Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I fundamentally cannot understand the Republican approach here. Even in a hearing without Schiff, why is their only defense that there's not enough evidence? It just reminds everyone that Trump is refusing to comply with lawful evidence gathering. i mean i understand that they have nothing and they also have their hands tied by trump but jesus.

Cognitive dissonance is a central plank of the republican party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The desperate need to call people completely unrelated to this investigation, while refusing to actually provide witnesses who were directly involved in this, is just loving insane. What is wrong with these people?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Somebody bring up sexual abuse so Gym can walk out the backdoor...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I really wish someone would read turlys previous writings to him

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Gym Jordan (R-State That Makes People Flee the Earth) once again tries to raise his voice and talk fast in lieu of having an actual point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Google Butt posted:

I really wish someone would read turlys previous writings to him
I'm sure he's got some equivocation-jutsu ready to take that hit

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The look on Turley's face very briefly went all "oh poo poo, I'm one of the bad guys aren't I?" when Jordan was ranting.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

LtStorm posted:

Gym Jordan (R-State That Makes People Flee the Earth) once again tries to raise his voice and talk fast in lieu of having an actual point.

There’s a term for that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gym Jordan - R- Why are we bothering with any dumb "constitution" stuff here?!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Link for that last one, if anyone cares: http://scholarship.law.unc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3825&context=nclr

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

I mean, honestly I haven't seen a single actual argument from the GOP today, so I am not sure that's quite right.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nah, Gish galloping is a whole bunch of bad-faith nonsense arguments in a short space of time. Gym's thing is just reading one single thing at high speed and volume. We have yet to adapt our defences to handle this attack

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Is this guy's defense 'someone did this once and got away with it so it's legal now'

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
what the gently caress is this?
now obama?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Alright, dig them up and we'll have a cadaver impeachment. I'm sold.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OBAMA!!!!!!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Old Surly posted:

what the gently caress is this?

whataboutism

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What the hell is the point of this hearing if the Ds are just going to talk to their witnesses and the Rs to theirs? All it does is let the Rs reinforce their alternate reality bubble.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Why don't you direct these questions to the experts whose definition you're attacking you exceptional coward, you.

edit: lmao as if the Republicans would be worried about having the opportunity to politically lynch any Democratic president at their earliest convenience.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Is Buck's argument right now that "all these other Republican presidents did crimes but we didn't impeach them" ?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Fister Roboto posted:

What the hell is the point of this hearing if the Ds are just going to talk to their witnesses and the Rs to theirs? All it does is let the Rs reinforce their alternate reality bubble.

welcome to the US government!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LOL Turdley didn't bite that one

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I fundamentally cannot understand the Republican approach here. Even in a hearing without Schiff, why is their only defense that there's not enough evidence? It just reminds everyone that Trump is refusing to comply with lawful evidence gathering. i mean i understand that they have nothing and they also have their hands tied by trump but jesus.

Trump is too stupid to hide his criminality and the GOP is too stupid to come up with a better defense

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Karlan is really owning these GOP talking points.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I checked the 2018 election results to see if there was any hope of us being rid of Louie Gohmert any time soon, but he won his last election by like 100,000 votes so it appears we will be stuck with his stupidity for some time.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I checked the 2018 election results to see if there was any hope of us being rid of Louie Gohmert any time soon, but he won his last election by like 100,000 votes so it appears we will be stuck with his stupidity for some time.

He's been in office long enough to just accept he depicts his district perfectly.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
gym and ratcliffe both are safe too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh thank god, someone's finally grilling Turley.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Nice call out on Turley.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Turley arguing...almost in so many words...that ignoring Congressional subpoenas isn't obstruction because, who knows, maybe the SC is going to overturn US v. Nixon and you don't know until you try.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Here is Jonathan Turley, to the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

quote:

That is why this is wrong. It's not wrong because President Trump is right. His call was anything but perfect. It's not wrong because the House has no legitimate reason to investigate Ukrainian controversy. Point's not wrong because we're in an election year. There is no good time for an impeachment. No, it's wrong because this is not how you impeach an American president. This case is not a case of the unknowable. It's a case of the peripheral. We have a record of conflicts, defenses that have not been fully considered, unsubpoenaed witness with material evidence. To impeach a president on this record would expose every future president to the same time of inchoate impeachment.

Here is Jonathan Turley, in 1998.

quote:

In a government of laws, existence of the government will be imperiled if it fails to observe the law scrupulously. Our Government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the Government becomes a lawbreaker; it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. The allegations against President Clinton go to the very heart of the legitimacy of his office and the integrity of the political system. As an individual, a president may seek spiritual redemption in the company of friends and family. Constitutional redemption, however, is found only in the company of representatives of all three branches in the well of the Senate. It is there that legitimacy, once recklessly lost, can be regained by a president.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Gohmert is basically in Red State Hell right?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Why not ask Turley why he is full of poo poo

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

refleks posted:

Why not ask Turley why he is full of poo poo

It's clear the guy isn't actually partisan - his history of support mostly falls on the Democrat side - however, he said for himself that he doesn't have skin in the game for which side wins impeachment and he is basically loving how much spotlight his specific legal view is getting (which pretty much seems to be "Trump needs to literally admit to doing the bad things under oath for it to be impeachable").

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao.. "You haven't heard from people who know about it"

Cool, lets get them in

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You have to prove it...to me... not to yourselves. But to ME, a republican.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The fact witness talking point was just invented today right?

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

ROCKET DOCKET

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Thom12255 posted:

The fact witness talking point was just invented today right?

It's an extension of the hearsay thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Martha Roby looks like she's about to ask for someone's manager