Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Hirohito's revenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We basically know now why Donnie is orange.

It ain't natural and it's oddly not tanning.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1202406242540503040

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1202406006749351944

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

god dammit i use irish spring

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Wasn't he a GS?

A “colonel equivalent” GS!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
He wasn't a GS-15. That's the COL equivalent.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He did say he was a some rank equivalent didn’t he?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he said he was an 0-6 equivalent

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Is that Marlon Brando

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

You should get an actual good soap.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

he said he was an 0-6 equivalent

O-5 equivalent iirc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

orange juche posted:

Is that Marlon Brando
Yes, in The Island of Dr. Moreau ('96)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes, in The Island of Dr. Moreau ('96)

I figured it was that poo poo movie because I still remember vague broad strokes of the plot from the one time I watched it in like 1998. Also remember pasty white makeup dude in weird robes.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Me too

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
IIRC he was a contractor that, like many contractors, was paid the same or more as a GS14/15. Because he said he was 'basically the equivalent' but wasn't.

Never in my five in a half years so far of contracting have I ever heard another contractor claim this.

edit: he also had a ~security clearance~ because he worked on a facility that required it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I remember the O-5 equivalent bit, but I thought he was a GS. That makes it dumb, but as a contractor...what the gently caress.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The O5 equivalent part isn't even all that stupid on the surface, because there is a legitimate comparison done (O5/GS14, O6/GS15) but that's mostly because of how billets, responsibilities, expected experience, and portfolio/financial concerns line up.

Maybe he was a contractor that got a GS position, I don't remember.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah but any Lanyard that earnestly describes themself as rank-equivalent to a bunch of enlisted and previously enlisted is a giant turd dressed in a polo shirt and 5.11 trousers when deserves every ounce of mockery

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Whoopsie daisy

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you wear 5.11 trousers i judge you no matter what

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if you wear 5.11 trousers i judge you no matter what

War criminal or aspires to be one, 100% of the time

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Wasn't he a GS?

Also is that video the reason for :toot: or was :toot: around first?

Still is a GS, and all around nice guy outside of these forums.

He was a GS-14 at the time of his active days on SA, Grover, Me, and VileRat started the SIPR mailing list in pre-GiP days where we took D&D discussions up to the SECRET//NOFORN level. SIPR E-Mail in those days included civilian GS ranks. No idea if they still do. But his GS-14 tank was on his email name in global.

As much as it pains me to say it, he was technically correct to call himself an O-5 equivalent.

One of our sailors here had the collateral duty of taking out Grovers trash at work at the end of the day. And Grover was super nice to the guy and was generally Un-Grover like when encountered outside SA.

Groverhaus might be the funniest thing in the world to me, from the insulated stairs to the thermostat in one of the mismatched windows.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

War criminal or aspires to be one, 100% of the time

::looks down:: checks out

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Groverhaus might be the funniest thing in the world to me, from the insulated stairs to the thermostat in one of the mismatched windows.

I don't know what the opposite of a tour de force but that is what :grovertoot: is

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

He was a GS-14 at the time of his active days on SA, Grover, Me, and VileRat started the SIPR mailing list in pre-GiP days where we took D&D discussions up to the SECRET//NOFORN level. SIPR E-Mail in those days included civilian GS ranks. No idea if they still do. But his GS-14 tank was on his email name in global.

As much as it pains me to say it, he was technically correct to call himself an O-5 equivalent.

One of our sailors here had the collateral duty of taking out Grovers trash at work at the end of the day. And Grover was super nice to the guy and was generally Un-Grover like when encountered outside SA.

I remember those SIPR email days although I never got in on it myself. I'm pretty sure enterprise email on SIPR and NIPR include GS pay grade in the same field as rank (or CTR for contractors).

It's more of a positional thing vs pay grade. Like, you can have an O-5 who is a staff officer, or a squadron commander; and you can have a GS-15 that is an engineer not in charge of anyone, or a deputy commander/technical director/what have you, that sort of thing. I don't know what Grover was doing though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Thanks for clearing that up! It sure seemed like the accepted story was that grover was some contractor with delusions of grandeur. Turns out that was only accurate in terms of his own house. :grovertoot:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

O5/6es that turn SETA are my favorite contractors

Half of them appreciate their new role and loosen up without having all the responsibility they're used to

The other half lose their minds at being subservient to Lieutenants

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fallom posted:

O5/6es that turn SETA are my favorite contractors

Half of them appreciate their new role and loosen up without having all the responsibility they're used to

The other half lose their minds at being subservient to Lieutenants

Years ago one of the contracts I worked with who was a retired Army LTC pre-9/11 would say things like "I know what LTC Last Name would do/say; First Name, don't give a poo poo." He always thought that once his kids were out of the house that his wife was going to put him in a coma and stash him at a VA hospital as a vegetable to keep getting his retiree pay.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

facialimpediment posted:

Thanks for clearing that up! It sure seemed like the accepted story was that grover was some contractor with delusions of grandeur. Turns out that was only accurate in terms of his own house. :grovertoot:

this is the first time in 8 years on this forum that it has been spelled out that clearly. Just alot of "lol the civvy thinks he military"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

No, he isn't/wasn't. There are very important legal distinctions. You can use it as a rough ballpark for level of responsibility, which is probably what he intended but executed in the worst way, which was his wont.

Edit: The things that stick in my mind about Grover are the O-5 equivalence, the haus, the list of OIF predictions, and the Katy Perry purge.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
As a civilian, you outrank everyone in the military, that's what the Constitution says :smuggo:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Godholio posted:

Also is that video the reason for :toot: or was :toot: around first?

:toot: was there first, :grovertoot: is the result of a poster having the same thought they have in the video a couple of years (?) back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought the technical GS equivalency also had origins with the rules of war, so some civilian engineer in the front could wear a regular uniform so as not to be considered an irregular combatant if captured.

Probably an urban legend? Or if true was some WWI/WWII thing that was obsolete pretty quickly?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think it's also so people know where the ambassador's assistant, CIA station chief, and SECDEF office front desk attendant are supposed to be seated at a fancy dinner.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

You can be a regular normal goon and also be an “X with delusions of grandeur” on the Internet. In fact being extremely online pretty much requires some flavor of broke brains

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the technical GS equivalency also had origins with the rules of war, so some civilian engineer in the front could wear a regular uniform so as not to be considered an irregular combatant if captured.

Probably an urban legend? Or if true was some WWI/WWII thing that was obsolete pretty quickly?

It's very much dependent on the GS job.

As an example, the US Air Force has the Air Force Engineering and Technical Services. They're GS civilians who work as trainers and technicians in comm and maintenance.

They're required to maintain the same medical, physical, and training standards for deploying as uniformed members of the military. When they deploy, they wear Air Force camo fatigues and carry weapons, and are recognized as combatants under the Geneva Conventions.

On the other hand, your average GS doesn't need to be deployable, and if they do go out the door, they're not legal combatants.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

No, he isn't/wasn't. There are very important legal distinctions. You can use it as a rough ballpark for level of responsibility, which is probably what he intended but executed in the worst way, which was his wont.

Edit: The things that stick in my mind about Grover are the O-5 equivalence, the haus, the list of OIF predictions, and the Katy Perry purge.

Dude, just google GS-14 military equivalent.

Here I’ll do it for you:

It’s the common and accepted equivalency. It doesn’t directly translate legal responsibilities and military command authority etc, but for pay grade equivalency it’s what’s commonly used.

He expressed it in the dumbest most asinine way possible, but what he said wasn’t complete bullshit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
FWIW, most organizations outsides of government have a similar equivalency chart somewhere, usually hidden in HR.

It’s for poo poo like paygrades, dumb privileges (who gets to WFH) and responsibilities (who gets to decide what or approve what).

The cruise ship I worked on straight up had posters with what passenger area you were allowed in off-duty depending on how many stripes your shoulder boards had (or how many your position would get if you had an uniform).

Spoiler alert: the whiter you were the more places you had access to.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The rub was, back in the days that he was saying that poo poo 90% of mil goons were E-1 to E-4, and O-1 to O-3, so he was definitely trying to flex nuts with power he didn’t have.

It was an astounding display of dumbassery. Level 10 poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Arc Light posted:

It's very much dependent on the GS job.

As an example, the US Air Force has the Air Force Engineering and Technical Services. They're GS civilians who work as trainers and technicians in comm and maintenance.

They're required to maintain the same medical, physical, and training standards for deploying as uniformed members of the military. When they deploy, they wear Air Force camo fatigues and carry weapons, and are recognized as combatants under the Geneva Conventions.

On the other hand, your average GS doesn't need to be deployable, and if they do go out the door, they're not legal combatants.

Just loving lol at "maintaining the same physical standards" and "carrying a weapon" for any of the AFETS reps I ever knew

For instance, one of the two AFETS reps at the maintenance unit next door is easily 280-300 lbs, squat, and probably has never run a quarter mile in his life, let alone qualified on a weapon.