Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

food court bailiff posted:

Is there a lot of hidden information in Battletech games? I’m wondering how soloable it would be for a weirdo like me who can happily chill and play both sides of an ASL SK scenario. Alternatively, is there any kind of scene around the Twin Cities? I’d assume there’s something SOMEWHERE but on the other hand I haunt tons of local game shops on the reg and the only place I’ve actually seen Battletech products in person is Barnes&Noble.

There certainly are people in the Twin Cities who play, but I don't think there's a "scene" so to speak. It's mostly grogs in basements with minis that they bought 20 years ago. I haven't been involved in the Twin Cities gaming scene in 15 years, but some of the guys I knew are still there and maybe even still playing and we all played Battletech back in the day when we didn't feel like playing 40k.

AoS was getting some traction recently, but the friends I spoke to said they'd be willing to play just about anything if people had miniatures. I'd recommend attending a gaming night at one of the stores and getting on good terms with people and then asking around. You might have to play a game you're not all that interested in at first though, but you'll probably meet someone who knows someone eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Nothing generates interest in a game like seeing it played in a store, too, so even if you can't find *many* people make sure that the games you play are actually visible and somebody else might get interested.

Grogs playing in basements is utterly useless for perpetuating a game, but good luck telling them that.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Screw it, I saw the PDFs were on sale for like ten bucks or less each
Where?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

Nothing generates interest in a game like seeing it played in a store, too, so even if you can't find *many* people make sure that the games you play are actually visible and somebody else might get interested.

Grogs playing in basements is utterly useless for perpetuating a game, but good luck telling them that.

Yeah, it was counter-intuitive to me too. Everyone was always excited to get a game of Battletech in and yet no one was putting any legwork into generating interest.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Atlas Hugged posted:

There certainly are people in the Twin Cities who play, but I don't think there's a "scene" so to speak. It's mostly grogs in basements with minis that they bought 20 years ago. I haven't been involved in the Twin Cities gaming scene in 15 years, but some of the guys I knew are still there and maybe even still playing and we all played Battletech back in the day when we didn't feel like playing 40k.

AoS was getting some traction recently, but the friends I spoke to said they'd be willing to play just about anything if people had miniatures. I'd recommend attending a gaming night at one of the stores and getting on good terms with people and then asking around. You might have to play a game you're not all that interested in at first though, but you'll probably meet someone who knows someone eventually.

Eh I have people i play Warcry and Kill Team with already locally but like I said, there just seems to be noooobody playing BT anywhere that I've found. It's fine, I'll mess around with it on my own and learn the rules and slowly trick convince my Arkham Horror crew to give it a shot or something. Ironically, most of my gaming friends that I don't know through Kill Team are staunchly anti-miniature but I think that's kind of a point in Battletech's favor since it's (apparently?) playable with chits and you're not amassing thousands of dollars worth of GW plastic just to get to the table.

DriveThruRPG, I got the Battlemech Manual, Total War, and Campaign Operations for like twenty seven bucks all told. I've paid more for less content for games I'm less interested in, figured I'd stock up while the sale's on. :shrug:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I kind of wish there was a way to mod mekhq/megamek with PTN's universe changes as I like them a lot.

The worst part of reading his thread is when you aren't playing you get serious envy of other people's scenarios, but then eventually your own one is hell awesome. :D

After some trouble i got my pledge thing sorted at Star Colonel, but I wouldn't mind a battlemap pack. Has anyone seen the maps/know any good ones to get as the 5 pack?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Grassland/Desert is my favorite of the five that currently exist, and Grassland/Tundra is otherwise only available as a bundle or at conventions (also in a bundle). Grassland/Lunar is my least favorite and I'd give it a pass unless you really want to have both outposts.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I’d say Battletech isn’t really worth the time if you have access to modern board games, but if you can get a crew through Arkham Horror they can handle a lance on lance fight.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

I’d say Battletech isn’t really worth the time if you have access to modern board games, but if you can get a crew through Arkham Horror they can handle a lance on lance fight.

Don't kinkshame.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Horsebanger posted:

I kind of wish there was a way to mod mekhq/megamek with PTN's universe changes as I like them a lot.

The worst part of reading his thread is when you aren't playing you get serious envy of other people's scenarios, but then eventually your own one is hell awesome. :D

After some trouble i got my pledge thing sorted at Star Colonel, but I wouldn't mind a battlemap pack. Has anyone seen the maps/know any good ones to get as the 5 pack?

I'm hoping that someone's been meticulously re-creating all of PTN's scenarios in mekhq/megamek so that I can create my own campaign and ruin it with terrible decisions (until I just scrap the scenario and start over)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Megamek throws a security warning when I try to visit...

Played my first scenario of the anemic starter rules, just a 1v1 fight. Obviously I was just playing myself so I couldn't try to get too clever with anything but I did try to pay attention to movement stuff based on who lost initiative. It ended when the 'mech that had been kind of on the ropes the whole game managed to blow a leg off the other one, so it could just hop behind the crippled mech and shoot it with total impunity.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

if playing with megamek make sure to turn off double enemy vehicles otherwise enjoy roleplaying the Mackie test in the Hegemony in the 2400's

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don’t know what any of that means but this dumb ancient heavily dice-based game has its hooks in my brain now :(

Any good galleries of painted minis out there? Is there anything weird or strict (either in rules interactions or the overall scene) with color schemes or can I kind of go wild with whatever I think looks cool?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I don’t know what any of that means but this dumb ancient heavily dice-based game has its hooks in my brain now :(

Any good galleries of painted minis out there? Is there anything weird or strict (either in rules interactions or the overall scene) with color schemes or can I kind of go wild with whatever I think looks cool?

BattleTech is on a whole new level of not giving a single poo poo about what color your dudes are. You can play it with paper clips and poker chips as long as 'front' is clearly identifiable.

Camospecs.com is an official resource for what in-universe faction paints their stuff what color that's all professionally painted. The website itself takes forever to navigate but other than that it's a good resource.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Any good galleries of painted minis out there?

Camo Specs online

quote:

Is there anything weird or strict (either in rules interactions or the overall scene) with color schemes or can I kind of go wild with whatever I think looks cool?

There's no WYSIWYG rule in BT, and it's generally frowned upon to try and press people to follow it. Units and factions largely exist to provide structure to unit choice, because without it, force selection feels rather like playing tennis without a net.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I love Megamek, but it is such a nightmare every time I try to play online. I believe that no human truly understands networking, and every few months when my friends and I try to play it is hours of trying to figure out how we got it to work last time.

For real though, playing on a randomly generated insanity land is the best. It is certainly a feature I never expected.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I paint my mechs however the gently caress I feel like and I don't think any two have a matching scheme.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I paint em red and slap a big ol hammer and sickle on the sides. It counts, dammit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Defiance Industries posted:

Camo Specs online

There's no WYSIWYG rule in BT, and it's generally frowned upon to try and press people to follow it. Units and factions largely exist to provide structure to unit choice, because without it, force selection feels rather like playing tennis without a net.

Also they only made a small number of models for quite a while and very few had any variant options. The Project Phoenix Warhammer was the first one I had that came with multiple component options.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I paint em red and slap a big ol hammer and sickle on the sides. It counts, dammit.

Hell yes, comrade. Hell to the yes.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I paint my mechs however the gently caress I feel like and I don't think any two have a matching scheme.

I admire this rag tag mercenary company just trying to get by vibe.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

I can't paint but my housemate enters competitions so I let him paint each one differently and he can practice/do what he likes with each.

it works for a merc company, I imagine each mechwarrior paints their's differently.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Does the Beginner's Box only have the basic, no-heat rules in it?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Does the Beginner's Box only have the basic, no-heat rules in it?

Yep, it’s super barebones. I’m still glad it exists at the price point it does though; this generally seems like a tough game to buy into as a newbie.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
No heat rules make that 2*ppc 2*LL rifleman REAL interesting in 3025.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm trying to decide what I should get my nephew and brother-in-law for Christmas. They've got a decent board game collection and have expressed interest in miniatures and I figured Battletech would be fine as a project for the two of them. But I think the Game of Armored Combat box makes more sense. It's got 8 models they can paint without having to assemble and it has the full core rules (I believe) for mechs. My nephew is a little on the young side, but he can read and do basic math and 3025 lance v. lance is straightforward enough at the end of the day. I just think dropping the heat rules wouldn't show the appeal of the risk management that really makes the game unique.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm trying to decide what I should get my nephew and brother-in-law for Christmas. They've got a decent board game collection and have expressed interest in miniatures and I figured Battletech would be fine as a project for the two of them. But I think the Game of Armored Combat box makes more sense. It's got 8 models they can paint without having to assemble and it has the full core rules (I believe) for mechs. My nephew is a little on the young side, but he can read and do basic math and 3025 lance v. lance is straightforward enough at the end of the day. I just think dropping the heat rules wouldn't show the appeal of the risk management that really makes the game unique.

The not-actually-sarcastic answer is both! :v:

If just one: GoAC is the better value and it's not close. It does have the full introductory (3025) 'Mech rules. It includes record sheets for all eight 'Mechs in the box and the Introductory box plus (I'm pretty sure) at least one variant of each, and it also includes standee punchouts if they like it enough to go past 4 vs. 4.

It's worth mentioning that the Griffin miniature is only in the Beginner Box, but the Wolverine is available in both. The Beginner box likewise includes the simplified half record sheets for all the minis found in the GoAC and standee punchouts to use them without the bigger box, but it does not include full size record sheets for any 'Mechs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I went with GoAC. Hopefully they like it. My nephew will probably just be blown away by how cool robots are and will likely get absorbed by the universe. Hopefully my brother-in-law sees it as a cool way to spend time with his son.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

I bought nearly every model you can buy in the clan invasion kickstarter.

It is really hard to get this stuff in aus. my primary source before it was I bought like 1000 bucks off some guy in nsw.

Started a merc game in megamek with a full company in 3067 last night. 2 contracts in and it's going well!

Is there any indication if they are going to advance the timeline and do the skip with "ilkhan" or something? or is shattered fortress and back to the clan invasion the future for the next five years?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ilClan is set for release early next year. That's all we really know so far

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are there big models of mechs like for display?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Man, the GOAC box is substantial.

E: Is the rulebook in GOAC pretty much everything for mechs? What does the Battlemech Manual have that the GOAC rulebook is lacking? I have both, just haven't had a chance to dig through either too deeply yet and I want to know if there's points in a GOAC box game where I should make a mental note of "in a real game I'd have to check or do X, Y and Z here".

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 4, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

It's the best starter box they've ever produced, even if I like the art on the old 3E standees a lot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

E: Is the rulebook in GOAC pretty much everything for mechs? What does the Battlemech Manual have that the GOAC rulebook is lacking? I have both, just haven't had a chance to dig through either too deeply yet and I want to know if there's points in a GOAC box game where I should make a mental note of "in a real game I'd have to check or do X, Y and Z here".

GOAC covers 3025 only. Advanced weapons and equipment, the rules that interact with them, plus some optional rules for taste. Also easy rules for artillery and air support without having to track those units separately.

EDIT: there isn't anything that GOAC is inherently missing compared to the 'Full' rules. There are no extra phases or steps, it's a complete game by that metric.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

4E has the best box art and that's a fact

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the best starter box they've ever produced, even if I like the art on the old 3E standees a lot.

The version of the previous starter box that included the thick cardboard maps instead of folded paper was pretty cool though.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

In terms of the basic mech rules, the BMM only has three things that the intro box rules don't: breaches in water, ammunition dumping, and rules for four-legged ("quad") mechs. Otherwise it's the same.

Of course, the BMM adds a ton of options, and more terrain and weather, and mountains of advanced gear. It also has notes in the base rules whenever they interact with that advanced gear. For example, both books have the Aimed Shot rules, but the BMM adds some extra notes to that regarding how it interacts with targeting computers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If I'm working from the old Intro boxed set, GoAC, the beginner box, and some random Alpha Strike boxes, are there any mechs in there that are ridiculous for a Mercenary company to have? Most of the advice I find online just says "salvage means anyone could have anything!" and I guess that's true but like I'm pretty sure there's a Dragon in the old box and that would be weird for someone non-Kurita to have, right?

I feel like I'm overthinking this and I should just play with whatever I want, but I thought I'd ask.

edit: this is an overly broad question, so let's say in 3050 so I can use all the kickstarter stuff when it gets here

edit edit: this helps a lot https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uaA9PPHEZSnYszox2HIv6Tgfz3iYhHQwIezNeg1vND8/edit#gid=664907675 turns out the answer is just take whatever the hell you want

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 4, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The only thing that's 'out of the question' weird is the Shogun from the Fire Lance, because it was functionally extinct for decades before the Dragoons showed up, and there were literally only two left in 3067.

Everything else is varying levels of "clearly you've seen some action in <theater>" kind of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is there any good record sheet builder and/or record sheet app out there?