Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What word best describes your year?
This poll is closed.
Twee 4 1.28%
Goose 34 10.90%
Strand 22 7.05%
Bowsette 115 36.86%
poo poo 46 14.74%
Kirby 31 9.94%
Sonic 14 4.49%
I told you I don't like these polls 46 14.74%
Total: 312 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

autumnal oddium posted:

remember in yugioh when he combines an arrow with a rotten mammoth and shoots a blue eyes with it and it merges and causes the blue eyes to rot away. now that's win

Remember in Yugioh where he balances a lighter on a guys hand over a pool of alcohol so if he moves his hand the lighter will fall and set him on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

season zero was hosed up

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finished Rage 2 thanks to gamepass. It was fine. That's all I have to say about it, it's honestly pretty forgettable.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Remember in Yugioh when Kaiba forced Yugi to let him win by threatening suicide and standing on a castle parapet?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1202392143282589696?s=20

i loving love Kirby SS. BoF2 is a cool add but i recently got a fan translation i've been meaning to play, no idea if it's an actual improvement but it would be difficult to be worse

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1202392143282589696?s=20

i loving love Kirby SS. BoF2 is a cool add but i recently got a fan translation i've been meaning to play, no idea if it's an actual improvement but it would be difficult to be worse

Excited for Super Punchout. That is a game I wanted to play when it was new but got to.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
superb, now just add SMRPG and eliminate the need for the SNES Classic entirely

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

superb, now just add SMRPG and eliminate the need for the SNES Classic entirely

Need?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The New Donk City Celebration is one of the most joyous platforming levels in the history of video gaming

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh maybe I'll play through Kirby Super Star. Feel free to make fun of me for getting confused by the menu system and only playing the one platforming subgame and thinking that was it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The New Donk City Celebration is one of the most joyous platforming levels in the history of video gaming

:yeah:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The gameplay in Odyssey has just been super boring and unchallenging.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddyssey has strong banjo tooie energy

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Cuntellectual posted:

Just know you're not alone. Yawned through the jumpstar set piece, myself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It does the Nintendo thing where the basic story campaign can be easily beaten by children and then all the super punishing challenges are after the credits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That mass effect ripoff game (Everspace? I'm already unsure of the name and I just closed the tab) is apparently around 4 hours long and consists of basically one area. Which isn't surprising for a budget rip off game, but still, lol

If you want something like old Bioware, get Greedfall. Yes, Spiders' other games were very janky, and French, and kind of bad, but Greedfall is actually legit. I found it way more satisfying than The Outer Worlds, for comparison.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

precision posted:

That mass effect ripoff game (Everspace? I'm already unsure of the name and I just closed the tab) is apparently around 4 hours long and consists of basically one area. Which isn't surprising for a budget rip off game, but still, lol

If you want something like old Bioware, get Greedfall. Yes, Spiders' other games were very janky, and French, and kind of bad, but Greedfall is actually legit. I found it way more satisfying than The Outer Worlds, for comparison.
I've been kinda thinking of picking this up. How viable is a ranged only build? Love me some old-timey firearms.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
odyssey would be better as a strand game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

precision posted:

the trailer had massive pop-in so i knew it sucked

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

I've been kinda thinking of picking this up. How viable is a ranged only build? Love me some old-timey firearms.

Guns are absolutely OP and fun as hell. You can basically pick two things to specialize in. I went guns and one handed blades so I could be Maximum Pirate, but guns and magic would likely be super fun too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

It's a very chill game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

It's a very chill game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aprvDnM5H6A

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

daemon ex machina getting witcher skins

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

autumnal oddium posted:

oddyssey has strong banjo tooie energy

:chloe:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The platforming is super good/it's probably the best Mario has ever felt but I don't like the earth gimmick

I wanna go to Sarasaland not new york

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want more doki doki panic

e: mario odyssey's biggest mistake was not including isle delfino

The second biggest mistake it made was not going all in on the dark souls kingdom.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really like how in AC Odyssey you start by being able to just climb everything but as you get to later areas you have to do a bit more work like the older AC games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Don't talk about both Odyssey games on the same page, it's too confusing

FirstAidKite posted:

e: mario odyssey's biggest mistake was not including isle delfino

It's weird the seaside kingdom could totally have been delfino. Maybe they just didn't want to reference Sunshine for some reason

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AC Odyssey lets you climb a giant rock penis in the first 10 minutes. Making it game of the year for 2018.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mutata posted:

Yes, these are the problems I mentioned being interested to see solutions for. I think VR is cool too and I work for a VR developer so I'm familiar with the paradigms. A game "converted" from VR to flat would certainly be a different experience but that also would be the whole point. I'd bet money on it happening with HL Alyx because people will want to play through it.

I think while there's a large difference in experience between 'picking up that can' in VR and doing it with a mouse and keyboard, the mechanics of each can absolutely be abstracted enough to allow both types of players to play through the sequence without it being QWOP or whatever. There's absolutely a middle ground between the 2 lol.

You end up having to build 2 entirely different games. The things that are balanced and fun and challenging for VR controls will be annoying for flat. Things that work for flat will be too complicated if you just tack on VR controls. You can't do both at the same time well. You can either do one well, or the other well, or you can do both lovely.

I mean, Valve could remake the game as a FPS using the same assets, but I think they'd end up removing so much of the game you'd beat it in 30 minutes and be bored. To then turn that into a full game worth buying for $60 would mean developing a wholly new game, which then wouldn't work as a VR game, and then if you tried to port that to VR....

you see?

homeless snail posted:

i see it as some ship of theseus poo poo, because to me the person that sees VR games and video games as two completely different things, one of big distinguishers is a lot of those kinds of mechanics just don't exist in VR games or are implemented extremely broadly. its not just mapping a different set of buttons to it, but entirely new mechanics have to be designed for those interactions

someone's absolutely gonna make a video game version of alyx, but the question is if they had to pretty much write an entire new set of mechanics in whole cloth, is it even the same game? its less a port and more the video game equivalent of a novelization

Exactly

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm interested to see what the weird reboot or whatever they're doing with the Abe's Oddysee sequel is, the Abe's Exoddus thing, and if they'll end up messing around with trying to redo Munch's Oddysee.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mutata posted:

That's fair, at least from design and fun theory points if view, but under the hood they'll still be very similar. HLA will still have sitting support, so there will still be a standard player controller that will be able to be steered via Xbox controller or whatever, for example. We'll see what valve comes up with, and I think any conversion will be janky, but fps games are still mostly straightforward systems.

I don't think it's worth the time and polish of a game developer converting one, but it's perfect for a mod effort.

I don't think that's right. Supporting seating doesn't mean supporting a controller. There are PSVR games that are seated but still involve motion controls. There are also seated games that use controller, but they don't have to.

I don't see Half Life Alyx having traditional controller support whatsoever. I think you're wrong there, and that's the whole problem.

FPS games are straightforward. VR games are not.

If Alyx has controller support, then flat-screen implementation will be trivial. They'd already do it, at that point. You'd just need a way to turn your head, which you could use a thumbstick for or you could use a head tracking camera solution. They would already advertise a flat-screen version if they were doing that. They're not doing that. That's the whole point, they're not doing controllers. You can't easily do controllers.

Watch the trailer again. Everything you do involves floating hands. The whole game is built from the ground up for motion controls. That's the whole point of the design and making you be Alyx and not Gordon.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 5, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok, I have to decide who i want to woo in Stardew Valley. At first I was thinking the Emo Kid but he said something about being happy with winter’s shorter days, so he’s out. Now I’m leaning Shy Bookworm but maybe only because I’d like to rescue her from continuing to live in a trailer with her fairly abusive mom?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really wish they'd made a sequel to Lost Odyssey. I had so much fun with it this year :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why is Mario farting on that dog?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Infinitum posted:

Why is Mario farting on that dog?

realism

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know where the awful and unfounded stereotype that Italians love to fart on dogs came from, but it has to stop now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

doing some extremely important work tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sex