and somehow avoid having someone explain that to me. In fact I only heard it mention in passing about two or three times. Its incredible how DE is a game that is set in such an elaborately creative and fascinating universe and yet, as a game, in all takes place in one very small patch of that world that the rest of society seemed to forget. It's also impressive how much content they were able to pack in to that small environment too. It reminds me of how Kamurocho in the Yakuza series is minuscule compared to the open worlds of modern games, and yet it is so much more dense than all those other locations in regards to content.

Wafflecopper posted:

Sounds like you missed some really big stuff. On your next playthrough make sure you talk more to Lena (the lady in the wheelchair in the Whirling) and do her questline, get the reality lowdown from Joyce, and do all the church stuff.

I don't think it's supposed to be a challenging game. It's all about the narrative and role-playing. Making it difficult would probably just be frustrating and impede enjoyment of the writing. Look at how people feel about all the combat in Planescape for example. Presumably that was there to make the game challenging, but it's universally considered the worst thing about that game.

Oh, I guess I wasn't the super sleuth I thought I was. At least that means there's a lot more content for me to unlock.

Also, yeah, I know the real meat and potatoes of DE is the narrative-driven part of the gameplay and the struggle to keep your character alive and sane is only supplementary to that. I was just disappointed how, by the end of the game, I had so many healing items that it rendered having to do all that mostly trivial. The shootout in front of the Whirling-in-Rags is a little less suspenseful when you know you can tank everything because you have eight healing items. Still loved it though.

I think I missed a lot of side content because I felt pressured to crack the case as quickly as possible. Also, because I assumed the game would let me continue exploring Martinaise after beating it, but I guess I was wrong there. RPG or adventure games that pressure me to completing a main quest items in a specified allotted amount of time always kind of rubbed me the wrong way and it's why I had trouble getting in to the first Fallout game and Majora's Mask. The way DE does it feels much better to me than those other games, but I did feel the pressure to focus almost exclusively on the case and I wish I didn't let it get to me, but I guess it is what it is.

Oh, and one more thing (asking for advice) I hard saved right after Kim pulled me aside in the Feld building and let me know that I was about to hit a point of no return and if I wanted to tie up any loose ends now would be the time. Would it be right to go back to that save and effectively restart from there, concentrating on more of the side stuff, or should I just go ahead and create a new character from scratch?

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 4, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If you didn't go to the convenience store next to the Whirling-in-Rags, you can buy Nosaphed (health restore) and Magnesium (psyche restore) items very cheaply there.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It's snowing in game a couple "days" into playing this game. Kinda got to me i dont know why.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Stuck 2. am on day and find out on steam forums that im stuck because I cant get 20 real... what the hell is this. GG literally lost hours of gameplay to this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can't you just edit a text file?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Buller posted:

Stuck 2. am on day and find out on steam forums that im stuck because I cant get 20 real... what the hell is this. GG literally lost hours of gameplay to this.
Check the pawn store, see if you can sell items?

Serious question though. Paying your bill on day 1 was a huge and mandatory part of the plot progression. You've been told that you have to pay 20 real the next day as well.

Why didn't you?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
They told me I could just go sleep somewhere else, im a hobo cop.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do the four stats only determine base skills and never feature in checks themselves?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Yeah Think so.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Buller posted:

They told me I could just go sleep somewhere else, im a hobo cop.

I’m pretty sure no one told you that you could sleep somewhere else, and it’s not in the hobo cop description. It sucks, but the game didn’t lie.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Do the four stats only determine base skills and never feature in checks themselves?

No, yes - they affect your skill learning caps so they're not technically just for base skills, but yeah they're never checked in and of themselves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chaosapiant posted:

I’m pretty sure no one told you that you could sleep somewhere else, and it’s not in the hobo cop description. It sucks, but the game didn’t lie.

TBF, I paid for the room, but I also assumed it was possible to sleep on a bench or something if I chose to do so.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
They should really patch in sleeping on the bench and dying in the cold to make that clear.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sleeping on the bench being free but requiring more than 20 real in healing usage to survive the cold seems thematically appropriate

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I really wish there was a fast-travel option, even if the game takes place in the one district. Constantly clicking around to move doesn't feel right, much like the Shadowrun games which this is 90% identical to given the engine.

Also would like it if you knew what a complete thought looks like, instead of alt-tabbing to a wiki.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I really wish there was a fast-travel option, even if the game takes place in the one district. Constantly clicking around to move doesn't feel right, much like the Shadowrun games which this is 90% identical to given the engine.

Also would like it if you knew what a complete thought looks like, instead of alt-tabbing to a wiki.

That's the point! You're not supposed to know! Gah!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pick thoughts that look like things your character would think. The game's easy enough that you don't need to obsess over the mechanical effects of anything

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the "20 real by day 2 or bust" thing is a game design flaw, no matter what people say about it being "thematic" or whatever. It's just kinda janky since it leads to a softlock scenario instead of a game over. It's a small flaw but like Nier A's "no saving until you beat the intro boss" it's something you kinda have to mention because it's awkward and can ruin someone's play session.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Macrame_God posted:

I...see. :stare:

That certainly is imaginative. I remember there being a white check to ask her to elaborate on it some more, but my odds of passing it were so low that I didn't bother and ultimately forgot about it up until the shoot out in front of Whirling-in-Rags which lead to her fleeing town. It's amazing how I was able to go through 30+ hours of this game and somehow avoid having someone explain that to me. In fact I only heard it mention in passing about two or three times. Its incredible how DE is a game that is set in such an elaborately creative and fascinating universe and yet, as a game, in all takes place in one very small patch of that world that the rest of society seemed to forget. It's also impressive how much content they were able to pack in to that small environment too. It reminds me of how Kamurocho in the Yakuza series is minuscule compared to the open worlds of modern games, and yet it is so much more dense than all those other locations in regards to content.

Oh that first white check is meant to be kind of impossible, you take it, fail, then internalize the thought you get for failing it. Then you get a huge bonus specifically so you can get the infodump. It was a real surprise when I got it early on and drat near gave me anxiety irl

Kim was right to be worried, tbh

And yeah, Kamurocho was the first thing I thought of to compare Martinaise with, they're both extremely well-realized little chunks of larger cities that get fleshed out because of the sheer density of content to actually do in them.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Digital Osmosis posted:

Because except for the literal physical bit, The Pale is real IRL too. Being a conscious animal means we're aware of unconsciousness, of death, of anti-realty and on some level aware that everything we do is motivated by an effort to not think about that (and also motivated by a deeper, troubling desire to only think about that.) Disco Elysium just uses a slightly weird metaphor to talk about the very real aspect of being self-aware, but The Pale is here on earth too and it's just as compelling.

Oh... wow. Cool!

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I'm pretty sure you can sleep in the dumpster.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Neuronyx posted:

Oh... wow. Cool!

Ah, I missed the emoji in your post marking sarcasm, apologies.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I'm pretty sure you can sleep in the dumpster.

This is the first I’ve heard of that. What makes you say that?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
They're cozy, and there's the chance you won't wake up at all.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Greaseman posted:

They should really patch in sleeping on the bench and dying in the cold to make that clear.

Patch in crashing in the boiler room, wake up with your face scrawled on and your money stolen by Cindy.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bought this in the Steam Autumn sale and ended up powering through it immediately, something that rarely happens these days.

Rolled 4-3-2-3 with a focus on Encyclodia and dumping points into Conceptualization and Visual Calculus early on. VC is pretty drat cool even though it's something that you see a lot in these kinds of stories. I did pretty much every task as it came up and ended up filling out the thought cabinet and having a ton of points all over. Pretty neat how me dumping points into motorics and physical skills to pass random checks ended up helping in the big fight. Passing the check to shoot the merc leader right in the eye was :discourse:

I was able to detect Klaasje was lying but are you able to get everything out of her before the tribunal happens? Also I ended up letting her go so I'm curious how much changes if you arrest her. Also didn't end up getting much out of Ruby.

I'm so glad that the cyptozoologist stuff ends up paying off in the end, and I almost got the entire disco sequence (ended up failing a shivers check and passing out from dancing too hard).

I've been trying my damnedest to avoid spoilers as much as possible but seeing you can get Cuno as your partner means I have an incentive to go again.

What a loving game.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 5, 2019

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Digital Osmosis posted:

Ah, I missed the emoji in your post marking sarcasm, apologies.

No, it wasn't sarcasm at all! Sorry for not being clear enough. I wasn't sure how to respond but I genuinely do find your response cool and good.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

This is the first I’ve heard of that. What makes you say that?

I think I remember him saying "gently caress it, I'll sleep in a dumpster." I've read you can also sleep in Cuno's shack or Kim will help pay for your first night. On my playthrough though I convinced people to give me money every chance I got.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kim or Joyce can give you $$$ to pay your hotel bill for the first night (or both, if you spend the money you got from the first person). The rest is just "how to save Aerith", 2019 version. Which is kind of encouraging really. The more things change.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the secret to the doomed commercial area, by the way ?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Most likely being influenced by the pale seed in the church same as everything in else in revanchol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mastershakeman posted:

Being in a poo poo part of town with no-one coming to buy stuff, and the ventures there all being either laughably ambitious or laughably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Avalerion posted:

Most likely being influenced by the pale seed in the church same as everything in else in revanchol.

Oh, that's it? Well ok then