Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Isn't almost every single (Rob Liefeld) Image comic from the 90's kind of like this. First one or two issues come out, then nothing for about 8 months, then maybe an issue, then nothing again, then possibly a reboot? Also, wasn't there some weird stuff going on with some Image/some other publisher who I can't be arsed to remember crossover where the issues from the image side were months behind causing a lot of grief for the other publisher who was expecting to rake in the big Image bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

Isn't almost every single (Rob Liefeld) Image comic from the 90's kind of like this. First one or two issues come out, then nothing for about 8 months, then maybe an issue, then nothing again, then possibly a reboot? Also, wasn't there some weird stuff going on with some Image/some other publisher who I can't be arsed to remember crossover where the issues from the image side were months behind causing a lot of grief for the other publisher who was expecting to rake in the big Image bucks?

Yeah, that's Deathmate.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Isn't almost every single (Rob Liefeld) Image comic from the 90's kind of like this. First one or two issues come out, then nothing for about 8 months, then maybe an issue, then nothing again, then possibly a reboot?

A lot of the Image books had that problem to some extent since they were freelancers who had no idea how to run a business suddenly being in their own boss and running a huge business. Liefeld is easy to single out, but Lee and Silvestri weren't much better at that time (Portacio had issues, too, but there's also some extenuating circumstances so I wouldn't want to lean too hard on that). In Deathmate you put those attitudes next to Valiant which was founded by Marvel's most in control editor-in-chief and where the company retained that culture after he left, and it's not hard to see how it fell apart hard.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Stranger posted:

A lot of the Image books had that problem to some extent since they were freelancers who had no idea how to run a business suddenly being in their own boss and running a huge business. Liefeld is easy to single out, but Lee and Silvestri weren't much better at that time (Portacio had issues, too, but there's also some extenuating circumstances so I wouldn't want to lean too hard on that). In Deathmate you put those attitudes next to Valiant which was founded by Marvel's most in control editor-in-chief and where the company retained that culture after he left, and it's not hard to see how it fell apart hard.
Which culminated in someone from the Valiant side going to Liefeld's house/studio (I forget which one) and refusing to leave until he did his pages.

I've idly wondered what would have happened if Shooter had actually successfully bought Marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was Bob Layton and he sat on Liefeld's doorstep until he finished, then inked the art himself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone here use Collectorz.com? I started using them about a month ago when comicbookdb.com announced their closure.

Today I tried to add a movie to that part of the site. Now I'm being told I can only do that if I use their software, rather than their website. iOS or desktop. Did that just change? I'm about to charge them back on my credit card. I'm already paying a yearly fee for the website, now they want me to pay another subscription for the software? (Or really three, since I use the comics, movie, and music parts.)

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

IUG posted:

Does anyone here use Collectorz.com? I started using them about a month ago when comicbookdb.com announced their closure.

Today I tried to add a movie to that part of the site. Now I'm being told I can only do that if I use their software, rather than their website. iOS or desktop. Did that just change? I'm about to charge them back on my credit card. I'm already paying a yearly fee for the website, now they want me to pay another subscription for the software? (Or really three, since I use the comics, movie, and music parts.)

The desktop software and the *Connect website have always been two separate subscriptions. I think you get a trial of one if you buy a sub for the other.

You can't add anything from the CLZ Cloud website, either. That's just for viewing you collection.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

the guy from Semisonic posted:

The desktop software and the *Connect website have always been two separate subscriptions. I think you get a trial of one if you buy a sub for the other.

You can't add anything from the CLZ Cloud website, either. That's just for viewing you collection.

I added my comic collection without an app though, all through Safari on MacOS. I only used the apps to speed up adding movies and music since it had the barcode scanner. Something changed last night because now if you press the button to add in Safari, you get that pop up instead. Feels like bait and switch to me, to disable that function right after the trail ends.

EDIT: You know, I just looked again, and it's just the movie part of the site that requires the app to add. That's weirdly specific. Music and Comics I can add in a web browser still. And now this topic has nothing to do with comics anymore!

IUG fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 11, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IUG posted:

EDIT: You know, I just looked again, and it's just the movie part of the site that requires the app to add. That's weirdly specific. Music and Comics I can add in a web browser still. And now this topic has nothing to do with comics anymore!

It's one of the two places I've bookmarked to migrate to Post Crisis on Infinite Comicbookdb Shutting Down, so I'm interested nonetheless.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

It's one of the two places I've bookmarked to migrate to Post Crisis on Infinite Comicbookdb Shutting Down, so I'm interested nonetheless.

I'm liking it a lot, thus me buying up other sections of the site after checking it out for just comics originally. I haven't done a whole lot for comics yet, as they're far more specific that ComicBookDB was. I'm finding more variants than what I had on ComicBookDB, so now I'm going to have to go through my drawers and pull out the issues and make sure I have what I said I had on ComicBookDB.

Here's my library on there so far, if you wanted to browse what it looks like:
https://cloud.collectorz.com/nobleoccum/comics
https://cloud.collectorz.com/nobleoccum/movies
https://cloud.collectorz.com/nobleoccum/music

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 11, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

IUG posted:

I'm liking it a lot, thus me buying up other sections of the site after checking it out for just comics originally. I haven't done a whole lot for comics yet, as they're far more specific that ComicBookDB was. I'm finding more variants than what I had on ComicBookDB, so now I'm going to have to go through my drawers and pull out the issues and make sure I have what I said I had on ComicBookDB.

Here's my library on there so far, if you wanted to browse what it looks like:
https://cloud.collectorz.com/nobleoccum/comics
https://cloud.collectorz.com/nobleoccum/movies
https://cloud.collectorz.com/nobleoccum/music

Ooo, a selling tab. I could remove the Google spreadsheet I created!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

Ooo, a selling tab. I could remove the Google spreadsheet I created!

That's just a separate tab I made myself. They have a way to automatically get you prices, but it relies on another site/service and your ability to figure out your grading.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't really care about grading. I've been giving them away when I can. I will probably just drop a box off somewhere eventually. I just wanna keep track of that stuff separately.

Still, neat. I can make a comiXology/digital tab, then!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I looooove the app. Scanning books makes it so much easier for me to enter new issues when I pick them up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have there been successful comic creators that have come to the medium late in life 40/50+ area? (I'm not looking to do this, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bessantj posted:

Have there been successful comic creators that have come to the medium late in life 40/50+ area? (I'm not looking to do this, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler)
I think it depends on how you define "coming to the medium"?

There are plenty of successful writers who wrote their first comic well into their career, especially lately; Ta-Nahesi Coates, WIlliam Gibson, Chuck Palahniuk, Margaret Atwood, John Lewis, etc. etc. etc.

Similarly, Darwyn Cooke was in his 40s when he wrote/drew his first published comic book, though he'd been working in animation and commercial art for years before that. Frequent Garth Ennis collaborator I think is in a similar boat, but he was working as an animator for Disney for a couple of decades prior to getting into comics.

But probably the best example is Emil Ferris, who was 55 when her first graphic novel My Favorite Thing is Monsters came out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Frequent Garth Ennis collaborator I think is in a similar boat,

thats a strange name

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

thats a strange name
I meant Russell Braun but edited the sentence poorly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

There are plenty of successful writers who wrote their first comic well into their career, especially lately; Ta-Nahesi Coates, WIlliam Gibson, Chuck Palahniuk, Margaret Atwood, John Lewis, etc. etc. etc.

Similarly, Darwyn Cooke was in his 40s when he wrote/drew his first published comic book, though he'd been working in animation and commercial art for years before that. Frequent Garth Ennis collaborator I think is in a similar boat, but he was working as an animator for Disney for a couple of decades prior to getting into comics.

But probably the best example is Emil Ferris, who was 55 when her first graphic novel My Favorite Thing is Monsters came out.

And there's a lot of people who have moved into creative fields late in life. It's not an every day thing, but it happens pretty regularly.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I didn't know this! I liked that book a lot but didn't go digging around for information much.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

thats a strange name

Maybe they were inspired by Alan Moore Original Writer and decided to take a new name?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Yes, I should have fleshed that bit out more. I know that authors are likely to manage it as well as artists. I was more thinking something like "He was a mechanic for 30 years but always wanted to put out a comic and it just took off." type story.

Though thanks for the other information.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It doesn't really fit the bill but I'm 37 and it's wild to me that Romita Sr was only about a year younger than me when he took over from Ditko on Spider-Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, I miss Darwyn Cooke.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lobok posted:

It doesn't really fit the bill but I'm 37 and it's wild to me that Romita Sr was only about a year younger than me when he took over from Ditko on Spider-Man.
True, but he had also broken into the business like a decade and a half earlier, and Romita was just about the youngest Marvel creator when he started on Spider-Man; younger than Ditko/Kirby/Lee/Wood/Everett/Buscema/Heck at any rate; I guess Roy Thomas was a lot younger and was hanging around by then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edge & Christian posted:

True, but he had also broken into the business like a decade and a half earlier, and Romita was just about the youngest Marvel creator when he started on Spider-Man; younger than Ditko/Kirby/Lee/Wood/Everett/Buscema/Heck at any rate; I guess Roy Thomas was a lot younger and was hanging around by then.

Yeah he wasn't some dude who just walked in the door. And he had been illustrating before comics. It just is striking to imagine being that age (mine) and being given that job when I tend to think of great, redefining artists as young guys.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
In my case, my first Marvel job was in 2010, when I was... 26? But then I didn't really do much for a while after that (16 pages in 8 years) until I started working regularly in the back end of 2018. Now, at 36, I'm working enough for it to be my actual job.

Edit: that said, my road to working in comics was super weird as I never really did any creator-owned stuff, I've mainly been very lucky that the right people have been seeing and liking my work and keeping me in jobs.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 22, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
and i hope it continues to be so

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been reading Lazarus and just picked up Risen. Do I need to read x+66 first? I was under the impression that it was a side story, so I skipped it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
What does the typical upper-tier DC superhero, at about the time of a bit before Zero Hour, think happened during the Crisis on Infinite Earths? Say, someone who would have had access to Justice-League-level info on it, but wasn't active yet when the Crisis happened?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Immediately following COIE it was revealed that almost none of the heroes remembered the Crisis. In Zero Hour Waverider found the archive and was traumatized by what he discovered.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Which hero has had the longest time between resurrections? How long was Bucky dead for, I thought that was a long time? Has there been a hero that died in the 40s and was resurrected in the 2000s?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

maltesh posted:

What does the typical upper-tier DC superhero, at about the time of a bit before Zero Hour, think happened during the Crisis on Infinite Earths? Say, someone who would have had access to Justice-League-level info on it, but wasn't active yet when the Crisis happened?

IIRC, after Crisis, the only character left in the main universe who remembered the multiverse was the Psycho-Pirate, and he was hopelessly insane. A few other characters (Alexander Luthor from Earth-3, Kal-L and Lois Lane from Earth-2, and Superboy Prime) remembered what happened, but they were off in a pocket dimension ... at least until Geoff Johns decided to bring Superboy Prime back. Of course, a lot of DC's main characters were rebooted post-Crisis to fit the new continuity, and they didn't seem to remember much about the Crisis. I do recall that in the early issues of Wally's run as the Flash, he remembered that Barry had died fighting some cosmic menace, but he was vague on the details.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was an editorial edict to be vague when referencing the Crisis. This stayed in effect until 1994 with Zero Hour.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

bessantj posted:

Which hero has had the longest time between resurrections? How long was Bucky dead for, I thought that was a long time? Has there been a hero that died in the 40s and was resurrected in the 2000s?
Bucky is a little tricky in the sense that his death is fixed to a 'real' year (1945, 'near the end of World War II') but in the actual published comics a character named Bucky survived the end of WWII and appeared in comics through to the mid 1950s. (Later all of the stories from 1945 onward would be retconned as different people taking on the Captain America and Bucky mantles).

Bucky was revealed to be dead in Avengers #4, which came out in 1964, almost twenty years after he 'died' in the fictional universe.

Of course with the sliding timescale being what it is, by the time he officially comes back in 2006, it's been 42 'real' years and over sixty comic-book-years since his death, which is probably one of the longest periods for a major character that doesn't involve reality reboots.

There are a ton of other Golden Age characters who didn't appear for 30-70 years before returning in modern/modern-ish comics, and in some cases those returns involve coming back from being assumed dead, but if no one ever mentions you outside of a Marvel Universe appendix or something, does it really count when you come back as a 'resurrection'?

DC continually doing reboots complicates things a fair bit for this, since (for instance) Jonathan and Martha Kent died when Superman was 18. They were just plain old dead from 1938 into the 1950s, where they started appearing in Superboy stories (flashbacks to before Superman was 18) which was when Ma and Pa actually got first names, but in present-time they were still dead for about fifty years, until after Crisis on Infinite Earths when John Byrne and company decided they were still alive when Superman was an adult. But technically that's New Earth Ma and Pa Kent, and (as of 2007) Earth-1 and Earth-2 Superman still exist/exist again, and their Ma and Pa Kents are still dead.

New Earth Pa Kent died in 2008, and New Earth was seemingly erased in 2011, replaced with Earth-0, the New 52 Earth, where Ma and Pa Kent died when Clark was a teenager again. But it was revealed in Doomsday Clock #12 that Doctor Manhattan had manipulated New Earth to kill Ma and Pa to see if it would stop Superman from being so gosh darn heroic, and at the end of the series he brought them back to life.

So Ma and Pa Kent were dead for fifty years (except in a few hundred flashback stories about Superboy) from 1938-1985, but they were also different people on different worlds. There are a lot of similar examples throughout the DCU.

But other long-term major character deaths that got reversed were:

Barry Allen: "Dead" from 1986 to 2009 (23 years)
Norman Osborn: "Dead" from 1973 to 1996 (23 years)
Jason Todd: "Dead" from 1988 to 2006 (18 years)
Harry Osborn: "Dead" from 1993 to 2008 (15 years)
Jean Grey: "Dead" from 2004 to 2017 (13 years)
Sinestro: "Dead" from 1994 to 2006 (12 years)

Also based on group shots of all of the resurrected mutants popping up in X-Men, Changeling (dead from 1968 to 2019, 51 years) is right up there for longest time between death and resurrection, though he's a much more minor character than any of the ones listed above.

Technically Mar-vell, the original Captain Marvel, died in 1982 and was resurrected in 2012 in an Avengers vs. X-Men tie-in, but he died again four issues later and it was forgettable enough that I well, forgot about it, but that's a thirty year gap. Though they'd done a fake-out version of Captain Marvel getting resurrected a few years earlier in the lead up to Secret Invasion, which makes doing it for realsies four years later even more confusing and forgettable.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 23, 2019

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edge & Christian posted:

Bucky is a little tricky in the sense that his death is fixed to a 'real' year (1945, 'near the end of World War II') but in the actual published comics a character named Bucky survived the end of WWII and appeared in comics through to the mid 1950s. (Later all of the stories from 1945 onward would be retconned as different people taking on the Captain America and Bucky mantles).

Bucky was revealed to be dead in Avengers #4, which came out in 1964, almost twenty years after he 'died' in the fictional universe.

Of course with the sliding timescale being what it is, by the time he officially comes back in 2006, it's been 42 'real' years and over sixty comic-book-years since his death, which is probably one of the longest periods for a major character that doesn't involve reality reboots.

There are a ton of other Golden Age characters who didn't appear for 30-70 years before returning in modern/modern-ish comics, and in some cases those returns involve coming back from being assumed dead, but if no one ever mentions you outside of a Marvel Universe appendix or something, does it really count when you come back as a 'resurrection'?

Technically Mar-vell, the original Captain Marvel, died in 1982 and was resurrected in 2012 in an Avengers vs. X-Men tie-in, but he died again four issues later and it was forgettable enough that I well, forgot about it, but that's a thirty year gap. Though they'd done a fake-out version of Captain Marvel getting resurrected a few years earlier in the lead up to Secret Invasion, which makes doing it for realsies four years later even more confusing and forgettable.

What complicates Bucky's deaths is all the fake outs where villains implied he was alive. Or when Death brings back Bucky to fight the Avengers.
Or in PAD's Hulk where he hinted that one of the Pantheon was secretly Bucky and he faked his death at the end of World War 2.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Edge & Christian posted:

Also based on group shots of all of the resurrected mutants popping up in X-Men, Changeling (dead from 1968 to 2019, 51 years) is right up there for longest time between death and resurrection, though he's a much more minor character than any of the ones listed above.

Isn't this Changling the same guy as Morph, who has been an Exile since the early 2000s? Or was "Morph" the codename for the same guy, but from the Age of Apocalypse who then ended up as an Exile?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CzarChasm posted:

Isn't this Changling the same guy as Morph, who has been an Exile since the early 2000s? Or was "Morph" the codename for the same guy, but from the Age of Apocalypse who then ended up as an Exile?
Sort of? Changeling was a Silver Age X-Men character who looked like a basic white brunette dude in his default form, and could make himself look like anyone, more of a Chameleon power-set than anything. When they killed off Professor X in the late 1960s as the book was flailing towards cancellation, they revealed a year or two later that it was actually Changeling pretending to be Xavier that was killed, because Xavier was in a safehouse trying to psychically ward off an alien invasion.

The X-Men cartoon series in the early 1990s used him as inspiration for Morph, the character introduced to die off in the pilot two-parter. He was also just a white dude in that.

A couple of years later Morph showed up in the Age of Apocalypse timeline as part of Magneto's X-Men, which is where he got his Blank White look, as well as the power to sort of morph into anything -- a person, an animal, a wall, a vehicle, etc.

A few years after that a different reality's Morph is part of Exiles for a very long time, and also has like full Plastic Man morphing powers too.

I read very little Exiles so I have no idea if they officially established that 'their' Morph was an alternate universe version of Changeling or if they're just two mutants who happen to have the same category of powers, but regardless the official 616 Changeling was dead from 1968 to 2019, in the same way that Uncle Ben has stayed dead since 1962 despite Ultimate Uncle Ben, Movie Uncle Ben, Alternate Spider-Ben, Evil Clone Uncle Ben, etc. etc. etc. appearing throughout the past sixty years.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It trips some people out when I tell them Green Goblin was dead for significant part of Spider-Man's history.

Doc Ock is the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SonicRulez posted:

It trips some people out when I tell them Green Goblin was dead for significant part of Spider-Man's history.

Doc Ock is the guy.

With the caveat that it was only Norman who was dead. "The Green Goblin" stuck around.