Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

the flying erect cock with legs and a tail that is also a cock also its own, also erect, cock between the legs. In bronze. With bells on.

Speaking of which, Jo; is coming across as bad as you would expect on Andrew Neil. CORBYN ANTISEMITE tho

e: according to Aristotle, 56 is the number of layers of the Universe - Earth plus 55 crystalline spheres above it. Seems plausible, but they're all probably poo poo

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OwlFancier posted:

From what I remember the romans/greeks thought big willies were hilarious but also indicative of you being stupid and probably foreign. Which is why the surviving statues that the puritans didn't lop the knobs off all have very petite willies, as is proper for a civilized man.

The romans also gifted to the world the flying erect cock with legs and a tail that is also a cock also its own, also erect, cock between the legs. In bronze. With bells on.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this was the etymological origin of the phrase "with brass knobs on"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

The romans also gifted to the world the flying erect cock with legs and a tail that is also a cock also its own, also erect, cock between the legs. In bronze. With bells on.

I like how the longer you look at that the more dicks you see.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

I like how the longer you look at that the more dicks you see.

You watching BBC Parliament?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
You know, as a classical history nerd something that really bothers me is the still quite widespread and Eurocentric idea that the Greco-Persian wars were a cataclysmic affair that saved western civilisation from the Asiatic hordes, and if not for Leonidas we'd all be speaking Muslamic by now. Way to take ancient Greek self-aggrandisement and propaganda at face value, extremely clever historians from expensive private schools. It's quite likely that the Persians saw it as a relatively minor action against a bunch of annoying hill tribes who kept raiding them and stirring their cousins within the empire into revolt. Sure, the Persians lost really badly due to strategic missteps and hubris, but the long-accepted idea that a lost peripheral war for the largest empire the world had ever seen led inevitably to its downfall 3 centuries later is complete bollocks and lazy thinking.

And of course the outdated version is what Boris and his moron pals believe. 19th century British historians were correct in all regards, doncherknow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The only bit of the bee episode I like is the song, I don't generally get weird trip episodes, at all.

I hadn't cried in years, then I finished FFXV. I made it through the credits, where it replays the opening with them pushing their busted car and grousing at each other. I just about held it together during the mid credits when Noctis opens up to everyone. Then it hit the post credit scene where he picks up the photo you chose and I cried like a baby. Felt really liberating, though.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Is it just me or has Laura K seemingly gone quiet over the last few days - she was almost omnipresent until the BBC bias stuff took off, but now she seems much less prominent

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Braggart posted:

You know, as a classical history nerd something that really bothers me is the still quite widespread and Eurocentric idea that the Greco-Persian wars were a cataclysmic affair that saved western civilisation from the Asiatic hordes, and if not for Leonidas we'd all be speaking Muslamic by now. Way to take ancient Greek self-aggrandisement and propaganda at face value, extremely clever historians from expensive private schools. It's quite likely that the Persians saw it as a relatively minor action against a bunch of annoying hill tribes who kept raiding them and stirring their cousins within the empire into revolt. Sure, the Persians lost really badly due to strategic missteps and hubris, but the long-accepted idea that a lost peripheral war for the largest empire the world had ever seen led inevitably to its downfall 3 centuries later is complete bollocks and lazy thinking.

And of course the outdated version is what Boris and his moron pals believe. 19th century British historians were correct in all regards, doncherknow.

Wait people think that? Other than weirdo fasicsts who watched the 300 movie too much?

Do they know that the rest of the greek cities thought the spartans were a bunch of weirdos?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

56 is the number of layers of the Universe - Earth plus 55 crystalline spheres above it.

Failed Imagineer posted:

they're all probably poo poo

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For various reasons I've always been the one who keeps it together when stuff's really bad, maybe because most of the rest of my family are loving drama queens. Then I let it out when I feel like it's "safe" to do so, but of course by that point I've made it impossible to actually react to The Thing, whatever it is, because I've clamped right down on it. Instead I have a collection of triggers ready to open the gates - certain songs will do it, not because they're sad in themselves but because they can do an end-run around the defences I've put up in my head. For example I barely feel a flicker thinking about my parents funerals, but "When You Were Sweet Sixteen" turns me into a blubbering wreck immediately because my mum and dad both loved that song and it was a fixture in my dad's car stereo, and hearing it puts me right back in the back seat of that lovely old Lada cringing with embarrassment at the pair of them singing along to it at the top of their lungs.

I'm aware this probably isn't the healthiest way of dealing with things but at the same time I feel almost like it's a safety valve for my emotions, and the consequences when I've not been able to release them have been pretty unpleasant for me and those around me.

I'm living off the state in my parents house. I am the youngest in my family and have no role in it. I don't have to keep it together at all. I'm not expected to contain any family burdens.

My dad's ex military and still struggles with civilian life even more than 15 years on from leaving the forces. My mum's currently an NHS nurse with all the stresses that brings. I, on the other hand, am sat at home doing nothing all day. I'm not going to say the foolish thing you're expecting me to say, which is that "my problems don't matter in relativity to theirs" because I know that's not right. The weight of someone else's sack of poo poo doesn't add to or subtract from the weight of mine. I will say, though, that I don't want to express my problems. I don't want to express them because dad says "I wasn't hard enough on you as a kid" and mum does the opposite: she wants to shower me with support and affirmation and drag me to whatever charity she's discovered that could help or to the GP for the millionth time even though it doesn't work when it's her dragging me there. I have to hold myself together because I don't want to experience those conversations again.

Also I'm being judged. My peers of a similar age all have work and have supported themselves into places to live. Some even own. I know deep down that I have been lazy and I have exploited the situation my parents put me in to keep me away from the stresses of the workplace, but I'm expected to not want to just sit here doing nothing like I always have done. I'm expected to say "I'm really excited to have another temporary job in a warehouse where everyone sucks and I put boxes into other boxes while being shouted at to do it faster". So I pretend like it's all in order. I pretend like I'm searching really hard for that next job when really I have a different game plan:

Ride the gravy train till my parents are in a box and then I have no strong ties to this Earth so I just leave also. I don't want to put in effort. I didn't ask to be here and I don't deserve to be made to stay.

So when dad said to me "Labour voters are unemployed people just trying to live off the state" or something to that effect, yeah. I wouldn't mind a lovely flat away from here where I can eke out an existence and put things off for longer, because I'm sure as hell not stoked about the world of work to the point where the thought that I'd rather hang myself is real. I can't cry, though, because if I break down in front of someone then I might actually have to change. Change is hard work and hard work is not part of the plan.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Things that make me cry like a baby; this drat song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzrABouyeE

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
A car with a megaphone with a bloke advocating for the brexit party has just driven past my flat...

:psyduck:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Wait people think that? Other than weirdo fasicsts who watched the 300 movie too much?

Do they know that the rest of the greek cities thought the spartans were a bunch of weirdos?

No they do not know that, because they are incurious and uncritical.

That used to be the accepted historical narrative, because it's what the Greeks said about themselves and we trusted that 100% for some reason. See also judging Julius Caesar based on his own autobiography :shrug:

There are still plenty of people who do not accept any other version of events, and they also tend to think that we are the cultural and intellectual descendents of the Greeks, and that Islam plunged its areas into a dark age. There may be some racism involved in this take.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Isomermaid posted:

Crying chat, I didn't used to be able to cry, even when I wanted to, needed to. Nothing to do with repression or anything, I just got a hot feeling behind my eyes and a sinking feeling in my gut.

Then, yeah, flash forward to last year and I'm riding a little rental bike around Berlin and each one's given a little name tag, so my friends back home would be all "how's starshine today" or whatever and I'd send them a recording of the bell ringing or something daft. Then it came to the end of the holiday and I had to lock her up and gently caress me, I started bawling like someone had killed my pets, except laughing at the same time because I knew it was loving ridiculous, over saying goodbye to a rental bike! And that was when I knew I'd made good life choices.

It's good though, I also get properly happy when I'm happy, angry about the things I should be angry about, and it's all motivating. Sadness can be paralyzing but I wouldn't trade it to be an emotionless husk again.

Congratulations, you have now joined our personality cult. Ratjaculation will be with you shortly to extract appropriate enzymes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
lolllll Jo;s only answer to "but you voted for austerity more enthusiastically than most Tories" is essentially "yeah sorry that was bad, sorry about that, wont do it again, vote for me" :thumbsup:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Lobster God posted:

A car with a megaphone with a bloke advocating for the brexit party has just driven past my flat...

Oh man, STOP BREXIT guy is gonna have to respond in kind.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lobster God posted:

This may be illegal depending on your jurisdiction. Keith Vaz got in trouble for it one election.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

That's good to hear. I've always had a problem with crying. I think I've done it properly twice in the last ten years.
I tend to lock the door and put some film soundtracks on my headphones. It's good, it kind of feels like clearing emotions out when I start to feel full.

This is a good one but only because I was not expecting this part of Warframe when it happened, and kind of had a mini personality crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEiTgU-hM5k

ro5s posted:

This is the one that always gets me, it's way easier for me to happy cry and that episode and the ending are absolutely perfect.
I get this with Black Mirror's San Junipero episode. I'm still not really robust enough to watch any of the other episodes from that season but that one is very GoodSadFeel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Some even own.
Hell yeah I own.

Own myself repeatedly with the burden of sentient existence. :smug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Braggart posted:

Oh man, STOP BREXIT guy is gonna have to respond in kind.

The Glasgow Ice Cream Wars but this time it's Brexit instead of drugs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Islamic golden age didn't happen lol.

Who was it built an irrigation system over thousands of miles to make the desert bloom, which assholes destroyed it all rendering vast tracts of the place uninhabitable when once they supported life?

Qanats, windcatchers, people who figured out how to live in the desert thousands of years ago and created art and scientific advancements. All nonexistant because suleiman probably stuffed them all into his giant muslim turban.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Lobster God posted:

Ah, takes me back to the good old days, of 2016.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Newton: Good lord, light is like BALLS.

Ibn Al Haytham: It took white people centuries to find my balls.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Who was it built an irrigation system over thousands of miles to make the desert bloom, which assholes destroyed it all rendering vast tracts of the place uninhabitable when once they supported life?

Qanats, windcatchers, people who figured out how to live in the desert thousands of years ago and created art and scientific advancements. All nonexistant because suleiman probably stuffed them all into his giant muslim turban.

We got our loving numerals from the Arabs because the Roman ones were stupid :D

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

This may be illegal depending on your jurisdiction. Keith Vaz got in trouble for it one election.

Annoyingly I didn't see it to get plate number or anything, just heard it.

I'm in Sheffield Central which returned Paul Blomfield with 71% of the vote in 2017 so it's not going to make a difference, Labour are winning here. Part of what made it so bizarre.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Not much jerks my tears but Pleasantville gets me easy

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

OwlFancier posted:

Source your quotes?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Islam never invented anything, allow me to prove it with algebra.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Therapy night in the UKMT today

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

marktheando posted:

I think ancient greek heroes burst into tears quite a lot, it was considered manly at the time.

Anime is still full of manly tears, it's great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

And weird ideas about penises.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RabidWeasel posted:

anime... is poo poo

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I am like a stone sometimes but watching these WWYD videos always gets me - I well up anytime I see another person be kind to another (including me sometimes, sheesh!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy2GvPPUGOE

As an aside - the antisemitism stuff seems to be dominating a lot of the Labour talk and gets a bit in the way of talking about policies and that, I keep having circular conversations about something that is slightly ephemeral when the opposition is an obvious racist or just says 'sorry' for austerity as you would turning up late for something. I hope the next week is more focused on policies over personalities. (the ukmt is the secret well from which all takes are poured forth and so it is written and so it shall come to pass)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Crying chat. I used to be able to cry, but over the past few months I've kind of been feeling weirdly hollow and unable to cry like I usually can.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Tigey posted:

Is it just me or has Laura K seemingly gone quiet over the last few days - she was almost omnipresent until the BBC bias stuff took off, but now she seems much less prominent

Yeah she's blatantly been told to can it and hope everyone forgets a few days after the election.

Jo Swinson: "I want change. I want to stay in the EU"

Arrgh. I think she got off lightly to be honest. Was being led down the path of "You did poo poo in the last coalition and betrayed your ideals" but no attempt to stab the "Why on earth should we trust you not to do the same again" knife home.

Also gently caress off the desperate anti-semitism slurs.

Crying chat: Sometimes I read an emotional scene in a novel on the commute home and have to stop reading so the other glassy eyes commuters don't see the little tear trickling from mine.

E: According to the Romans this means I have a small cock

RockyB fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 4, 2019

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I had crying beaten out of me as a child. Does the phrase "I'll give you something to cry about." Ring any bells for anyone else?

Oh the odd occasion where it's all to much I do this weird half sob thing. Mostly I deal with to much emotion in the standard toxic way. Hurting my hand on walls.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Azza Bamboo posted:

Ride the gravy train till my parents are in a box and then I have no strong ties to this Earth so I just leave also. I don't want to put in effort. I didn't ask to be here and I don't deserve to be made to stay.

I'm sorry to hear you say this. You have value beyond what the people in your life assign to you. I hope you do okay.

e: I cry at the drop of a hat (I am a woman though so it's more tolerated by society) - but in the first couple of years of my dad's slide to Alzheimer's, and then in the weeks following his death, I couldn't cry at all. I would feel the pain but it was like there was a wall up holding it back. Then at his funeral I broke down and now I'm more or less back to my easily-crying self.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BoneMonkey posted:

I had crying beaten out of me as a child. Does the phrase "I'll give you something to cry about." Ring any bells for anyone else?

hi

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Braggart posted:

The US loves to use that story as well, to justify Western Aggression towards the Middle East

Nevermind the the reason the Persians did it in the first place was the Greeks annoying them in Anatolia, and most of the Persian Empire being a much nicer place to live than the Greek Poli, but we get all our history from Greeks with a hard on for their own superiority, so :shrug:

Also Thermoplyae was not nearly the "Glorious moment" it's made out to be, and the Spartans allied with the "hated enemy Persia" in the Peloponnesian War, so lol

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Josef bugman posted:

Crying chat. I used to be able to cry, but over the past few months I've kind of been feeling weirdly hollow and unable to cry like I usually can.

I wonder what causes a change like that. Any changes in meds or recent traumas or massive stresses pop up for you over that time frame? Not to pry, of course!