Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I sleep in the middle of my queen sized bed and generally have my girl cat, D.D., sleeping next to my head/pillow on the right side (she is usually there all night too) and then usually wake up in the morning to find one of my boys, L.T., sleeping next to my head on my left hand side, although he respectfully gives me a few inches of space (he also usually spends some of the night there). L.T. used to have his own special pillow there to sleep on, but he stopped using it for some reason so I got rid of it.

My other boy, Oscar, doesn't like sleeping with me and has his own special chair that he sleeps on. It used to be an old computer chair for me and I found out he liked to sleep on it after I got a new one and kept the old one around for a while. So now it's exclusively his chair and covered in his fur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Greta is desperate for people and one of her first forays was to sneak into the bed to snooze by my knees. Gus also occasionally likes to snooze on me, usually by my chest. Greta does not like this, but has apparently decided to tolerate it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The only time I had problems with litter in the bed was when we had an older cat who was having toilet problems and would spread litter all over the room just getting in and out :(

Also I had an rear end in a top hat cat (that was a friend's I was cat sitting for a time) that I regularly had to not only kick out of the bedroom, but lock in the bathroom because he was obsessed with food and started getting hungry at 4 am.

My cats now are perfect :angel:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I've noticed something weird about my cat and web research has come up empty. They are hard to see so a picture is not going to help. On the outside of the ear, on the skin on top of it, about a quarter of the way from the scalp towards the tip is... what kind of feels like a scab? Small bumps which feel like a scab on the outside of both ears. The cat has not been acting differently at all and seems perfectly healthy and happy and does not even seem to mind when I touch them, but I am a little concerned. Any idea what they may be?

What makes it so weird is that if it was a scab from a cut or tumors or irritation from something they touched or something it seems unlikely it would do that on both ears, but it is in the same spot on both ears. On the outside, where the fur is, near the base, above a quarter of the way from the base of the ear out towards the tip.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 5, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sweetheart would rather just sleep under our bed instead of in it with us. :iiam: She can jump up just fine, she's done it before, but it's really uncommon.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Just did a full litter change and Artichoke is going completely beserk in there. He's loving it

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Diogines posted:

I've noticed something weird about my cat and web research has come up empty. They are hard to see so a picture is not going to help. On the outside of the ear, on the skin on top of it, about a quarter of the way from the scalp towards the tip is... what kind of feels like a scab? Small bumps which feel like a scab on the outside of both ears. The cat has not been acting differently at all and seems perfectly healthy and happy and does not even seem to mind when I touch them, but I am a little concerned. Any idea what they may be?

What makes it so weird is that if it was a scab from a cut or tumors or irritation from something they touched or something it seems unlikely it would do that on both ears, but it is in the same spot on both ears. On the outside, where the fur is, near the base, above a quarter of the way from the base of the ear out towards the tip.

It could possibly be some type of contact dermatitis. Cats can sometimes get contact dermatitis on ears if one of their humans habitually uses a hand lotion, soap, or household cleaner that they're sensitive to. (All those wonderful ear skritches :3: ) Can you see the bumps? What do they look like?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

cant help with a lot of those. but 4. I use pellet litters for my cats, no dust.

Hm...

I can't for the life of me remember why I switched to what I'm using. Ironically, I think it might have been because the old brand was producing too much dust.

What do all you good folks use?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soybean pellets, made from tofu waste.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Tofu litter as well, I just recently swapped to it.

The only downside is my two idiots refuse to bury their poops with it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I finally found litter that clumps, so I use whatever. For about a week, I could find Tidy Cat, but it's gone now. I'd rather switch to pellets, but I'm not sure that's financially feasible where I live. Blecch.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I use the wood pellets because it's cheaper even though i'm probably contributing to global deforestation! tofu pellets sound fuckin cool, the only version that never worked for me was the newspaper pellets.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

newspaper pellets are super cheap but they're non clumping so can get a bit messy

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I use whatever arm and hammer litter is cheapest for 41lbs at BJs. We get some litter tracked around in the bathroom/within a few inches of the lidless box, but no where else. Used to have more of an issue earlier this year when Basil was younger and uncoordinated. I've found other cheaper clumping stuff was Dusty enough to trigger my asthma :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm happy with Worlds Best Cat Litter, which I think is a wheat based one. It's probably dustier than pellets but the wheat means it clumps, but it's a lot nicer than the bentonite clay ones

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GenericGirlName posted:

I use whatever arm and hammer litter is cheapest for 41lbs at BJs. We get some litter tracked around in the bathroom/within a few inches of the lidless box, but no where else. Used to have more of an issue earlier this year when Basil was younger and uncoordinated. I've found other cheaper clumping stuff was Dusty enough to trigger my asthma :(

You should try using the Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal stuff in the black box. It's so much better than the A&H litter in the orange box. It clumps and stays clumped better, plus it's less dusty imo. Also because it stays clumped better, it lasts longer before you have to toss all the litter in the box. I don't remember actual numbers, but I feel like I would have to completely replace the litter from the orange box every 3-4 weeks but I can generally keep using the litter from the black box for like twice that time before I need to completely replace it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I think I might be the only person in the province with cats, based on how impossible it is to find basic supplies.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My cats alternate every couple weeks between sleeping with us and sleeping elsewhere. They're usually pretty chill to sleep with until 6:30-7am when the sun peeks through the blinds. That's when the big one starts headbutting me for food and the little one thinks my feet are gophers he needs to kill. If I get too aggravated I've got to lock them in their own bedroom where their food and toys are, because if I just toss them out of the room the big one will scream bloody murder and the little one has recently started scratching at the door.

TMMadman posted:

You should try using the Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal stuff in the black box. It's so much better than the A&H litter in the orange box. It clumps and stays clumped better, plus it's less dusty imo. Also because it stays clumped better, it lasts longer before you have to toss all the litter in the box. I don't remember actual numbers, but I feel like I would have to completely replace the litter from the orange box every 3-4 weeks but I can generally keep using the litter from the black box for like twice that time before I need to completely replace it.

I've been a fan of the A&H Slide. There's always some in the immediate vicinity of the litter box, but they don't seem to track it more than a foot or two.

The store was out yesterday, though, so I bought the Fresh Step Simply Unscented because it had good reviews. Hope they don't get mad at the change and poo poo on my bed or something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So one of my mom's cats is being weird.

She has 2 dogs, and 2 cats. The two cats are from the same litter.

One cat, the grey one, has this bad habit of peeing on the leather couch in the living room.

My mom has tried all the different sprays and repellents she can think of, she's tried putting objects on the couch and the cat just pees on the pillow/chair/plastic tote.

The cat even peed on ME when I was crashing on the couch the night before Thanksgiving. Literally climbed on me and, while rubbing and headbutting me, let loose.

The other weird thing is that said pee is very dilute. It didn't visibly stain the fabrics, and has almost no scent.

The other cat doesn't do this at all as far as we can tell.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has the cat been to see a vet?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm so envious of folks who can let their cats in their rooms! I can't because

1: they wake me up in the dead of night to tell me how much they love me.
2: the one pissed on my bed last time.
3: and the time before.
4: their paws are often filthy from the dust from their litter.

We can't have closed doors. Closed closet? rear end in a top hat paws at it until he moves the track enough to get in

Closed bathroom door? Meows and paws under it. If you open it he wanders away

Closed bedroom door? Meows and paws at and under it. But at least on this one he'll come inside and lay on the bed. If you leave him locked out he destroys stuff

Even Bean doesn't like if the bedroom door is closed and paws at it. Only she wanders away when it opens.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Aside from exits to the outside world, I have one closed door in my house and that is to the bedroom closet. Whenever I open it, I almost always get one cat coming around hoping to get inside and if I take too long all three of them come around. But then I get to ask them all the Simpsons quote "What is your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?" when I shut the door in their faces.

They've only gotten in a few times in the 8-9 years or so I've had them.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

TMMadman posted:

Aside from exits to the outside world, I have one closed door in my house and that is to the bedroom closet. Whenever I open it, I almost always get one cat coming around hoping to get inside and if I take too long all three of them come around. But then I get to ask them all the Simpsons quote "What is your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?" when I shut the door in their faces.

They've only gotten in a few times in the 8-9 years or so I've had them.

Meanwhile Toaster

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Newly opened doors are a fascination for my cat, at least interior doors. Thankfully he doesn't try to dart outside. But wardrobe, closet, hamper, third floor, he's gotta check them out.

I've at least trained him that if I rattle the doorknob it means he'll be trapped alone for a few hours so he'll come out and I don't have to hunt for him

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My closet has always been a cat-free zone for the sole purpose of keeping cat hair off my work clothes. Jackson continues to be fascinated by the Forbidden Zone, even after spending 6+ hours trapped inside once when I wasn't paying enough attention on my way to work that morning.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
What can I do to help my indoor cats be less of a loving victim the instant some dipshit assbitch (me) lets them escape by accident? i tried leash and harness training but nobody but me enjoyed that. Collars, I guess?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Synthbuttrange posted:

Has the cat been to see a vet?

I'll ask if she's taken her to the vet for this specifically, but in general all the animals have been to the vet for spay/neuter, are up to date on all their shots, etc.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DarkHorse posted:

Newly opened doors are a fascination for my cat, at least interior doors. Thankfully he doesn't try to dart outside. But wardrobe, closet, hamper, third floor, he's gotta check them out.

I've at least trained him that if I rattle the doorknob it means he'll be trapped alone for a few hours so he'll come out and I don't have to hunt for him

I can get my Salem out of any hidey-hole simply by opening the utility closet door.

It doesn't latch properly so one time I had to fish him out from behind the furnace. That's always a good time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Parents went out and got a pair of cats. They were bonded at the shelter and they both only have one good eye, they appear to be sisters. Right now they're hiding in the bathroom under the sink since they've only been home a few hours. I wanna pet dem kitties but I gotta wait until they're fully chilled out, hard as that is.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Chasing and brawling are actually good, as those are a form of play.

The best thing you can do is leave them alone for a while, and let them work out their own relationship. There may be some hissing and swatting, but that's how cats communicate. As long as they keep their claws in, everything is cool.

Intervene if either of them draws blood.

Posted a few pages ago about my resident cat (June) being a dick to my new kitten (Mila) and wanted to give an update.

I've gone back to keeping them separated for the time being, aside from feeding them on opposite sides of stacked baby gates. This past Sunday I got home late from hockey and gave them a midnight snack on each side of the gate. Turned around for half a second and the Mila climbed up and over the two gates. June saw her from about 20 feet away, got all poofed and went full low cat mode. Mila ran under the coffee table and June ran over and basically started attacking her under the table. There was much yowling/screaming but no blood. I got them separated and put June back in the bedroom. Came back out, comforted Mila for a minute and checked for any wounds, then went to check on June. Both were fine. Came back out and Mila was back in kitten mode, rolling around kitty kicking her stuffed hedgehog.

However, when I looked over by the battleground I found a small turd. June literally scared the poo poo out of Mila.

They've been separated like I described since then and their interactions by the gates is fine. Mila ignores June for the most part. June stares a lot and will occasionally stand up against the gate and all that. Against the advice of everyone I got a cat bed a while back that June literally never touched. Mila's been sleeping in it in her safe room. When I swap them around, June now sleeps in that bed and will spend most of the night sleeping outside the safe room door.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think I am being wayyyyy too cautious and should maybe let them dance a bit, as long as there's no blood?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SixPabst posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that I think I am being wayyyyy too cautious and should maybe let them dance a bit, as long as there's no blood?

Yes. Let them sort it out. They will figure their respective places and moods soon enough.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SixPabst posted:

Turned around for half a second and the Mila climbed up and over the two gates. June saw her from about 20 feet away, got all poofed and went full low cat mode.

This is gonna keep happening as long as you continue to separate them most of the time. They're past the phase of introduction now, they need to figure out how to live with each other full time.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

- Sex: female
- How long have you had your cat?: 1 year
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: Yes
- What food do you use?: Royal Canin gastrointestinal prescription food
- When was your last vet visit?: 6 months ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors only
- How many pets in your household?: Just the one
- How many litter boxes do you have?: One

Few of things I want to ask about :

1. I know having two cats is generally better than having one due to them having a playmate so they don't get bored, however, the rescue my cat came from were very clear about her not getting along with other animals at all. I tried introducing her to my parent's extremely chill and non-aggressive schnauzer and it didn't go over super well to say the least. Is this just a thing about some cats where they simply cannot get along with other animals? I wish I could get another cat for her to spend time with, but I'm too worried I'll come home to one of them severely injured or dead.

2. My cat has early signs of pancreatitis, and the vet had me put her on a diet of Royal Canin gastrointestinal prescription food. I've given her some temptations treats every so often, but I'm not really sure if that's okay? I'd hope a few treats occasionally wouldn't cause issues. Additionally, her coat on her back near the tail has always been kinda rough and dry, but she's starting to have a lot of dandruff and I'm not sure if it's due to the food or something else.

3. Lastly, her left eye has part of her Iris attached to the lens. Like the Iris actually comes up from the pupil and is stuck to the inside curve of lens of her eye. The vet has said this is likely from an old injury, but the rescue didn't know of any previous injuries that could cause it. Vet also said it isn't painful, but since she isn't my cat, and I feel like my eye would hurt from it, it seems like it could be detrimental. Cat doesn't act like she has vision problems though, so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Additional image for cat tax.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 7, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not qualified to answer the health questions, but as for your first one: yes, some cats don't like other cats/animals. It's a normal variation in temperament, and while she may need more socialization and play with humans to meet her needs, it's okay as long as she's doing well and seems happy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

People who say you should get two are usually referring to KITTTENS, as they have way too much energy that they need to get out and it's easier to give them a playmate. It's much harder to introduce adult cats to another new pet.

And yeah, as said, some cats do not get along well with other animals.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Branch Nvidian posted:

- Sex: female
- How long have you had your cat?: 1 year
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: Yes
- What food do you use?: Royal Canin gastrointestinal prescription food
- When was your last vet visit?: 6 months ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors only
- How many pets in your household?: Just the one
- How many litter boxes do you have?: One

Few of things I want to ask about :

1. I know having two cats is generally better than having one due to them having a playmate so they don't get bored, however, the rescue my cat came from were very clear about her not getting along with other animals at all. I tried introducing her to my parent's extremely chill and non-aggressive schnauzer and it didn't go over super well to say the least. Is this just a thing about some cats where they simply cannot get along with other animals? I wish I could get another cat for her to spend time with, but I'm too worried I'll come home to one of them severely injured or dead.

2. My cat has early signs of pancreatitis, and the vet had me put her on a diet of Royal Canin gastrointestinal prescription food. I've given her some temptations treats every so often, but I'm not really sure if that's okay? I'd hope a few treats occasionally wouldn't cause issues. Additionally, her coat on her back near the tail has always been kinda rough and dry, but she's starting to have a lot of dandruff and I'm not sure if it's due to the food or something else.

3. Lastly, her left eye has part of her Iris attached to the lens. Like the Iris actually comes up from the pupil and is stuck to the inside curve of lens of her eye. The vet has said this is likely from an old injury, but the rescue didn't know of any previous injuries that could cause it. Vet also said it isn't painful, but since she isn't my cat, and I feel like my eye would hurt from it, it seems like it could be detrimental. Cat doesn't act like she has vision problems though, so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Additional image for cat tax.

For 2, our cat is about a year into chronic pancreatitis after having discrete flare ups all her life (She is a chimera and had some interesting stuff going on around her liver. The first vet fixed what she saw when she was a kitten but who knows what is going on with all the rest of her tubes.)

Discuss the food concerns with your vet- maybe you can switch to another food or supplement something. (Though usually you add fats for coat issues and you definitely can't do that here.) I'll bet a quick call in about treats and food concerns is something your vet can do so you don't have to go in again. (At ours they'll take a message and call me back with what the vet says unless it's complex.) Our cat's coat is definitely affected by food so it's a reasonable thing to ask. There are also GI treats available, though I think they're more easily digestible than specific to pancreatitis.

Our issue sounds different than yours--we have nausea problems and trouble keeping on weight so our vet is just happy we can get her to eat and isn't concerned with prescription food in our case.

The cat gets monthly B12 shots and those help tremendously so keep those in mind if you progress with the illness to a chronic state. (B12 deficiency is common with chronic pancreatitis.) She's also on a steady dose of steroids and those have cut the flare-ups down significantly in frequency and strength.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, she wasn't eating much and was throwing up almost daily when I took her in. She wasn't underweight at the time, but I could tell she was thinning out some. Since putting her on this food though she's back to how she was before being playful and putting on weight, only hacks up hairballs super rarely. I'll ask the vet about her coat though since I'm worried she might be having dry skin issues or something. Thanks!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Trip report with the new 1 year old cats who just moved in. One of them wanted out of the bathroom after about an hour and then took a tour of the house. She's intensely friendly and I had to accompany her on the tour because if I got out of sight she'd start to cry. So she intensely inspected her new home but kept running back to me every minute or so for some pats and reassurance before diving back under the couch. It was super adorable, she loves to be held as well.

Her sister hasn't left the bathroom yet, but if you go in there and sit with her she'll come out and get some attention from you. She doesn't want to sit in your lap or be held or anything yet but she was playing with some toys and had a bite to eat while I sat with her. I think with time she'll be a perfectly friendly cat, if a little shy compared to her sister.

They're both slim little calicos who have non-functional right eyes and look more or less identical. I'll try to get a picture at some point. Seems like Mom got good cats.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
My vet said that Temptations in particular are high in fat, which can be , but see what your vet says. An alternative treat would be to dice a portion of plain roast chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. If you put them in a bag and freeze them, you can take one or two out at a time to give as treats. They thaw really quickly if they're diced small enough, and they are low fat and high protein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TofuDiva posted:

My vet said that Temptations in particular are high in fat, which can be , but see what your vet says. An alternative treat would be to dice a portion of plain roast chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. If you put them in a bag and freeze them, you can take one or two out at a time to give as treats. They thaw really quickly if they're diced small enough, and they are low fat and high protein.

Generally, if you're giving your cat enough treats that their nutritional content makes a difference, you're giving it too many.