Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

anyone have that nice video of jezza serving teas from the canal boat that was posted a few weeks ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

:(:hf::(

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The internet I signed up with when I moved STILL hasn't delivered (long story won't bore you probably another 2 weeks) so yesterday afternoon I ordered a Three Home Broadband (doesn't need a phone line, 4G thingummy bob - Huwai B535 router which has 4 ethernet ports (because I want ethernet ports, they have another gadget that has Alexa but I think only 1 ethernet port if that). I signed for a 24 month contract at £22 per month and nothing up front. And the beauty is, if I were to move again, I could take it with me. (Ed: unlimited data).

Anyway, it arrived half an hour ago and these are the speeds:

Which is 10Mbps better on download than the superfast fibre I was getting in the old flat for £34pm - just 10m from an OpenReach cabinet from Plusnet!

I'll still go ahead with the other one because it's a bit of a bargain - £13pm for 18 months for 38Mbps including the phone line as I like to have two separate providers.

That latency though is not too amazing for presumably a non peak time. Probably nothing to worry about if you aren't a serious twitchy gamer but worth bareing in mind with these 4G setups. I wonder how easy it would be for you to line bond the two connections :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BoneMonkey posted:

I had crying beaten out of me as a child. Does the phrase "I'll give you something to cry about." Ring any bells for anyone else?

Oh the odd occasion where it's all to much I do this weird half sob thing. Mostly I deal with to much emotion in the standard toxic way.
Grain alcohol?

BoneMonkey posted:

Hurting my hand on walls.
Ah.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

justcola posted:

I am like a stone sometimes but watching these WWYD videos always gets me - I well up anytime I see another person be kind to another (including me sometimes, sheesh!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy2GvPPUGOE

These videos always kinda skeeved me out in the way that it kinda forces members of the public to have to take a gamble on what to do when sometimes, like in this case, someone who isn't strong enough to take on a grown adult is suddenly placed into a position where they feel like if they don't something terrible would happen. That said I am quite pleased by the group effort near the end.

I saw a similar one where a couple of actors fake being a lesbian couple with adopted kids and the waitress, also an actor, is audibly lovely about it in front of the rest of the diner. They did this in New York and in Texas, and whether truthfully or by cherry picking it was in deeply homophobic Texas the majority of the diners stepped in and said that wasn't how you act around people, while the New Yorkers minded their own business.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deketh posted:

I wonder what causes a change like that. Any changes in meds or recent traumas or massive stresses pop up for you over that time frame? Not to pry, of course!

Depression can do this.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

TulliusCicero posted:

The US loves to use that story as well, to justify Western Aggression towards the Middle East

Nevermind the the reason the Persians did it in the first place was the Greeks annoying them in Anatolia, and most of the Persian Empire being a much nicer place to live than the Greek Poli, but we get all our history from Greeks with a hard on for their own superiority, so :shrug:

Also Thermoplyae was not nearly the "Glorious moment" it's made out to be, and the Spartans allied with the the "hated enemy Persia" in the Peloponnesian War, so lol

Also one of the reasons Alexander's empire fell apart is because the Greeks were too xenophobic to accept any hint of equality with their millions of new subjects. Greek military colonies were placed all over to try to keep the locals in line too. And as for how the Spartans ruled their empire, boy howdy, that's the stuff of nightmares. Parallels with the antebellum American South, IMO. Lynching a serf was a rite of passage for a Spartan citizen.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

They did this in New York and in Texas, and whether truthfully or by cherry picking it was in deeply homophobic Texas the majority of the diners stepped in and said that wasn't how you act around people, while the New Yorkers minded their own business.

Unfortunately when living in a big city you see similar poo poo all the time and given the odds of getting attacked are much higher in an urban environment, it's easier not to get involved as it can easily escalate the situation. Similarly, when I lived outside London I'd sling beggars a couple of quid now and then, but now I see at least 5 beggars a day and I feel helpless to help any of them, so I don't give change anymore. I did run a sponsored race a raised a few hundred for a homelessness charity though. :)

Re crying: I only cry when I watch Disney movies / other kids movies

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Deketh posted:

I wonder what causes a change like that. Any changes in meds or recent traumas or massive stresses pop up for you over that time frame? Not to pry, of course!

I've been feeling much more tired as of late and I've offended a bunch of my friends so I haven't been talking to folks as much and I just got a new job and I am going into therapy soon.

I think in general I am just vegging out a lot at the moment. I am feeling a bit emotionally distant from myself as much as anything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stress does cause a lot of problems with emotional expression.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
One thing I need to read up more on is the Greek Kingdom of Afghanistan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Bactrian_Kingdom

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

I've been feeling much more tired as of late and I've offended a bunch of my friends so I haven't been talking to folks as much and I just got a new job and I am going into therapy soon.

I think in general I am just vegging out a lot at the moment. I am feeling a bit emotionally distant from myself as much as anything else.

You've got us, Buggy! :glomp:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Stress does cause a lot of problems with emotional expression.

Hell yes it does

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Braggart posted:

You've got us, Buggy! :glomp:

Ta!

But yeah, I think just everything is piling up a little bit. I just need to get some stuff done and I will feel better.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Peston not being a total melt and getting weirdly frustrated in that Boris Johnson interview, 7/10 (lol Boris can't name any of the companies ready to invest after Brexit he keeps going on about) https://metro.co.uk/video/boris-johnson-single-deal-thats-ready-brexit-2063194/

e: also in the sidebar, mogg you slag https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/04/huge-get-mogg-sign-appears-giant-slag-heap-11266559/

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Braggart posted:

Also one of the reasons Alexander's empire fell apart is because the Greeks were too xenophobic to accept any hint of equality with their millions of new subjects. Greek military colonies were placed all over to try to keep the locals in line too. And as for how the Spartans ruled their empire, boy howdy, that's the stuff of nightmares. Parallels with the antebellum American South, IMO. Lynching a serf was a rite of passage for a Spartan citizen.

The Spartans were the first fascists to the point that almost everyone else loving hated them. Alexander kicked in the rotting door of a Persian Empire in massive decline and revolt, conquered the entire known Greek World, and then died from either assassination or a massive orgy, causing his generals to split up and quickly fail to rule their holdings, and the only real greek legacy being the spread of Greek philosophy, language, and, culture throughout the Mediterranean.

Like the Hellenistic Greeks got utterly clowned on by the Parthians, the Carthaginians, and a backwater city state in Central Italy

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I feel like there's this repeating story where a group of "enlightened" people imperialise a large part of the world, then reach too far, and then the oppressed localities go "gently caress this poo poo" and the whole thing falls into disarray opening the door for some other enlightened force to come in and be emperor. Just this constant call and response

Hegemony?

No.

Hegemony?

No.

Not between two people but between swirling masses of human populations chaotically dancing over the surface of this planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hegemony is what you call labour's ecological funding in the countryside.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

mediadave posted:

One thing I need to read up more on is the Greek Kingdom of Afghanistan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Bactrian_Kingdom

Insane thing that actually happened: because of this, Greek sculptors were the first people to make depictions of what Buddha actually looked like (as opposed to representing him with other objects)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

You joke but government grants with requirements placed on them are basically "comply to this central standard"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

The Spartans were the first fascists to the point that almost everyone else loving hated them. Alexander kicked in the rotting door of a Persian Empire in massive decline and revolt, conquered the entire known Greek World, and then died from either assassination or a massive orgy, causing his generals to split up and quickly fail to rule their holdings, and the only real greek legacy being the spread of Greek philosophy, language, and, culture throughout the Mediterranean.

Like the Hellenistic Greeks got utterly clowned on by the Parthians, the Carthaginians, and a backwater city state in Central Italy

And don't get me started on the idea that Alexander never lost a battle! Lol right, he defeated King Porus at the Battle of Hydaspes and then magnanimously granted him his kingdom back and withdrew because his soldiers were a bunch of little bitches who couldn't hack it. gently caress off Alex.

This is fun :D

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Peston not being a total melt and getting weirdly frustrated in that Boris Johnson interview, 7/10 (lol Boris can't name any of the companies ready to invest after Brexit he keeps going on about) https://metro.co.uk/video/boris-johnson-single-deal-thats-ready-brexit-2063194/

e: also in the sidebar, mogg you slag https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/04/huge-get-mogg-sign-appears-giant-slag-heap-11266559/

I witness the beauty of the giant slag heap, the sight of which calls to the ghosts of peers from my distant past. Emerging from a secondary school lost to time, a ghost whispers in my ear

"ur mum"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

I feel like there's this repeating story where a group of "enlightened" people imperialise a large part of the world, then reach too far, and then the oppressed localities go "gently caress this poo poo" and the whole thing falls into disarray opening the door for some other enlightened force to come in and be emperor. Just this constant call and response

Hegemony?

No.

Hegemony?

No.

Not between two people but between swirling masses of human populations chaotically dancing over the surface of this planet.
Hegemon!
A drive so true
My avarice pulls me through
Then one day unto me too...
Hegemon!

Braggart posted:

King Porus

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Absorbent and yellow and Porus is he.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hegemon, centralist monsters, hegemon have the power.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I would much prefer the Gauls to most of the other Hegemons that we've had to live with.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah I'm gonna have to pass on that one

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'd welcome Cyrus as a liberator

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Braggart posted:

And don't get me started on the idea that Alexander never lost a battle! Lol right, he defeated King Porus at the Battle of Hydaspes and then magnanimously granted him his kingdom back and withdrew because his soldiers were a bunch of little bitches who couldn't hack it. gently caress off Alex.

This is fun :D

Don't forget Pyrrhus of Epirus, who was such a god damned moron that he lost his army and fleet retaking a city from a massively smaller roman force

Or the absolute clown show that was Selucid and Ptolemy rule

The greeks militarily were massive goobers, who had like one strategy, and Phillip beat them with this ingenious thing called "horses" lmao

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 4, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Hegemon, centralist monsters
:hmmyes:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheRat posted:

Yeah I'm gonna have to pass on that one

Yeah I had it DVRed and was just about to put it on last night but when I saw the info I did a 360 and moonwalked out of there

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There's a woman on my sister's FB who whenever my sister posts pro-Corbyn stuff writes a comment that 'I won't vote Labour while Corbyn is leader'. On another bit of FB - our local town group - she's always posting that she's a life long LibDem voter. It's like all those folk who wrote that letter to the Graun such as Joanna Lumley - bezzie mates with Johnson - who 'won't vote labour because of Corbyn and anti-semitism' when they've never voted Labour and never will vote Labour in their whole entire lives.

I reckon that's exactly it. People for the most part don't like to admit that they're selfish and mean. That's painful and might mean rethinking their motives. They'll gratefully accept the cognitive dodge that people like Lumley have provided. Most likely they haven't even consciously thought about it; the LIFELONG LABOUR BUT THESE CORBYNS pattern is just stamped into their Broca's areas.

Doorknocking was pretty positive tonight. Most of my doors either Labour or talkative undecided types who responded well to stuff on the NHS and environment. Also ended up with a Brexity wife/#FBPE husband combo which was an interesting baptism in amateur doorstep marriage counselling.

Thread's had an emotional evening and I'm wary of bringing in my bullshit. I'll just say it's good to think and talk about how we manage our feelings. There's so much pressure to flinch away from negative feelings and uncritically repress them. That's disastrous for our health. Not that we should bin our filters - Azza described how high expressed emotion can be unhelpful and counterproductive for its recipients. But if we take time to examine our feelings, our numbnesses, our instinctive reactions, we'll all be better equipped to survive the stressors of late capitalism, and better placed to fight them.

Solidarity. It's a hard slog. Families are the worst of it sometimes. I've pestered a job lot of strangers, but the idea of engaging with my mam's politics beyond sending her fire-and-forget shitposts about WASPI fills me with a sense of powerless dread. Don't feel daft for crying at tough times or old songs, and don't feel bad if you need to get your head down and power through. Just please take that moment and take care of yourselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Graham norton looks a lot like david mitchell with a beard.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Whereas the Tories just call theirs Hedge Funds

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Im so endlessly amazed that people can see the millions of “lol Abbott can’t count” jokes on Twitter and think “Yes, I am the funny man, let me throw another one on the pile.”

loving Christ, just blocking these idiots on sight now.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Who lives on an elephant in the Indus Valley?
Resplendent and mighty and Porus is he!
If classical nonsense is something you wish
My elephant will charge and you will go squish!

Good King Porus!
Good King Porus!
Good King! POOOORUUUUUS!

*elephant trumpets*

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Slag off Hannibal next, history buffs!

Shogi posted:

Doorknocking was pretty positive tonight. Most of my doors either Labour or talkative undecided types who responded well to stuff on the NHS and environment. Also ended up with a Brexity wife/#FBPE husband combo which was an interesting baptism in amateur doorstep marriage counselling.

Love to hear it and thanks for being out there, it's flipping cold round here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deketh posted:

Slag off Hannibal next, history buffs!

A massive step down from Silence of the Lambs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Octolady posted:

Im so endlessly amazed that people can see the millions of “lol Abbott can’t count” jokes on Twitter and think “Yes, I am the funny man, let me throw another one on the pile.”

loving Christ, just blocking these idiots on sight now.

I suspect it gives certain people a more acceptable way to attack her