Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

J-Spot posted:

It’d be nice if there were a way to switch to a life bar, but this is not a new problem if you’ve ever tried to design around any other power up. There’s various workarounds depending on your level design but as long as you make sure the player can kill themselves to restart I think most serious players will look past it.

I really wish there was a 1-hit-kill option so that you could make levels with "keep your powerup" requirements without the extra step of killing yourself after you lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can always hit the Retry button.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

In Training posted:

You can always hit the Retry button.

Sure, as long as you haven't hit a checkpoint yet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Sure, as long as you haven't hit a checkpoint yet.

You can't use checkpoints if you have an objective in your level.

Of course it's still bad design that your only option with failed objectives is to either die or go to the menu and hit retry. They should've just made it a one hit kill

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Of course it's still bad design that your only option with failed objectives is to either die or go to the menu and hit retry. They should've just made it a one hit kill
No retry from start is a useful function that should exist separately from return to last checkpoint.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do we have a time for when the update drops?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Do we have a time for when the update drops?

I don't think so. I see Nintendo has maintenance scheduled from 4:50 PM - 6:30 PM pacific for "online play of some software" so that could potentially be update time.

Edit: Just got a notice that there's actually going to be maintenance in an hour so it may be coming even sooner.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 5, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The update is out! Course world is still down but you can download it and start making some levels.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I haven't used my joycons in a while. My left joycon is just drift city at this point. I can't really build levels this way with it constantly drifting in a different direction. I looked up prices of joycons. EIGHTY loving DOLLARS? Are you MENTAL, as the brits say

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Macaluso posted:

I haven't used my joycons in a while. My left joycon is just drift city at this point. I can't really build levels this way with it constantly drifting in a different direction. I looked up prices of joycons. EIGHTY loving DOLLARS? Are you MENTAL, as the brits say

Nintendo will replace them for free. Call them.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Going live with level creation:

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They appear to have changed the way maker points are calculated. I went from around 12,000 to 16,000 points and jumped up from around 140 to 82 on the all-time maker leaderboard.

edit: and suddenly it adjusted again to 106 on the leaderboard. Weird.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 5, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I have to improvise a little bit but the boost pads allow me to do a minecart level better than the car does

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Spike balls roll when separated from their spike. Observe.

Spike Ball Blitz

MX6-8TT-PMF

Relatively easy speedrun. Just figured I'd upload the results of my experiments.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I made a zelda level

Tried to find a use for everything in the toolkit minus the down thrust. Also played around with new parts. Its not the hardest stage as people are probably just getting used to Link and I want people to beat it, but I hope treasure hunting is fun enough :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Having played a few Link levels, it seems to be great for puzzle stuff. The arrows can be used to hit P-switches and other things at a distance, and bombs can destroy hard blocks and pass through obstacles like sawblades. The shield has some pretty obvious applications for a simple timing challenge.

Link can move powerups around with his sword, too. I saw one level where you had to push a second Master Sword powerup past a number of obstacles and physics challenges so that you could reacquire the Link power after a damage filter you were forced to hit.

Between that and the snowballs, a lot of new puzzle options seem to be opening up for the SMB1 style.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Links bombs grow feet and run around in night themes btw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Having played a few Link levels, it seems to be great for puzzle stuff. The arrows can be used to hit P-switches and other things at a distance, and bombs can destroy hard blocks and pass through obstacles like sawblades. The shield has some pretty obvious applications for a simple timing challenge.

Link can move powerups around with his sword, too. I saw one level where you had to push a second Master Sword powerup past a number of obstacles and physics challenges so that you could reacquire the Link power after a damage filter you were forced to hit.

Between that and the snowballs, a lot of new puzzle options seem to be opening up for the SMB1 style.

Great. More puzzle levels. That's my favorite part of Mario

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
3BC-HB9-2TG

Here's a pretty decent Link level someone found if you want to get a handle on how Link controls.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

We got 70th place on the Ninji Speedrun! It's hard to optimize.

Here's the level we created. There are 30 1-ups in the level and you need to find 15 of them. Each path through the cave is different and features multiple challenges (mostly showcasing the frozen coins, with a dash of Spike and Pokey) - it's unlikely you'll see everything this level has to offer the first time through.

Choose Your Own Iceventure

HV8-7LJ-PMF

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a quick list of what music/sounds are different when Link is active:

• Overworld, Sky, Forest, Underwater, Desert & Snow: Zelda 1 Overworld Theme
  • Underground, Ghost House: Zelda 1 Dungeon
  • Airship, Castle: Zelda 1 Death Mountain
  • Peaceful SFX: Zelda 64 Fairy Fountain (New NES arrangement)
  • Bonus Stage SFX: Zelda 64 Horse Race (New NES arrangement)
  • Boss Music SFX: Zelda 2 Battle (FDS Version)
  • Final Boss SFX: Zelda 2 Final Boss
  • Finish Level (Castle): Zelda 1 Dungeon Clear Fanfare (with a cute little bonus animation...)
  • Finish Level (Every Other Theme): Zelda 1 Zelda Rescued Fanfare

• Ding Dong SFX: Zelda 1 Secret Found Fanfare (FDS Version)

I'm sure I missed something, though...

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Spike balls home in on you in ground night theme.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sam Faust posted:

Spike balls home in on you in ground night theme.

I need to do something with this now. Do they just roll or do they float like some kind of terrible missile?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I haven't touched this game in a good long while, but I have two levels of questionable quality to heap upon you out of nowhere!

Supermarket-Brand Grass Land: 3NG-NFS-T3G
Remake of a level from an old ROM hack of mine. I think this was originally intended for the kids jam, judging by the fact I originally saved it as "Your Dad Thinks You're Dumb". is any indication. Anyway, it's a run of the mill Grass Land level using 3D World, which is physically painful for me to work with (WHY CAN'T I STACK THINGS?)

You're Cactus, Jack!: 3G1-79Y-BKF
The obligatory Version 2.0 tryout level. A bit of there and back again, but be warned: You only have one shot at the "back again" bit. Lose your powerup and you're, well, you're cactus.

I'll submit 'em to the sheet later.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to do something with this now. Do they just roll or do they float like some kind of terrible missile?

Both. If they come out of Spike, they fly, but if they touch the ground or you spawn one directly, they roll.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sam Faust posted:

Both. If they come out of Spike, they fly, but if they touch the ground or you spawn one directly, they roll.

This is a awesome discovery.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This also includes if you bounce them off of Link's shield. They'll fall downwards and become normal spike balls.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't seem to be able to stack stuff on Pokey, or vice versa, which is kind of a pity.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't get why 3d world has access to the P Block and the new enemies but not the Frozen Coin.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't get why 3d world has access to the P Block and the new enemies but not the Frozen Coin.

Well, there goes the use I had in mind for frozen coins.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

My course is gonna have a challenging secret to find, that I kind of created by accident, get ready folks >:]

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Here ya go folks! The first course I've made in probably two months

Also there's a SECRET ROOM in this as well. Lemme know if you find it :) It's meant to be a bit challenging to get to

Boost Ball Blitz
3QH-VV4-9TF

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 5, 2019

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'll be playing all the post-patch levels tonight on stream. Keep em coming!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 6 PM PST/9 PM EST

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Spike Ball Blitz
By: Rather Watch Them MX6-8TT-PMF

2. Bottle Cave
By: This is a Cool Guy F5B-H9D-66G

3. Choose Your Own Iceventure
By: Little Mac HV8-7LJ-PMF

4. Supermarket-Brand Grass Lands
By: The Kins 3NG-NFS-T3G

5. Boost Ball Blitz
By: Macaluso 3QH-VV4-9TF

6. You're Cactus, Jack!
By: The Kins 3G1-79Y-BKF

=REDDIT LEVELS=

7. Link in Ice Caves
By: Popipepu P18-QSD-F9G

8. ImAGoodPers0n's level
By: ImAGoodPers0n R0P-77B-XGG

9. Saw Stompin' Shells
By: 251188 HQ0-XQS-YXG

10. The Prison of Kooparus III
By: IamRNG CLK-R9M-8FG

11. Bomb-Omb Mirage
By: LxRPR C40-GC1-7LF

12. LoZ: Link Braves Bowser's Fort
By: GdaTyler 1H2-7P2-96G

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I like the Ninji Speedrun a lot!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wendell posted:

I like the Ninji Speedrun a lot!!!

I assume that there's no slowdown, since the runs are all downloaded beforehand? Or loaded up all at once?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why would there be slowdown, it's just previous runs being played back as ghosts. This isn't live multiplayer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Why would there be slowdown, it's just previous runs being played back as ghosts. This isn't live multiplayer.

I think it's reasonable to just assume Nintendo would gently caress up some kind of online related thing, even if it's not live multiplayer

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Macaluso posted:

I think it's reasonable to just assume Nintendo would gently caress up some kind of online related thing, even if it's not live multiplayer

Full disclosure; I didn't expect there to be slowdown, since yeah, it's a bunch of previous run data. I just wanted to make sure. That part of the trailer instantly reminded me of every multiplayer game I've tried, which has lagged like crazy. Anyway, glad it's good.