Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Charles Austin always claimed that Jannetty explicitly told him not to put his hands out to break his fall. I...don't know if I find that credible? WWE definitely should have been vetting guys better, he was hurt in their ring, they didn't really have injury/medical protocols at the time, and they didn't put up a great defense, though, so I have no gripes over him getting the big settlement, though. More here (headline ain't mine): https://deadspin.com/todays-wwe-began-with-a-tragic-injury-and-a-devastating-1834404325

WRT Linda vs. Colon, I went with Linda. If we're going with Colon strictly on grounds of "covered up a murder" then I feel like "covered up serial child molestation and tried to smear the most vocal victim as a liar/false accuser in the media while simultaneously suing a former employee who accused her husband of rape for intentional infliction of emotional distress" as part of a MUCH larger slate of documented awfulness pretty easily "wins" this matchup. Besides, Linda can't go out in the first round!

Also, I mentioned this earlier on Twitter and can't remember if I mentioned it here, but WRT Lawler-related stuff, please make sure to not just carefully read my Deadspin article from last year, but also the underlying source documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

#justiceforbrody

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
#StandUpForWWE

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1202281667462926336

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
As far as I know Jake only hurt himself for the most part, as well as not being around for his daughter. And you could say showing up to events in no condition to perform. But what lovely things has he done to other people?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i voted for austin because unless roberts did something unspeakable his lovely childhood accounts for a lot

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I feel like having Grizzy Smith as a father is a pretty good reason for being a drug addict well into your sixties.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would like to say that being a bad and/or absent parent is worth more than has been mentioned previously in terms of shittiness. "Stone Cold" is one bad dude however!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Better than being a hands-on parent like Buck Zumhofe.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Jake isn't really a good person and has a lot of stories of him being an absolute dirtbag but there is also a lot that explains why he was such a dysfunctional person. It's not an excuse but it is an explanation. Also I don't think he's a wife beater. The wife beating is really what wins it out for Steve.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As far as I know Jake only hurt himself for the most part, as well as not being around for his daughter. And you could say showing up to events in no condition to perform. But what lovely things has he done to other people?

He would call up a promoter he was friends with and tell him he needed $500 to bail himself out or he wouldn't make the show. The promoter knew it was BS, but he needed Jake on these shows so he'd pay.

Jake eventually scammed him out of $10,000 or so. The promoter never asked for the money back when Jake got his life together, but recently was diagnosed with cancer and reached out to Jake, Jake ignored him.

Jake was pretty notorious for no showing or holding up promoters back in the day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It says a lot about that the state of wrestling that I think Austin's seeded a bit too high for 'just' wifebeating. Still voted for him though. gently caress off Steve.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
For better or worse, I have sympathy for Jake. I reckon that some of this is related to everything DDP has publicly done for him. It's no secret that when someone self-destructs as hard as Jake did that you leave a wake of damage behind you, but drat. I may love Austin as a performer but there's nothing even close to that for him. Easy vote for Austin here.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

He would call up a promoter he was friends with and tell him he needed $500 to bail himself out or he wouldn't make the show. The promoter knew it was BS, but he needed Jake on these shows so he'd pay.

Jake eventually scammed him out of $10,000 or so. The promoter never asked for the money back when Jake got his life together, but recently was diagnosed with cancer and reached out to Jake, Jake ignored him.

Jake was pretty notorious for no showing or holding up promoters back in the day.

There we go, thank you.

And I was not attempting to downplay being an absentee father, I apologize.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Rarity posted:

It says a lot about that the state of wrestling that I think Austin's seeded a bit too high for 'just' wifebeating. Still voted for him though. gently caress off Steve.

I feel like seeding in this tournament will ultimately work itself out through the matchups, but it's wild that someone like Vince is a 3 seed (which is understandable given who is above him) but Austin is a 4 seed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Seams posted:

I’m voting for Linda or Vince over everybody else in this tournament.

vince seems like a shoe-in for champ since he personally enabled almost all of these fuckers

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It seems like both Jake and Austin have at least attempted to change, and either will get knocked out next round.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also while i don't think lawler is the worst person in wrestling history(though he's still pretty loving up there) he would definitely clinch some kind of Most Garbage prize

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I will say that Austin is the one person who feels overseeded. He got added in early and when it came to moving people around I really didn't want to move him down because I'd seen interviews with Debra.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Yinlock posted:

vince seems like a shoe-in for champ since he personally enabled almost all of these fuckers

that’s exactly my reasoning. most of the people on this list are only responsible for their own shittiness as horrible as that may be. Vince played a part in 90% of all of them, in either an active or passive role.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Seams posted:

that’s exactly my reasoning. most of the people on this list are only responsible for their own shittiness as horrible as that may be. Vince played a part in 90% of all of them, in either an active or passive role.

The thing that puts him over the edge is that we know how tightly he runs the company as essentially a dictatorship and story after story about how WWE operates basically puts him as the final say on every single thing that the company does, so even in the stories where he might otherwise be absolved are given greater weight just because we know how hands on he is with poo poo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Brody was stabbed because Invader heard a rumor that Brody was gonna start a new promotion with a lot of Colon’s talent. I don’t think Colon ordered the hit but he def covered up. Colon and Brody were not cordial but there’s a zillion better ways to quietly kill a dude.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one thing i think could have been done, and colon would be alive today if he'd done it, is to kill bruiser brody with kindness. i'm editing this post so quickly that you can't tell it was edited in order to say that i know carlos colon is still alive. that doesn't contradict what i said if you'd pay better attention. what's done is done, though; I don't want you to go back and try to correct yourself, or correct someone or whatever since it's in the past.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It seems like both Jake and Austin have at least attempted to change, and either will get knocked out next round.

I've seen this before and asked and never really gotten an answer... has Austin actually done anything to "try and change?" Has he apologized publicly, condemned his own actions, spoke out against domestic violence, donated time or money to women's shelters, or anything? Because as far as I'm aware all Austin's done in terms of rehabilitation is not get arrested for beating a wife in awhile. But I'd love to be wrong and find out he's made a genuine knowable effort or change.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 5, 2019

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Yinlock posted:

also while i don't think lawler is the worst person in wrestling history(though he's still pretty loving up there) he would definitely clinch some kind of Most Garbage prize

Maybe some sort of lifetime achievement award? Most Awful Through Five Decades?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1202415904417624067?s=19

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Yeah this one isn’t even close.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Obviously I'm voting for Moolah but my heart is fully feeling "gently caress Enzo."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Enzo being part of a bad MSG angle that probably blew up in ROH's face is amazing and he sucks but this is an easy win for Moolah who could win the whole thing

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Pity vote to Enzo for what will be a shellacking

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I've seen this before and asked and never really gotten an answer... has Austin actually done anything to "try and change?" Has he apologized publicly, condemned his own actions, spoke out against domestic violence, donated time or money to women's shelters, or anything? Because as far as I'm aware all Austin's done in terms of rehabilitation is not get arrested for beating a wife in awhile. But I'd love to be wrong and find out he's made a genuine knowable effort or change.
He had a massive painkiller problem at the time. Which isn't an excuse, but it does seem like it exacerbated a lot of issues to make him the worst possible version of himself. While he's not allowed to talk about the case, he has made numerous attempts on his podcast to do what he can to discuss it within those limits.

It's not necessarily "enough" or close to it, but it's there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

davidbix posted:

He had a massive painkiller problem at the time. Which isn't an excuse, but it does seem like it exacerbated a lot of issues to make him the worst possible version of himself. While he's not allowed to talk about the case, he has made numerous attempts on his podcast to do what he can to discuss it within those limits.

It's not necessarily "enough" or close to it, but it's there.

By any chance could you direct me towards it? Because like, I've been asking this question for years now because to me it just feels like fans really want to like Austin so they're writing in that he's had some big change. I get that maybe he doesn't have the same substance abuse problems he had then but like, they're not an excuse for what he did and what he did was a pattern, not an isolated incident. And I'm all for forgiveness and reform but its kind of gotta be earned and I feel like fans gloss past that part with Austin to get back to enjoying him.

But if its out there I definitely would be curious to check it out and maybe get rid of this lovely resentment I have towards the general wrestling community.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hopkins FBI posted:

Maybe some sort of lifetime achievement award? Most Awful Through Five Decades?

Vince would still have him beat.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

By any chance could you direct me towards it? Because like, I've been asking this question for years now because to me it just feels like fans really want to like Austin so they're writing in that he's had some big change. I get that maybe he doesn't have the same substance abuse problems he had then but like, they're not an excuse for what he did and what he did was a pattern, not an isolated incident. And I'm all for forgiveness and reform but its kind of gotta be earned and I feel like fans gloss past that part with Austin to get back to enjoying him.

But if its out there I definitely would be curious to check it out and maybe get rid of this lovely resentment I have towards the general wrestling community.
Not offhand. I haven't listened in forever because he basically stopped doing new episodes, and he had mostly stopped doing interviews long before that. But there are a bunch of episodes where he uses buzzwords about "needing to get his head out of the business" in that era. There's a smaller amount where he explicitly talks about how he thinks that his painkiller use during the early 2000s was his problem much more than his drinking. It's not a single episode thing as much as it was a pattern when substance abuse and cutting ties with wrestling would come up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Enzo's generally a creep and probably a sex pest, but Moolah was a full on human trafficker

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Honestly I don't even think Enzo deserves to be in these brackets. He's an rear end in a top hat and probably a sex pest, but compared to literally everyone else in this...yeah. He comes off as the least lovely person in the entire thing by a wide margin to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

davidbix posted:

Not offhand. I haven't listened in forever because he basically stopped doing new episodes, and he had mostly stopped doing interviews long before that. But there are a bunch of episodes where he uses buzzwords about "needing to get his head out of the business" in that era. There's a smaller amount where he explicitly talks about how he thinks that his painkiller use during the early 2000s was his problem much more than his drinking. It's not a single episode thing as much as it was a pattern when substance abuse and cutting ties with wrestling would come up.

I dunno. I feel like that's my problem with the Austin thing. It feels like people equate the substance abuse and the domestic abuse and I don't like that. He's worked on the substance abuse and I'm happy for him (and those around him) but like... he still beat (at least) 2 women. And I'd feel a lot better if he just said something like "I was a horrible person who hurt people and I'll try to even those scales the rest of my life by donating to safe houses or crisis lines" or something. I don't know. I just feel like I've seen a lot of "I had problems" and no "I was a woman beating piece of poo poo."

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Just a loving windmill slam for Moolah here. Just me being that meme of a dude having to pulled away from mashing a button.
When 'Destroyed the Credibility of Women's Wrestling for over 50 years' isn't close to the worst thing you've ever done you are a frontrunner to win this entire wretched monster parade.
In short. gently caress sex traffickers and gently caress Moolah. I wish I could pray hell into existence so she would know punishment for her sins.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that was a good slam dunk by ChrisBTY. not great, but good. a good starter for the dunk contest. let's go to the judges for your score. 10. 10. 10. 10. ok well now there is nowhere to go in the contest. every good dunk has to be all 10s or it isn't fair any longer. way to go judges. the judges are stupid as hell, and don't care about their roles. gently caress this. i never watch the dunk contest and this is why. but i forgot this time. i'll never forget again until next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Moolah was my original pick to take the whole drat thing